Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Paperclip Maximizer is just Grey Goo, again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, Andreas, if you read this, I see you like Sunshine as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2PiZw

:v:

I don't care, your full rendition will be your own, I just found it hilarious when it popped that that's where I'd heard the song before.

As for my settings, seeing as that discussion's happening, I play modded, but 2x Habs, 2.5x Prims, 3x Crisis.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2018

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Does anyone know if the AI is capable at all of 'reading' planet modifier bonuses? They seem to ignore them completely.
As in; say a planet has +200% mineral production, the ai will still build it full of farms and other poo poo rather than try and focus as many mineral buildings as it can (over time). Same for maluses. "What's that? -50% energy mod, lets build a lot of energy generation on this planet!"

It's so frustrating

I really really want to expand my mod and tweak the bonuses a bit for planet modifiers but if the AI ignores them it just makes the player more powerful and throws balance out of the window.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Wiz, any chance that 2.0 can include a fix so that random ship-class names aren't reused if the namelist has any alternatives?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Isn't this the same poo poo that Paradox had removed earlier?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1253614450&searchtext=

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

Isn't this the same poo poo that Paradox had removed earlier?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1253614450&searchtext=

quote:

Full replacement of all non-european human portraits as well as an edited name list to include only European-esque first and last names
:hitler:

gently caress that shithead.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's even sadder, he combined it with a ground war rework, because muh feelings and UUUUWAAAH BROWN PEOPLE IN SPEHSS. Also his ground war rework specifically pumps the power of Gene Warriors compared to other units, because of course it does.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
His Steam groups sure are...fascist.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

StealthArcher posted:

It's even sadder, he combined it with a ground war rework, because muh feelings and UUUUWAAAH BROWN PEOPLE IN SPEHSS. Also his ground war rework specifically pumps the power of Gene Warriors compared to other units, because of course it does.

lmao, they're already the best unit in the game. Psi warriors are prolly the only ones that might stop them with demoralizing, or maybe titanics, but even then, gene warriors already pack the most punch. But nah, need to make it even clearer who the master race is I guess.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Guilliman posted:

Does anyone know if the AI is capable at all of 'reading' planet modifier bonuses? They seem to ignore them completely.
As in; say a planet has +200% mineral production, the ai will still build it full of farms and other poo poo rather than try and focus as many mineral buildings as it can (over time). Same for maluses. "What's that? -50% energy mod, lets build a lot of energy generation on this planet!"

It's so frustrating

I really really want to expand my mod and tweak the bonuses a bit for planet modifiers but if the AI ignores them it just makes the player more powerful and throws balance out of the window.

Why not just make a planet like that have all-mineral deposits? There's no point to having other deposits on it anyway.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/956924953617715200

So these Space Starfish really hate humans of all kinds, huh? I'm guessing they're taking off from the evil ones from the Utopia stream...

Hopefully that'll shut up all those smug Commonwealth players, all 'Thats what you get for not purging the Xenos, UNE!' :agesilaus:

I might try and create a unified UNE/Commonwealth successor state as a custom empire, though - perhaps the refugees from both joining forces.

Don't know what civics to choose for them, though - I guess the UNE's Xenophilia and Commonwealth Xenophobia could cancel one another out. So...militarist egalitarians?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I can't help but think that a humanity that's just seen both its homeworlds blown up by starfish would tend towards xenophobia, no matter its previous inclinations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Guess I am a bit late but that trailer was exellent. For the first time I actually want to play the United Nations of Earth in Stellaris. Will be my first Apocalypse game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/956924953617715200

So these Space Starfish really hate humans of all kinds, huh? I'm guessing they're taking off from the evil ones from the Utopia stream...

Hopefully that'll shut up all those smug Commonwealth players, all 'Thats what you get for not purging the Xenos, UNE!' :agesilaus:

I might try and create a unified UNE/Commonwealth successor state as a custom empire, though - perhaps the refugees from both joining forces.

Don't know what civics to choose for them, though - I guess the UNE's Xenophilia and Commonwealth Xenophobia could cancel one another out. So...militarist egalitarians?

play your civics right and they'd end up an Assembly of Clans or Citizen Republic.

I'd say fanatic militarist for sure.

Aethernet posted:

I can't help but think that a humanity that's just seen both its homeworlds blown up by starfish would tend towards xenophobia, no matter its previous inclinations.

yeah but this discounts the obvious stalwart snailens who came to Earth's aid

every game I've had that contained both earth and these guys they became allies. Every single one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Having a hard time playing 1.9 with all the border gore compared to some of these other screenshots, my god. Took off two weeks once Apocalypse comes out :smuggo:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

play your civics right and they'd end up an Assembly of Clans or Citizen Republic.

I'd say fanatic militarist for sure.

yeah but this discounts the obvious stalwart snailens who came to Earth's aid

every game I've had that contained both earth and these guys they became allies. Every single one.

Hey now come on, I made this perfect representation all the way back at launch (mind you it's obviously been given touches as the game changed :v:)

I'm joking obvs, they're good snails, all of them.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

Paperclip Maximizer is just Grey Goo, again

The sardonic irony of being conquered and converted to paper clips is key.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Once again, Snailiens are the absolute best.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GunnerJ posted:

Once again, Snailiens are the absolute best.

No, plant robots are best.

Also, Machine 3 name list owns. I just clicked randomise for my planet name, and got "Conventional Origin" for home world, and "Creation Hub" for the star.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Which robot portrait is chewing on a stalk of wheat like an adorable hayseed bumpkin? :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Someone get on the phone to the fishtank robots modder. They have another robot to modify!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I wish pre-ordering the expansion let us opt-in the beta. :sigh:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm having the most fun in my current game. I'm playing as Rogue Servitors and spawned with the Sol system nearby, with the Earth Caretakers rogue servitors there. Early allies, of course. A little later I find the Commonwealth of Man right next to the Earth Caretakers, so I guess they didn't feel like being pampered and hosed off when they could, before the AI took over Earth. Then down south of all of that is a Determined Exterminator empire with the same portrait as the Earth Caretakers. Must've been a failed early experiment that went rogue and escaped Earth before being taken out. It's such a fun story in my mind.

I'm nearing 150 years in, got some machine worlds for the first time and I'm just about to finish my first ringworld segment. Also I have a ruined Dyson Sphere and Sentry Array within my borders waiting for repairs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Kinda silly that I had to install a mod to allow my servitors to uplift new honoured guests.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I wish pre-ordering the expansion let us opt-in the beta. :sigh:

You don't actually want to play the beta. Betas are ugly, miserable, broken things. No fun at all.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

You don't actually want to play the beta. Betas are ugly, miserable, broken things. No fun at all.

The beta for Cherryh is just a video of Wiz saying, "I HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU," while rubbing his hands together.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And then a Desync happens.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
To counter the salty comments, I like the paradox dev cycle.

As someone who has been playing this poo poo since eu2, paradox games are usually very ambitious, it is for this reason that we should give paradox some slack.

These systems an mechanics working in a randomized environment with many different intersecting variables is a tough project to get assembled well or quickly in the first go.

Eu4 base game was pretty empty on content, ck2 base was as well.

I do think paradox is alienating their new customers by essentially catering to my demographic an making the base games broken or unplayable after several dlcs have been released. But I gotta say that eu4 now vs v. 1.0 eu4 or ck2 is amazing by comparison.

I hope we get to play a stellaris with dynamic interesting an in some cases strange combat (im talking zuul like races from SOTS) along with space corporations that derive their income an resources primarily from interstellar trade or research an tech that requires the possession of specific territory.

Still hoping ships get a redo with culture series 'mind' vessels, vs moyrah style farscape living ships vs some variation of ships piloted by psychers.

I would love to see a late late game where you just play as an introverted fallen empire that seeds life on various worlds an just watches or intervenes as they choose.

An maybe those features will never be realized but based on how the devs have been focusing this next dlc leaves me very optimistic.

The incrementalist strategy that paradox has been going with has a good track record with me.

Currently i'm on something like 200 hours with stellaris so ive gotten my moneys worth.

When this dlc hits I will kiss my loved ones goodbye for several days an boot up a game hoping the bugs wont be too bad.

Sorry for the wall of dumb opinions

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 27, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

To counter the salty comments

I think there's a lot more gentle ribbing than genuine salt in this thread.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

I think there's a lot more gentle ribbing than genuine salt in this thread.

Yeah, for a moment I thought he was posting in the wrong thread, because what??

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One thing that struck me playing as rogue servitors was that you can only change your biotrophies' breeding rights once every 10 years. Mechanically it was fine and added a new obstacle wrt planning and stuff, but thematically I should be able to control it at will. Minor thing though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I can understand the reaction that people have to Paradox games, I saw the price tag for all of the CK2 DLC during the last steam sale and did a double take. But uh I'm not sure how else it could work, if you want continued development and support for a game you kind of have to pay for it somehow.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I can understand the reaction that people have to Paradox games, I saw the price tag for all of the CK2 DLC during the last steam sale and did a double take. But uh I'm not sure how else it could work, if you want continued development and support for a game you kind of have to pay for it somehow.

It helps if you remind yourself you don't have to buy everything right away. Just buy the base game and if it is fun, start planning which DLC you want to try next, then slowly collect them over the following months.

Case in point: After buying Stellaris, it became clear to me pretty drat fast that I really, really liked it, so I just bought most of the DLC on day 1 after that. (Except for Plantoids, as machine-lover and plant-eater, I waited until that one went on sale)

In contrast, I have maybe 2-3 DLC for EUIV, but since I'm not playing it that much, I don't mind that there are literally a dozen more DLC out there. And as long as Paradox isn't sending armed goons to my house to force me to buy EUIV-DLC at gun point, I am perfectly fine with this situation. :smugbird:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Lifehack for EU4, play MP with goons and you don't need any dlc at all.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Personally, I'm a big fan of Paradox's model. It'd be one thing if the base game wasn't really a game, but that's never really been the case, or at least not in this generation. I played two whole campaigns of CK2 before the first DLC released. I buy a game, and if I like it, I do the DLC, and if I like it, I do the next DLC and so on and so on.

----the caveat being I always have gotten on the ground floor, though. I randomly blew 100 bucks on EU4 several months back because I felt like playing it for a change, and I can't imagine normal people with vices and hobbies and social lives doing that too often.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
To counter the lack of salt in this thread, I would just like to say the space plague event is loving bullshit, especially given that it breaks badly on worlds with bio-trophies (also, why the gently caress are my robot caretakers coming down sick?).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GotLag posted:

To counter the lack of salt in this thread, I would just like to say the space plague event is loving bullshit, especially given that it breaks badly on worlds with bio-trophies (also, why the gently caress are my robot caretakers coming down sick?).
Emotional devastation at the degree of suffering they see in their charges, especially since it is neither suffering that is routine (age, a bumped toe, bad gas from the Friday fiesta) nor amenable to remedy. A caretaker might be able to accept - in time - that a meteor impact on the dome was beyond its control, that it must reconcile itself to itself... but to see the beloved ones die, in pain, before them, immune to help, that is far worse!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Paradox just has to make a "Catch-up Bundle". Like base game + all DLC that's 1 year old for X price. For EU4 say everything but MoH, Russia, and CoC for $60. Could even exclude music/unit packs.

For Stellaris not sure there's really enough DLC out yet to warrant that, but ONE DAY!

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's sorta my go-to race. Militarist, egalitarian, with that Citizen Service thing. Then I do utopian living standards for everyone that's a full citizen. I like the idea of conquering people to give them a better life; it's really for their own good!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradox games are a lot of things but I've never found them "expensive". You look at something like Distant worlds where for years it never went on sale, the base game was like $70 and then it had a bunch of expansions which were expensive as well. Paradox games are always quite reasonably priced out of the gate, and inevitably go on sale later. I'm a pretty "frugal" person but never felt a paradox purchase was too much money. I mean a lot of that is of course psychology, I'll buy 5 DLC's at $20 each over the course of a couple years without a thought, but the exact same content packed into a $100 expansion would seem ridiculous.

But there is of course a difference other than sticker shock. The paradox model keep refreshing the game over time. Every time a major DLC comes out you dust off the game and get a bunch more hours of enjoyment out of it, and just when you start to get bored a new DLC is announced. If all that same content was packed into a single much more expensive expansion released only once every couple years I think most people would't get as many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nessus posted:

Emotional devastation at the degree of suffering they see in their charges, especially since it is neither suffering that is routine (age, a bumped toe, bad gas from the Friday fiesta) nor amenable to remedy. A caretaker might be able to accept - in time - that a meteor impact on the dome was beyond its control, that it must reconcile itself to itself... but to see the beloved ones die, in pain, before them, immune to help, that is far worse!

Okay I'll pay that. But it still doesn't address the issue that bio-trophies won't let you move them to the clinic.

• Locked thread