Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

My proest of tips for radiance will always be to put on shaman stone and as many lifeblood charms as you can, and to use abyssal shriek a lot.

:hfive:

I'm kinda glad I completely ignored this game until now (I was an idiot) because I got to do this completely blind. What a game and what a first run! I was a bit worried that the level art style would make it a pain to find hidden walls/secrets, but as evidenced by the percentage I had a blast finding everything and I think the game did a solid job nudging you to find everything. What an absolutely incredibly amazing game.

I can't wait to buy it again on the Switch, I'm already itching to do another playthrough :pram:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Honestly I think the Radiance is perfect as is. Everything a final boss should be, between the presentation, the mechanics and the difficulty.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I tend to agree. Yeah, the speedbump in-between attempts was a tad uninteresting, but it was also kind of fun to just wipe the floor with him over and over and over again.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Dancer posted:

This game is really good at being difficult in a variety of different ways, with every player having their obstacles they're weak against. I never got the hate for Primal Aspids. The were annoying at first, but got a lot more manageable once I learned to be patient. Bait out the first shot, take a little jump, probably dash in some direction (depends on exact position) and whack those mofo's. Ideally, while you're being patient, use the time to charge up a super-slash that should one-shot them.

I thiiiink I saw someone cheese that wave by wall-jumping as high as they could into a corner and just waiting there? I might be confusing it with another wave tho. It definitely is random as heck, and a pain and I've lost several runs to it.

I absolutely cheesed the final boss in the Trial of the Fool by doing the wall-jump, and I'm only slightly ashamed of doing so.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly I think the Radiance is perfect as is. Everything a final boss should be, between the presentation, the mechanics and the difficulty.

It was definitely amazing, but I guess I lean more towards "final bosses should be beatable by anyone". I know, I know, I got myself into the mess with Radiance in the first place but it's not like a read a guide and knew what I was doing. Really difficult boss fights are cool and good (as long as they're fair), but I like the JRPG model of making those bosses optional :shobon:

That said, I just found a really big issue with Hollow Knight... why did it have to end? It's only been a day and I'm already in withdrawals. :negative: This is always the worst part of playing a game as good as this. At least I have the Hornet DLC to look forward to at some unannounced point in the future I think?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Your Computer posted:

It was definitely amazing, but I guess I lean more towards "final bosses should be beatable by anyone". I know, I know, I got myself into the mess with Radiance in the first place but it's not like a read a guide and knew what I was doing. Really difficult boss fights are cool and good (as long as they're fair), but I like the JRPG model of making those bosses optional :shobon:

That said, I just found a really big issue with Hollow Knight... why did it have to end? It's only been a day and I'm already in withdrawals. :negative: This is always the worst part of playing a game as good as this. At least I have the Hornet DLC to look forward to at some unannounced point in the future I think?

I'm so glad I live in the age of YouTube where I can just search for someone much better than me so I can see the end of this game I love so much. I'm going to give it another go when it's out on Switch, but in my file on PC I never beat the Hollow Knight and had a few of the dream bosses still to go, and haven't touched the Path of Pain (I loved the White Palace and am saving PoP for my Switch run). I'm continually surprised I got as far as I did, because these days I am such a lazy gamer more interested in poking around and seeing cool story than actually throwing my face at a wall over and over. That said I do intend to give Dark Souls an honest try when it releases on Switch in a couple months.

And I totally feel you on it being over. I've been watching lore videos occasionally, since there's just so much stuffed into this game. It helps to see how awesome Team Cherry is and what quality content they create, and while I hope they put out as much into Hollow Knight as humanly possible, I'm also excited to see what else they make in the future, even if it isn't a game about little bugs. I guess.

Plus, sometime next month, I'm probably going to get my av over there as a tattoo. The "gently caress LET'S DO THIS" of a little abyssal genderless bug in the face of the Radiance and the Mantis Lords (the latter is my favorite fight), hell yes.

e: I also think everyone should be able to see the end of a game, fwiw. God mode for all games, because it's a travesty if people can't see all the hard work and story put into them.

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 23, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'll be honest when I started the game I thought it was a little too precious/cute with Cornifer's humming, Hornet's sound effects, the imprisoned grubs, the cuteness of fungal wastes, and Ba Fanada. This changed quite a bit at the Mantis Lords fight and changed very dramatically at the city of tears (and obviously when things got infected). They front-load the cute stuff real hard. I wonder if that's what the very small minority of people who have trouble getting into the game struggle with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

I'll be honest when I started the game I thought it was a little too precious/cute with Cornifer's humming, Hornet's sound effects, the imprisoned grubs, the cuteness of fungal wastes, and Ba Fanada. This changed quite a bit at the Mantis Lords fight and changed very dramatically at the city of tears (and obviously when things got infected). They front-load the cute stuff real hard. I wonder if that's what the very small minority of people who have trouble getting into the game struggle with.
I was kinda the opposite, I thought it would be a very artsy-fartsy game but the cuteness won me over. And then of course they went and ripped my heart out. Myla why :(

Speaking of the voice acting, I did find it pretty rude that before every single attempt at The Radiance I had to listen to Hornet telling me to git gud.

morcant posted:

Mantis Lords (the latter is my favorite fight)
Oh yeah, I wasn't so into the first boss fight against the False Knight but god drat did I enjoy the Mantis Lords fight. It's not that complex in hindsight, but it just felt so great to learn that fight. Had the same thing again with the Soul Master, it took me an embarrassing number of attempts but when I finally got it I got it and did the fight flawlessly. :swoon:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Your Computer posted:

I was kinda the opposite, I thought it would be a very artsy-fartsy game but the cuteness won me over. And then of course they went and ripped my heart out. Myla why :(

Oh my god Myla. I talked to her and came back way later on my first run, but after learning there was more in between, the next file I start I'm gonna go visit her between pretty much every story development to say hi. :(

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of the voice acting, I did find it pretty rude that before every single attempt at The Radiance I had to listen to Hornet telling me to git gud.

I've never personally got that far ofc but every time I watch it on YouTube I hear "GIT GUD" and laugh my rear end off. I found this in the Hollow Knight Discord I lurk in - mostly for news of Switch port/new content:

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't so into the first boss fight against the False Knight but god drat did I enjoy the Mantis Lords fight. It's not that complex in hindsight, but it just felt so great to learn that fight. Had the same thing again with the Soul Master, it took me an embarrassing number of attempts but when I finally got it I got it and did the fight flawlessly. :swoon:

For me it's not even the difficulty of the fight - my first time, I went "uhhh" at the giant pit that opened up and totally skipped that fight until I'd already powered up my nail twice, gotten the Monarch Wings, and had fallen into Deepnest at least two other ways (:gonk:) - but the music and the actively challenging them, paired with the revelation that these were female bugs you were fighting all cemented it in my mind and I loving loved it. I showed a video to my partner, who went "Oh!!" in pleasant surprise when the first Lord cried out in a feminine voice after being defeated, before the other two jumped in. :3:

...I mention gender representation a lot because it's very important to me as an agender transperson. To have learned that Team Cherry presented the Knight as "he" in the Kickstarter but to go back in development to make the Knight and all their siblings lacking in gender - and to instead differentiate Hornet by her having a gender ("the Gendered Child") is perhaps intentional but really speaks to me. gently caress yeah this little reject bug taking on warrior lords and god herself. :black101:

e: I don't know what to spoiler so I took my best guess??

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome to hear :3: I really liked those details too, although for whatever reason (well, I'm not a native english speaker) I never drew that connection with Hornet. That's really neat!

While we're tangentially on the topic, are there any especially good/worth watching lore videos? I feel like I've already got a pretty good idea of it from the thorough playthrough and some wiki diving, but it might be fun to look at it in a more coherent form.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

That's awesome to hear :3: I really liked those details too, although for whatever reason (well, I'm not a native english speaker) I never drew that connection with Hornet. That's really neat!

While we're tangentially on the topic, are there any especially good/worth watching lore videos? I feel like I've already got a pretty good idea of it from the thorough playthrough and some wiki diving, but it might be fun to look at it in a more coherent form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_77BtGR6kk&t=28s is pretty good.

And yeah, for a game about bugs this game has a surprising amount of representation. The characters (both named and nameless) seem evenly divided in gender and there's even two gay couples: The painter Nailsmaster/Nailsmith if you spare him, Grey Mourner/Traitor's Child

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

One thing I noticed in City of Tears is that the basic flying bugs are female-voiced while the walking ones are male-voiced; which is cool not only for representation reasons but because that's the kind of dimorphism you often see in bugs of that kind. It's really neat.

On another note, I missed the path to the Mantis Lords entirely until I was like the halfway through the game

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I personally never heard Hornet say "git gud" until I looked up Hollow Knight discussions. Sounded more like "get thum" (aka "get them") to me.

Also when I learned that if you spared the Nailsmith he'd be a cute gay couple with the artist Nailmaster I was so sad because I had killed him earlier. :smith:

morcant posted:

Oh my god Myla. I talked to her and came back way later on my first run, but after learning there was more in between, the next file I start I'm gonna go visit her between pretty much every story development to say hi. :(

Did you hit her with the dream nail? I couldn't bring myself to off her in the end. And we can't check if killing the Radiance returned her to normal.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I watched the other videos too, and I guess I didn't find everything in the game because the "Vitruvian Grub" was news to me :v: Pretty funny videos. While I'm searching for things to fill the Hollow Knight-shaped hole in my heart, anyone got any streams or let's plays to recommend? I just finished watching LobosJR's playthrough, but I'm sad it didn't include the Path of Pain :pram:

skaianDestiny posted:

Did you hit her with the dream nail? I couldn't bring myself to off her in the end. And we can't check if killing the Radiance returned her to normal.
I want to believe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! I watched the other videos too, and I guess I didn't find everything in the game because the "Vitruvian Grub" was news to me :v: Pretty funny videos. While I'm searching for things to fill the Hollow Knight-shaped hole in my heart, anyone got any streams or let's plays to recommend? I just finished watching LobosJR's playthrough, but I'm sad it didn't include the Path of Pain :pram:

Not a stream/LP, but I found that Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight somewhat filled the Hollow Knight void for several hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKIRDW3djw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Your Computer posted:

I really enjoyed Joseph Anderson's Hollow Knight critique (it's also his GotY 2017 so he's obviously a big fan).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks like I beat the game with a 64% completion rate and what had to be a bad ending if not the only bad ending. Due to a few glances at spoiler texts I wasn't sure if it was the last boss or not when I got into the room and threw myself at the fight until it ended. Now I need to figure out where to get more essence and the other half of the grubs among other things.

That said, I finally found out how to get into the Queen's Gardens when I reloaded after that boss... and while my list of grievances with the game is short: gently caress spikes and the lame horse they rode in on.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

Also when I learned that if you spared the Nailsmith he'd be a cute gay couple with the artist Nailmaster I was so sad because I had killed him earlier. :smith:

Now I feel awful... :smith: But I won't make that mistake again!

skaianDestiny posted:

No, that's another thing I need to do in my next playthrough - I entirely forgot the Dream Nail existed, and so barely used it on anyone.

Dammit, I'm so excited to play this again. I hope the Switch version drops soon.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The bosses I'm finding now that I'm side-stepping the easy ending were wrecking me and making life miserable. Then I found quick slash and set it aside and complained more with the usual hand outstretched at my screen going "What the gently caress is this poo poo?!" Then I equipped quick slash and the game became a weird Strider fangame where I run around as a wall jumping bug with a flickering blade in front of me melting all that oppose my whimsy.

Now if only I could find the last two components so I could max the nail. I've only checked wikis for boss health and sword damage so far.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Well I don't know which one's you've already gotten, but it can be quite a trial to get your grubby little hands on the last two if you don't know where they are.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I might have both of those.

Right now it's down to A) wander around for hours and hours and hours or B) just check the drat wiki to see what I'm missing and where it roughly is. I'm leaning toward B because I'm finding the game way too big to continue doing A.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are the three dreamers part of the critical path?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Incessant Excess posted:

Are the three dreamers part of the critical path?

Yes. You have to kill all three of them to access the final bosses.

Also, anyone who enjoyed the White Palace in this game would probably enjoy the gently caress out of Celeste.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Anyone who enjoyed the white palace would probably enjoy pushing needles under their fingernails.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

Anyone who enjoyed the white palace would probably enjoy pushing needles under their fingernails.

The White Palace wasn't that good, it felt like an amateur Super Meat Boy fangame (but at least that meant you could bypass a lot of it with clever jumps).

Path of Pain on the other hand, god drat that was fun. :getin:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

White Palace is good. Path of Pain is better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Just wait until you find the Black Palace! The Negative World of Hollow Knight.

Then there’s Spiderweb Alley, the girly superhard area for Hornet...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 27, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

please don't spoil the hornet DLC

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Neat
https://twitter.com/inari_09/status/956933862990364672
https://twitter.com/oc_nerf/status/956868097868054528

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

1stGear posted:

Yes. You have to kill all three of them to access the final bosses.

Thanks. Managed to take down the Watcher Knights so far, pretty tough fight for me, hopefully the other two won't be as difficult.

Also, is the tram pass really out of the way? I'm 15 or so hours into the game and still haven't found the thing, same with a use for the rancid eggs I'm collecting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks. Managed to take down the Watcher Knights so far, pretty tough fight for me, hopefully the other two won't be as difficult.

Also, is the tram pass really out of the way? I'm 15 or so hours into the game and still haven't found the thing, same with a use for the rancid eggs I'm collecting.

The tram pass can be a bit hard to get to, but you are likely to at least get into the vicinity of it on your way to another Dreamer.

To use the rancid eggs, open the locked door at the far right end of Dirtmouth, past the graveyard.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

skasion posted:

To use the rancid eggs, open the locked door at the far right end of Dirtmouth, past the graveyard.

Ah okay, I've actually got that door opened but I assumed you used Geo in there.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I thought I understood frustration in this game. Then I found the stupid goddamn loving delicate flower.

This quest is offensively awful.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Clear out the path first, and then don't sit on any benches. Most enemies won't respawn that way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Andrigaar posted:

I thought I understood frustration in this game. Then I found the stupid goddamn loving delicate flower.

This quest is offensively awful.

If you hate it so much then just... don't do it?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

SirSamVimes posted:

If you hate it so much then just... don't do it?

As I've given up on more aimless wandering, I found it via looking up rewards on the wiki. Wanting the reward, I'm going to give it a few more tries. Good advice by the way :jerkbag:

fractalairduct posted:

Clear out the path first, and then don't sit on any benches. Most enemies won't respawn that way.

Gonna try this.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The easiest route I found was to take the elevator down to the city and go all the way through there, then going up and through fungal wastes, fog canyon and entering queen’s gardens that way. That route has pretty easy enemies throughout, except maybe for the big jellies in fog canyon.

Also practice the very last jumping challenge until you can do it reliably. It sucks to fail there.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

It was one of the last things I did in the game - after I had Isma's Tear - and I went Resting Grounds > Crossroads > Fungal Wastes > Fog Canyon > Greenpath.

The big jellies aren't too bad if you're patient. Just focus on dodging and don't attack them.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Really, the only truly nasty part of that challenge is the very last room in Queen's Garden. Everything else can be dealt with using a safe route, and liberally blasting everything remotely troublesome with magic from a distance. I went through City of Tears, so I used magic mostly against the guards there, and against the lone mantis encountered in Queen's Garden.

This game is just not meant for no-hit runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just got the level 4 nail and how the hell do you forge a drill-shaped sword

Also I'm guessing that there's one more nail upgrade after this?