Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Henchman of Santa posted:

This post is funny to me because I’m a Michigan State fan who’s currently ashamed of my favorite teams but a Wooster alum who’s proud of current students for fighting for racial justice this week

Jesus Christ, how many GLCA goons are there (Denison grad/OSU fan here, son of Wooster grad/OSU fan).

fishing with the fam posted:

From the minute they first put on a helmet in peewee football to when they take if off after high school graduation players have it beaten into their heads that football is what matters by their coaches, parents, and peers. Especially in some smaller rural communities, high school football is insanely important to a lot of people. When you are entrenched in that mindset for a majority of your life, it doesn't shock me at all that football is the primary driving force for college choice, regardless of pro prospects.

This is pretty much nail on the head in most of these cases. Everyone likes to point at Penn State/Baylor/Florida State as these instances where the power system/stakes were enough to cause this, but it really doesn't even take that much power at the macro level to do so. Look up Steubenville High School's problems with this from the last decade to see what I mean. Yeah, we can theoretically get the universities to clean up their processing and handling of these incidents, but it doesn't go away without finding a way to eradicate the Steubenvilles of the world from feeding this crap upwards.You can't really even model or process this stuff without understanding that football and other sports are literally a cult, and there's a reason I use that term.

So, religious scholars have a theory called "Deprivation Theory" that basically says people find religion when they feel deprived of meaning or reason for their state in life. As such, you see evangelicals gravitate towards prosperity gospel types that tell them they're successful because God wants them to be, etc. If those needs aren't being met by existing groups, people will group up and deify something else--in this case a literal cult of football. For some fanbases who believe their teams deserve success or want something to distract themselves with, that team becomes the thing of worship and what everything is committed to. If a cult feels they have the incentive to do so, they will cover something up. Whether that's a guy stealing a candy bar, committing rape, or creating a ponzi scheme, they will protect whatever keeps them from feeling deprived of meaning in their own lives. And frankly, there's something horrifically human (in the bad way) about that, because even if we correct that behavior, they might move onto something else as long as there's some type of hole to fill in their live. It's about power, whether at the individual or group level, and we're going to have to reckon with that as a country because the desperate loving grasp for any type of power over our own lives empowers some of the biggest monsters in the world, like these dudes, to operate because that all leads to a vacuum of wanting to do anything about the warts in society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

At least Paterno managed to disappear the DA who declined to prosecute Sandusky the first time jfc

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If you want to see another by-product of this system, watch Last Chance U on Netflix.

It's a documentary series about a community college in Nowheresville, MS that exists pretty much solely to take in football players who wash out of big-name schools for various reasons (academics, crime, drugs, etc) for a year and give them a place to play football while they do whatever they need to become eligible for another big-name school.

The coach is there to rent these kids for a year and win games. The kids are there to get back to being a cog in another big-time football factory. It becomes apparent very quickly that as far back as elementary school, nobody has ever given a drat if the players ever learned anything as long as they were faster, bigger, or stronger than other football kids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And we wonder why these young men are, as a class, notorious for antisocial behaviour. You can write essays about the inherent violence of contact sports if you want, but I think that anyone who is told "As long as you're good at this, nothing else matters" is going to come out hosed up. It could just as well be knitting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

If you want to see another by-product of this system, watch Last Chance U on Netflix.

It's a documentary series about a community college in Nowheresville, MS that exists pretty much solely to take in football players who wash out of big-name schools for various reasons (academics, crime, drugs, etc) for a year and give them a place to play football while they do whatever they need to become eligible for another big-name school.

The coach is there to rent these kids for a year and win games. The kids are there to get back to being a cog in another big-time football factory. It becomes apparent very quickly that as far back as elementary school, nobody has ever given a drat if the players ever learned anything as long as they were faster, bigger, or stronger than other football kids.

Don't forget their saintly academic advisor who's just trying to be some kind of guiding force in their lives.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

So athletics is effectively part of the entertainment industry, where a few people get very rich and a huge number wind up broke. For that reason alone, welding this industry to higher education seems like an incredibly stupid idea.

And just like entertainment, one of the main ways to move from one group to the other is to curry favor with those who are in power.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

At least Paterno managed to disappear the DA who declined to prosecute Sandusky the first time jfc

Pretty much the only thing that could improve my stance on Paterno at all (which currently, despite being an alumnus, is "may he rot forever and be condemned for eternity as well") would be if he actually had managed to kill the DA who declined to prosecute. And then it would be only the tiniest improvement, since he could have offed Sandusky instead and then apologized to everyone he had hurt.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just got an email from the Board of Trustees at MSU

quote:

Dear MSU Community,

As you know, this week has been deeply significant for the survivors of Larry Nassar’s predation and abuse. One after another, they spoke out bravely in open court last week. They asked that their voices be heard, for responsiveness, for action. We acknowledge their voices and say to the survivors, their families, and everyone in our community affected by sexual violence that we are deeply sorry and we recognize that change is overdue.

Today, the Board of Trustees met to take important actions to begin a new day at MSU. We voted to formally accept the resignation of President Lou Anna K. Simon, effective immediately, and appointed Vice President and Secretary to the Board of Trustees Bill Beekman as acting president. In addition, earlier today, Athletic Director Mark Hollis announced his retirement, effective Jan. 31. You can read his statement on the Athletics Department website. We thank him for his many years of service and contributions to MSU Athletics.

Mr. Beekman, who has served in his current role since 2008 and has been with the university in a variety of administrative roles since 1995, has agreed to serve for a short period while we identify an interim president. We will also begin a national search for MSU’s permanent president with input from all members of the MSU community—faculty, staff, students, and alumni.

But this is just the beginning. We acknowledge that there have been failures at MSU, not only in our processes and operations, but in our culture, and we are united in our determination to take all necessary steps to begin a new day and to change the environment at the university. The Board has initiated action to bring in an independent third-party to perform a top-to-bottom review of all our processes relating to health and safety, in every area of the university, and to provide recommendations that we will implement to change the culture of MSU on this important issue.

We also understand that survivors, their families, and the public have many questions about the Nassar matter, and we have asked the Attorney General’s Office to conduct a review of the events surrounding the situation. Today, we are calling on the Attorney General to begin this review as soon as possible and to appoint an independent third-party to promote bipartisan acceptance of the results.

Again, we are committed to taking action to create a culture that provides a safe environment for all members of our community, and the transition to new leadership will be a key component in helping us change course. The Board will play an integral role in these efforts and in making MSU a leader locally and nationally in preventing sexual abuse.

It is clear to the Board that we have not been focused enough on the survivors of Larry Nassar’s abuse. We deeply regret this, and it is our hope is that there will be an opportunity soon to resume dialog with counsel for the survivors, resulting in a fair and just resolution.

We cannot change the past, but we can and will devote our time and resources to foster healing and to move forward together.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Breslin
Chair, MSU Board of Trustees

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/lynseymukomel/status/956953153089490944

the usoc ultimatum is good but they should all probably resign too tbh

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://deadspin.com/entire-usa-gymnastics-board-will-resign-1822463738

Entire USA Gymnastics Board Will Resign

quote:

A day after the U.S. Olympic Committee gave them an ultimatum to resign within six days or have the entire governing body decertified, the 16 remaining USA Gymnastics board members agreed to step down in the wake of the organization enabling Larry Nassar to sexually abuse dozens of girls and women while he was a doctor for them and Michigan State University. A USA Gymnastics spokesperson told Reuters today that “USA Gymnastics will comply with the USOC requirements.”

After failing to send a single representative to Nassar’s sentencing earlier this month, the USOC has used the threat of decertification (which would remove USAG’s ability to pick national teams for the Olympics, and much more) to effectively clean house at the governing body. Michigan State president Lou Anna Simon and athletic director Mark Hollis also resigned this week over their complicity in Nassar’s abuse.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

lol Betsy DeVos ain't gonna do poo poo about poo poo in this situation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stone cold posted:

Betsy DeVos' investigation is gonna end with some really stern high-fives, singing the MSU fight song, and expelling some poor students

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like, everyone knows Betsy DeVos is a piece of poo poo who hates public education but at K-12 level the amount of harm she could inflict was relatively minimal because states rights and whatnot. Her rolling back Title IX protections combined with this incident is a 'textbook' example of the amount of damage someone in her position could cause due to indifference and negligence.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pictured: Lou Anna Simon and her husband, Betsy DeVos and her leathery husband

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I wish there were some administrator who overheard a damning conversation between Simon and DeVos and who had access to some confirmatory e-mails. I'd love for both of these people to burn.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/957056460327964673

This is systemic and the NCAA is unable and unwilling to do anything at all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Friendly reminder that Emmert didn't death penalty PSU and cowardly backed off on any real sanctions when the cult of Paterno pushed back slightly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Close the NCAA

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Emmert is a giant pussy and just like everyone else in his position he chose to do nothing because $$$$$

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Something something AMATEURISM

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gov. Snyder, who has the power to investigate and fire elected officials, is "considering" opening an investigation into the MSU Trustees. https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/26/snyder-action-against-msu-trustees/1070652001/

Meanwhile Dantonio had a press conference and denied everything from the ESPN report. https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ter/1071276001/

Also the Michigan AG said he was going to announce something right after the sentencing but so far not a word from him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mastershakeman posted:

He's hosed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo. It just keeps on getting worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Your Taint posted:

He's hosed.

We can sure hope.

While I suppose it's fashionable to wish unyielding and ever-worse torture on Nasser, I think what really needs to be done is for fuckers like this to go straight to prison for the rest of their miserable lives too. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, pedo enabler!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I wish there were some administrator who overheard a damning conversation between Simon and DeVos and who had access to some confirmatory e-mails. I'd love for both of these people to burn.

i mean...

quote:

Amid all those horrible details and all the broader malpractice, one strangeness stands out. It’s a meeting that former Michigan State president Lou Anna Simon had with Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, and where that meeting fell relative to when DeVos’ federal agency rolled back rules mandating that universities had to investigate (as well as try to prevent) sexual assault and gender violence.

-Sept. 20, 2017: Lou Anna Simon meets with Betsy DeVos. You can even see a picture here of them chatting.
-Sept. 22, 2017: Obama-era Title IX guidance is withdrawn
-Oct. 10, 2017: Michigan State asks to have federal monitoring ended

Now, it’s worth pointing out that those rollbacks didn’t stop the federal government from looking into just what the hell was going on at Michigan State. It also didn’t stop the government from rejecting that Oct. 10 request. While we’re doing caveats, it makes sense that DeVos would be talking to college presidents, including Simon, right before making a big decision on Title IX.

But it is worth remembering, as Simon continues to express shock at her institution’s repeated failure to stop convicted serial abuser Larry Nassar, that she had no problem openly aligning herself with a woman who has some pretty crazy ideas about education, and always said she would gut Title IX. It’s notable, but it might not be surprising. Simon, after all, let the DeVos family donate more than $10 million for a university research building at Michigan State. You are, as the saying goes, the company you keep.

who knows, right?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

i would like to highlight this for every single goddamn idiot who came in here and whined about demolishing college sports

burn it all down friends

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's the guy who didn't prosecute anyone:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Dunnings_III

Was county prosecutor where MSU is, served from 96-2016 until he got arrested on a bunch of prostitution charges. I don't think this has anything to do with the Olympic/NCAA/MSU coverups but God damnit , no wonder the victims weren't believed

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

i would like to highlight this for every single goddamn idiot who came in here and whined about demolishing college sports

burn it all down friends

(NOTE I AM NOT DEFENDING MSU AT ALL RIGHT NOW)
Again, this is not unique to college sports as a very large number of the girls assaulted were through US Gymnastics. The NCAA is a huge problem, yes, but so is literally every other large organization focused on profits before people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching the outside the lines reporting: I hadn't realized that the assistant prosecutor who refused to prosecute the 2010 basketball rape later got a job in the MSU Title IX office.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

burn it all down friends

I think you’d find that college sports fans would probably be first in line to burn down NCAA headquarters.

And I’m not even talking big time football and basketball fans, as the NCAA regularly fucks over the smaller sports and athletes in the smaller sports.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

(NOTE I AM NOT DEFENDING MSU AT ALL RIGHT NOW)
Again, this is not unique to college sports as a very large number of the girls assaulted were through US Gymnastics. The NCAA is a huge problem, yes, but so is literally every other large organization focused on profits before people.

note: i did not say it was the only institution that needed to be burned down

Mahoning posted:

I think you’d find that college sports fans would probably be first in line to burn down NCAA headquarters.

And I’m not even talking big time football and basketball fans, as the NCAA regularly fucks over the smaller sports and athletes in the smaller sports.

some of them

some of them are dirtbags so it’s a real mixed bag

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

stone cold posted:

i mean...

who knows, right?

Yeah, the timing and such is so close that I hope they're as sloppy about collusion as the rest of the administration.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
So... are Izzo and Dantonio next to go? Saw that OTL preview ESPN aired, but I’m still on the fence as to whether those two in particular did anything wrong enough to merit turning the pitchforks to them...at the same time Hollis resigning right away after hearing about this ESPN report leads me to think there’s more smoke.

If MSU athletics get brought down I hope similar investigations start up at other big universities. Goes to show you what a joke the “amateurism” of NCAA is—everyone is tripping over themselves to shove anything that could upset the cash cow under the rug.

Big Slammu fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 27, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big Slammu posted:

So... are Izzo and Dantonio next to go? Saw that OTL preview ESPN aired, but I’m still on the fence as to whether those two in particular did anything wrong enough to merit turning the pitchforks to them...at the same time Hollis resigning right away after hearing about this ESPN report leads me to think there’s more smoke.

If MSU athletics get brought down I hope similar investigations start up at other bus universities. Goes to show you what a joke the “amateurism” of NCAA is—everyone is tripping over themselves to shove anything that could upset the cash cow under the rug.

My guess is that the evidence that they knew and covered it up won't be there, but if that many problems happened under their noses (particularly Dantonio's) without them doing anything they should step down.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What I don’t get is why they protected this Nasser guy so much. it’s not like he was the coach or some irreplaceable public figure. He was just the sleazy doctor. You’d think just for purely selfish reasons they’d care more about the athletes than some no-name doc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

What I don’t get is why they protected this Nasser guy so much. it’s not like he was the coach or some irreplaceable public figure. He was just the sleazy doctor. You’d think just for purely selfish reasons they’d care more about the athletes than some no-name doc.

Because having a known nonce in the organization harms it, it's better to keep covering it up forever rather than risk outing it at any point, no this can never backfire what are you talking about?

The athletes, ultimately, don't matter to the organization, there is a very large supply of them as has been illustrated and they can be easily replaced, but people are less inclined to put money into it if they find out that it's a big molestation racket.

Basically :capitalism:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/BigEZ/status/956963428274450434

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

It takes a lot of effort to become an accessory to sexual assault without being physically present, but we might actually be approaching that legal threshold. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It seems like this program needs to be utterly liquidated, and probably never allowed to reform. The sheer depth and breadth of heinous behaviour and coverups is such that the permanent annihilation of the program, whatever bad consequences it might have, is absolutely for the best.