Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

beato posted:

That time when Jim Carrey discovered internet cookies and thought he'd stumbled on to the biggest government conspiracy of all time.

You know I used to think I was paranoid but there’s no question my phone is converting conversations into advertisements on facebook and google. It happens to my wife and I regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hanales posted:

You know I used to think I was paranoid but there’s no question my phone is converting conversations into advertisements on facebook and google. It happens to my wife and I regularly.

The one that gets me is how the ads shift -after- I buy something. E.g. ordered new glasses? Now for the next six months enjoy glasses ads to remind you of your purchase.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

hanales posted:

about a month ago i was hanging out with my my brother and he mentioned he thought i needed to buy a new pair of shoes. for the next week it was nothing but shoe ads popping up all over the internet.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Slugnoid posted:

about a month ago i was hanging out with my my brother and he mentioned he thought i needed to buy a new pair of shoes. for the next week it was nothing but shoe ads popping up all over the internet.

whats it like being mark zuckerbergs brother

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just use Tumblr, the app is incompetently programmed to a comical degree, and most of the ads are borderline nonsense.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Amazon is really terrible at it. Every time I buy a thing from them, they'll go so far as to send me an email showing other similar products.

"You were looking at phone cases! Here's one you might like!"

Yeah, and I bought a phone case after looking at them for a while. You know I bought it. I don't need two.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CommonShore posted:

The one that gets me is how the ads shift -after- I buy something. E.g. ordered new glasses? Now for the next six months enjoy glasses ads to remind you of your purchase.

I read last week that Google Ads at least are incorporating a feature so you can stop being marketed at for something you already purchased.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EL BROMANCE posted:

I read last week that Google Ads at least are incorporating a feature so you can stop being marketed at for something you already purchased.

Seems like something the digital ad industry should have invented as like, bullet point feature #2

Right after "show you ad for thing you don't have"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sadly, that's not how evil works.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly, that's not how evil works.

Evil works however it wants. It doesn't follow the rules.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

beato posted:

That time when Jim Carrey discovered internet cookies and thought he'd stumbled on to the biggest government conspiracy of all time.

Carrey went off the deep end and became an anti vaxxer. Crazy is his bread and butter now. Turns out he wasn't acting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Amazon is really terrible at it. Every time I buy a thing from them, they'll go so far as to send me an email showing other similar products.

Yeah, and I bought a phone case after looking at them for a while. You know I bought it. I don't need two.

No, no look at these phone cases. And did you know people who bought phone cases also bought a phone? Have a look at some of these phones.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

RoboRodent posted:

Reminds me of a few days ago I bought a 5 kg bag of cat food. 2 days later I got an email from the site I bought it on

"A while ago you bought food from us. We hope you're happy with the product and thought we'd ask if it's not time to order some more?"

I responded "I did indeed order cat food from you but thankfully my 2 kg cat has not consumed 5kg worth of cat food in 2 days"

They actually responded with "Haha good thing too! have a nice day"

Katt has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Katt posted:

Carrey went off the deep end and became an anti vaxxer. Crazy is his bread and butter now. Turns out he wasn't acting.

He's been talking out of his rear end since the beginning of his career.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I get this joke.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

:golfclap:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EL BROMANCE posted:

Brilliant. I can give them more data about me.

I'll just keep ignoring the ads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I block them too. I just need something to block the 'Hey, we se you're blocking our ads' poo poo. I kinda preferred it when adblocking was just something nerds did and wasn't big enough to bother countering.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can block anti-adblock stuff with another script. It works pretty well.

It's actually weird using someone else's computer and seeing ads, I've been blocking them basically since ad blockers became a thing. I also don't watch much television either, so it's always surprising how long and annoying ads are for the majority of people.

(Before anyone asks, yes, I do hate the people who make things and I would download a car.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Apparently Sean Hannity got suspended for a short while and he's throwing a :freep: tantrum about it

https://twitter.com/SeanHannity__/status/957349440032919552

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mak0rz posted:

Apparently Sean Hannity got suspended for a short while and he's throwing a :freep: tantrum about it

I mean, he's still probated, he's just avoiding it with an alt.

Twitter has a lot to learn from Something Awful about how to deal with trolls. :smaug:

Edit: LOL

https://twitter.com/Sean_Hannity__/status/957379088594870273

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mak0rz posted:

Do I need want to know what #rosap means?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, he's still probated, he's just avoiding it with an alt.

Twitter has a lot to learn from Something Awful about how to deal with trolls. :smaug:

Edit: LOL

https://twitter.com/Sean_Hannity__/status/957379088594870273

We're finally getting the recognition we deserve!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to assume the worst and say Rosa Parks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What is it with journalists debasing themselves to defend Trump?

https://twitter.com/richardmarx/status/956892779262640128

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Freaquency posted:

Do I need want to know what #rosap means?

I checked the hashtag, and I think it refers to a recently released song by one Alexander King. It means “Raised On Skynyrd And Pac”, and I imagine it’s one of those “redneck rap” gimmick things; no idea why Hannity would be into that but I know I’m not.

new friend from school has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Jan 28, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone has* to fill the void that FAROOQ/JOHNSON COCKSLAP left.

*They really don't but here we are.

Yeah, sorry, that actually is him. I haven't been paying enough attention to individual shitheads recently, they all kind of blur together after a while :geno:

Or was him, now, I guess.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Relatedly do feel free to report suspected reregs for us to check out in case we (I) are (am) not on the ball.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, sorry, that actually is him. I haven't been paying enough attention to individual shitheads recently, they all kind of blur together after a while :geno:

It's ok, you're still my hero.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:buddy:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

ITs ok, i still like you.

I just like you less.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oldpainless posted:

I just like you less.

...nope, too easy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I just like you less.

More like old...lessless?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

...nope, too easy.

How's your mom doing, by the way?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

More like old...lessless?

oldlikeless

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just said that was too easy, pay attention.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

How's your mom doing, by the way?
:discourse:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just said that was too easy, pay attention.

So? You gotta start with the low-hanging fruit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

T-man posted:

(Before anyone asks, yes, I do hate the people who make things and I would download a car.)

I surfed the internet without an ad blocker for like 15 years because the first generation ones broke so much stuff.

The internet earned a ton of money on my browsing and if the internet didn't invest that money well then it's not my fault. I have yet to find a website where I had to turn off the blocker as opposed to just going back to google and opening search result 2 for the same content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You gotta start with the low-hanging fruit.

How is your mom, by the way?