Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also the Mongols

:stare:

So, about the Muslim Clown Car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spectralent posted:

Why not form the empire of Britain?

Judging by the crown over them lions, I'd say he founded a custom Empire of England.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spectralent posted:

Why not form the empire of Britain?

Scotland was a bit too strong and had s bunch of allies so I couldn't gently caress with them and just formed my own empire.

I'll probably form Britain sooner or later to be double emperor.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What's a good start to really try out a lot of Jade Dragon stuff? I was thinking probably somewhere in Tibet?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a setup of mods that will allow me to create/restore a Hellenistic Roman Empire instead of just making the Byzantines bigger and saying "oh i guess you're purple and Roman now"?

E: like culturally Roman, maybe with unique units/traits/bonuses etc

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greek culture is Roman culture.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is a Roman culture in the game, but I don't think it's possible to acquire anymore

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Annath posted:

Is there a setup of mods that will allow me to create/restore a Hellenistic Roman Empire instead of just making the Byzantines bigger and saying "oh i guess you're purple and Roman now"?

E: like culturally Roman, maybe with unique units/traits/bonuses etc

Project Augustus but it's not compatible with Jade Dragon. Maybe CK2 or HIP will let you? I haven't tried with them

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

WrightOfWay posted:

What's a good start to really try out a lot of Jade Dragon stuff? I was thinking probably somewhere in Tibet?

Old Gods start and whichever of the two blobs in Tibet you like more, you get a strong claim on the empire right off the bat & can eat all your neighbors at will & get huge piles of cash from the Silk Road & the Protectorate is right there

I went with U-Tsang because red is a better color and you start with Lhasa in your demesne, that province alone will have you swimming in gold once you get a trade post up

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The only Roman empire I'm interested in making is a Norman catholic one for shits and giggles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Play as the sultanate of Rum for the true Roman experience.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm a bit into a run as Sococtra, which managed to switch to Messalian really early and some high-Learning Han Hermetic rulers managed to keep the duchy alive and Christian as a vassal of the Sunni Caliph long enough to get 5000 Grace with a Stable China, and flip the switch on the Jurchen nuclear football just as the first Catholic Crusade launched. My absurd Silk Road income let me actually develop my demense, and I've already mopped up Yemen, most of Ethiopia, and even taken Mecca, all in a generation.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

binge crotching posted:

There is a Roman culture in the game, but I don't think it's possible to acquire anymore

I think you can get Hellenic Pagan from being an Immortal and having Incitatus arrive in your court.
Being a Lunatic and making your horse immortal vastly improves the odds.
He's not of Roman culture though.

Roman culture is flagged specifically as not being eligible for random selection, and is only even referenced in history files.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hellenism has been dead and gone for centuries by the earliest start. The old gods long abandoned, the old temples looted and repurposed if not demolished or abandoned. The Roman empire at its height is a distant memory if not a half-remembered dream, its territories drifted apart and buffeted apart by their new masters. The last remnant left of the empire is the Greek half, which makes feeble grabs for Italy and Egypt. The Roman language is almost dead, the Byzantines speak Greek instead, and the peoples of the former territories have either drifted far enough to be their own language or have supplanted the language with either their invaders' or whatever they spoke privately when they were still under Roman dominion.

If you rebuild yourself a new Roman Empire, whatever culture you're rebuilding with can count as your new Roman, but there's nothing left of the old culture to put together into what it once was.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hellenism has been dead and gone for centuries by the earliest start. The old gods long abandoned, the old temples looted and repurposed if not demolished or abandoned. The Roman empire at its height is a distant memory if not a half-remembered dream, its territories drifted apart and buffeted apart by their new masters. The last remnant left of the empire is the Greek half, which makes feeble grabs for Italy and Egypt. The Roman language is almost dead, the Byzantines speak Greek instead, and the peoples of the former territories have either drifted far enough to be their own language or have supplanted the language with either their invaders' or whatever they spoke privately when they were still under Roman dominion.

If you rebuild yourself a new Roman Empire, whatever culture you're rebuilding with can count as your new Roman, but there's nothing left of the old culture to put together into what it once was.

I mean, the earliest start is less than 300 years after the Fall of Rome under Romulus. A long time, but not so long that the Empire would be pseudo-legendary.

But I'll probably just hack a Roman Culture and Hellenistic faith and force it. It'll be close enough.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I think you can get Hellenic Pagan from being an Immortal and having Incitatus arrive in your court.
Being a Lunatic and making your horse immortal vastly improves the odds.
He's not of Roman culture though.

Roman culture is flagged specifically as not being eligible for random selection, and is only even referenced in history files.

Yep, it used to be available for randomly generated characters, which is how you could get it into the game. I think Circe also used to be Roman instead of Greek maybe?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean, the Byzantines didn't change the state language of the Byzantine Empire to Greek until 620. That's only 150 years before the earliest start date of the game. It's definitely not unrealistic that you could find constituents of the Byzantine Empire who spoke Latin or who closely followed the older traditions of the Roman Empire.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

fuf posted:

Seems weird that technology point growth is based on just ruler attributes rather than state attributes. As if my ruler is doing all the research by himself.

Ruler stats are generally about organizing that field of activity rather than direct personal competence in doing whatever it is. See, for example, the difference between martial rating and the success rate in personal duels.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
See also: Joe Q. rear end in a top hat winning the Grand Tournament instead of your 30 Martial warrior king :argh:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hellenism has been dead and gone for centuries by the earliest start.
You can make feminist buddhist ruler of Iceland in this game before the year is 1000. I am sure that imitating culture and language of Roman Empire isn't much weirder than that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I wonder what the earliest plausible start date would be with the game mechanics. Directly after Fall of Western Rome?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

I wonder what the earliest plausible start date would be with the game mechanics. Directly after Fall of Western Rome?

The earliest plausible start date is honestly the 1066 start date for western Europe. The farther you get from there, temporally or geographically, the farther they're stretching the mechanics to fit the cultures.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

You can kinda get away with the 867 start date, but anything before that is terrible. Any start date is also terrible for Islamic states.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

200 years since Justinian's last grasp for Rome, 300 years since the fall of the empire, 400 since the final rise of Christianity and final fracturing of the empire, 700 since the fall of the republic, and 900 since the extinction of the best plant in ancient Rome. There's a running gag in aristocratic circles of people "becoming the new Rome" but it's in the way that people talk about Alexander the Great, aside from the time that the Pope went and granted the title to a friendly king and started a whole new thing. I don't think the common people worried much at all about the fall of the ancient order aside from the resulting instability, which even pre-fall ancient Rome had failed to maintain in the last century at least.

Rome is dead, long live not-Rome. Paradox made a game around ancient Rome that you can go play, but it's old and broken.

Gaius Marius posted:

The earliest plausible start date is honestly the 1066 start date for western Europe. The farther you get from there, temporally or geographically, the farther they're stretching the mechanics to fit the cultures.

Yeah, Paradox gets real bad when it comes to representing large groups of people running around without necessarily having control over the provinces that they're in, and there's just more and more of those the further back you go. And that's not even mentioning the fact that there's often very inconsistent familial succession, which ruins the central mechanic of the game, or things like how the Carolingians had actually been the power behind the throne for generations before Pepin the Short snagged the crown.

I'm not even sure if CK2's take on Islamic nations are all that accurate, half the issues that plagued them came from the military (or even more importantly, the royal guard) going off and doing their own thing, and that's not represented at all. CK2's bad with internal politics.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I got my Roman cultured, Hellenic Pagan ruler, but for some reason the console command to change the ethnicity just isnt working.

I'm using
code:
gfx_culture <charid> southerngfx
since southerngfx is what is listed as Roman here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Culture#List_of_Cultures

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone got any tips for turning Hindu as Catholic England?

I've got quite a few borders with Hindus but the only problem is that they are the Mongol Empire so I can't just invade and set my capital in a Hindu area, not without having to take on the biggest army in the world and maybe even a few Indian kingdoms joining to defend the faith. I don't think having a Hindu educate my heir works as well as it used to with the new system. So I'm stumped.

I wanna get the British Raj achievement.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

See also: Joe Q. rear end in a top hat winning the Grand Tournament instead of your 30 Martial warrior king :argh:

There's currently some sort of issue preventing your ruler from taking part in the tournaments that you hold, so you will never win a tournament that you hold as an independent ruler. It might still be possible to win one as a vassal, but I haven't tested it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’m coming back into the game after being absent for a few DLC and god knows how many patches. Is CK2+ still the go-to mod these days? I always liked how it handled crusades and how it fleshed out being a vassal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Annath posted:

I mean, the earliest start is less than 300 years after the Fall of Rome under Romulus. A long time, but not so long that the Empire would be pseudo-legendary.

I wonder about this, sometimes. You have to figure that, once everyone who lived through a historical event is dead, it starts to be a half-remembered story. Once everyone who ever knew anyone who lived through it is dead, it's tale told to you by someone who themselves only knows it as a story. So your history -> myth horizon might be as little as 50-150 years, especially in non-literate cultures. Of course, as far as contemporaries were concerned the Roman empire was still around and doing fine in 769...

e: You guys know that swordsmanship is its own stat now, right? What little justification there ever was for Martial determining tourney results is long gone. Your 30 Martial dude is good at strategy, hitting people with sharp metal is an entirely different skill.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 28, 2018

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I’m coming back into the game after being absent for a few DLC and god knows how many patches. Is CK2+ still the go-to mod these days? I always liked how it handled crusades and how it fleshed out being a vassal.

It's still better than HIP imo. So yes.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Are there any good event pack mods that just add events to the Way of Life events and/or childhood events? Those all get kinda repetitive, but I don't want to play a mod that changes everything like CK2+.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Autonomous Monster posted:

I wonder about this, sometimes. You have to figure that, once everyone who lived through a historical event is dead, it starts to be a half-remembered story. Once everyone who ever knew anyone who lived through it is dead, it's tale told to you by someone who themselves only knows it as a story. So your history -> myth horizon might be as little as 50-150 years, especially in non-literate cultures. Of course, as far as contemporaries were concerned the Roman empire was still around and doing fine in 769...

Here's a fun little exercise: How would the average person on the street today picture life in 1700, and how would the general shape of history at that point be described by them?

Like, there's people who think of WW2 as ancient history, and that was 70-80 years ago.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Annath posted:

I got my Roman cultured, Hellenic Pagan ruler, but for some reason the console command to change the ethnicity just isnt working.

I'm using
code:
since southerngfx is what is listed as Roman here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Culture#List_of_Cultures

If you can customize a ruler at the start you can pick Roman culture, then when you use the intrigue screen to invite courtiers they will be roman too. I am not sure about making them Hellenistic but it might be in there too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Don't forget that there are culture change events during the course of the game itself which eliminate "old" cultures mid-game, such as the English melting pot event.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Annath posted:

I'm using
code:

You want the term in the right-hand column, listed as "code," instead of southerngfx. In this case, it should be roman.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

If you can customize a ruler at the start you can pick Roman culture, then when you use the intrigue screen to invite courtiers they will be roman too. I am not sure about making them Hellenistic but it might be in there too.

Do customized rulers count for achievements?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Roadie posted:

Do customized rulers count for achievements?

As long as it's done through the Ruler Customizer DLC, yes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Am I correct in assuming I am missing basically nothing for not picking up Jade Dragon?

Those new CBs sound interesting...but the idea of interacting with a ethereal Chinese Empire seems really really lame.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Alikchi posted:

It's still better than HIP imo. So yes.

HIP without SWMH is pretty good and doesn't run like poo poo the way that CK2+ does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

Am I correct in assuming I am missing basically nothing for not picking up Jade Dragon?

Those new CBs sound interesting...but the idea of interacting with a ethereal Chinese Empire seems really really lame.

I got Jade Dragon and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Although it depends where you usually play. I’ve been doing Tibet and India and find that it adds a lot to it. But if you stick to Western Europe you’re probably not gong to get as much out of it.

• Locked thread