Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jurgan posted:

I don’t think there is such a thing as unintentional satire. If you’re trying to support an idea and fail so badly you undermine the point you’re trying to make, that makes you a comic fool, not a satirist. “Look how well Hitler satirized fascism by losing WWII!”
Depends whether you think genre is determined by the writer or by the reader. If it's the writer then there's no such thing as unintentional comedy, just drama done badly. If it's the reader then something can be read as satire even if it was intended otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Extremely geeky nitpick I will never get an excuse to bring up again: When they did Armor, they acted like the power armored suits were a weird addition to a war clearly based off of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, but they were misremembering because there was also power armor in Starship Troopers, if not in the movie.

There, now I may rest easy before someone shoves me in a locker

Didn’t the guy who wrote Armor literally say it was inspired by him reading Starship Troopers and wishing there was more combat?

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
The death of the author angle doesn't work as well when he's saying someone else is interpreting the book wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn’t the guy who wrote Armor literally say it was inspired by him reading Starship Troopers and wishing there was more combat?

I don't know, all I remember is they were saying it was Starship Troopers mixed with Gundam and I was like, no, bruh, the power armor was part of the original, it's a sin of the father

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The movie should have had them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Collision would be so much better as a semi-regular guest. He’s fine and even fun in smaller doses but he has gotten tiresome over the last year or so. I loved in early episodes when it was still just JW and rotating guests because he’s a solid anchor and guests provide more variety. He and Collision are a little too similar for long-term co-hosts.

It's nice when there's a guest host to play off the two of them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3QEjMq6e68&hd=1

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

In the author's note for Slugs, the dude who wrote Slugs actually says that this is a horrible movie and no one should watch it

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

In the author's note for Slugs, the dude who wrote Slugs actually says that this is a horrible movie and no one should watch it

I know a malecologist (expert on mollusks) who had the poster of this movie hanging in his office.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I saw it at a record store earlier today but didn't buy it. It was $30!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Honestly the thing that annoys me the most about Collision is when he's reading and he suddenly starts murmuring like he's trying to ASMR everyone. Even leaving aside that I'm allergic to ASMR, it's annoying as gently caress to listen to in the car, especially when it's suddenly followed by a jingle at 874000 decibels higher.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The movie should have had them.

The military equipping its troops with lovely, useless armor and guns that barely hurt bugs is actually hilarious and adds to the film’s message, just like Robocop driving a lovely car.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Collision even if he can be a doof sometimes.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I like Collision just fine, I just don't think he's a great long-term cohost for this podcast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Starship Troopers gets better and funnier every time I see it. I know it has nothing to do with the book- which I GASP actually liked- but it's just such fun garbage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Okay

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah exactly, people who missed the boat on both the satire and the movie quality are double-dumb

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Guy Mann posted:

sir, this is a wendy's

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Shhhhhhhh :ohdear:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing is, Last Action Hero, The Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers all own to varying degrees.

Also, they did a Patreon episode about the movie Starship Troopers
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958564888787394560
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958565525059141634
I would NOT like to know more :smug:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The thing is, Last Action Hero, The Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers all own to varying degrees.

Also, they did a Patreon episode about the movie Starship Troopers
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958564888787394560
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958565525059141634
I would NOT like to know more :smug:

No J! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Eh it's not as if I come to these guys for movie takes anyway, just ridiculing books everyone already knows are bad.
Similarly this may hurt but please never rap again lol

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I heard that a long time ago and never realized it was J until now.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Hahaha holy gently caress I never knew that was J

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
There was a snippet of it in an early episode and somehow I didn't realize it was him at the time. A few weeks ago I felt like looking up the song and recognized it then.
Personally I love it when he sings or raps.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUQNxp02mE

J is bae.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
His finest work

https://youtu.be/6CXiB5n883I

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

What the fuuuck, that's him?? I left Night Vale by the wayside a long time ago but I love this song and that episode.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

What the fuuuck, that's him?? I left Night Vale by the wayside a long time ago but I love this song and that episode.

Yeah, in one of the IDEOTV eps with Mara Wilson they discuss their experiences on WTNV and J mentions “writing a song about a bus.” I had the same reaction as you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IDEOTV S-rank guest star Rachel Millman has a new podcast all about wrestling, so maybe check it out if you like either of these things.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, in one of the IDEOTV eps with Mara Wilson they discuss their experiences on WTNV and J mentions “writing a song about a bus.” I had the same reaction as you.

I've listened to every IDEOTV episode and didn't even catch that. Amazing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My husband hates IDEOTV and loved that dong. Telling him it was J was hilarious!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My husband hates IDEOTV and loved that dong.
:mrgw:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hahaha I'm not changing it!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Joseph Fink was also a goon, they met through SA, I’m pretty certain.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
He has some good stories of being in Night Vale live shows and people swarming him after to get him to sign their bus cards.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Joseph Fink was also a goon,

Still is.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

they met through SA, I’m pretty certain.

Could be, but most of the early Night Vale people just happened to work in the same geographical location (NYC) and a couple of them being on Something Awful was just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Hard to believe the podcast's been going for a hundred episodes, but here it is: the I Don't Even Own a Television centennial, wherein J and Collision tackle The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.