Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If you buy the ebook it's apparently just the lovely pirated PDF, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are OCR corrected versions in epub and mobi available on official-looking sites. I know it's :filez: now but just today I was like "I want that ebook" and it was available and emailed to my kindle just fine and it's good quality. I would definitely not PAY for a lovely pirated PDF.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cichlidae posted:

I don't see why not, pee is more or less incompressible so it's not like the ocean's going to shoot up into your bladder.

Sagebrush posted:

^^^^ ignore this liar he's trying to kill you

no the pressure is so high that you can't even pee in the first place. the ocean would go inside your bladder and you would blow up.

I honestly can't tell who's telling the truth.

I mean besides the ocean going in the bladder. Everyone knows pee is stored in the balls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well the article from earlier mentioned a catheter set up so I'm guessing in a dry suit it's the latter. No idea if the pressure would equalize in a wetsuit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everything in your body is at the same pressure as the surrounding ocean anyway.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Arglebargle III posted:

Everything in your body is at the same pressure as the surrounding ocean anyway.

Except for the gas spaces - sinuses, ears, lungs, intestinal gas, and the like. Your sinuses will fill and empty themselves pretty well via your nose, your ears may need a bit more convincing, along with your diving mask. Your lungs are the most delicate cavity and it's remarkably easy to damage them if you try to breathe the same way you do on the surface.

I will admit I'm not a regular diver, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pee. If you can pee in a pool, the pressure differential there should be about the same. If you can't pee in the pool, there's something wrong with you. I've even heard that peeing in your wetsuit is an excellent way to keep warm, though that might've just been someone trying to prank me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Peeing in a wetsuit is so common that the running joke is “there’s divers that pee in their wetsuit, and those that lie about it”.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I mean I've definitely peed in my wetsuit at something like 40 feet, I just don't know about extreme deep diving.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

vOv posted:

I mean I've definitely peed in my wetsuit at something like 40 feet, I just don't know about extreme deep diving.

I guarantee this guy had to.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2014/9/ahmed-gabr-breaks-record-for-deepest-scuba-dive-at-more-than-1000-feet-60537

Looks like he was in a drysuit, but that’s nothing a condom-catheter and pee-valve can’t get around.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My most fun was barfing at 90 feet. I'd had rice and orange soda for lunch. The fish seemed to appreciate that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

My most fun was barfing at 90 feet. I'd had rice and orange soda for lunch. The fish seemed to appreciate that.

that sounds horrifying, taking the mouthpiece out and hurling and having to shove it back in and gasp for breath and then hurl again and back and forth :stare:

anyway someone get trig discipline in here with his story about having diarrhea while diving

e: i found this surprisingly thorough guide to throwing up underwater

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

that sounds horrifying, taking the mouthpiece out and hurling and having to shove it back in and gasp for breath and then hurl again and back and forth :stare:

anyway someone get trig discipline in here with his story about having diarrhea while diving

e: i found this surprisingly thorough guide to throwing up underwater

Don't even take it out. You can throw up through the reg :science: There's a single detail that everyone forgets the first time, though: put your tongue on the roof of your mouth before purging the reg, because anything that's in the reg has a chance of getting blown back into your mouth rather than being purged out of the exhaust vents. I was seasick before getting in the water one day and it hit me hard at around 40ft, where I threw up in my reg then through my nose into my mask. I blacked out and came to holding the tagline of the boat (back at the surface). You do make friends with all the little fish, though :)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Jesus Christ. We never went over barfing when I took diving classes. :barf:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Don't even take it out. You can throw up through the reg :science: There's a single detail that everyone forgets the first time, though: put your tongue on the roof of your mouth before purging the reg, because anything that's in the reg has a chance of getting blown back into your mouth rather than being purged out of the exhaust vents. I was seasick before getting in the water one day and it hit me hard at around 40ft, where I threw up in my reg then through my nose into my mask. I blacked out and came to holding the tagline of the boat (back at the surface). You do make friends with all the little fish, though :)

This right here is why SA is the best money I've ever spent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are the vent ports on a reg large enough to admit, uh, chunks?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

Are the vent ports on a reg large enough to admit, uh, chunks?

The Complete Guide to Throwing Up Underwater posted:

Smooth vomit will likely result from an empty stomach, ingesting foods with a soft or liquid consistency, or allowing oneself ample time to digest the food before diving. Smooth vomit is much more of a delight to encounter underwater as it will easily flow through the regulator and out the exhaust valve. Although it may coat the inside of your regulator, it is unlikely that any clogging or change in performance will result.

Chunky vomit often results from poorly chewed food and/or a recently ingested meal. If the body has not had the time it needs to properly digest the food, then the chunky contents of ones stomach will be sure to rear their ugly heads. With chunky vomit, the diver will face more of a challenge when expelling underwater. This consistency will be more likely to have trouble making its way through the regulator or lodge itself within the regulator. Cleanup may be more involved and inspection both under and above the water may be necessary to ensure proper functionality and avoid eating part of your meal a second time.

Because of the way a regulator is designed, anything that comes out of our mouth will enter the chamber through the mouthpiece and exit through the exhaust valve. For anything that may get hung up, the purge button should do an excellent job of blasting it out through the exhaust valve, but make sure to touch your tongue to the top of your mouth as a shield and inhale cautiously just in case. As previously mentioned, keeping the regulator in your mouth also ensures that normal breathing can be immediately reestablished once your groceries have been yodeled.

After getting over the breakup with your last meal, you will want to evaluate both your equipment and physical/mental stability. Switch to your clean, puke free secondary regulator and take a moment to swish some water around in both your mouth and primary regulator to help clear any remaining tastes, coatings, or debris. Conduct a brief inspection of your primary to ensure that no vomit remains inside and all accessible parts are functioning properly. If you are unable to verify that the primary regulator is performing properly, or if you refuse to use the pukey reg, ending the dive is recommended as one of your second stages has been compromised. If proper functionality is confirmed, some may choose to replace their primary, but others prefer to finish the dive on their secondary.

Once out of the water, the cleaning/maintenance process will be much more involved. If the regulator is a rental, please be courteous and try to give it a thorough rinse in fresh water before returning it. Be sure to let the facility know that it was thrown up in so they can take the appropriate steps to clean and inspect the equipment before offering it to another customer!

If the regulator belongs to you, then the cleaning can be as involved as you would like, but the following guidelines may help. Rinse the regulator second stage thoroughly with fresh water inside and out. You may want to allow it to soak for some time to loosen up any remaining matter. Be sure to swish the regulator around to dislodge any debris that may be left inside. If you want to be extra thorough, use a cleaning solution that is approved for scuba gear and scrub all accessible parts with a finger or soft toothbrush. If you want to freshen things up a bit, you can also spray or dip the mouthpiece in mouthwash.

Finally, if you have any remaining concern about whether the regulator is entirely cleaned and performing properly, some disassembly may be helpful. It is important to keep one’s training in mind when performing such maintenance on a regulator as it is a piece of life support equipment. If you are qualified to do so, removing the front casing from the second stage will expose the diaphragm and inner chamber of the regulator. Removing the diaphragm will allow you to see inside and be certain if any debris is left behind. From here, you can clean as necessary and reassemble. If you are not certified to do so, or question the performance of the regulator, take a quick trip to your nearest dive center to have a certified technician take a look at the regulator and determine whether any work is necessary.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I was doing some underwater fish collection work with some colleagues, including my wife. We were at a spot in Curacao with a really long surface swim, and had just finally made it out to the reef crest when my stomach basically turned over and said "Hey you're about to poo poo, explosively. We are not negotiating about whether that's going to happen, or when. At this point the only choice you can make is where." This was at a beach with no facilities, so my options were (1) poo poo in my wetsuit, (2) poo poo underwater but NOT in my wetsuit, (3) surface, peel my gear off, and just float at the surface above my colleagues shooting diarrhea everywhere, or (4) try to make it to shore, poo poo on the beach where other people were having a nice day in the sun, wash my rear end in the water, and then get back in.

Obviously none of those are great options. Option number two (lol) was clearly the one with the least casualties, but also the highest level of difficulty. We were only in about seven meters of water, though, and I do appreciate a good challenge, so I decided to go for it and swam away from my colleagues. The first issue was that my wife is a good dive buddy, so she wasn't going to let me get far enough away to have some privacy unless I explained the situation to her. I started to take my BC off and she got concerned, and asked me what the problem was with hand gestures. I pantomimed a fountain coming from my rear end. Then I pointed to myself and the substrate where I was kneeling ("I'm staying here"), and then pointed to her and back to our colleagues ("You go back - you don't need to see this"). She got the idea and left.

I peeled off my BC, which of course now meant that I was positively buoyant. So I had to try to peel off my wetsuit with one hand while holding onto my BC on the bottom with the other, with my reg in my mouth. I did manage to get my wetsuit either off or down to my ankles (I actually can't remember). Then I was faced with an issue of strategy: If I just sprayed poo poo where I was, it would get all over me, my suit, and my BC. Not good. So obviously what I needed was some way to poo poo while simultaneously moving away from the poo poo with all of my gear. I settled on sort of folding my BC closed and then crouching on the substrate like I was sitting in an invisible chair. With (if I do say so myself) perfect split-second timing, I leapt gently upwards and forwards right as I shat explosively, holding all of my gear in a tight bundle at my chest. I remember thinking as I did so how much I must look like the space shuttle taking off.

Anyway, it worked perfectly and I managed to expel the evil without getting any of it on my clothes, in my regulator, or on my colleagues. I came back to the group and my wife gave me an inquisitive "okay" sign, which I returned with a nonzero amount of smugness. Of course my colleagues are also goony idiots, so they thought this was amazing when I told them what happened later after we had gotten out of the water. One in particular (who is literally also a goon) said "holy poo poo, you did the Warhammer Maneuver?" That was a term I'd never heard. Turns out there's some guy named Warhammer on the scuba boards who's famous for making GBS threads underwater.

Warhammer: https://i.imgur.com/x7IuQvC.jpg :nws:

I think my solution was more hygienic and, given that there's another diver right above him, more considerate. Anyway, that's my story.

e: Actually come to think of it, I must have just left my wetsuit around my ankles. I would've had to take my fins off otherwise, and I definitely didn't do that. I dive with a 3.5mm shorty in Curacao, so it's not that bulky.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Jan 27, 2018

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Trig Discipline posted:

I dive with a 3.5mm shorty in Curacao, so it's not that bulky.

Surely the water isn't that cold there?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marcade posted:

Surely the water isn't that cold there?

A 3.5mm shorty is a relatively warm water suit. We sometimes dive with just shorts and t-shirts but that tends to get a bit chilly, particularly when you go deep oh gently caress I just got it :lol:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trig Discipline posted:

I pantomimed a fountain coming from my rear end.

This is championship level charades right here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trig Discipline you're my hero

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is up there with Moby Dick and The Old Man And The Sea among marine themed classics.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phy posted:

Trig Discipline you're my hero

not an empty quote :stare:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Funny, my instructor (PADI) had told us to take out our regulator to make sure nothing blocked it.

I've got pretty good breath discipline, so I took it out, hurled, waved away the orange and white cloud, put the regulator back in and hit the purge button.

I did get an OK check from my dive partner, so she was looking out for me.

My experience with the other end of things was in the boat coming back on a different dive. I decided a quick dip, a quick paddle away, shorts off and cut loose was better than fouling the boat. This was in the Philippines, so the boat was a wooden outrigger. Not sure if any one believed me, I said I "just needed to cool off" and nobody ever brought it up again.

Getting back to chemistry, I have a temporary blue tiger striped hand thanks to some squirting while setting up the blue bottle demo. Third day and it's still visible.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

This is championship level charades right here.

If you ever need to pantomime explosive diarrhea underwater, this worked for me: Make a fist, and hold it near your rear end, then move move your hand away from your rear end, rapidly spreading and wiggling your fingers. Repeat until the other person looks slightly alarmed but is also laughing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

I will admit I'm not a regular diver, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pee. If you can pee in a pool, the pressure differential there should be about the same. If you can't pee in the pool, there's something wrong with you. I've even heard that peeing in your wetsuit is an excellent way to keep warm, though that might've just been someone trying to prank me.
If you're diving a drysuit and expect to dive long enough that just taking a leak before you jump in won't be enough, you'll have a P-valve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_suit#The_P-valve

Long duration diving is not glamorous.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Peeing in a wetsuit is so common that the running joke is “there’s divers that pee in their wetsuit, and those that lie about it”.

I've just never felt the need to pee while diving. I mean, I've only got 40 or 50 dives under my belt in the many years since I got my licence, but with time in the water being less than an hour for most dives who can't hang on that long?
It goes without saying that more technical long dives are a different story, but surely that's a very small proportion of dives?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You made the right move. I saw someone fill a two-piece freediving suit with poop once. Turns out it's a bad call.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gromit posted:

I've just never felt the need to pee while diving. I mean, I've only got 40 or 50 dives under my belt in the many years since I got my licence, but with time in the water being less than an hour for most dives who can't hang on that long?
It goes without saying that more technical long dives are a different story, but surely that's a very small proportion of dives?

I've got coworkers at the dive shop (instructors and divemasters, both male and female) who say that as soon as they hit the water they're warming up the local area. Must be a reflex thing (cold diuresis, i think?). I drink more alcohol and caffeine than is sane or (likely) healthy, so I think it takes a bit more for me to feel it...then again, I've been in water down to ~48F without having to pee. I might not have noticed the feeling though, since I got tunnel vision fairly bad and could only think UP=WARMER at that point.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Trig Discipline posted:

With (if I do say so myself) perfect split-second timing, I leapt gently upwards and forwards right as I shat explosively, holding all of my gear in a tight bundle at my chest. I remember thinking as I did so how much I must look like the space shuttle taking off.

I think I actually injured myself laughing at this mental image.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I am in awe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you made goons.txt for that post btw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trig Discipline posted:

I was doing some underwater fish collection work with some colleagues, including my wife.

There was a long-ago post on alt.tasteless from a guy who had gotten food poisoning and was voluminously voiding from both ends. Sitting on the toilet, making GBS threads explosively, then having to stand up and turn around so he could puke explosively, and at some point the frequency of each maneuver ended up going resonant and he made a big mess of everything. It's one of the best things I've ever read.

Your post was right up there with that. And with the other alt.tasteless post about the guy's anal fissure, which he named Bob.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks y'all, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. It's funny because we train extensively as research divers to meet OSHA requirements and then do the most wussy-rear end diving imaginable, so we're constantly feeling like we're way overtrained for the actual work we do. We actually did a lot of bailout drills where they'd throw all of your gear into the water and you'd have to swim down to it in just your bathing suit and get geared up before you come back to the surface. At the time you're thinking "literally when in history has this skill been necessary", and then something like this comes up and it's like "YES I TRAINED FOR THIS".

Gromit posted:

If you're doing relatively short dives in relatively warm water you may not feel the need. If you start doing colder dives, though, you get a thing called cold diuresis (as mentioned above by Icon of Sin). If causes you to pee like crazy. Which is actually kinda nice because if you're cold enough to cause diuresis, pissing on yourself feels like getting a hug and a mug of cocoa from your grandma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuresis#Cold-induced_diuresis

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Have you ever been so cold that pissing on yourself seemed like a comforting thought?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

rndmnmbr posted:

PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Have you ever been so cold that pissing on yourself seemed like a comforting thought?

I've been cold enough to get frostbite, cold enough to be scared to fall asleep, and fallen through ice and subsequently been very cold. Didn't warm myself tho. Either living close to the polar circle destroys the urge to piss, or I've lived horribly wrong.

And this thread is fantastic.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wearing underwear of frozen piss doesn't sound like good fashion.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMeNGLY2Zg

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Your post was right up there with that. And with the other alt.tasteless post about the guy's anal fissure, which he named Bob.

Holy crap! Another migrant who remembers alt.tasteless! And Bob the Anal Fissure!

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

you made goons.txt for that post btw

That's what brought me here