Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Spoderman posted:

Thanks for posting this! I signed up, and hell, I plan to run.

I'm pretty tempted myself honestly - can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i should mention that your responsibilities as a county committee member are to get a handful of signatures to get on the ballot and show up at the party committee meetings held every six months or so. that's it. there's barely any effort involved

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that was already gonna be my platform - "I'll go to the meeting"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I signed up too. Why the gently caress not, I'll run!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/957246645657325568

What if Texas, but cold? :thunk:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's cool about new york is how much better off the nation and world would be without it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If only the biggest majority-minority city in the country would just go away

-forums poster zeal

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
CEOs want ethics reform in Albany? Do they mean like ... less ethics than we have now?

In education news that's a little late, Cuomo vetoed the maintenance of effort bill yet again:
http://www.albanystudentpress.net/cuomo-rejects-suny-cuny-funding-legislation/

He also pushed off considering a well supported proposal from Community College presidents to shift funding off of a per-student FTE model to a model similar to the 4-year SUNY institutions (more of a line item funding method)

Considering the Excelsior Scholarship has actually had a small but measurable negative effect on already dropping Community College enrollment, things are starting to get worrisome. :(

I work in a bougie area so it's not completely terrible for us yet but "good" economy always depresses CC enrollment and the state really has never kept up their end of the funding. Even our notoriously stingy county is stepping up to increase funding. If Cuomo really supports education like he constantly says something will have to change soon on both the 2 and 4 year fronts.

Or we can wait till the economy tanks and hope for 2008-2010 numbers again! :v:

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jan 27, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

Considering the Excelsior Scholarship has actually had a small but measurable negative effect on already dropping Community College enrollment, things are starting to get worrisome. :(

How does that work?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How does that work?

CCs generally get a decent amount of students who would get into 4-year schools academically but want to save money or can't afford the full 4 years. They are generally on the edge of getting scholarships at 4-years so they don't have that option, and may not be so poor they can get Pell. They often qualified for a free ride with my school because we have specific county-based scholarships for exactly those cases, then transferred and saved a bunch of money.

With Excelsior, those students can skip a community college now because the money part is taken care of, or for the "good" students they can do what they wanted in the first place and go the full four years at their first choice state school.

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jan 27, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

CCs generally get a decent amount of students who would get into 4-year schools academically but want to save money or can't afford the full 4 years. They are generally on the edge of getting scholarships at 4-years so they don't have that option, and may not be so poor they can get Pell. They often qualified for a free ride with my school because we have specific county-based scholarships for exactly those cases, then transferred and saved a bunch of money.

With Excelsior, those students can skip a community college now because the money part is taken care of, or for the "good" students they can do what they wanted in the first place and go the full four years at their first choice state school.

Oh. I see. :smith:

They would still save on the lack of required on-campus living, though, right? That can cost a fortune in itself, and I don't think Excelsior covers that.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They would still save on the lack of required on-campus living, though, right? That can cost a fortune in itself, and I don't think Excelsior covers that.

I think the trend has been out sourcing on campus living. I went to a CUNY on Staten Island and they eventually put up their own dorms. But the dorms are owned and ran by a private company

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

I think the trend has been out sourcing on campus living. I went to a CUNY on Staten Island and they eventually put up their own dorms. But the dorms are owned and ran by a private company

I mean, it doesn't really matter whether it's private or not, it's the fact that it's pricier than market/stay at home, and is mandatory for, I want to say freshmen in many universities.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, it doesn't really matter whether it's private or not, it's the fact that it's pricier than market/stay at home, and is mandatory for, I want to say freshmen in many universities.

Oh I tought you were talking about the cost of operating the dorms. And yes they were much moor ridiculously expensive than some of the off campus renting that a bunch of people did before (and probably still do) they went up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Oh I tought you were talking about the cost of operating the dorms. And yes they were much moor ridiculously expensive than some of the off campus renting that a bunch of people did before (and probably still do) they went up

Yeah, so what I'm saying is, I imagine most CC's don't have residency requirements, so you can save by renting outside with some friends/staying with the parents while you take those first two years.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You'd think, but a lot of the community colleges now offer dorms as an attempt to shore up enrollment, attract international students, etc.We do, and as said before they are run by our association, which is technically a different company.

Community College residence hall issues are a whoooooole other discussion, but yes, students now have the option for that at many of the county-based CCs now.

I would hope a fiscally-concerned student (and family) would consider commuting/pooling with friends first but sometimes that isn't what they want.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

You'd think, but a lot of the community colleges now offer dorms as an attempt to shore up enrollment, attract international students, etc.We do, and as said before they are run by our association, which is technically a different company.

Community College residence hall issues are a whoooooole other discussion, but yes, students now have the option for that at many of the county-based CCs now.

I would hope a fiscally-concerned student (and family) would consider commuting first but sometimes that isn't what they want.

It's so weird to me, because where I went to undergrad, you had to show financial concerns or win a scholarship to be allowed to live on the highly-subsidized dorms.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
At U Texas in Austin, freshmen got preference for dorms, and food etc was included as part of the costs. It was still more expensive then living off campus, but it's a good "half-way house" for people living on their own for the first time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How about we reform their necks instead. :thermidor:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

When I went to Dutchess Community College, I was in the first group of students to live in the dorms, which opened during my second year. I didn't really want to live there, but my childhood house had been foreclosed and it was the cheapest option. A lot of students were there for the "college experience" and were highly obnoxious. One of my roommates failed out on the first semester.

Dutchess is a good school though. I had to go there because I couldn't afford a four-year school off the bat and my high school grades were good but not good enough for scholarships

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My dad is an adjunct at Dutchess, it's a nice place. I spent a year loving around (instead of attending classes) there.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

LegionAreI posted:

:frogon:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I work at Dutchess, so the post above me kinda sums up what the deal is on a larger scale. :v: And because I work there I'm being a bit judicious about how I say things.

We have some great students in the residence hall. However, your "typical" community college student already has a larger range of challenges to overcome if they are going to excel. For a lot of them, if they have their support structures in place they do great. But put them on their own and it just falls right apart in sometimes spectacularly stupid ways.
AKA the student I had who told their advisor they couldn't wake up for my class. My class was at 2pm. That one is tame but I'm sure you can imagine other possibilities!
Add in that it's been extremely difficult to retain key staff in that area and it can be a problem.

Suprise, it takes a lot of investment to make a dorm into a true "learning community" and we are only just now catching up to that after 6 years. We aren't the only ones discovering this and we are in a somewhat better position than a lot of places to address it due to being a good school to start with.

But. Our main cash flow is tuition, that's going down because of all the stuff I wrote above, and it snowballs. Welcome to SUNY!

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Jan 27, 2018

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

oh poo poo, lots of DCC folks itt

what department are you in?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

majormonotone posted:

oh poo poo, lots of DCC folks itt

what department are you in?

Computer science. Suprising, I know :v:

Cue DCC goons asking every faculty member if they have stairs in their house

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Jan 28, 2018

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

LegionAreI posted:

I don't understand. you're upset that good students can start out where they belong now without stopping at a garbage tier school first?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't understand. you're upset that good students can start out where they belong now without stopping at a garbage tier school first?

No, he's worried that community colleges, which are already tight on funds, are being stressed even more. If you think CCs are lovely garbage for people on the wrong side of the meritocratic divide, then this shouldn't worry you.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

also lol if you think the average four-year college is significantly better than the average CC for anything but a name on your resume

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
CC's are likelier to have professors who are really dedicated to teaching than a public research university, too.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Grondoth posted:

No, he's worried that community colleges, which are already tight on funds, are being stressed even more. If you think CCs are lovely garbage for people on the wrong side of the meritocratic divide, then this shouldn't worry you.

That's just another way of saying that he's concerned that NY doing more to help prospective college students make their way to the last dollar is helping financially disadvantaged but high achieving students attain their goals because that happens to be bad for his employer. I have to tell you I'm not sympathetic. He's literally regretful that the government is helping students pursue four year degrees. That's so gross.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ogmius815 posted:

That's just another way of saying that he's concerned that NY doing more to help prospective college students make their way to the last dollar is helping financially disadvantaged but high achieving students attain their goals because that happens to be bad for his employer. I have to tell you I'm not sympathetic. He's literally regretful that the government is helping students pursue four year degrees. That's so gross.

I think you’re deliberately being obtuse here.

What we’re talking about is a perverse incentive created by the fundamentally hosed up funding formula the state uses for higher ed, and the specific effect that Exelscior has in that context is that community colleges suffer, and become less able to serve those students for whom excelsior is, for whatever reason, not an option. (And who are often the most vulnerable and in need students - returning adults, part time, etc.)

That’s not “boo boo my employer is hurt because some people have new opportunities” unless you’re trying real hard to misunderstand the context.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I guess it's just weird to frame that as a problem with excelsior rather than a problem with the SUNY system itself. But that framing is in keeping with the kind of criticism of excelsior I've heard since the beginning, which has often come pretty close to saying that excelsior is actually bad simply because it is in many ways imperfect.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Let's not put words in my mouth here. I'm happy for students to get their education in any way they can. I went straight to a 4-year state school, after all. But someone asked me to explain how Excelsior had a negative effect on Community College enrollment. I explained.

The overall issue is that funding for all education in New York is hosed up no matter what kind of nice-sounding bandaid Cuomo puts on it. That goes for all schools. That, and there is a continual issue with state and SUNY initiatives that get tossed out in big speeches by the Governor or the Chancellor without any thought about the details. Requirements and the application process for Excelsior were literally made up on the fly after the announcement with financial aid people at all schools scrambling to come up with something workable after FREE RIDE was blasted all over the news. The State helped but as far as I'm told they were pretty clueless as to what Cuomo wanted too. The fact that they did get it out there and got some students in was amazing. If it helped someone, great! But it did have some unforeseen consequences that could have been mitigated with a real development process and an actually viable funding model in place. Do we even know if Excelsior is sustainable? How are we going to police the residency requirement? Nobody knows!

As we know, though, hard work and hard choices about education that are sustainable and scalable are BORING. We need awesome sound bytes and flashy initiatives that play well on TV!

But when well supported and well-researched proposals to start addressing a massive issue come forward, it's veto or "oh we need to look at that in it's proper place." (Never)

That's what I'm upset about, not that Community Colleges lost some students. I'm upset that Albany's answer to a fundamental problem for SUNY as a whole is slapping sparkly stickers on it.

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jan 28, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LegionAreI posted:

Computer science. Suprising, I know :v:

Cue DCC goons asking every faculty member if they have stairs in their house

Hply poo poo, you definitely know my dad. He's in his 70s and teaches introductory classes.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

This is a good post. The concern about funding is awfully valid. Imagine if Excelsior only funded people to go to private universities. We'd have the same problem, shifted up a run on the meritocracy ladder.

Also, lol at tons of people getting super defensive about CC when no one was even talking poo poo.

E: But also, more CC dorm stories please!!!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry to interrupt community college chat. i have nothing to add there because i don't have any personal stories about that but it's fun to read

cuomo is expected to call special elections for the 11 vacancies in the legislature on April 24. this includes two senate seats vacated by Rubin Diaz Sr. and George Latimer. the former seat is a shoo-in for Luis Sepulveda, who will be a marked improvement over Diaz. the other one will be hotly contested because it's in Westchester County and the GOP has been eyeing it for a while

under the arrangement made a couple of months ago, the mainline and IDC caucuses will reunite. i'm sure that won't stop people from challenging the likes of Peralta, Hamilton, Alcantara, and Klein, but it'll probably ruin a lot of the challengers' momentum

there's a catch, of course- the budget is typically decided in late March, and there's still the issue of Simcha Felder. if i had to guess, he'll probably stay with the GOP and wait until the midterms to see how things shake out. but i was wrong about Miner so :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

sorry to interrupt community college chat. i have nothing to add there because i don't have any personal stories about that but it's fun to read

cuomo is expected to call special elections for the 11 vacancies in the legislature on April 24. this includes two senate seats vacated by Rubin Diaz Sr. and George Latimer. the former seat is a shoo-in for Luis Sepulveda, who will be a marked improvement over Diaz. the other one will be hotly contested because it's in Westchester County and the GOP has been eyeing it for a while

Why even bother at this point? Might as well wait an additional 7 months for the general elections.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’d imagine it’s to cement some sort of incumbency advantage.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This is a good post. The concern about funding is awfully valid. Imagine if Excelsior only funded people to go to private universities. We'd have the same problem, shifted up a run on the meritocracy ladder.

Also, lol at tons of people getting super defensive about CC when no one was even talking poo poo.

E: But also, more CC dorm stories please!!!!!

in fairness I did call them "garbage tier". that was wrong of me, community colleges are wonderful institutions that provide access to education to many people. there should be more of them and they should have more money.

if it isn't clear from my posting, I often say dumb poo poo that I have not thought through because I am bad.

Ogmius815 has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'd imagine it's to cement some sort of incumbency advantage.
that's probably part of it. given that post-trump state-level special elections have had no blue-to-red switches and a fair amount of red-to-blue, it's pretty safe feel confident about calling them and expecting two dem replacements. the other part is that a deal is still a deal, and cuomo loves to make them because it adds to what he thinks is a positive political trait. and this deal was made a couple months ago