Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's hilarious to me that out of all the adaptations Go Nagai World is the one with the most penis on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DisDisDis posted:

Get the Mine Fujiko lady to direct one

god yes

Wark Say posted:

Sayo Yamamoto or Mari Okada?

Honestly, I'm fine with either of them.

Sayo Yamamoto, for sure

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

dogsicle posted:

yamamoto could do a great devilman lady, or cutey honey even

This is the Cutey Honey we need, for the future of anime.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lupin III Netflix series? :fap:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

france is already funding lupin part 5, and there's some other monkey punch project that has been rumored but not named

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shin Mazinger: season 2, only on Netflix

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Shin Mazinger: season 2, only on Netflix

I would subscribe to netflix.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
good show. the best thing was the music

it really resonated with me as an asexual ceiling

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
is a ceiling like an ultra top

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
always the top in the room

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Providing context clues really is the key point though, isn't it? Even if you knew absolutely nothing about ninjutsu or never even heard of it, Naruto goes out of its way to establish the rules of its own world in a way anyone could pick up on.

When it comes to "very Japanese" stuff in anime, I think a lot of that comes down to genre conventions. Like, 'what's a tsundere and why would anyone want to be around one?' or 'why is every woman in this show making one loser the center of their lives?' A lot of that sort of stuff doesn't get explained and does require some meta knowledge, and even if you did get it that wouldn't necessarily make it any more appealing because it's all so niche.

There's also the infamous [translator's note] for references and jokes that only make sense to somebody familiar with Japanese culture and history, which usually only ever get filled in by fansubbers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's a lot of anime targeted toward weeb shits that is pretty much about anime, and probably completely loving incomprehensible unless you're already really familiar with anime fandom in Japan because it's assuming you're going into it with a deep knowledge of that poo poo already. Lucky Star or that I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying show or Genshiken would be more... uh, benign examples of this phenomenon (less so Genshiken than the other two IIRC but it's there). it's not all anime, and it's not even necessarily a large chunk of anime, but it tends to get outsized prominence in anime discussion communities because the loudest weeaboos are the ones who tend to actually understand that poo poo.

these two posts perfectly encapsulate the point i was trying to make.

It was like insanely funny to me when many posters came in to be like "You must be a moron for not understanding this stuff, unrelated but here's a bunch of made-up words that literally only apply to anime"

Like I love Cowboy Bebop and have probably gotten like 30 people to watch it but Edward drags the entire show down and I tried watching subs instead of dubs and it's like 100X worse, but "small hyperactive super whiny annoying girl who is smarter than everyone" is apparently a commonly accepted trope, to give a more concrete example, so i just skip all her episodes when I watch it and dont feel like i miss anything (the comatose AI dude is a good episode in spite of her, i still watch that one).

Another example in a lot of shows is "A dude acts very effeminate and so everyone is really uneasy around him". Is this homophobic? Is he enigmatic? Is his femininity coded to mean he's dangerous? Off the top of my head that's a thing in Outlaw Star and Tokyo Ghoul, which I understand to be more westernized, but also seems to be a big part of Japanese culture in video games, like Sephiroth in FFVII. I seem to recall a lot of this in the 4-5 different Gundams Ive watched, but it might just be one or two.

I have purchased anime cat girl tiddy VHS tapes (its the hot springs episode of outlaw star from the anime import store at the mall in like 2002, i was like 14) i am not saying I dont get cat girl titties, but acting like most anime isn't wall-to-wall tropes seems like a weird hill to me.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 27, 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
To be fair that villain trope is pretty universal and kinda lovely. Even if I approve of our local androgyne Satan, which I can justify in my mind as just esotericism regarding angels

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Don't say trope

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
people are uneasy around feminine men irl, dude

truuuuuust me on that one

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Bust Rodd posted:

Like I love Cowboy Bebop and have probably gotten like 30 people to watch it but Edward drags the entire show down and I tried watching subs instead of dubs and it's like 100X worse, but "small hyperactive super whiny annoying girl who is smarter than everyone" is apparently a commonly accepted trope, to give a more concrete example, so i just skip all her episodes when I watch it and dont feel like i miss anything (the comatose AI dude is a good episode in spite of her, i still watch that one).

Another example in a lot of shows is "A dude acts very effeminate and so everyone is really uneasy around him". Is this homophobic? Is he enigmatic? Is his femininity coded to mean he's dangerous? Off the top of my head that's a thing in Outlaw Star and Tokyo Ghoul, which I understand to be more westernized, but also seems to be a big part of Japanese culture in video games, like Sephiroth in FFVII. I seem to recall a lot of this in the 4-5 different Gundams Ive watched, but it might just be one or two.

neither of these are anime things and are just as common in western media

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also ed owns

she's having a fun time!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Ed is fine I think you're just a huge idiot.

Also the scary gay coded feminine men thing is huge in western media too what

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Expect My Mom posted:

also ed owns

she's having a fun time!

also :yeah:

she's easily the best character in the show

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
only tangentially related, but I love when people expect Bebop and Samurai Champloo to take themselves seriously 100% of the time when so much Watanabe stuff is just as goofy as hell as it is cool.

I should rewatch Champloo, I have a feeling it might surpass Bebop for me

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Expect My Mom posted:

only tangentially related, but I love when people expect Bebop and Samurai Champloo to take themselves seriously 100% of the time when so much Watanabe stuff is just goofy as hell as it is cool.

I have never heard someone expect Champloo to be completely serious. At least not after the first episode. It's just an inherently goofy (and fantastic) show.

Bebop, yeah. I've heard quite a few people try and take it seriously 100% of the time.

e: since we're talking about Champloo, here's a video to make it relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCofrW0am0

Xinder fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 27, 2018

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
going from having basically no exposure to anime except for random episodes of pokemon as a child to starting with Gurren Lagann 6 years ago to being kind of sick of it, i have to say its way better to not be familiar with the cliches

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just to reiterate the two obscure and uniquely Japanese tropes we've been presented with so far are titty fanservice and gay panic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smoking Crow posted:

Don't say trope

Get with the program Triple-Dis! :colbert:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

trope is a perfectly fine word

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
troper is the real poison

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think Bebop is better overall but it doesn't have anything that tops Champloo's baseball episode

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

trope is a perfectly fine word

Not anymore

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wrong.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

trope is tripe

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
*sprinkling salt around the summoning circle*
livingtrope

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

these two posts perfectly encapsulate the point i was trying to make.

It was like insanely funny to me when many posters came in to be like "You must be a moron for not understanding this stuff, unrelated but here's a bunch of made-up words that literally only apply to anime"

I have purchased anime cat girl tiddy VHS tapes (its the hot springs episode of outlaw star from the anime import store at the mall in like 2002, i was like 14) i am not saying I dont get cat girl titties, but acting like most anime isn't wall-to-wall tropes seems like a weird hill to me.

Ed is not an "anime" archetype, she did not emerge from a notable trend (that i know) or codify one that was later spread across hundreds of other anime. she's an eccentric child genius, and these are character traits which exist across the entirety of all fiction. maybe the vocal performance or character tics made/make her uniquely unbearable to you, but that kinda exists outside the original conversation imo.

honestly not sure how to tackle the effeminacy one. there are definitely cultural factors that result in this being more prevalent in japanese media, and i'm certain even i don't understand the full scope of them. their presence in a show never bothered me though and eventually just made me curious enough to learn a bit about it. but hell i'm a gay deviant and was primed for that sort of effeminate character via Scar (Lion King), Him (Powerpuff Girls), and Jafar (Aladdin). this being brought up in this list rubs me weirdly.

when i was willing to bat for you earlier i assumed your confusion was being assaulted with things others mentioned like tsundere or yandere, things given their own unique japanese terms that may obfuscate understanding of the archetype. i just dunno how this discussion gets reopened with two incredibly broad "anime tropes" that were not spawned by the medium nor do they struggle to exist outside of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

only tangentially related, but I love when people expect Bebop and Samurai Champloo to take themselves seriously 100% of the time when so much Watanabe stuff is just as goofy as hell as it is cool.

Watch Space Dandy if you haven't already, because it was criminally underrated and showcased so many different directors and animation houses/styles. The episode directed by Yuasa is one of the most chill things to watch.

DisDisDis posted:

Just to reiterate the two obscure and uniquely Japanese tropes we've been presented with so far are titty fanservice and gay panic

It's easy to dismiss genre conventions by pointing out one or two examples of the same thing in other media, but those examples are infamous precisely because they're unique stories and not genre conventions. There isn't a unique word in english for a person who acts like they hate you even though they're secretly in love with you, because acting like you hate the object of your affection is a childish behavior that doesn't come up much in stories about teenagers and adults - yet it gets repeated over and over again in anime to the point there's a word for it.

It's weird to keep insisting that there's nothing unique about anime or its conventions, because those exotic or esoteric qualities are part of why a lot of people get into anime in the first place. It's such a conventionally distinct artform that everybody calls it anime because it's so distinct from Western styles of animation, instead of just calling it animation or Japanese cartoons. This all feels a lot like desperate nitpicking to deny how weird anime can get, so that people can pretend watching a lot of anime is a normal hobby - and anyone who might not get it is just an idiot.

Calling people idiots because they're not familiar with or are confused by the conventions of a medium just makes it more insular, not more inclusive.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's easy to dismiss genre conventions by pointing out one or two examples of the same thing in other media, but those examples are infamous precisely because they're unique stories and not genre conventions. There isn't a unique word in english for a person who acts like they hate you even though they're secretly in love with you, because acting like you hate the object of your affection is a childish behavior that doesn't come up much in stories about teenagers and adults - yet it gets repeated over and over again in anime to the point there's a word for it.

It's weird to keep insisting that there's nothing unique about anime or its conventions, because those exotic or esoteric qualities are part of why a lot of people get into anime in the first place. It's such a conventionally distinct artform that everybody calls it anime because it's so distinct from Western styles of animation, instead of just calling it animation or Japanese cartoons. This all feels a lot like desperate nitpicking to deny how weird anime can get, so that people can pretend watching a lot of anime is a normal hobby - and anyone who might not get it is just an idiot.

Calling people idiots because they're not familiar with or are confused by the conventions of a medium just makes it more insular, not more inclusive.

this post would matter more if the guy actually was complaining about tsunderes and not incredibly basic broad stuff like gay panic, queer-coded villains, and (annoying) child geniuses.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's obviously a uniqueness in anime because it does so much different than the western cartoons we were used to as kids, from story format to animation style and obviously the aesthetics. there are blatant expressions of their culture and also more subtle touchstones, plus the sort of ouroboros of homage that has resulted in stuff like Devilman inspiring Eva inspiring this new Devilman. specifically, people are objecting to this idea that anime is impenetrable or somehow uniquely other, especially when it is being advanced by frankly awful examples.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

dogsicle posted:

this post would matter more if the guy actually was complaining about tsunderes and not incredibly basic broad stuff like gay panic, queer-coded villains, and (annoying) child geniuses.

Well apparently he doesn't even watch that much anime, so how would he know how to talk about it? There was a very simple and straightforward point that part of why Crybaby is so successful is that it's an extremely accessible story that anybody can relate to without special knowledge, and the response to that has been to deny that any anime is weird and that it's all easy to understand.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The response has been to point out that the examples he gives of how anime is a uniquely impenetrable medium are either actually incredibly obvious (titties) and/or pretty universal in all media. No one is here trying to say that Lucky Star is easily accessible to people who know nothing about anime culture or whatever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well apparently he doesn't even watch that much anime, so how would he know how to talk about it? There was a very simple and straightforward point that part of why Crybaby is so successful is that it's an extremely accessible story that anybody can relate to without special knowledge, and the response to that has been to deny that any anime is weird and that it's all easy to understand.

i mean i gave the original post some benefit of the doubt, but in the posts since it has become obvious that anime literacy/accessibility isn't the problem. anime being hard to understand because someone wrongly attribute tropes to it is not anime's fault and yeah people should push back on that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Also Eromanga is a bad example of the unique weirdness of otaku anime or w/e cuz there's a Nabokov novel with the same premise except the siblings are blood related and they gently caress

e; this isn't that topical I just think about it sometimes and it makes me laugh.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nobody knows about any Nabokov novel that isn't Lolita, and most of them haven't read that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Nina posted:

To be fair that villain trope is pretty universal and kinda lovely. Even if I approve of our local androgyne Satan, which I can justify in my mind as just esotericism regarding angels

Yeah also I'm a trans girl and literally any time Satan (or Ryo once I realized where they were going with the character) was on screen, I was hollering variants of "Aaaaah that's me". poo poo rules, and is done with way more thoughtful empathy than the standard "weird gender poo poo means ominous villainy" archetype that I've been seeing in both Eastern and Western fiction for the last . . . ever

• Locked thread