Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I think it's less actual dimensions and more that the styling has emphasized the size and decreased protrusions. Bumper have retracted, noses and sides have turned into brick walls, etc. Today's 150s have the specs and capabilities of yesterday's 250s, as well. Today's midsizes have the performance of yesterday's 150s. It's no surprise they are selling like them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been feeling like poo poo for a few days. Finally went to an urgent care clinic (and I was that rear end in a top hat that showed up just before close :sigh:).

Negative on the flu swab, positive on bronchitis, but they've seen so many flu cases (and my symptoms are so similar) that they prescribed Tamiflu as a preventive measure (doing half doses for 10 days instead of full doses for 5 days). Along with steroids and promethazine+dxm cough syrup. We're coming close to 100 flu-related deaths in DFW this season, and apparently this year's flu shot didn't do poo poo.

That cough syrup packs a punch. I see why he told me not to even think about driving when using it. I've taken promethazine before for nausea, but forgot how drowsy it makes me.

Hopefully with the steroids I'll be able to actually work this weekend.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did both plus a lot of water and coffee.

https://i.imgur.com/OJZdn4K.mp4

JFC I do not need to see this poo poo right now. One chortle turned into a 5 minute coughing fit, you jerk. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, promethazine actually affects people like that? I can take a triple shot with codine and feel next to nothing. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tamiflu is bullshit and literally kills more people per year than it saves (through complications from constipation and/or diarrhea, depending on the person, usually in elderly people) and I've literally seen old people die from it after transporting them to the hospital for acute constipation after entire nursing homes were given tamiflu per protocol because a preset percentage of the rest of the population were diagnosed with influenza.

However, for regular adults, it is merely a timewaster with minimal affect on mortality. It may reduce the days affected by the virus by up to one.

No I'm not bitter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NitroSpazzz posted:

The new house came with tiny toilets, I bought new ones on the way to the closing so they could be replaced immediately.

Watch out though. If the house is from the era before low flows, you might have toilets that can flush nearly anything. My parents house as 2/3 early 80s era toilets, and I'm not sure dave could clog them. The 3rd is a late 90s low flow and is the loving worst.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait, promethazine actually affects people like that? I can take a triple shot with codine and feel next to nothing. :v:

Promethazine is a first generation antihistamine, similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in that regard. They both act on the same H1 receptors, anyway.

It generally knocks me out pretty quickly for a lonnnnng time. I've been prescribed it for sleep before, and it works almost too well. I think the only reason I'm still awake is each dose in the cough syrup is only 6.25mg per dose, while the rx pills were 25mg.

They didn't give me the codeine version, but frankly I'm okay with that - I like opiates too much. I need to be able to work tomorrow (and I won't be taking this stuff while driving).

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tamiflu is bullshit and literally kills more people per year than it saves (through complications from constipation and/or diarrhea, depending on the person, usually in elderly people) and I've literally seen old people die from it after transporting them to the hospital for acute constipation after entire nursing homes were given tamiflu per protocol because a preset percentage of the rest of the population were diagnosed with influenza.

However, for regular adults, it is merely a timewaster with minimal affect on mortality. It may reduce the days affected by the virus by up to one.

:stare: well that's good to know. At least my copay was only $1....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Remember how I said I'd never switch to Frontier?

This whole "trying to get stable internet for several months" with Spectrum bit is old. Frontier is supposed to be here next Monday. Between Spectrum jacking the rates up and having the world's laziest techs that refuse to replace the goddamned cable that they admit is bad (tethering to my phone for the 5th time today), I'm done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Aussie Flu or whatever it's been called absoluty can kick the poo poo out of you. I had it in November last year and fuuuuucking hell it's a bad one. And yeah the flu shot did nothing against it.

No I'm not bitter.

Oh come on, no way this is bullshit......

*Goes do research*

Hooooly poo poo what the gently caress? It's true??????

Apologies for doubting you for one second. Christ almighty

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072642/

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Remember how I said I'd never switch to Frontier?

This whole "trying to get stable internet for several months" with Spectrum bit is old. Frontier is supposed to be here next Monday. Between Spectrum jacking the rates up and having the world's laziest techs that refuse to replace the goddamned cable that they admit is bad (tethering to my phone for the 5th time today), I'm done.

I'm spoiled so much by Fios, 50/50 for $60/mo and in over a year it has never dropped. At least not when I was using it. Time Warner/Spectrum at my parents' and friends' houses sees a drop at least a few times per week, and they pay the same amount for less speed. Parents have bad cable too, even the TWC techs admitted it but just gave us a "signal booster" and shrugged. My only complaint is the garbage range on the all-in-one router but it's a small place so no big deal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Truck talk: Previously the largest truck I'd owned was a Nissan Hardbody or Ford Ranger which are close enough to the same size, that was in college. Following that it was always smaller trucks like VW Caddy, a few Datsun and the Ford Courier. Now we've picked up the father-in-law's 82 F100 and it feels HUGE. Just the amount of space between us on the bench seat is comical. But park it next to anything modern and it's small, poo poo it's close in size to the wife's 06 Tacoma.

Tamiflu is bullshit and literally kills more people per year than it saves....
Welp time to never take that poo poo again

So far we've been lucky and haven't picked up the flu. It's more likely she'll get it at work and bring it home, if that happens I'm headed to hospital because the one last year knocked me out for a month.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Like 1/4 of my company is out sick, and pretty much everybody got the flu shot this year.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I got the flu shot, and am the only person in the house and at work who hasn't gotten sick. Normally I still get it, but the vaccine actually worked for me this year.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Bird flu had me pretty much bedridden for 3 weeks straight, this aussie flu can have a pre-emptive gently caress off right the gently caress now

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a stomach virus locally that keeps going around. It's about a 48 hour event. I've had it 3 times since Thanksgiving :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Had to talk with our renters (who want to buy the place) this morning and I want to claw my eyes out. I don't understand how people can be so dumb.

They're bitching about the price of the house, when they haven't even gotten pre-approval from a bank. Like, you dumb fuckers, you have no ground to stand on from which to negotiate. I don't need to justify anything to you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

"that's the market value, if you won't pay it someone else will"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Stomach bugs are only 1/4 effective against me now after my gastric sleeve on Tuesday so come at me.

P.s. don’t come at me I am still recovering from the procedure.

In typical AI fashion I am annoyed at being told to not drive until I can be off the oxy for 24 hours. So the choice is tough it out sooner so I can go out and do stuff in winter or keep taking it a few more days and sleep better. Sleeping better it is :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Crown has never had it's timing belt done, and it's developed a squeal under the hood in the short time I've had it. Being a 1990 I just assume everything there should be replaced, luckily the 1jz only has two belt tensioners. Timing belt, serpentine belt, timing belt tensioner, serpentine tensioner, water pump.

The problem is that the serpentine belt tensioner is $$$$ vs all the other parts, including the water pump. I have found a few sites selling just a bearing to whack into the pulley itself, thanks Supra aftermarket.

I've also never done a job like this before but it's as good a time as any to rip into it. Not like it's my only car :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry for the garbage quality, but in preparation for the move that has to happen before March 1st, I took some scrap wood and an old warped table and threw together this:

It's a stand for my portable washer/dryer. Dryer goes up top, washer below. there are holes in the back for hoses and stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is there a thick back plate on that or some cross bracing? I feel like dryer vibes would knock that over very quickly otherwise.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It has a pegboard backplate with some 1x2 bracing, it's also very heavy. The inside corners are L-bracketed 1x2-ish style. Most of the wood used to be one of these 90's-as-gently caress coffee tables, and I used the legs as brackets

(except the one I had was very water damaged and warped and split on the top -- everybody had one of these or knew someone who had one of these as a kid, right? The stupid blonde wood rounded-edge cheapass coffee tables)

I did do a "test load" with the dryer before painting to make sure it wouldn't be insane and it's good. That's a tiny dryer in the photo and it doesn't hold a lot of clothes. I'm not proud of how it looks or anything, just filling the days with the lowest-cost activities I can until I have to move (and until my goddamned W-2s come in :argh:)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 28, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, I remember that table, or at least one very similar to it, all over the place back then.

I get to deal with the worst aspect of residential cable support - fixing an intermittent problem that is definitely on Cox's side and not mine. I get T3 timeouts, but only typically late in the evening. Their distribution box for my street is literally in my yard, and I have a short (and nearly new) stub off of that to my house, along with a new line from there to the cable modem with no splitters. Signal levels look fine, as they did to the tech who was here at 8AM and the tech who he had follow up at 5PM, but sure enough at 8PM... timeouts again. Even replaced the modem to rule that out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In college I lived in a large house with 7 roommates and there were like 5 of those tables in the house.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

redgubbinz posted:

I'm spoiled so much by Fios, 50/50 for $60/mo and in over a year it has never dropped. At least not when I was using it. Time Warner/Spectrum at my parents' and friends' houses sees a drop at least a few times per week, and they pay the same amount for less speed. Parents have bad cable too, even the TWC techs admitted it but just gave us a "signal booster" and shrugged. My only complaint is the garbage range on the all-in-one router but it's a small place so no big deal.

Oh I had Fios before and LOVED it. Then Frontier came along.

I worked for Frontier and got a good look at how that company is run. It's a goddamned dumpster fire. And at the moment, they haven't managed to redeem themselves yet. I've sent them the notarized paperwork they requested, called the # they told me to call after 24 hours, and apparently it's a law firm that deals with their collections, so I have no idea why I was told to call them (they mentioned they get a lot of calls from future Frontier customers about the same thing though). So on Monday I get to call Frontier and ask what's going on. Hopefully they pull their heads out of their collective asses.

I tried to get them when I first moved here. Scheduled the install 6 weeks in advance. Was told my credit was fine, no deposit needed, install was setup for the day after I moved in. Install date came and went with no tech. Called them... "your install was cancelled because you never paid the deposit". I ask what deposit, I was told I didn't need one, and nobody ever reached out to me. Paid the deposit over the phone, they tell me it'll be 2 months before they can hook it up, and that I'll have to do the ID verification bullshit that I'm stuck in now. :wtc: Tell them refund it and I'll just go to TWC, ... it took 2 months and getting my bank involved to get the money back. :sigh: TWC was out here 2 days later.

I don't have a lot of faith in them as a company. I just want internet that doesn't go out every time someone sneezes, and the $30/mo promo they're running right now is pretty nice. I plan to ask the tech to enable the gigabit port on the ONT if he can (VZ would do this upon request), so I can just plug in my own router; if he won't, I'll just set up whatever router they give me in bridge mode.

TWC was fine up until a few months ago. Something got ahold of the line in the attic and hosed it. Property management has given the go-ahead to have TWC/Spectrum run a new cable along the outside of the building, but the techs that come out keep saying "no, you just need another signal booster/amp/whatever", or "your modem is too old to support such high speeds" (it's a 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem, my plan is 100/10, and 2 techs have said it's an excellent modem that never gives any trouble), except for a couple who admit I need a new cable run, but they don't have the time to do it that day. Every time I call in, everyone I talk to agrees the signal is completely hosed and immediately schedules a tech.

</rant>

Unfortunately those are my 2 options unless I go WISP, and I use way too much bandwidth for that to be a real option. If I could get a tech that wasn't too loving lazy to do their job, I'd stick with Spectrum. Frontier can't even keep voice service running reliably (how does a PHONE COMPANY have more issues with voice service than internet?).

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Sorry for the garbage quality, but in preparation for the move that has to happen before March 1st, I took some scrap wood and an old warped table and threw together this:

It's a stand for my portable washer/dryer. Dryer goes up top, washer below. there are holes in the back for hoses and stuff.

Whatup Panda/Haier/they'reallmadeinthesameregioninchina buddy, those things do a drat good job for being cheap AF and able to live a tiny apt life.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Bought one of those little cheap electric pressure washers for washing the cars and i'm pretty impressed. Quiet and does a good job with normal dirt. If i need to really blast something i'll borrow my dad's gas powered one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr-Spain posted:

Bought one of those little cheap electric pressure washers for washing the cars and i'm pretty impressed. Quiet and does a good job with normal dirt. If i need to really blast something i'll borrow my dad's gas powered one.

Ya, mine is useless for any actual pressure-washing needs, but it’s great at foam cannons and clearing leaves off my patio.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Jesus, what a week:
  • Company announced they're going to lay off one third of the workforce. No idea if that's me. I give it about even odds. Good thing we didn't just buy a house. Oh, wait...
  • Brother's Father-in-Law got hit by/walked out in front of a cyclist, bumped his head, and is now in induced coma in the ICU.
  • Buyer of our condo already put it up for rent, even if it's not technically his for another month, so now we get unsolicited people at the door and long handwritten letters in our mailbox asking to come in and see the apartment. Not my loving problem! :argh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bolind posted:

Jesus, what a week:

drat dude, good luck with everything. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

drat dude, good luck with everything. :(

Yeah, this. That's a terrible string of events.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bolind posted:

Jesus, what a week:
  • Company announced they're going to lay off one third of the workforce. No idea if that's me. I give it about even odds. Good thing we didn't just buy a house. Oh, wait...
  • Brother's Father-in-Law got hit by/walked out in front of a cyclist, bumped his head, and is now in induced coma in the ICU.
  • Buyer of our condo already put it up for rent, even if it's not technically his for another month, so now we get unsolicited people at the door and long handwritten letters in our mailbox asking to come in and see the apartment. Not my loving problem! :argh:

Sounds like 2018 is trying to gently caress you the way 2017 hosed me. Good luck man.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What's the current smart choice when it comes to track tires?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Prong Song posted:

Are you trying to win or just do track days?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If price is more important than lap times, and you still want a street tire, probably those nexens, the sur4 or whatever it's called, Federal rsr or rsrr, achilles 123s.

Bridgestone re71r is the fastest street tire but the new Hankook RS4 is probably close.

Then you get in to r-comps and slicks from there. They are a lot more expensive, but tend to stand up to the heat of track use better. It's easy to get a street tire to start throwing off chunks of tread especially if you're hard on them when they're new. That's why if you're trying to set a track record you shave most of the tread off brand new tires.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Prong Song posted:

Ones someone else pays for.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Wrar posted:

Are you trying to win or just do track days?

Trackdays. I'm looking at a dedicated set of wheels, tires, and brakes for this season (and ongoing) - so basically, r-comps or slicks.

jamal posted:

...Then you get in to r-comps and slicks from there. They are a lot more expensive, but tend to stand up to the heat of track use better. It's easy to get a street tire to start throwing off chunks of tread especially if you're hard on them when they're new. That's why if you're trying to set a track record you shave most of the tread off brand new tires.

Yeah sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I'm not looking to throw money away, but I'm also not looking for street tires, "ultra high maximum plus plus performance summer-only" or otherwise. I'll be swapping out at the track.

InitialDave posted:

Ones someone else pays for.
If only...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

bolind posted:

Jesus, what a week:
Ouch. Hope it doesn't include you and maybe start updating your resume just in case.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Prong Song posted:

Trackdays. I'm looking at a dedicated set of wheels, tires, and brakes for this season (and ongoing) - so basically, r-comps or slicks.

Yeah sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I'm not looking to throw money away, but I'm also not looking for street tires, "ultra high maximum plus plus performance summer-only" or otherwise. I'll be swapping out at the track.

If only...

Hankook RS4 is the answer. They're not the fastest tire in the class but they last and they hold up better on an actual track than some of the fast AutoX tires that get greasy.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Ouch. Hope it doesn't include you and maybe start updating your resume just in case.

Yeah I'm going to get my ducks in a row just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

The Prong Song posted:

If you're not trying to win anything (which, it's hard to "win" a track day) I'd be looking at Maxxis RC-1, Toyo RA1 or Nitto NT01 - they're going to be the longest life R-compounds and apparently don't lose grip until the cords. If you are trying to win something, Hoosier R7s, but they slow down after around 10 heat cycles or so and are pretty done after 20.

Or if you're driving something with a common size, there's some places that sell takeoff race tires - Spec Miata tires are not a bad option for running around if they fit.

Don't run slicks if the car is ever used on the street, it won't be set up to take advantage of them. Try the Hankook RS4 if you want, it might or might not be a lower cost tire budget than the hard DOT-Rs I mentioned.

• Locked thread