Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Artum posted:

4 x (1/2) x (1/2) x (5/6) x 4.47 = ~3.725

hmmm I appear to be extra re re today, dont internet on 4 hours of sleep I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Math is hard. Let's make cookies for the Boyz.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I roll dice and sometimes the enemy falls over.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I roll dice and sometimes the enemy falls over.

This is how I play.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I critically misplay and curse my own incompetence.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Artum posted:

I critically misplay and curse my own incompetence.

This is me. :saddowns:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I simply wish I could get out of the house and play a game.

Guess I will just keep painting, and show up for my first game of 40k in 15 years with 8000 pts of painted Howling Griffons Primaris Marines and 6000 points of Vior'la Tau.

I have a long way to go. I am at 2000 of HG, and like 1500 of Tau.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dexefiend posted:

I simply wish I could get out of the house and play a game.

Guess I will just keep painting, and show up for my first game of 40k in 15 years with 8000 pts of painted Howling Griffons Primaris Marines and 6000 points of Vior'la Tau.

I have a long way to go. I am at 2000 of HG, and like 1500 of Tau.

Turn up to an apocalypse game as an entire side.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Artum posted:

Turn up to an apocalypse game as an entire side.

"How do i move my guys again? What is an advance?" :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So what other goons are out here at LVO?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I wish.

Does anyone have any good picture reference for ex-deathwatch marines? I know they typically keep the pad and silver left arm but I'm less sure about their chapters own markings.

I've accrued an awful lot of the pads so I might as well use some.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I need these baby knights
I need them bad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Depending on their size I might just grab one for painting purposes as I did enjoy painting that Contemptor Dreadnought a while ago and would want to paint another walker or such later.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Hencoe posted:

So what other goons are out here at LVO?

If you play against a drunk German with an Ad Mech army, surprise him by shouting NEIN whenever anybody rolls a 9.

He’ll love it, I swear :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This new knight makes me wonder if it will also be usable for the technically existent Traitor Knights, and if they will ever graduate from technically existent to actually existent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do the little Knights work, do they have to be in a Knight army or can you just add one to, like a Primaris Marine army?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do the little Knights work, do they have to be in a Knight army or can you just add one to, like a Primaris Marine army?

They're their own faction, Questor Minimperialis.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miniknights will get their own full-size codex that you can ally with any Imperials. No chaos allowed.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Miniknights will get their own full-size codex that you can ally with any Imperials. No chaos allowed.

:saddowns:

Wanna hellforge that boy so bad.

Midnight release for custodes at this terrible game store near me had a Friday Night Magic tournament happening as well. Terrible, terrible nerds making tasteless and unfunny jokes, some guys flipping out about a sisters of silence box thinking it was sisters of Battle plastics, kids interjecting their opinions on why X was bad and why Y is so much better because Z and furthermore :vomarine:

What I'm saying is it was a typical day at Pandemonium, and the exact reason why I only go for here for used 40k, because my store has a poo poo used selection. :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:saddowns:

Wanna hellforge that boy so bad.

Midnight release for custodes at this terrible game store near me had a Friday Night Magic tournament happening as well. Terrible, terrible nerds making tasteless and unfunny jokes, some guys flipping out about a sisters of silence box thinking it was sisters of Battle plastics, kids interjecting their opinions on why X was bad and why Y is so much better because Z and furthermore :vomarine:

What I'm saying is it was a typical day at Pandemonium, and the exact reason why I only go for here for used 40k, because my store has a poo poo used selection. :(

Wait, Pandemonium in Cambridge? Or is there another loving awful store called Pandemonium that sounds just like the one near me?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh Custodes is out today? Maybe I will pick it up while I am out. Someone tell me it's at least as many pages as the other books.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, our local FLGS got screwed and shipped 0 codices.

Fun conversation time. I'm about to start an escalation league this week, which is my first real consistent time back to playing since the 90's. This thread has a bunch of generally reasonable people, so I'll put it out there: What do you guys see as the behaviors of a good casual ham opponent?

The common sense stuff stands out to me first:

Be on time.
Bring everything you need. Models, books, cards, dice, tokens, measuring device, writing utensils.
Have your stuff organized so you can set up in a reasonable amount of time.
Have your models completed to the extent that all the parts are on for LOS and you can distinguish them from one another on the table.
Discuss anything non-standard about your army, like proxies or 'counts as' models with your opponent before anything starts.
(Specifically for an organized play list format) Bring a copy of your list for the opponent so you can show your work on points.
Keep a sense of urgency during the game. It's not a race, but don't keep the opponent waiting while you take an hour for your half of a movement phase.
Make your rolls in plain sight. I like the suggestion I saw in here a while back to make it a habit to pick up the failures instead of successes.
Don't get upset over minor mistakes, on either side of the table. Everybody's going to screw something up now and then, nature of the game.
Don't whine. Sometimes you're going to get beat at the list building stage, or your dice are going to hate you. Play it out, take some notes on what's whipping you, and take another shot later.
At the same time, if an opponent is consistently being That Guy, finish out your game and then just don't ever take a game against them again.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 27, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Fun conversation time. I'm about to start an escalation league this week, which is my first real consistent time back to playing since the 90's. This thread has a bunch of generally reasonable people, so I'll put it out there: What do you guys see as the behaviors of a good casual ham opponent?

Be on time.
Bring everything you need. Models, books, cards, dice, tokens, measuring device, writing utensils.
Have your models completed to the extent that all the parts are on for LOS and you can distinguish them from one another on the table.
Discuss anything non-standard about your army, like proxies or 'counts as' models with your opponent before anything starts.
(Specifically for an organized play list format) Bring a copy of your list for the opponent so you can show your work on points.
Keep a sense of urgency during the game. It's not a race, but don't keep the opponent waiting while you take an hour for your half of a movement phase.
Make your rolls in plain sight. I like the suggestion I saw in here a while back to make it a habit to pick up the failures instead of successes.
Don't get upset over minor mistakes, on either side of the table. Everybody's going to screw something up now and then, nature of the game.
Don't whine. Sometimes you're going to get beat at the list building stage, or your dice are going to hate you. Play it out, take some notes on what's whipping you, and take another shot later.
At the same time, if an opponent is consistently being That Guy, finish out your game and then just don't ever take a game against them again.

These aren't just good suggestions. They're mandatory requirements or the person who isn't up to spec can gently caress off.

You'll enjoy your gaming time a lot more once you eliminate the oxygen thieves.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Be on time.

That is pretty good summation of main things that I'd have when playing 40k (sadly I get pissed at my own dice sometimes and whine, but I'll own it and say I am trying not too).

Another important factor is discussing non standard terrain and line of sight before deployment. It clears up potential for argument later and makes the game go faster.

Another one is stance on dropped dice or clocked dice, always a contentious factor if not discussed before hand.

Also, I'd be of the stance that in 40k, people can forget things and make mistakes. If the opponent is been reasonable and not taking the piss, I'd let him mulligan the odd move or charge if he forgot or did it incorrectly.

Now I do stress that within reason, if he rolls a fist of dice for a shooting attack then asks to be allowed to cast a psychic power because he forgot, no chance.

Lastly if you are getting overly annoyed or frustrated or stressed during a game of hams and its not due to your opponents behaviour.. I would take a step back after the game and ask yourself what's going on. Are you bringing stress from somewhere else, is it appropriate to behave like that anywhere, are you getting enough sleep or getting over cafinated or having a sugar high/low. Hams is meant to be fun, if it's not then you need to figure out why.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 27, 2018

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Every time I see the word “T’au” my mind reads it with a hiccup in the middle.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Another one is stance on dropped dice or clocked dice, always a contentious factor if not discussed before hand.

Also, I'd be of the stance that in 40k, people can forget things and make mistakes. If the opponent is been reasonable and not taking the piss, I'd let him mulligan the odd move or charge if he forgot or did it incorrectly.

Now I do stress that within reason, if he rolls a fist of dice for a shooting attack then asks to be allowed to cast a psychic power because he forgot, no chance.

I go by a simple rule for cocked dice - if it’s a contentious call whether it’s cocked, try balancing another dice on top. If it stays, it’s not cocked, if it doesn’t, it is.

As for Mulligans - can always take back or reassess something you’ve just done, but if you roll dice then that option has gone.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

I go by a simple rule for cocked dice - if it’s a contentious call whether it’s cocked, try balancing another dice on top. If it stays, it’s not cocked, if it doesn’t, it is.

As for Mulligans - can always take back or reassess something you’ve just done, but if you roll dice then that option has gone.

My personal rule of thumb for cocked dice is that if it's at all iffy I'll only reroll it if it looks like it's a good roll for me. If it's a failure, I let it stand.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

SRM posted:

Wait, Pandemonium in Cambridge? Or is there another loving awful store called Pandemonium that sounds just like the one near me?

Pandemonium in Michigan. The store that posted this on the front door and gained a small modicum of Internet fame because of it:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Another two I remember that I think are important are:

Do not under any touch my dice or models without my consent.

There are exceptions of course, but if I make a roll and you start picking out dice for me or touch any of my rolls, I will be pissed. Same with my models; if I bought/assembled/painted them, you need to ask me if you can touch them.

Secondly, do not get in my space. Too many players in 40k do not have a clue what personal space means. People have different boundaries, I get that and there are exceptions.

But I hate people in my space and if you do it repeatedly, your going to piss me off fast.

These sound silly, but I seriously have had problems with people over these issues.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My general rule on personal space is, "if I can punch you, you're too close."

For serious repeat offenders, the last warning is, "If I can punch you, I will."

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
buncha tough guys itt

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Another two I remember that I think are important are:

Do not under any touch my dice or models without my consent.

I do think that if you roll 14 wounds or whatever I should be allowed to just roll the dice you succeeded with instead of counting out my own dice for no real reason. Same with if you have casualties deep on my side of the board, I'll expect to hand them to you instead of you walking around the table (or row of tables at a tournament). Game's slow enough as it is.

I'll usually preface it with "I'll just roll those" or "Which ones do you want?", but I'm not really expecting a no.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Went to pick up my custodes. FLGS got zero boxes of custodian guard squads :psyduck: Related: If I hear one more person quote TTS' stupid poo poo about gold again I might crack.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Bombogenesis posted:

Went to pick up my custodes. FLGS got zero boxes of custodian guard squads :psyduck: Related: If I hear one more person quote TTS' stupid poo poo about gold again I might crack.

They'll be back to telling you about all their favorite Rick and Morty quotes soon enough.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully I haven't been to this FLGS enough to know if that's a thing I should actually worry about or not but now I'm worried. Jerk. Assuming it's like the FLGS where I lived in WI then I'll get to listen to the occasional "No y'see it's cool that Grey Knights murdered Sisters because..." or general "Women are the weaker sex and also Trump is right" stuff.

Nerds are literally the worst.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Pandemonium in Michigan. The store that posted this on the front door and gained a small modicum of Internet fame because of it:

Ah, good ol' Pando. Pretty sure I got a good third of my Guard army out of that used bin, though the selection isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

I wouldn't actually know how bad the local hams there are though, since when I go it's to exclusively play friends from college and we ignore everyone else :v:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Trajann isn't quite as scary as I had expected. Same stats as the shield-captains but with an extra wound. Weapon is Sx2 -3AP D3. He'll be probably be pretty solid one-on-one since he has a 2+/3++. Guardian Spears are D2 shooting and D3 melee, but can also get an extra D1 attack if the model takes a Misericodria(Can't take with shield.).

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

buncha tough guys itt

Do you ever make any worthwhile posts or do you just watch this thread waiting for opportunities to either whine or drop catty little snipes like this?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Bombogenesis posted:

If I hear one more person quote TTS' stupid poo poo about gold again I might crack.

I'm not subbed to Alfabusa, but I knew whenever a new video came out because EVERY. loving. NERD would not stop loving quoting it.

I can barely say Mortarian's name any more without someone screaming pickle rick or doing terrible, terrible impressions of R&M characters as well.

I can't tell you which is worse.

Ayn Marx posted:

Do you ever make any worthwhile posts or do you just watch this thread waiting for opportunities to either whine or drop catty little snipes like this?

Got it in one, completely worthless poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer