Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

"jeice is the little green one" jesus god pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
19 and 20 are pretty good, but they're bit players and their purpose is getting thoroughly owned to the point of kicking off the Real Arc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hoobajoo posted:

I think he likes the IDEA of Tien, or thinks Tien could be really cool if the writers didn't hate him. Which isn't too unreasonable, he has a good character design and a couple cool techniques. He just needs a personality that's more than nothing.

Tien is the one Dragon Ball OG character that should been Launch'd. Dude had nothing to do or really add to show after the Crane School stuff stopped being a thing. Piccolo kind of took his position as Large, Serious, Gruff, Sorta Friend and had an actual arc and things to do in DBZ. Tien was never cool except when he was letting his alien heritage show, which happened that one time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think the alien thing was real. It was mentioned once in a Daizenshuu and Toriyama's never said anything else about it, and the one time he was directly asked about Tien's third eye he said it was a wisdom thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think the alien thing was real. It was mentioned once in a Daizenshuu and Toriyama's never said anything else about it, and the one time he was directly asked about Tien's third eye he said it was a wisdom thing.

It's supported by a couple of Daizenshuu volumes and also by descriptive text in some of the video games. Tien is apparently a descendant of an alien species called the Three Eyed People, but is still considered an Earthling, just not entirely human. His ability to regrow lost limbs is another trait inherited from the Three Eyed People. Toriyama makes a point that people with three eyes are seen as god-like or wise or capable of foresight, but never contradicts the notion that Tien is a human with some alien biology. Also, Dragon Ball is heavily based on Journey to the West, so really, what it comes down to is that Toriyama wanted a three-eyed character because one existed in JttW.

:goonsay:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He never outright contradicts it sure but it wouldn't be the first time the Daizenshuu was either wrong or just making stuff up, and don't get me started on the games

It's just such a weird pointless background detail that doesn't line up with anything. Why does he have to be part alien to be a dude with a third eye in a world where there's a karate werewolf and multiple noseless people? It doesn't add anything to the character.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Toriyama really likes space aliens. :shrug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

my cat is norris posted:

Toriyama really likes space aliens. :shrug:

Except we've never seen Toriyama say anything about it so who knows if he even came up with that

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Err just to be clear, I wasn't arguing anything you said in your previous post, I just brought up his love of aliens as reason enough that the whole thing about Tien might be true. Toriyama just likes aliens and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he contributed that quality to Tien's background (and then forgot about it later or changed his mind because that's what he does :haw:).

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah, that's fair!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
My anime with talking a cat as an elected official doesn't explain the 3 eyed man consistently.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
excuse me sir he is a dog

also maybe not an elected official it's not clear if the Dragon World is a constitutional monarchy

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/King_Furry

I love Dragon Ball. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I liked DBZ until I grew up multiple times.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

I liked DBZ until I grew up multiple times.

Holy poo poo, does it not show at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked DBZ and then I grew up

and I liked it more

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Andrast posted:

and I liked it more

Pretty much.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

who the gently caress likes Gero

I like Gero due to how absurd all his creations are in retrospect. Dude hated Goku so much that he created several beings stronger than an intergalactic tyrant. By Super, Android 17 is as strong as Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

He built all this stuff in a cave in the middle of nowhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhonne posted:

I like Gero due to how absurd all his creations are in retrospect. Dude hated Goku so much that he created several beings stronger than an intergalactic tyrant. By Super, Android 17 is as strong as Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

He built all this stuff in a cave in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtntTvuv8Aw

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Tien is the one Dragon Ball OG character that should been Launch'd. Dude had nothing to do or really add to show after the Crane School stuff stopped being a thing. Piccolo kind of took his position as Large, Serious, Gruff, Sorta Friend and had an actual arc and things to do in DBZ. Tien was never cool except when he was letting his alien heritage show, which happened that one time.

That's a good point, I never realized that Tien and Piccolo are basically the same character. He should have been Yamcha'd where he's around but not a fighter anymore. You could even have a little arc where Tien was a pretty bad dude when he was a martial artist, and becomes a pacifist when he has his face turn since he associates martial arts with violence or something.

Andrast posted:

and I liked it more

DB is like pro-wrestling, where you love it as a kid, then you start hating it because it's stupid, but then you love it again because it's stupid.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think tien as the master of his own school is a fine place for him, and fits his character.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Tien's Cell fight and him being the only person to survive Buu killing everyone on earth justify his existence IMHO.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't abide by this weird Tien Was Always Bad thing going on. He had potential with his techniques, he WAS the most relevant human when Z started and even got a cool moment during the Cell Saga, and he could pull out some weird poo poo but Toriyama clearly gave up on him and so did Japan, so all he gets is being outshined by ROSHI, THE OLD MAN RAPIST and the dumbest elimination in the ToP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

I can't abide by this weird Tien Was Always Bad thing going on. He had potential with his techniques, he WAS the most relevant human when Z started and even got a cool moment during the Cell Saga, and he could pull out some weird poo poo but Toriyama clearly gave up on him and so did Japan, so all he gets is being outshined by ROSHI, THE OLD MAN RAPIST and the dumbest elimination in the ToP.

He was fine in the tournament he premiered in, but like after that he became pointless and added nothing to the King Piccolo arc which was largely about Goku losing friends and allies and being forced to face a foe that didn't want to beat him but straight up destroy everything he cared about And Also Tien Is There I Guess. Tien should have disappeared after the tournament but he stuck around for no real reason then was kind of out classed by Piccolo Jr. as a character in everyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

He was fine in the tournament he premiered in, but like after that he became pointless and added nothing to the King Piccolo arc which was largely about Goku losing friends and allies and being forced to face a foe that didn't want to beat him but straight up destroy everything he cared about And Also Tien Is There I Guess. Tien should have disappeared after the tournament but he stuck around for no real reason then was kind of out classed by Piccolo Jr. as a character in everyway.

You could say the same of all the Krillins. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

You could say the same of all the Krillins. :colbert:

Nah Krillin actually does stuff and Is Around for most of the plot. Dude is half the reason Perfect Cell happened because he wouldn't blow up 18, he went to namek with Gokhan and Bluma and help wrangle the dragon balls together, Stalled for time against the Ginyu force AND Freeza. Went with the gang to Babidi's ship, put up a better fight against SSB goku than any other of the Earthlings. And that's not counting him being Goku's best friend/adopted brother throughout Dragon ball.

Tien was never anything.

If anything, Yamcha, goku's dumb but pretty friend that use to be very keen on proving he was worth something, got robbed more than Tien ever did. Tien should have hosed off after King Piccolo and the 'Z Fighters' should have been Goku, Piccolo, Krillin (who gave Piccolo one of his best fights in the franchise!) Yamcha and Yajirobe as the coward rear end in a top hat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nah Krillin actually does stuff and Is Around for most of the plot. Dude is half the reason Perfect Cell happened because he wouldn't blow up 18, he went to namek with Gokhan and Bluma and help wrangle the dragon balls together, Stalled for time against the Ginyu force AND Freeza. Went with the gang to Babidi's ship, put up a better fight against SSB goku than any other of the Earthlings. And that's not counting him being Goku's best friend/adopted brother throughout Dragon ball.

Tien was never anything.

If anything, Yamcha, goku's dumb but pretty friend that use to be very keen on proving he was worth something, got robbed more than Tien ever did. Tien should have hosed off after King Piccolo and the 'Z Fighters' should have been Goku, Piccolo, Krillin (who gave Piccolo one of his best fights in the franchise!) Yamcha and Yajirobe as the coward rear end in a top hat.

Krillin has a decent fight againt Piccolo (that he loses). Afterwards, he survived the Vegeta fight by virtue of not really doing poo poo, which is also the reason why he's in Namek, where he also doesn't do poo poo other than being exploded. He gets a sparring match against Goku where he's smarter but he'd get destroyed if it was real (his wife went on to save him), and he was the first elimination in the ToP.

That's my point, Tien isn't a bad character per se, he's bad because Toriyama doesn't wanna give him poo poo. If you had just Gohan and anyone else replacing Krillin in his big spots, it wouldn't matter. He's poo poo but that's because he's written to be poo poo, it's not like his concept is unsalvageable - and Super just kinda giving up on him when RAPIST MASTER ROSHI gets to shine just reinforces my point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Looking back it was a idea to reveal that Master Roshi's first name is "Rapist"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did we mention that Pat streamed Monster Hunter for 8 hours straight?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Meanwhile, on the latest episode of Dragon Ball Super:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tien is fine

he's just the least interesting one on the list, barring maybe Gohan

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

It was a great episode

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rhonne posted:

That's honestly what I used to think Pat's dad looked like.

Just this giant barrel-chested, giant-moustached French-Canadian dude who somehow sired Dexter from Dexter's Lab, except without the smarts.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

God, this Bruce/Joker hype in Batman is the greatest thing that I thought only Lego Batman would give me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

God, this Bruce/Joker hype in Batman is the greatest thing that I thought only Lego Batman would give me

Yeah, I'm getting hype with them too the whole time. I'm lost on what they're talking about with Harley running DC right now though, because I don't follow comics.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

RareAcumen posted:

I don't follow comics.

That's okay, neither do the Best Friends. :v:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think they just mean she’s popular. Right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monathin posted:

That's okay, neither do the Best Friends. :v:

That's fine. The only thing that I notice is when something gets a big enough shitstorm to be noticeable. Like, Jewish power-fantasy, Captain America being a nazi for some reason. (That one I caught all the wikipedia synopsis on) Or, an impossible scenario, a woman being Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Aaron’s entire run (including Jane as Thor) has been totally amazing, but Marvel needs to stop with the “inherit the mantle” poo poo. That works with Captain America, it doesn’t work with Thor - that is just the dude’s first name. And it’s still a common name!

It’s like a girl stepping forth and saying “I assume the mantle of Frank.”

Stop trying to WCW gimmicks into pre-existing characters, it’s insulting to fans of both old and new characters and never works.