Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Two buck Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I once made risotto with red wine (merlot?) because it was all I had in the house and I wasn't going out. It was purple, but tasty.

I like bold hearty wines for things like stew, and brighter wines for things like sauces, but really anything you'd drink is going to work out OK probably.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Last night i acquired some filet mignon randomly. It's not a cut i ever really eat, nor a cut i want to gently caress up. I'm seeing some good looking recipes for pan seared and oven finished, and some sous vide recipes, but if anyone has a favorite, I'd like to take a look at them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I don't drink wine

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Last night i acquired some filet mignon randomly. It's not a cut i ever really eat, nor a cut i want to gently caress up. I'm seeing some good looking recipes for pan seared and oven finished, and some sous vide recipes, but if anyone has a favorite, I'd like to take a look at them.

I've taken to SV them if you have that option it's a good way to not gently caress them up. I used to make them without SV. Anywho, my dad used to manage a steak house and this is how I make em.

Deep metal/glass pan. LOTS of garlic salt top and bottom. depending on the size of the pan and cuts ( 9x13) 2 sticks of butter cut up and placed around the pan. Bake @400 for 5min to melt butter. Broil top shelf and flip based on desired donenes. 5 min each side usually gets you med rare for 8oz cuts. If you are SV'ing them just throw it all in a bag. Add everything from the bag to your dish then broil them just to get the crust.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't drink wine

Get an ok box

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sterster posted:

I've taken to SV them if you have that option it's a good way to not gently caress them up. I used to make them without SV. Anywho, my dad used to manage a steak house and this is how I make em.

Deep metal/glass pan. LOTS of garlic salt top and bottom. depending on the size of the pan and cuts ( 9x13) 2 sticks of butter cut up and placed around the pan. Bake @400 for 5min to melt butter. Broil top shelf and flip based on desired donenes. 5 min each side usually gets you med rare for 8oz cuts. If you are SV'ing them just throw it all in a bag. Add everything from the bag to your dish then broil them just to get the crust.

Sweet, this sounds like it should be fine. My lovely apartment doesn't have a vent hood, nor easy ventilation in the kitchen area, so smoke from searing is always a concern for me. Typically, I use a torch for SV, but I've never finished in the broiler, and this seems like a good chance to try. If I go this route, should I SV to the normal temperature, or go slightly lower?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Alternately a box wine that comes in a six-pack (or four-pack or whatever). So the unused portion doesn't go south as rapidly.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dont remember the brand offhand but the black tetra pack wine is pretty okay for the price. I also really like Trader Joe's box wine for cooking.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In the supermarkets here you can buy 250ml mini bottles of red wine for a pittance. I usually grab merlot because it’s cheap, but not the cheapest :shrug:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Sweet, this sounds like it should be fine. My lovely apartment doesn't have a vent hood, nor easy ventilation in the kitchen area, so smoke from searing is always a concern for me. Typically, I use a torch for SV, but I've never finished in the broiler, and this seems like a good chance to try. If I go this route, should I SV to the normal temperature, or go slightly lower?

You can do 1-2 hours sv @131 for Med rare centers then broil to your liking for the outside. Like I said I heavily season with garlic salt all over then stick(s) of butter all in the bag. Then into broil pan top rack with all the liquid from bag. Broil, flip, broil. Then server and I usually spoon the sauce in the pan over steak with mash & broccoli. Optionally you can re-season when going into broil pan. Doing them SV it's going to be hard to gently caress em up. The cut isn't really meaty in taste so it's going to be more garlic & butter flavored then normal steaks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am recreating a really good but basic spicy black bean soup I love. When I get it at this little hole in the wall it is basically very smooth, the beans aren't whole, its almost pureed but with a bit of texture still.

I love it like that and I found a recipe that should give me almost the same taste, but it recommends soaking the beans overnight, and then cooking them, and the end product should have the beans relatively whole. Should I blend the beans after soaking overnight? Or can I blend the whole thing at the end of hte cook to give it that smoother texture?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sterster posted:

You can do 1-2 hours sv @131 for Med rare centers then broil to your liking for the outside. Like I said I heavily season with garlic salt all over then stick(s) of butter all in the bag. Then into broil pan top rack with all the liquid from bag. Broil, flip, broil. Then server and I usually spoon the sauce in the pan over steak with mash & broccoli. Optionally you can re-season when going into broil pan. Doing them SV it's going to be hard to gently caress em up. The cut isn't really meaty in taste so it's going to be more garlic & butter flavored then normal steaks.

Awesome, thanks. They're in the bath now, so I'll try to do a trip report after dinner.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Knifegrab posted:

So I am recreating a really good but basic spicy black bean soup I love. When I get it at this little hole in the wall it is basically very smooth, the beans aren't whole, its almost pureed but with a bit of texture still.

I love it like that and I found a recipe that should give me almost the same taste, but it recommends soaking the beans overnight, and then cooking them, and the end product should have the beans relatively whole. Should I blend the beans after soaking overnight? Or can I blend the whole thing at the end of hte cook to give it that smoother texture?

Perhaps a potato masher would give you the texture you want?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
2 questions:

1: If I were to make an egg burrito and keep it in the fridge for the next day would the eggs taste absolutely terrible?

2: I have some cans of tomato sauce and was going to use it in a meat sauce. If I added it while simmering the meat and sauce together would the mushrooms come out cooked or am I better off sauteing them separately?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

A lot of recipes that have smoother results call for blending a portion of the beans and keeping some for texture. So if it's pretty thick and smooth with flecks of bean, plus some bursted/mashed you can go for that. Then using a potato masher on the remainder as suggested earlier.

But usually beans are blended post-cooking (except for falafel).

Also, in principle you can cook them without soaking since black beans only take slightly longer when unsoaked. Pick through and wash, then cook (covered) for a little longer. You're supposed to get more flavor out of them that way.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I've stopped soaking beans entirely, fight me.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Since you guys brought up beans, I am trying to embrace the austerity of split pea soup, but the two times I have made it, my split peas don't soften to my liking. Do any other cheapskates who buy store brand split peas have any tricks they'd like to share with me? Should I be cooking them longer or soaking them the night before even though they're not supposed to need it? Does it just serve me right for trying to save a dollar by not buying Goya brand dried legumes or something?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

DasNeonLicht posted:

Since you guys brought up beans, I am trying to embrace the austerity of split pea soup, but the two times I have made it, my split peas don't soften to my liking. Do any other cheapskates who buy store brand split peas have any tricks they'd like to share with me? Should I be cooking them longer or soaking them the night before even though they're not supposed to need it? Does it just serve me right for trying to save a dollar by not buying Goya brand dried legumes or something?

Cook longer and/or use more liquid. Salt earlier/later? Very specific, right.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, trip report: the whole dinner was the filets, done Sous Vide and finished in the broiler, with from-scratch loaded mashed potatoes, charred corn and caramelized mushrooms and onions. Overall, for me, the steak, sadly, turned out way overdone. I attribute this to my broiler being utter poo poo, and me leaving the steaks in there for 4 minutes a side to get a crust on each side. If the broiler was able to get hotter, I could've likely left in for less time and still had them come out nice. Or, if I had known this would happen ahead of time, I could've SV'd the steaks cooler to compensate. Flavor-wise it was really good, just, the outside and edges were basically over done and chewy, and only the middle had any tint of red to it. My wife, on the other hand, absolutely loved it, because she doesn't like the concept of "red meat", I guess. It's one of her worst qualities, I assure you. Anyway, thankfully, I acquired 4 total steaks, so I'll be trying again tomorrow.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

So, trip report: :words:

Dang sorry they didn't turn out just right. At least it sounds like the flavor came though. Did you broil them on the top rack? Eh, I tried to help, sorry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fishsauce chat: you can get redboat on Amazon by the gallon if thats your thing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
More pot roast questions: celery or no? Should I use yellow onions or white?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

moller posted:

I've stopped soaking beans entirely, fight me.

Yeah some I don't (mayacoba/black beans seem to work ok), but I soak chickpeas. Their cooking time is usually longer. An overnight soak and ~8 1/2 minutes in my trusty presto gives perfectly plump, tender, unbroken chickpeas.

I've been experimenting with soaking lentils of all things, I usually can't get a good texture out of them but soaking seems to help. I may just not be getting good ones (more on the green side than brown) however.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sterster posted:

Dang sorry they didn't turn out just right. At least it sounds like the flavor came though. Did you broil them on the top rack? Eh, I tried to help, sorry.

Nah, dude, I appreciate the advice. you can't ever get better if you don't try new things. My oven's a really crappy low end model that's got the broiler in the bottom compartment. I had the steaks as close to the element as I could get, but it just wasn't enough to sear them without cooking them more. And like I said, I've got another pair of steaks, so I'll give it another go tomorrow and tweak things to the way my equipment works.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If you want to, sure. Whatever you have.

Leal posted:

2 questions:

1: If I were to make an egg burrito and keep it in the fridge for the next day would the eggs taste absolutely terrible?

2: I have some cans of tomato sauce and was going to use it in a meat sauce. If I added it while simmering the meat and sauce together would the mushrooms come out cooked or am I better off sauteing them separately?

Have you ever had McDs breakfast burrito? Cuz if you think those are palatable, so will this. I make scrambled egg burritos all the time and the eggs are always a touch dryer the next day, but still fine.

You're always better off browning things separately to build flavor.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Nah, dude, I appreciate the advice. you can't ever get better if you don't try new things. My oven's a really crappy low end model that's got the broiler in the bottom compartment. I had the steaks as close to the element as I could get, but it just wasn't enough to sear them without cooking them more. And like I said, I've got another pair of steaks, so I'll give it another go tomorrow and tweak things to the way my equipment works.

Wow, I was going to guess you had an electric oven and tell you to leave the door open, but a drawer sounds like a gas oven and in my experience those broilers work amazingly well. So I'm baffled why they took so long to brown.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Either onion is good in a pot roast, might as well use your oldest and least pleasantly-shaped ones since they'll be cooking down to nothing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, trip report: the whole dinner was the filets, done Sous Vide and finished in the broiler, with from-scratch loaded mashed potatoes, charred corn and caramelized mushrooms and onions. Overall, for me, the steak, sadly, turned out way overdone. I attribute this to my broiler being utter poo poo, and me leaving the steaks in there for 4 minutes a side to get a crust on each side. If the broiler was able to get hotter, I could've likely left in for less time and still had them come out nice. Or, if I had known this would happen ahead of time, I could've SV'd the steaks cooler to compensate. Flavor-wise it was really good, just, the outside and edges were basically over done and chewy, and only the middle had any tint of red to it. My wife, on the other hand, absolutely loved it, because she doesn't like the concept of "red meat", I guess. It's one of her worst qualities, I assure you. Anyway, thankfully, I acquired 4 total steaks, so I'll be trying again tomorrow.

When I cook tenderloin from raw, I'm cooking them under 4 minutes per side total, start to finish. Any steak you SV should be finished in a roaring hot pan and like a minute a side, max.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Nah, dude, I appreciate the advice.

Didn't know you didn't have an element on the top of the oven. I put mine like 1inch from the top element after its already heated up. But as mentioned a roaring hot cast iron works too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would also suggest a screaming hot cast iron with a couple teaspoons of grapeseed oil or similar.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Eeyo posted:

A lot of recipes that have smoother results call for blending a portion of the beans and keeping some for texture. So if it's pretty thick and smooth with flecks of bean, plus some bursted/mashed you can go for that. Then using a potato masher on the remainder as suggested earlier.

But usually beans are blended post-cooking (except for falafel).

Also, in principle you can cook them without soaking since black beans only take slightly longer when unsoaked. Pick through and wash, then cook (covered) for a little longer. You're supposed to get more flavor out of them that way.

I can cook without soaking even if it's in a crock pot?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I can cook without soaking even if it's in a crock pot?

I'd think it would work, but I don't know how much extra time you'd need. Soaking is just getting the beans to absorb water. So if you put them in the crock pot without soaking they'll absorb that much at some point during the cooking, and then it would be like starting with soaked beans. Another way of soaking is the 'quick soak' where you boil them and steep in hot water for half an hour, so I don't think soaking does anything special other than get water into the beans.

There's not a huge difference in soaked/unsoaked. The color is a little less intense and I think the flavor is a little less, but those are pretty small differences, so there's nothing wrong with soaking them to follow the recipe.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leal posted:

I've kept an omelet in the fridge overnight and it was as good as new the next day. Should be fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can keep cooked eggs for a long time in the fridge.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Looking for some options for a super bowl party. People love the gently caress out of Tyler Florence’s teriyaki chicken wings, so that’s a given, but I want to bring something in addition to the wings.

If I were hosting, I’d make a nacho dip involving Velveeta, green peppers and ground beef in a crock pot, but I’m traveling (about 35 minutes), so I’m looking for something I can either make ahead or can make there. Sure, I could fall back on a cheese / meat tray from Publix, but that’s a last resort.

Ideas? As an aside, I have frozen Ghost Peppers and Carolina Reapers :black101:

No specific dietary restrictions. Thanks in advance.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make pimento cheese, and add some ghosts/reapers. Make the day before to give the peppers a chance to really spread their heat. You can bring crackers with it, or you can go big and make a bunch of grilled cheese sandwiches with it and cut them into 2-bite-sized pieces. If you go that route, use a pretty sturdy bread, so that it still has some chew/crunch to it after the trip. Even at room temp, will be delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Food Wishes just did a Philly cheese steak dip that looks delicious. Make it ahead and warm up when you get there. Maybe a no-go for new England fans.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm sure this has come up constantly in this forum, but I think I've been lurking all the relevant threads for long enough and haven't seen it, so:

As someone who's cooking for one, I often end up making recipes that call for, say, a couple stalks' worth of celery. My grocery store has the following options: (1) a whole head of celery, (2) a bag of celery stalks, and (3) cut celery sticks. These all cost roughly the same, but the leftovers from (1) and (2) will definitely go bad in my refrigerator before I use them all up, and I feel kinda stupid buying (3). I get the impression that freezing celery will make it mushy when it defrosts, which is sometimes not ideal. What do?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Incoherence posted:

I'm sure this has come up constantly in this forum, but I think I've been lurking all the relevant threads for long enough and haven't seen it, so:

As someone who's cooking for one, I often end up making recipes that call for, say, a couple stalks' worth of celery. My grocery store has the following options: (1) a whole head of celery, (2) a bag of celery stalks, and (3) cut celery sticks. These all cost roughly the same, but the leftovers from (1) and (2) will definitely go bad in my refrigerator before I use them all up, and I feel kinda stupid buying (3). I get the impression that freezing celery will make it mushy when it defrosts, which is sometimes not ideal. What do?

You buy the amount suitable for your usage. Also celery stalks can make a good snack with some peanut butter, hummus or cream cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
As a fellow celery cooker-with but not eater, I haven't really found an answer yet. I don't want my veggie stock to be 90% celery, but I also don't want to waste food.

Go throw it at birds, I guess?