Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Natural disaster +huge heist is such a great theme that hasn't been hashed out past it's due in the 90s. My favorite is the pure cinematic mediocrity known as 'hard rain'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

This looks so very cheaply made but I'm interested!
That's what she said

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
There's no way you could've known they were Swedish from the trailer

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Fartbox posted:

So it's a SPOILER

Ugh dude

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ammanas posted:

Natural disaster +huge heist is such a great theme that hasn't been hashed out past it's due in the 90s. My favorite is the pure cinematic mediocrity known as 'hard rain'

I like the concept but that trailer was the opposite of interesting

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's what she said

sorry to hear that

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Looks fun but I hate it when media depicts hurricanes visually as tornadoes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

clown shoes posted:

Looks fun but I hate it when media depicts hurricanes visually as tornadoes.

didnt even realize, but :same:

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
'Entertainment Studios' is a great name for a production company making complete schlock

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Accretionist posted:

There's no way you could've known they were Swedish from the trailer

The first ten seconds have the murdered chap want to go hiking in Sweden. It doesn't seem to be that big a leap, when next we see all his companions hiking, that they are in fact, in Sweden.

If that is too much of a spoiler for folks, one has to wonder what they are doing here... in the trailers thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Moreau posted:

The first ten seconds have the murdered chap want to go hiking in Sweden. It doesn't seem to be that big a leap, when next we see all his companions hiking, that they are in fact, in Sweden.

If that is too much of a spoiler for folks, one has to wonder what they are doing here... in the trailers thread.

are you doing the thing where you argue against the one detail people don't really care about because its funny?

the nationality of whoever was never a spoiler; whatever happens in the forest is a spoiler.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

are you doing the thing where you argue against the one detail people don't really care about because its funny?

the nationality of whoever was never a spoiler; whatever happens in the forest is a spoiler.

Were Goons. Who knows what simple fact goes over our heads and needs to be explained.

As to what happens in the forest, I kind of assumed it was pagan Swedish cultists. Maybe a supernatural element, though that seems less likely. Less The Descent and more Southern Comfort. Looks like a good flick, and I'll be glad to watch it.

I'm scratching my head as to the nature of the spoiler. As far as I can see, Fartbox's comment basically just reiterates the premise of the trailer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope it’s a Dracula.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dont talk about what happens in the forest!!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Gonz posted:

I hope it’s a Dracula.

I would love that! Its been so long since there was a decent vampire horror movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Moreau posted:

Were Goons.

"goonsaaaaaaaaaaaay"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krankenstyle posted:

dont talk about what happens in the forest!!

People, possibly all of them, die in the forest, possibly at the hands of something supernatural or just weird. It's all a metaphor for guilt.

Did they delay this movie any? It's been a while since the first trailer, and I assumed it was because the marketing tag line was "They should have gone to Vegas" around the same time as the Vegas shooting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I remember that. The first trailer came out several months ago, and it did have that "Vegas"-catchphrase.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I remember seeing a trailer a while ago, but I assumed it was because it was showing at a festival and hadn't been picked up yet. I'm glad Netflix grabbed it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Spoiler: it was a Swedish festival.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

Spoiler: it was a Swedish festival.

God drat it. What the gently caress, dude.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Moreau posted:

Were Goons. Who knows what simple fact goes over our heads and needs to be explained.

Like, for instance, don't spoil movies? Or apostrophes?

"Buhhh, I figured it was either a super broad option A or super specific option B!" Okay, cool, and both are also invitations to shut the gently caress up. People haven't seen it, they want to see it, and no one is impressed by ":smug: lol ain't it obvious?" posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cvnvcnv posted:

"Buhhh, I figured it was either a super broad option A or super specific option B!" Okay, cool, and both are also invitations to shut the gently caress up. People haven't seen it, they want to see it, and no one is impressed by ":smug: lol ain't it obvious?" posts.

Nothing was said that couldn't have been explained by what was seen in the trailer, though? It's a weird reaction to speculation (?) over trailer content in the trailer thread.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

Nothing was said that couldn't have been explained by what was seen in the trailer, though?

Are you loving stupid? The trailer never gave any indication as to what was hunting them at all. Horror is best when going in blind. How can you and Moreau be so dense.

The one thing CineD should crack down on is spoilers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

viral spiral posted:

Speculation isn't spoilers? I don't know Fartbox or if s/he's a shitposter or something, but for some reason you seem convinced that they're 100% right. Like it could be mutants or witches or aliens for all you know?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

Speculation isn't spoilers? I don't know Fartbox or if s/he's a shitposter or something, but for some reason you seem convinced that they're 100% right. Like it could be mutants or witches or aliens for all you know?

This is a fine example of what trolling looks like, kids. Don't do this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Right. It's a loving trailer. And it's pretty goddamn obvious from the trailer what's going on if you're not brain damaged. Fartbox's speculation was the lowest of low reaching fruit.

viral spiral posted:

:lol:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

viral spiral posted:

This is a surreal conversation/reaction.

To rerail, here is a trailer for a series based on a Dan Simmons book that isn't Hyperion but was still before he went crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN7Aad3c7A

I have no idea how they're making an anthology series out of this, but fuckin' A look at that cast.

They don't show what's hunting them, but I'll spare you the trip to Wiki and tell you that it's Swedish pagan cultists.

Oh and also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdojcKHAFA

I guess fishmen are back in vogue? Dark Universe, now is your time to tap that cultural zeitgeist and release a terrible Creature from the Black Lagoon movie.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GrandpaPants posted:

This is a surreal conversation/reaction.

To rerail, here is a trailer for a series based on a Dan Simmons book that isn't Hyperion but was still before he went crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN7Aad3c7A

I have no idea how they're making an anthology series out of this, but fuckin' A look at that cast.

They don't show what's hunting them, but I'll spare you the trip to Wiki and tell you that it's Swedish pagan cultists.

That's a hell of a cast and a hell of a premise, can't wait.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

viral spiral posted:

Are you loving stupid? The trailer never gave any indication as to what was hunting them at all. Horror is best when going in blind. How can you and Moreau be so dense.

Alternatively: If spoiling a plot point ruins a story, it wasn't a very good story to begin with and you'd be wasting your time watching/reading/listening to it. Stop being a child or don't go into the trailers thread where people continuously post trailers to movies, some of which contain spoilers. Sometimes people even discuss the trailers.

edit: gently caress I forgot to put what the trailers thread is about in spoiler tags

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I was just speculating on it being cultists or pagans or whatever, I don't know the answer. Surely speculation isn't considered "spoilers" nowadays

But there were like, symbols and carvings and statues and poo poo and the movie is called "The Ritual" so it sounds like there are people hunting them and not Shadow Monsters or whatever

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fartbox posted:

I was just speculating on it being cultists or pagans or whatever, I don't know the answer. Surely speculation isn't considered "spoilers" nowadays

But there were like, symbols and carvings and statues and poo poo and the movie is called "The Ritual" so it sounds like there are people hunting them and not Shadow Monsters or whatever

That's all just a red herring, they all actually die from exposure. I'm, the director you can trust me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deakul posted:

Based on these events, at least as fictionalised.

Not exactly sure why you find the cast impressive, though. I don't think I've heard of anyone in it apart from Jared Harris and Ciaran Hinds.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Deakul posted:

Ah man if only it was a movie and not a series :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

Not exactly sure why you find the cast impressive, though. I don't think I've heard of anyone in it apart from Jared Harris and Ciaran Hinds.

Ciaran Hinds, Tobias Menzies, and Jared Harris are three good actors that look like they're in starring roles in the movie? Like three good core actors is often more than what most movies can gather up, let alone a TV series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I mean, I'm pretty spoiler-sensitive and all...but the overreacting weirdos in this thread need to lighten the gently caress up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fartbox posted:

Nothing you posted was a spoiler. Ignore the crazy idiots who are having an aneurysm.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
The Ritual looks like a comedy so I can't tell if any of this is serious or not.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The Ritual looks like a comedy so I can't tell if any of this is serious or not.

Most horror reads as comedy if you change the musical cues only slightly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dundee is going to have everyone from Australia, maybe.

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/957249142648180737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Dundee is going to have everyone from Australia, maybe.

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/957249142648180737

well now it's definitely a tourism promo thing

• Locked thread