Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

It seems like this program needs to be utterly liquidated, and probably never allowed to reform. The sheer depth and breadth of heinous behaviour and coverups is such that the permanent annihilation of the program, whatever bad consequences it might have, is absolutely for the best.

I find this line of thinking useless. Not because I give a poo poo whether MSU Athletics is wiped off the face of the earth or not, but because it takes our focus away from the people that did this and puts the onus on the institution.

There are a very specific group of people that are responsible for everything that has gone on. They need to be investigated and charged and brought to justice. There needs to be no mercy.

But the Michigan State Athletic Department didn’t do anything. The people who make it up did. They deserve the blame. They deserve the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I find this line of thinking useless. Not because I give a poo poo whether MSU Athletics is wiped off the face of the earth or not, but because it takes our focus away from the people that did this and puts the onus on the institution.

There are a very specific group of people that are responsible for everything that has gone on. They need to be investigated and charged and brought to justice. There needs to be no mercy.

But the Michigan State Athletic Department didn’t do anything. The people who make it up did. They deserve the blame. They deserve the consequences.

The counter to that would be that institutions as a structure enable people to cover things up this way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mahoning posted:

It is both a series of acts by individual people, and a systemic problem at the institutional level, and both the individuals and the institution need to be held responsible.

Look at de-Nazification in Germany. It found and punished a whole shitton of Nazis, but it went beyond finding individual Nazis onto utterly destroying the structures that allowed those individuals to do what they did, down to a prohibition on Nazi iconography that persists to this day.

I'm not saying that allowing 200 people to be raped is quite as bad as killing twelve million people, but I don't see a reason it's not sufficiently bad to merit the same general line of thinking when it comes to assigning institutional responsibility.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The "very specific group" is the leadership of an institution spending at least two decades (that we're aware of) developing a legal strategy to preempt any ability to investigate hundreds of rapes (that we're aware of) perpetrated by members of that institution. That's not specific at all. That's general.

The more I find out about this the more I'm coming around very loving strongly to stone cold's views.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mahoning posted:

The two aren't exclusive, everyone involved goes to the wall, the program is liquidated.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

The more I find out about this the more I'm coming around very loving strongly to stone cold's views.
"Burn it the gently caress down" is pretty much 100% correct.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The counter to that would be that institutions as a structure enable people to cover things up this way.

The rape culture on US college campuses is hardly unique to MSU or MSU Athletics. Are you advocating that we eliminate all colleges and universities?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mahoning posted:

The rape culture on US college campuses is hardly unique to MSU or MSU Athletics. Are you advocating that we eliminate all colleges and universities?

*looks at OP*
well, yes, at least with their sports programs. I bet local cops will have less incentive to help with coverups if it's just some rear end in a top hat kid instead of Superstar Recruit #2398

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mahoning posted:

I mean, uh, if they are basically big rape factories it might be a net gain?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahoning posted:

Yes. Destroy fortresses of rape culture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not like you can't... I dunno, build new ones.

Different people, different organizations, different founding principles. Pretty standard regime change.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Them, dumb and hysterical: women get raped more than they get educated in college! We should get rid of or fundamentally reform college

Me, smart and rational: but I got an excellent computer science education in college. Are you seriously suggesting a few rapes are more important then my future?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I mean if you start with the assumption that this is normal for college then I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that they can be allowed to continue? It might not affect you but it would seem to affect a shitload of other people?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I mean if you start with the assumption that this is normal for college then I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that they can be allowed to continue? It might not affect you but it would seem to affect a shitload of other people?

Yeah, I am the only one of my friends to make it out of college without being raped, and we all went to a tiny Midwestern college with no Athletics to speak of. Institutional reputation is more than enough to motivate these schools to hide assaults and the only way to fix it is to immediately shut down any school that is caught and send its students elsewhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

If you read literally any of my posts you can see I haven't advocated that at all

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mahoning posted:

counterpoint: the institution is bad

e: joke take: MSU alum spotted

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Michigan AG has announced a special prosecutor to investigate MSU. The Michigan State Police (the state-wide cops, not the campus police) will assist in the investigation. https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ate/1071889001/

The Lt. Governor has said he thinks MSU should stop fighting the lawsuits and pay up for a victim compensation fund. This is the same Lt. Gov who was (and still is) fighting lawsuits against the state for the Flint crisis. https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...its/1071856001/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Friendly reminder that Woody Hayes, considered one of the greatest College Football coaches of all time, was a complete psychopath who had meltdowns and assaulted numerous people on national TV yet didn't get shitcanned as a coach until he blatantly sucker punched Charlie Bauman after Bauman intercepted the ball. Also Bobby Knight had a career in commentating after a Hall of Fame College Basketball coaching career that included numerous player assaults and being an all around nutbar.

All college sports folks are bastards.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Remove every college sport except for Women's Basketball

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Friendly reminder that Woody Hayes, considered one of the greatest College Football coaches of all time, was a complete psychopath who had meltdowns and assaulted numerous people on national TV yet didn't get shitcanned as a coach until he blatantly sucker punched Charlie Bauman after Bauman intercepted the ball. Also Bobby Knight had a career in commentating after a Hall of Fame College Basketball coaching career that included numerous player assaults and being an all around nutbar.

All college sports folks are bastards.

this is like, all coaches ever. My highschool track coach stopped talking to me, even though I was a captain, because I had to get leg surgery (I was not a fan of him) and would regularly berate pretty much everyone on the team, and my swim coach, before my time when he had apparently calmed down, would throw chairs and stuff into the lanes if he wasn't happy with how the top group was performing that day (was actually a huge fan of him).

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Just watched the hour long E:60, and drat it was hard to watch. Made me feel sick.

I'm full scorched Earth on this. Draw and quarter the whole administration, stop any and all public funding of the university, disband their athletic program and glass the entirety of East Lansing for good measure.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/958738519605809154

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jesus christ how were there so many

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/958780701381480449

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Larry Nassar appeared Wednesday in a Michigan courtroom for the start of his final sentencing hearing, and a judge said that a total of 265 people have come forward to declare that they were abused by the disgraced former gymnastics doctor.

That number included both the 150-plus victims who offered statements at a different hearing last week, as well as scores of new ones who are expected to speak over the next few days.

At this point I think it's reasonable to think 500+. And 'no one knew.' Yeah right.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

At this point I think it's reasonable to think 500+. And 'no one knew.' Yeah right.

In hellworld, "no one knew" is actually "everyone knew".

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

And only one man in a (frankly) minor sport. I am supremely curious what something like Alabama's football team covers up on a yearly basis.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

And only one man in a (frankly) minor sport. I am supremely curious what something like Alabama's football team covers up on a yearly basis.

An argument could be made that 'Bama could be one of the cleaner programs around if they chose because if some five-star recruit gets arrested, there are ten more waiting to replace him. (They're probably as shady as any other program, but it's a thing to consider)

The real dirt is found in places like Baylor and Michigan St because they can't afford to lose multiple starters without the on-field product taking a huge hit. That means everyone's job from the positions coach to the head coach to the athletic director is at stake, and they're all incentivized to just keep winning at any cost.

It really is amazing that Michigan St has managed to combine the worst facets of the Penn St and Baylor scandals into one gigantic pot of hornet nest stew. One would hope that if anything could spur the NCAA or even the Big Ten to action, it'd be this. nothing will be done, we live in hell now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

In hellworld, "no one knew" is actually "everyone knew".

"Bad child! You evil thing, how dare you say something so disgusting! Larry Nassar is a doctor and one of the most respected men in the field! I'm so shocked you would think to make up such lies!" etc

Change the name and you get the standard response many children faced when trying to tell an adult about abuse by someone powerful.

And those who did actually realise what he was didn't care.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Olympics Committee Failed to Act on Nassar’s Alleged Abuse for a Full Year

The U.S. gymnastics team doctor continued to see and allegedly abuse patients, despite reports of possible criminal behavior

The U.S. Olympic Committee didn’t intervene in USA Gymnastics’ handling of sexual-abuse allegations against longtime national-team doctor Larry Nassar in 2015, even after USA Gymnastics’ then-president told two top USOC executives that an internal investigation had uncovered possible criminal behavior by the doctor against Olympic athletes.
The communications—a July 2015 phone call and a September 2015 email described to The Wall Street Journal by people familiar with the matter—shed new light on the Olympic Committee’s knowledge of a scandal that has since engulfed American gymnastics.

The interactions also raise questions about why officials at USOC, which oversees USA Gymnastics and has criticized that organization’s response to the Nassar scandal, didn’t reach out to athletes, law enforcement or Dr. Nassar’s other employers in the year before allegations against him became public in September 2016.

During that yearlong period, a federal investigation into the matter languished, and Dr. Nassar continued to see—and allegedly abuse—patients in Michigan.

cool. great.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:shrug: Boycott the Olympics. They let the Russians back in as well. It's a joke.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/959181972714205184

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Honestly that defense attorney probably legitimately doesn't know whether to poo poo or go blind over this case. Like, where can she even begin attempting to do her job regarding this guy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Order the USAF to bomb the Olympics imo.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Willie Tomg posted:

Honestly that defense attorney probably legitimately doesn't know whether to poo poo or go blind over this case. Like, where can she even begin attempting to do her job regarding this guy?

Since he pled guilty, shouldn't her job be to basically just sit there and say "yes, your honor" a few times?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Order the USAF to bomb the Olympics imo.

Unfortunately the USAF will be too busy ignoring allegations of sexual assault to take on this mission.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/air-force-academy-sexual-assault-former-official-alleges-cover-up/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Order the US Army to bomb the USAF for not bombing the Olympics IMO.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Order the US Army to bomb the USAF for not bombing the Olympics IMO.

Order the Navy to...oh, right.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Order the Girl Guides to bomb every other organisation in history imo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A father of three victims tried to take Nassar out at his sentencing hearing this morning but got restrained by deputies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/959433133069398016