Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

GorfZaplen posted:

If 002 isn't the main pilot I'll probably drop the show because the teasing of that is the only interesting thing the show has done so far.

I really want to see Zero Two fire the franxx superweapon as the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

I really want to see Zero Two fire the franxx superweapon as the pilot.

But will the superweapon fire the pilot as ammunition, as happens in FLCL?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Depends on her grip, I suppose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sincx posted:

Just watched the first two episodes after hearing a lot about it.

:catstare: What the hell.

I had the same reaction, as I didn't expect it to be a giant robot allegory about erectile dysfunction.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Angry Grimace posted:

"DARLING IN THE FRANXX: A giant robot allegory about erectile dysfunction."

Thread title.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

That's not fair, I'm sure it'll be a giant robot allegory about all kinds of penis-related phenomena.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
"DARLING IN THE FRANXX: A giant robot allegory about stamens and pistils."

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
Manga translation is out with some background information, spoilered just in case:

Mankind made way too much borehole and screwed up the planet but Instead of mindworm it's Dinosaur attack on major population center. APE consists of the lead researchers who made all the fancy tech and most likely the ones responsible for all of this mess.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
🍆

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pacific Rimjob

Anyway this show continues the tradition of girls with 2 in their name being badass so I will try to ignore the skeeviness and enjoy giant megamans vs zekroms. Worked for KlK.

Maybe she will strangle Hiro to death.

Also if you have five robots that can turn into animal robots you can have a megazord so I will be hoping for that. That would be quite a striking cockpit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

McDragon posted:

Darling In the FranXX: Pacific Rimjob

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Jokes aside, I really hope this show doesn't take itself too seriously and start killing off main characters like Gurren Lagann.

But given it's the same creators, I have a bad feeling about this. Can't get too attached to any specific character.

sincx fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 25, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the only way for their death to be in vain is to not be attached to them

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Every time people start posting about killing off main characters in haremy shonen anime I just remember endless forum posts about other series but where the poster would have done everything differently and also kissed all the girls and their dad wouldn't take away their nintendo again. It's fun to think about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
famous gainax anime gurren lagann taking itself seriously and killing off characters at the end was good :twisted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Personally I hope they all die

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if show blows past pegging and goes all the way to rear end eating, then aoty i guess

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

DisDisDis posted:

Personally I hope they all die

Not the comic relief couple!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

sincx posted:

Jokes aside, I really hope this show doesn't take itself too seriously and start killing off main characters like Gurren Lagann.

But given it's the same creators, I have a bad feeling about this. Can't get too attached to any specific character.

I think the short haired quiet kid who has had only one line so far is the real mc

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Expect My Mom posted:

if show blows past pegging and goes all the way to rear end eating, then aoty i guess

Hell, I'm in.

E: at the risk of another gross joke, can someone bring the salad tongs?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

That's called powering up. It's like going topless or putting on sunglasses

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I like this show so far but jfc the "innduendo" is actually bothering me, and I've seen way more raunchier stuff. Not just the cockpit but I guess that's easily the most bothersome thing here.

Hiro doesn't bother me at all, I hated Shinji too but learned to appreciate his role and character. Hiro is way "better" than Shinji ever was. I dislike the mecha designs too.

I'd almost completely forgive the cockpits if
actually happened.

Also apparently I need to check Godannar.

Edit: v hate(d) as a teenager when I first watched it.

The cockpits probably feel more troubling than your average fan service because it's played completely straight in-universe and these kids don't seemingly even know what a kiss is. :psyduck:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lets talk about why you hate Shinji

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dessel posted:

Also apparently I need to check Godannar.
I vaguely remember that show and how the mechs could have some of the more practical, and impractical devices in the same series.
Like an inflatable cushion in the palms for catching falling civilians and in the same episode Breast located rocket launchers. I believe the latter belonged to the french robot for what it's worth.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 25, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Breast missiles are a classic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

Lets talk about why you hate Shinji

Reminds me too much of myself except without the bit where he gets better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sincx posted:

its not the same creators as gurren lagann. or at least, its not the same writers.

the director of franxx did the character designs for gurren lagann and some key animation on it. he did not write it or direct it. he didnt even direct a single episode of it.
the director of gurren lagann did some designs for franxx and is assisting with some of the action scenes. he did not write or direct any part of franxx.
the character designer of franxx did some key animation and eyecatch illustrations for gurren lagann. he had no writing involvement on either show.
the writer of franxx has literally zero involvement on gurren lagann. he wrote steins;gate. the original vn. thats what hes famous for.
the writer of gurren lagann has literally zero involvement on franxx.
They share approximately 5 key animators, outside of the roles I just listed.

There is no reason for the writing of Gurren Lagann to be a continuing trend into Franxx. It'd be like saying that Shape of Water is going to have to be an action movie because it has the same production company as some of the X-Men movies. Frankly, it makes even less sense than that, considering that the staff that made Gurren Lagann is currently split between three studios and only two of them are involved in this show, and for the most part the people that are making this show had mid-level roles on Gurren Lagann, not high-level creative ones. And only a few of the people making this show are that connected to Gurren Lagann anyway.

To give you a point of comparison, the staff of Franxx shares about as much staff with Your Name as it does with Gurren Lagann.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hiro being secretly 716 makes a whole lot of sense given how lovely he is piloting girl mechs. I wonder why he got promoted to the second highest member of the squad then (aside from being a generic protagonist)

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
He's got strong innate talent, he's just not a good fit for the Teenager Death Cult's strict gender roles.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hiro being secretly 716 makes a whole lot of sense given how lovely he is piloting girl mechs. I wonder why he got promoted to the second highest member of the squad then (aside from being a generic protagonist)

He tests well, he just can't get it up when he's actually asked to perform.

We also saw his sync with Ichigo hit 100 almost immediately before dropping to nothing, so it's not just a theoretical point. It's just, without 02, he's all potential. No kinetic.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Dessel posted:

The cockpits probably feel more troubling than your average fan service because it's played completely straight in-universe and these kids don't seemingly even know what a kiss is. :psyduck:
I think this is on purpose, and it's supposed to be hosed up and discomforting. These kids are being forced into sex for their society without having any kind of real emotional connection. I think that's really interesting! Some of the other fanservice makes me nervous about the show's ability to execute on this idea; it very much seems like it wants to have it's cake and eat it too.

I am fully prepared to eat my own words if FranXX fucks this up, but for now I want to extend it the credit and see where it goes. I have not been this genuinely curious about where the gently caress a show is going in ages.

Ed: unrelated, but the death of Kamina is the entire emotional crux of Gurren Lagann! It's one of the most necessary deaths I can think of in a television show, animated or otherwise. Simon's character arc would literally not be possible if he could still hide in his big bro's shadow.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 26, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's some official 4Komas related to the series done in the P&SwG style
https://mangadex.com/manga/23201

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Xelkelvos posted:

These are excellent, thank you.
I want some franxx figures already.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xelkelvos posted:

These own, thanks for sharing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want these animated.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Even if the anime fails to deliver, like Re:Creators the 4koma are extremely good.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

sincx posted:

Just watched the first two episodes after hearing a lot about it.

:catstare: What the hell.

Unrelated to emptyquote: Gettin' some Haruko vibes here.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Ranzear posted:

I totally see it in ep3

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
DARLING in the FRANXX Ep3: Say no to NTR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ranzear posted:

This show seems to basically be FLCL + Gurren Lagann, with less :holds_up_spork: randomness.

• Locked thread