Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Bombogenesis posted:

Trajann isn't quite as scary as I had expected. Same stats as the shield-captains but with an extra wound. Weapon is Sx2 -3AP D3. He'll be probably be pretty solid one-on-one since he has a 2+/3++. Guardian Spears are D2 shooting and D3 melee, but can also get an extra D1 attack if the model takes a Misericodria(Can't take with shield.).

I think what makes him scary is that artifact that gives him the option of fighting twice. That pushes him from a solid, if expensive choice up to something that will be a real threat against most things he could fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
dumbest goddamn gimmick idea of movie marines v2 using supreme command detachments filled with lieutenants and laserbacks.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

Do you ever make any worthwhile posts or do you just watch this thread waiting for opportunities to either whine or drop catty little snipes like this?

ur lucky ur not within punching distance nerd

one time this mouthbreather tried to shake my loving hand after a game, i laid that fucker out. i swear he mustve had the tism or something i mean who does that isnt it obvious by my body language that i dont want you anywhere near me

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I do think that if you roll 14 wounds or whatever I should be allowed to just roll the dice you succeeded with instead of counting out my own dice for no real reason. Same with if you have casualties deep on my side of the board, I'll expect to hand them to you instead of you walking around the table (or row of tables at a tournament). Game's slow enough as it is.

I'll usually preface it with "I'll just roll those" or "Which ones do you want?", but I'm not really expecting a no.

Fair enough, and in those cases your at least asking. As I said there are exceptions and politeness and charm goes a long way.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pendent posted:

I think what makes him scary is that artifact that gives him the option of fighting twice. That pushes him from a solid, if expensive choice up to something that will be a real threat against most things he could fight.

Unless something changed, characters can't take relics.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

one time this mouthbreather tried to shake my loving hand after a game, i laid that fucker out. i swear he mustve had the tism or something i mean who does that isnt it obvious by my body language that i dont want you anywhere near me

Its really, really funny that you're joking about tough guys, then post like this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Unless something changed, characters can't take relics.

Relic as in a special item he has. I'm on my phone so it's sort of a pain to look up the exact name but he can definitely fight twice at least once per game.

Edit: Its the Moment Shackle. Once per game he can fight twice, heal d3 wounds or regenerate CP.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 27, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its really, really funny that you're joking about tough guys, then post like this.

I think he's being sarcastic

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

I think he's being sarcastic

Yes I understand jokes fam I'm talking about trying to own a thread of plastic war barbie players.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

:allears:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on asking a player you don't know in a casual game to mulligan a decision?

I was about to post something to the effect of "if you don't know them, don't put them on the spot to give you a break at their own expense" because I'm too nice to people and would probably cave in that scenario, and thought hey, maybe it's kind of a lovely thing to ask if it wasn't offered first. Is this something you guys ask for or grant to each other, between opponents?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Naw I generally prefer to accept when I gently caress up. There's no better teacher than to deal with the consequences of your mistakes.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, good ol' Pando. Pretty sure I got a good third of my Guard army out of that used bin, though the selection isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

I wouldn't actually know how bad the local hams there are though, since when I go it's to exclusively play friends from college and we ignore everyone else :v:

You should come to RIW instead. 98% of the guys there are all chill bros who aren't worried about being The Best. Plus, it's pretty quiet most of the time, and there's a huge flat panel tv you can toss on a game/show/movie/stream if you like.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deified Data posted:

Thoughts on asking a player you don't know in a casual game to mulligan a decision?

I was about to post something to the effect of "if you don't know them, don't put them on the spot to give you a break at their own expense" because I'm too nice to people and would probably cave in that scenario, and thought hey, maybe it's kind of a lovely thing to ask if it wasn't offered first. Is this something you guys ask for or grant to each other, between opponents?

I offer a chance to do something that was forgotten, and I might or might not accept an offer myself. But I don't ask. That's rude.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, if I spot my opponent forgetting something I'll remind them, but if I forget something I'm not gonna ask for a do-over.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone here have any advice on how to store lots of magnetised weapons/appendages?

At moment I’m running around with them in tupperware but I’m pretty sure if I keep doing that when they’re painted they’re going to get chipped.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Does anyone here have any advice on how to store lots of magnetised weapons/appendages?

At moment I’m running around with them in tupperware but I’m pretty sure if I keep doing that when they’re painted they’re going to get chipped.

I'd think about getting a piece of steel bar that you can just magnet everything onto.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-36-in-Plain-Steel-Flat-Bar-with-1-8-in-Thick-801767/204225765

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

You should come to RIW instead. 98% of the guys there are all chill bros who aren't worried about being The Best. Plus, it's pretty quiet most of the time, and there's a huge flat panel tv you can toss on a game/show/movie/stream if you like.

Oh I used to go to RIW a bunch for Flames of War, it's definitely a nice store. My friends and I just typically go to Pando since it's marginally closer to everyone, and the other hams being terrible doesn't bother us since we don't play them anyway :v:

That said, what days are you guys typically up there? RIW's not too far from me, and I wouldn't mind stopping by to check out the scene.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty sure if I finish my 30k emperor's children this year I'm going to do some Necrons and paint them in pastels and sandy colours like a big dickhead.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Der Waffle Mous posted:

dumbest goddamn gimmick idea of movie marines v2 using supreme command detachments filled with lieutenants and laserbacks.

I really want movie Marines, but that seems like a dumb way to do it :-(

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I like the Obliterator models just fine, but nasty stretched skin and agony-twisted faces don't quite match the motif of my "Tzeentch is cool man, no really" dudes, so I made my own.

The idea is that they're summoning these dragony-daemon heads from their arms to shoot fire like magical Buster-Cannons.

I plan on doing a set of Mutilators in the same vein with wicked prismatic sword arms.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes I understand jokes fam I'm talking about trying to own a thread of plastic war barbie players.

Yeah it's really pathetic but after a point you just kind of have to move on and feel sorry for the guy.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, if I spot my opponent forgetting something I'll remind them, but if I forget something I'm not gonna ask for a do-over.

I almost always find that someone forgets a charge or something and generally in casual games everyone I've played has handwaved it because we're all still mentally doing charge->fight as a complete thing and it's typically an isolated thing on the other side of the board. I'm training that habit out for tournaments though.

Funniest example like this was a tourney in 5th where my opponent forgot a morale check. I reminded him and he goes 'oh, sure' and rolled it, then failed. He looked at it for a second then goes 'actually I'm not gonna fall back because I didn't have to do it, you forgot' when it was his check to make in the first place. That guy was a proper dick (he also refused to accept I could assault through a wall and we had to call a judge) and I was very pleased to beat him.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh I used to go to RIW a bunch for Flames of War, it's definitely a nice store. My friends and I just typically go to Pando since it's marginally closer to everyone, and the other hams being terrible doesn't bother us since we don't play them anyway :v:

That said, what days are you guys typically up there? RIW's not too far from me, and I wouldn't mind stopping by to check out the scene.

Thursdays for sure, but there's almost always a few people up there Friday and Saturday. Today I heard they are streaming LVO and playing. You can always join the RIW Warhammer 40k Players Facebook group and get in a pickup game whenever though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Thursdays for sure, but there's almost always a few people up there Friday and Saturday. Today I heard they are streaming LVO and playing. You can always join the RIW Warhammer 40k Players Facebook group and get in a pickup game whenever though.

Thanks! Not sure when I'll have the chance, but I'll definitely try to swing by sometime.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've always been removing my misses and leaving the hits when rolling pools of dice, and I would be immediately suspicious of someone doing it the other way around. I mean like, especially if you're using a dice tray, the misses get rerolled or they go away. If you take the hits first, you're just adding another step in rolling because you have to dump the misses anyway.

Also I've had a knight since the first release done up for admech but I never finished him with transfers and stuff. When these tiny knights come out I'm gonna have to buy a few to be his shelf buddies.

After I finish the backlog.

:negative:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just curious what the current meta for Blood Angels is. Have the DI box set Primaris, Tycho and Maphiston. What to know what to get next.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Pandemonium in Michigan. The store that posted this on the front door and gained a small modicum of Internet fame because of it:

Mods change my name to Odorus Ofensivius, TIA.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just curious what the current meta for Blood Angels is. Have the DI box set Primaris, Tycho and Maphiston. What to know what to get next.

Libby Dread, Death Co Box, Lemartes.

(Alternately you could just scrounge some regular assault marines and paint them black with red stripes).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Most/many of us are really liking a core of Primaris stuff- the DI box is a good place to start but you won't regret a second box of Inceptors. Assuming you don't want to go all Primaris though you'll need some of our hard-hitting assault infantry like Death Company or Sanguinary Guard- realistically Death Company are going to be the stronger option of the two due to sheer efficiency. In terms of vehicles I'd grab a Predator or two, Librarian and Death Company Dreadnoughts are solid (and built from the same kit) and if you like Primaris a Repulsor may not be a bad idea.

That'll get you started. Assuming you aren't looking for something hyper-competetive most units are pretty playable these days and I honestly can't think of anything that I would consider to be a flat out trap.

DiHK posted:

(Alternately you could just scrounge some regular assault marines and paint them black with red stripes).

Man, the Death Company box is one of the best sources for Blood Angels bits for the rest of your army. I'd absolutely pick up a box or two, if not that Death Company bundle that I can't seem to find on the webstore anymore.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 27, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Most/many of us are really liking a core of Primaris stuff- the DI box is a good place to start but you won't regret a second box of Inceptors. Assuming you don't want to go all Primaris though you'll need some of our hard-hitting assault infantry like Death Company or Sanguinary Guard- realistically Death Company are going to be the stronger option of the two due to sheer efficiency. In terms of vehicles I'd grab a Predator or two, Librarian and Death Company Dreadnoughts are solid (and built from the same kit) and if you like Primaris a Repulsor may not be a bad idea.

That'll get you started. Assuming you aren't looking for something hyper-competetive most units are pretty playable these days and I honestly can't think of anything that I would consider to be a flat out trap.

Thanks for the advice!

Is Tycho still usable?

Also... Say I wanted to go hyper competative....

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Played against Custodes today. Assault Hellblasters parked next to a captain do a ton of work.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Is Tycho still usable?

Also... Say I wanted to go hyper competative....

Tycho is pretty good at babysitting your backfield, being the only captain with a 2+ and cheaper than a normal captain with equivalent wargear.

I'm the wrong person to talk to about hyper competetive builds but I know there's a least a few lists doing OK at LVO that feature decent sized BA detachments. I saw one that was running two of the Primarch-killing captains, for instance. You'll definitely want Death Company though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Played against Custodes today. Assault Hellblasters parked next to a captain do a ton of work.

Dark Angel Hellblasters are even nastier.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dark Angel Hellblasters are even nastier.

No truer words were ever said. Couple them with Azriel, lieutenant, and a apothecary....

Im still feeling it now.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Two Beans posted:

I like the Obliterator models just fine, but nasty stretched skin and agony-twisted faces don't quite match the motif of my "Tzeentch is cool man, no really" dudes, so I made my own.

The idea is that they're summoning these dragony-daemon heads from their arms to shoot fire like magical Buster-Cannons.

I plan on doing a set of Mutilators in the same vein with wicked prismatic sword arms.

Wicked idea, good execution - I really like those 30k terminator designs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've been reading the Custodes book today. The new fluff is good, it manages to avoid dipping into more stupid excesses of some of the more established armies.

Custodes confirmed for functionally immortal and not created even remotely like Astartes. In the period since the Heresy the average length of time each Captain-General has held that post for is just shy of six hundred years. There are serving Custodes well over a thousand years old. There's no hard reason for there not to be actual Heresy veterans walking around other than once they feel their reactions slipping even fractionally the Custodes take what amounts to the Long Walk from Judge Dredd. Going out to serve as spies in the Imperium at large.

I also put together this rough list for a Battalion Detachment, it comes out to 101pl or ~1950 points. It's 21 men and a tank.

HQ
Shield-Captain in Allarus Terminator armour
Relic - Eagle's Eye, +1 to invulnerable saves making him 2+/3++

Shield-Captain
Relic - Gatekeeper, making his spear rapid fire 3 and letting him hit Overwatch on 3+

TROOPS
3 Custodes
1x shield, 2x spear

5 Custodes
2x shield, 3x spear

5 Custodes
2x shield, 3x spear

ELITES
5 Allarus Terminators

Vexilus Praetor
+1 attack

HEAVY
Venerable Land Raider

I'd start the Vexilus, Shield-Captain, and smaller Custodes squad in the Land Raider. Deploy the other two Custodes squads using the deep strike strategem, and deep strike the terminators using their suits. I'm thinking that the Allarus squad would come down on the enemy general, twat him and then split up into five individuals to cause mayhem.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Pendent posted:

Man, the Death Company box is one of the best sources for Blood Angels bits for the rest of your army. I'd absolutely pick up a box or two, if not that Death Company bundle that I can't seem to find on the webstore anymore.

Couldn't agree more, I just finished giving a 10 man Reivers squad a BA makeover with the leftover bits from one Death Company box - enough to give them each a shoulder pad and half of them a unique backpack, not to mention all the bolters, bolt pistols, and chainswords I have left over if I ever find a need for them. I'm going all in on Death Company since I started with my buddy giving me an old Astorath he had - I don't know that it's particularly competitive but him and Lemartes slamming down from orbit with a 15 man DC unit backed up by dreads pushes all my sweet imagery buttons so that's what I'm doing. I was similarly annoyed they didn't have that bundle anymore.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, good ol' Pando. Pretty sure I got a good third of my Guard army out of that used bin, though the selection isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

I wouldn't actually know how bad the local hams there are though, since when I go it's to exclusively play friends from college and we ignore everyone else :v:

Wuddup fellow Michigoons

I'm up near Flint

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

New respect for anyone who primes white. Decided to just go Deathwing instead of converting Fallen and painting over white is an interesting experience. Dark Angels green in particular is annoying as poo poo to make look ok

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There's no hard reason for there not to be actual Heresy veterans walking around other than once they feel their reactions slipping even fractionally the Custodes take what amounts to the Long Walk from Judge Dredd. Going out to serve as spies in the Imperium at large.

This is really cool. It is definitely a good way to explain why they keep their numbers so low when all they mainly do is sit in a castle and breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Airbrushes for life.