Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Stand by for a massive gray market, consisting largely of packaged goods from Massachusetts weed-shops.

probably, but I personally plan on just straight up giving a shitload of it away. I barely smoke anymore, at least compared to decades past, but I remember how to grow good poo poo, and it seems like a fun little project. People seem to have no problem pulling a gram for watt out of the various pre-fab LED cabinets, so just doing what's allowed under law without pushing it at all, that's like 10 ounces every 6 weeks. I'll smoke 1% of that, but there seems to be little reason to not just grow that and give the rest away. I personally am not going to gently caress around with skirting the retail restrictions through "barter", because the amount of money involved is super not worth the risk to me, even figuring current day east coast prices (which seem to be headed slowly towards convergence with the left coast anyway).

I can't imagine I'm the only person who feels this way. There are a lot of goddamn priviledged ex-hippies around here, it's kind of the big blooming and festering demographic shift that many of the natives are (rightfully) concerned about.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Take a look at what DCMJ does down in DC with donated excess weed. They'll set up booths downtown and just give away joints to anyone showing a 21+ ID. DC limit is six mature plants per person (iirc you can have multiple sixes per house if you have multiple adults) and 2oz limit for carrying in public. So if you roll smallish joints you can pretty much stand on a street corner with ~200 pins per staffer, give them away then nip back to a nearby storehouse for your next two ounces and keep handing out freebies.

DCMJ has also done a number of seed and cutting giveaways to get more folks home-grown. Usually based in a local bar with lines running for blocks.

Basically, if you're not allowed to sell but are allowed to grow copious amounts of cannabis, you can have a lot of fun with that.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
By the way, is anyone tracking on this "light cannabis" trend in Europe? Apparently in Switzerland, Italy, and iirc Czechia, you can go to a tobacconist and buy a pack of hemp cigarettes that have CBD and other cannabinoids, just not more than x% THC.

https://www.dopemagazine.com/high-cbd-cannabis-italy/

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 27, 2018

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Is investing in weed farms in Australia a good idea right now?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

By the way, is anyone tracking on this "light cannabis" trend in Europe? Apparently in Switzerland, Italy, and iirc Czechia, you can go to a tobacconist and buy a pack of hemp cigarettes that have CBD and other cannabinoids, just not more than x% THC.

Are you telling me they got scientists making schwaggy weed in a lab?? That's hosed up

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

the black husserl posted:

Are you telling me they got scientists making schwaggy weed in a lab?? That's hosed up

It's not schwag it just has cbd instead of thc.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I recently tried some capsules that were 10mg CBD/5mg THC and I prefer that experience to straight THC. It's just a very nice, light buzz that doesn't get in your way if you have anything you want to do.

Pity they cost $35 for 10 doses compared to the 10mg THC capsules which are a mere $15.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

As someone happily doing dry January, can confirm
:same:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Republicans posted:

I recently tried some capsules that were 10mg CBD/5mg THC and I prefer that experience to straight THC. It's just a very nice, light buzz that doesn't get in your way if you have anything you want to do.

Pity they cost $35 for 10 doses compared to the 10mg THC capsules which are a mere $15.

I’m obsessed with CBD now. I’ve been drinking CBD infused coffee and it’s delightful. I don’t really understand how it works so well with caffeine but it does. I used to be a fan of “micro dosing” with 5mg of THC with my coffee, but I find the CBD to be a better experience all around.

It is more expensive, which kinda sucks, but after about a month I feel really great.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

I’m obsessed with CBD now. I’ve been drinking CBD infused coffee and it’s delightful. I don’t really understand how it works so well with caffeine but it does. I used to be a fan of “micro dosing” with 5mg of THC with my coffee, but I find the CBD to be a better experience all around.

It is more expensive, which kinda sucks, but after about a month I feel really great.

Go on r/cbdinfo for places to buy. Most vendors sell isolate for $30/g.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I for one would love to see more "light, easy buzz for filthy casuals" joints because all I really wanna do is smoke it all the way down in one go with my girl and not feel like we just signed up for a four hour Willy Wonka boat ride.

At least Washington has pretty clear labeling requirements so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I guess the overabundance of >20% thc prerolls is a result of errday weedheads deciding what the market wants.

snorch fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 30, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Virginia House panel votes 7-1 against decriminalizing weed, so VA likely a no-go for this year.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/01/26/virginia-marijuana-legalization-panel/97605/

In happier news, on Thursday the NJ Legislature will introduce their new legalization measure on Thursday:

http://www.snjtoday.com/story/37358689/pot-bill-passage-by-june-possible-in-garden-state

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2018

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

snorch posted:

I for one would love to see more "light, easy buzz for filthy casuals" joints because all I really wanna do is smoke it all the way down in one go with my girl and not feel like we just signed up for a four hour Willy Wonka boat ride.

At least Washington has pretty clear labeling requirements so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I guess the overabundance of >20% thc prerolls is a result of errday weedheads deciding what the market wants.

Get a vape. I just take a couple hits in the evening to chill and one chamber full lasts me 2-3 days. Ends up being significantly cheaper than smoking joints.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Dmitri-9 posted:

Go on r/cbdinfo for places to buy. Most vendors sell isolate for $30/g.

Thanks for this

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Virginia House panel votes 7-1 against decriminalizing weed, so VA likely a no-go for this year.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/01/26/virginia-marijuana-legalization-panel/97605/

In happier news, on Thursday the NJ Legislature will introduce their new legalization measure on Thursday:

http://www.snjtoday.com/story/37358689/pot-bill-passage-by-june-possible-in-garden-state

Poll came at today saying that legalizing it fully only polls at 42%

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Get a vape. I just take a couple hits in the evening to chill and one chamber full lasts me 2-3 days. Ends up being significantly cheaper than smoking joints.

I own two vapes and a half dozen pipes so really I'm good. Mostly I'm trying to speak for a few of my friends who just want to blaze a doob once every couple weeks or so, or who prefer the ritual of smoking a joint. Also I have some nostalgia for that mellow eurospliff high.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
This is a pretty big move:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...m_medium=social

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just a warning to people buying "CBD" out of smoke shops in countries/states where cannabis is illegal, it's not CBD, it's Hemp oil and there's a big difference. Hemp is not Cannabis.

https://honestmarijuana.com/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil/?age-verified=fa70bf66ee

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just a warning to people buying "CBD" out of smoke shops in countries/states where cannabis is illegal, it's not CBD, it's Hemp oil and there's a big difference. Hemp is not Cannabis.

https://honestmarijuana.com/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil/?age-verified=fa70bf66ee
The lack of regulation means it's pretty hard to be sure of what you're getting anywhere - I'd be especially suspicious of something like CBD where it's a more subtle intended effect.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Lawman 0 posted:

Poll came at today saying that legalizing it fully only polls at 42%

I thought you were referring to VA for a second, but I googled it and per the most recent poll it is indeed only 42% supporting full legal in NJ: http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/01/what_does_nj_say_to_legal_recreational_marijuana_a.html

That said, the incoming governor seems to have made a big deal about it, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The lack of regulation means it's pretty hard to be sure of what you're getting anywhere - I'd be especially suspicious of something like CBD where it's a more subtle intended effect.

It's not a subtle effect at all if you are dealing with legit medical issues. I have Crohn's disease and without real cannabis derived CBD I'd be on some sort of lovely medication like Humira and all the side effects that go with it. It has been a godsend for me.

A big problem with people making and selling Hemp oil and labeling it as CBD oil, is that people with legit medical issues are buying the stuff and getting no help whatsoever from it. They then claim it doesn't work, giving up on CBD and stopping other people from trying something that can legitimately change their life.

It's a shame that it's happening, but the only way right now is to get the word out about what's going on.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Utah was the first state to semi-legalize MMJ, allowing only low-THC CBD remedies. For the last three years the legislature has tried to expand to full MMJ but stalled out, so folks have nearly gathered enough signatures to get full MMJ on the November ballot:

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/02/01/utah-medical-marijuana-legalization-bill/98040/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Has anyone seen any rebuttals to the "marijuana DUI deaths are way up in Colorado and Washington"? I'm man enough to admit that's a negative if it's literally true, but the vague way it's phrased really makes me wonder: are actual *total* traffic deaths up, or are they just finding more linkages to weed than they used to since they're actually checking more?

The latter could be attributed to more frequent or effective checking for traces of cannabis in the system of drivers involved in fatal crashes. If 2012 Colorado had X traffic fatalities and 2016 Colorado has X+10% fatalities, that'd certainly be an issue of concern, but since I don't generally see it phrased as a total increase in deaths it makes me suspicious.

Going from memory so I don't have the exact stats here, but when the antis have shrieked about "X% increase in kids going to the emergency room for pot exposure" or "Y% increase in calls to the poison control line for kids consuming", whenever they give a percent it's because the raw number doesn't sound sexy, and when they use a raw number it's because the percent doesn't sound sexy. Like if Bad Event A has risen from 26,000 to 27,1000, they'll holler "up over 1000 cases annually" instead of saying 4% increase. Likewise, iirc correctly when they were bitching about "doubling of kids admitted to hospitals for consumption" is was like from 12 to 24. And of those 24 cases (I think that was 2015 or so) all but three were just "put the kid in a dark room and let them sleep it off", two required slightly more attention and medication, and there was one case where the kid had a pre-existing condition and the cannabis exposure was actually causing him some trouble. That's also why the calls to poison centers aren't exciting to me; first of all it's likely that a good chunk of the "increase" is parents just being more honest about what's going on since possession is legal, and again the vast majority of poison calls for weed probably just get told "take them to the emergency room if they exhibit X, Y, or Z but otherwise just let them sleep it off."

I just keep reading bits here and there that freely use the word "disaster" to describe legalization in Colorado, but a lot of the complaints seem really short on facts. And/or they'll bring up hilariously overwrought complaints that basically boil down into "more panhandlers and low-skill laborers drifting into town" or "zoning issues", both of which pretty anti-climactic for all the gloom and doom prophesied.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

547 people died in 2015 and 605 people died in 2016 from traffic fatalites in Colorado. I took a quick look at the numbers for the entire US and they also trended up over the same time period.

There are some pretty good statistics for this thing even though they aren't very rigorous because there is no standard procedure for THC testing in traffic fatalities: https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 3, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Has anyone seen any rebuttals to the "marijuana DUI deaths are way up in Colorado and Washington"? I'm man enough to admit that's a negative if it's literally true, but the vague way it's phrased really makes me wonder: are actual *total* traffic deaths up, or are they just finding more linkages to weed than they used to since they're actually checking more?

The latter could be attributed to more frequent or effective checking for traces of cannabis in the system of drivers involved in fatal crashes. If 2012 Colorado had X traffic fatalities and 2016 Colorado has X+10% fatalities, that'd certainly be an issue of concern, but since I don't generally see it phrased as a total increase in deaths it makes me suspicious.

This Denver Post article says total deaths are up:

Exclusive: Traffic fatalities linked to marijuana are up sharply in Colorado. Is legalization to blame? posted:

The 2013-16 period saw a 40 percent increase in the number of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in Colorado, from 627 to 880, according to the NHTSA data. Those who tested positive for alcohol in fatal crashes from 2013 to 2015 — figures for 2016 were not available — grew 17 percent, from 129 to 151.

By contrast, the number of drivers who tested positive for marijuana use jumped 145 percent — from 47 in 2013 to 115 in 2016. During that time, the prevalence of testing drivers for marijuana use did not change appreciably, federal fatal-crash data show.

Keep in mind this time period also saw an enormous boom in population, but it doesn't look great, no.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Traffic deaths have increased but that’s been generally linked to smartphone use while driving.

That said, don’t drive stoned.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How do they determine that the person was actually under the influence of marijuana at the time of the crash?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oregon first at bat

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Another domino falls

https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/960903410953457675

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Of note this just allows doctors to prescribe/recommend CBD Oil; it doesn't allow for any sort of selling etc of actual cannabis

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Of note this just allows doctors to prescribe/recommend CBD Oil; it doesn't allow for any sort of selling etc of actual cannabis

No it has provisions for THC. It is like NY's law that allows for oil but not flower.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dmitri-9 posted:

No it has provisions for THC. It is like NY's law that allows for oil but not flower.

Yeah it's both cbd and thc-a oil, which are of course both non-psychoactive. Nobody tell them how easy it is to change that state of affairs :ssh:

It also allows doctors to prescribe these oils for literally anything. Though the doctor does have to get a license to prescribe it, which is I assume intended to prevent green card mills.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

It's not as bad as it sounds at first; apparently the triple-production includes illegal production too. And as noted in this thread, these attorneys only get kudos for cases they win, so there's a real incentive to go for the low-hanging fruit. That is, to tackle overproduction from the illegal side instead of dealing with the risks of trying to prosecute state-legal businesses.

FWIW, the OR governor claims "lawful Oregon businesses remain stakeholders in this conversation and not targets of law enforcement." So again tackling the illegal market seems the easy point, not out of any kindness or pro-weedness on behalf of the AG, but because it's the most bang for his buck. Plus if you go after purely black market Oregon producers, you can also get help from local law enforcement, which you're not going to get going after a legal storefront in Eugene.

On a purely personal level, I don't particularly care about a black market for US-produced weed, except in that an unregulated market entails a much higher risk of environmental and labor violations. But on a larger political level, putting a whomp on illegal producers in legal states would appear to be an overall win. Raises risks for the black market, thus making it less competitive with the legal market, etc.

So I'm wary but overall optimistic. If nothing else, just the thought of trying to seat an Oregon jury to prosecute a state-legal small business owner, that's a powerful disincentive.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

I’m something of a scientist myself

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I’m something of a scientist myself

idgi is that some sort of Norman Osborne reference?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
In the "comin' at you like a dark horse" category, Minnesota is having a governor race this November, and 5 of 6 candidates from the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (a weird MN local version of the Dems) are in support of legalizing recreational marijuana. Tim Walz is ahead in the DFL polls, and he's on-record as supporting legalization, and opposing Session's interference in state affairs. A couple of the other candidates are strongly pro-weed, but Walz is the leader and he's more mainstream-pro.

While a DFL win for governor isn't guaranteed (current guy is DFL, previous was GOP, guy before that was Jesse Ventura), but DFL-incumbent Governor Dayton is going out with high approval ratings (hit 62% last year), and also the special election to fill Franken's senate seat is being held at the same time, so might drive some turnout.

If Michigan succeeds in legalizing this November, that gives any incoming DFL governor some decent regional impetus for legalizing in MN. There was a more formal poll in 2015 that gave 49% of Minnesotans in favor of legalizing weed. There was also some big long voluntary survey/poll taken at the State Fair back last fall that came up with 50% in favor. Though if you factor in "kind of person who pauses during State Fair to fill out long political questionnaire instead of getting drunk and eating fried Oreos and/or herding toddlers onto a carousel" the survey probably heavily over-counts olds, so 50% under even those conditions is pretty promising.

Also, fwiw, "legalize weed" is actually on DFL's action platform, so they're pretty direct about it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
New Jersey has a couple different legalization bills being kicked around; I'm only following it tangentially and it feels less like they're slow-rolling it and more that they're gamely pitching a bunch of ideas and seeing what sticks: http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/02/thoughts_on_legal_weed_nj_assembly_wants_to_hear_t.html

The NJ Assembly is having a meeting on 5 March to listen to thoughts from the public, so if you're in NJ this may be a good one to attend. And if you're in NJ and want to make sure this goes through, this might be a good time to link up with your local chapter of NORML to see if there are any events planned where you can pitch in to push this across the finish line.

And holy poo poo Michigan, how long does it take you to process goddam signatures? It seems like it's this neverending process, so I checked the recent news and the last word is that the deadline to challenge the signatures has passed, so now the state can start counting and validating signatures. The campaign seems to think they'll pass that checkpoint too, and then apparently the Board of Canvassers has to weigh in. So various rear end-pains in the process.

Speaking of which, guess who's carpet-bagging into Michigan to stir up trouble? Our old buddies at Smart Approaches to Marijuana have dropped $150,000 onto a local opposition group, which is a pretty substantial amount by anti-weed standards, though way less than MPP and other groups have and will drop into MI. Weed is polling well in MI, but again it's a midterm election so voter turnout is going to drive a lot of this, so if you're in MI, again consider contacting the campaign and see if you can help out with GOTV, registering first-time voters, etc.

By the way, in the article SAM brings out their usual refrain The national group does not “want to put people in handcuffs for smoking a joint,” Sabet said.

I really just want to ask Kevin, what has SAM actually done to prevent people being put in handcuffs for smoking a joint? Because it really, really feels like all they do is concern troll every single time anyone tries to change a weed law. I would have 200% more respect for SAM if they could talk up some cases of how they've actually helped formulate progressive policy, or make weed safer in legal states, or refocus police on targeting dealers as opposed to casual users. But really all I ever see from them is just trying to block any progress forward whatsoever.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 12, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SAM is just an anti-marijuana group.
They cant say outright MARIJUANA BAD because thats not an acceptable reason anymore* without the concern troll rider of "your'e kids are DOING THE POT".
Theyre dogwhistling it hard while trying to get more swing voters on their side. They wont even write a single line favorable for marijuana use.

*Thanks to electorally favorable support of marijuana legalization/decrim.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 12, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Yeah, SAM just bugs me because they are admittedly good at targetting the "squishy middle". Serious drug-warriors already know what they believe, pro-weed folks won't listen to them, but with decent skill they target the "well, I don't know, I mean maybe legalization *could* be good but maybe we should take this really slow, and do some studies, and what about the children?

My favorite smug moment was checking Sabet's Twitter on the day after Alaska, Oregon, and DC all voted to legalize, and all he had was "Congrats to Bumfuck Township, Washington for banning cannabis businesses in their town!!! We're winning!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's a new push in the Senate for an amendment to protect states that have legalized recreational.

https://twitter.com/SenBennetCO/status/963519822209409024