Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Will the changes in CherryH to starting tech selection/edicts/etc break pre-existing playable empires you've created, or will they convert to something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They'll probably need manual adjustments. I had to change a few of mine after the last major update.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I assume the starting tech/ftl will need to be updated. Maybe just like, reloading the empire would fix it since you won't even be able to choose those anymore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

The sardonic irony of being conquered and converted to paper clips is key.

Yeah but it's just Grey Goo.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Personally, I'm a big fan of Paradox's model. It'd be one thing if the base game wasn't really a game, but that's never really been the case, or at least not in this generation. I played two whole campaigns of CK2 before the first DLC released. I buy a game, and if I like it, I do the DLC, and if I like it, I do the next DLC and so on and so on.

----the caveat being I always have gotten on the ground floor, though. I randomly blew 100 bucks on EU4 several months back because I felt like playing it for a change, and I can't imagine normal people with vices and hobbies and social lives doing that too often.

I think EU4, and CK2 are the ones where the flaw in this development model are starting to show, the games can't really be played without any dlc at this point, and a sequel will trim back the bloat to the point people will consider it a step back.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jesus christ, I hit random on the empire sliders and it's now almost 70 years in and i've found... 3 other empires. Still finding anomalies like mad.

What the heck.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GunnerJ posted:

Which robot portrait is chewing on a stalk of wheat like an adorable hayseed bumpkin? :colbert:

"I'm just one more down home country gynoid. But I know Farmulon-3. An we don't need youre big city 'production targets.'"
*unrest increases by 15%*

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I'd really like some custom game options, I love crafting races and empires, id love to be able to edit all AI empires in the game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Willfrey posted:

I'd really like some custom game options, I love crafting races and empires, id love to be able to edit all AI empires in the game

l2p

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I really just want the ability to make custom fallen empires. I can meticulously make a list of a dozen flavorful thematically interesting rivals... but the most powerful and enigmatic forces in the galaxy are still random unimpressive reptile portrait 3 with an arbitrary name.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm not sure, should I colonize? It will be the second planet in my empire:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jackie D posted:

I think EU4, and CK2 are the ones where the flaw in this development model are starting to show, the games can't really be played without any dlc at this point, and a sequel will trim back the bloat to the point people will consider it a step back.

What makes the game(s) less playable now compared to before the DLC came out?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mayor Dave posted:

Wow, that's a good find. Can't wait to see what the RNG has in store to gently caress you with a few years down the line from now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mayor Dave posted:

Your pets and a betharian are stuck beneath tile blockers. Trash planet, do not colonise.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What I want to know is how the pets live under the volcano.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fellblade posted:

they're balanced around a full-DLC experience. EU4 suffers from it a lot more than CK2, especially with certain DLC being very very important. now, if you transitioned back to a patch when your currently-owned DLC is the only DLC extant using steam's version changer thing, then it wouldn't be much of an issue if you don't care about newer content in any way at all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

wiegieman posted:

What I want to know is how the pets live under the volcano.

magma crab. like a hermit but spicy.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Eiba posted:

I really just want the ability to make custom fallen empires. I can meticulously make a list of a dozen flavorful thematically interesting rivals... but the most powerful and enigmatic forces in the galaxy are still random unimpressive reptile portrait 3 with an arbitrary name.

Its pretty straightforward to make custom fallen empires, though it does require basic modding. You can customise each of the five types of Fallen Empire to spawn with certain names, portraits, traits, flags, ship designs, etc.

For example, after a particularly memorable game involving me being beaten to the ground by the Awakened Xenophobes, I have now made them always spawn with the Babylon 5 'Shadows' portrait.

Most of the data to do this is within the 00_fallen_empire.txt As ever, its usually a bad idea to edit the base files - making a mod with the desired changes. This has the benefit of being easily able to revert back to vanilla (by unselecting the mod) if you ever get sick of the Fallen Empire's faces.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So I’ve been playing this game almost non stop since Friday evening and I think I’m now chemically addicted.

One issue however is I can’t figure out how to keep up militarily with my neighbors. They seem to be able to out number and out tech me every time. I can’t figure out how they can afford to simultaneously expand the way they do and still have the resources to build so many ships. Does anyone have any pointers? Like, any techs to rush, should I avoid planets with tile blockers etc.

I’m a very turtle-ey type of player who much prefers to tech up and concentrate on highly developed colonies, but I can’t seem to do that, expand my mining and research bases AND build my fleets all at once.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Goddamnit I just got enigmatic encoders in an iron man game :rip:

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Fellblade posted:

If I remember correctly you cant change development or manage estates or something?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/598198173696509033/

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PiCroft posted:

So I’ve been playing this game almost non stop since Friday evening and I think I’m now chemically addicted.

One issue however is I can’t figure out how to keep up militarily with my neighbors. They seem to be able to out number and out tech me every time. I can’t figure out how they can afford to simultaneously expand the way they do and still have the resources to build so many ships. Does anyone have any pointers? Like, any techs to rush, should I avoid planets with tile blockers etc.

I’m a very turtle-ey type of player who much prefers to tech up and concentrate on highly developed colonies, but I can’t seem to do that, expand my mining and research bases AND build my fleets all at once.

Hard to say without knowing more - one thing I can suggest off the bat, though, is that if you're colonizing every habitable planet you can, you're probably penalizing your tech rate - the more planets you have, the slower you research, so planets with a habitability of less than 10 are probably not worth it barring fantastic modifiers. Beyond that, though, as I said, hard to figure out what the problem is just from your description, and I'm not even sure if that warning is applicable to you if as you say you're focusing on high-development colonies.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

If I remember correctly you cant change development or manage estates or something?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/598198173696509033/

Sort of, you can't change development, but you couldn't do that before either. What changed there was that buildings became restricted by development level, so while before you could build the buildings you wanted, now if you wanted to build those buildings in low development provinces, you'd have to increase their development, which was impossible without the DLC.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

PiCroft posted:

this is like every other 4x in that expanding provides an exponential increase to your power while turtling cedes this power to others. unity is a mechanic that mitigates but does not eliminate this very basic rule of thumb. minerals and planets are the primary bases of power. minerals create colony ships. colonies means more population (more minerals) and a higher fleet cap. fleet cap allows you to gobble up and to dissuade enemies. energy and research are secondary facilitators for these primary bases.

focus on mining stations and colony ships for your first 10 or 20 years. you hardly need a fleet -- only enough to fend off the early pirates. no ai nation can get through space ports until destroyers or cruisers. and good diplomacy can dispense with the need.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You get a research penalty each time you colonize a planet, so constant expansion just for expansion is not a good move. There will be planets that are just not worth settling because the mineral return doesn't outweigh the loss in research. Prioritise planets with the highest mineral income during early expansion, or planets that will get you control over systems with a lot of space based minerals, and especially those that an AI empire might be able to beat you to.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
someone with more time than me could crunch the numbers (although I'm sure they'll change in 2.0?) and think more about the costs/benefits. but the short term benefit to fleet cap in the first 50-100 years would well outweigh the ~2% or whatever research penalty you would get down the road from capping a 10 size planet vs a 16 size planet imo

edit: I don't even remember how low planets can go now. maybe 8? those are pretty rare. if there's an 8 with a bunch of tile blockers then yeah that can sometimes be a dud

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 28, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, doesn't putting down a frontier outpost basically set the game to go "this system is MINE, hands off!"?

Of course in 2.0 that will likely change, and having an outpost just to expand your borders even if it has no strategic use whatsoever. Depends if it uses unity or whatever to put it down and if it needs upkeep like that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did they announce a unity rework with the expansion?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The research penalty per planet is only 10%, so, you're only penalized if you can't get that 10% back from the planet somehow. The penalty is significant, but also way, waaaaaaaaaay overstated in this thread, since unless and until you get well and truly huge, adding even a few research stations makes a more than significant increase in total output.

Of course, depending on how things shake out in CherryH this might be less doable. As it stands, right now, when I pick my planets, I look at immediate tile resources, planet size, and what kind of cool poo poo is on the nearby stars and will potentially backfill into my empire. A small planet that gives you access to several nearby research stations currently more than makes up for its research penalty.

With the coming "You need to claim all the systems you want" change, it might be considerably less worth it to take planets like that, but on the whole, since population also damages research, albeit to a smaller degree, it seems like, unless you have infinite energy credits (and, you know, have thus won the game already), a big, empty planet is a shittier investment than a tiny densely populated, high-output planet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kinda want to play Stellaris, but mostly want to wait for Cherryh.

So much good stuff in that compiled list of changes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tigey posted:

Its pretty straightforward to make custom fallen empires, though it does require basic modding. You can customise each of the five types of Fallen Empire to spawn with certain names, portraits, traits, flags, ship designs, etc.

For example, after a particularly memorable game involving me being beaten to the ground by the Awakened Xenophobes, I have now made them always spawn with the Babylon 5 'Shadows' portrait.

Most of the data to do this is within the 00_fallen_empire.txt As ever, its usually a bad idea to edit the base files - making a mod with the desired changes. This has the benefit of being easily able to revert back to vanilla (by unselecting the mod) if you ever get sick of the Fallen Empire's faces.
As someone who spent a couple hours trying to get a basic name list I made up uploaded as a mod so I could use it with friends, "basic modding" isn't exactly where I'd like that feature.

I'll keep this in mind though if I get really into making a premade-race-only galaxy in the future.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tithin posted:

Did they announce a unity rework with the expansion?

A bit. You'll be able to spend Unity on Edict-like things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ms Adequate posted:

Somebody in this very thread posted their Paperclip Maximizer civ a week or two ago!

I'm playing one now. Don't remember if I posted about it or not.

I annexed a neighbor, turned their population into batteries, and the entire galaxy freaked out. Two federations formed, one of which is (more or less) friendly with me, the other of which hates my guts.

The ones that hate me declared war despite every member being Inferior or Pathetic in power. Combined they were pretty tough, stronger than me, but I was able to lure their fleet into a system with multiple fortresses and my primary fleet. While that was happening I built more fortresses in every chokepoint system on that side of my empire. Once one of the enemy fleets got low enough to retreat, it triggered chain reaction, and they all ran. Now they're all trying to get back into my territory one at a time and running into fortresses. It's not going well.

My counter-demand was to vassalize the largest member of that federation. I'll integrate it in a decade or so, and turn them all into batteries to power more paperclip farms.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You can always catch up on tech when your enemies are dead. The fleet cap bonus from planets are usually well worth it, though if you can seize bigger planets that'll expand your borders more, obviously do that instead of capping small planets closer to your borders.

You can always colonize smaller planets in your space for fleet cap later.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PiCroft posted:

About when yearwise do you feel like you've fallen behind? There are advanced start empires that start with more planets and tech than you so if you're measuring against them, don't be.

Most or all of the following advice will be obsolete in three weeks.

Expansion of territory is good, but colonising planets is expensive in lots of ways. Colonising a planet you don't have the pops or minerals to properly exploit means you're not spending all that energy and minerals on the faster returns of orbitals, but each planet means another spaceport to increase your fleet cap. So you want to slowly but steadily increase your number of planets while rapidly snaffling up all the juicy systems and chokepoints with frontier outposts. Once you start running out of space to expand into start backfilling the lesser planets you skipped and dismantling any outposts this makes redundant. Or murder the people in your way and take their stuff, your call. Upgrade your spaceports ASAP. The AI starts pumping resources into fleet building as soon as it encounters a player, so most empires you see will be heavily over fleet cap. As soon as you encounter anyone you haven't made immediate super best friends with keep your ships at maximum fleet cap.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 28, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Veryslightlymad posted:

The research penalty per planet is only 10%, so, you're only penalized if you can't get that 10% back from the planet somehow. The penalty is significant, but also way, waaaaaaaaaay overstated in this thread, since unless and until you get well and truly huge, adding even a few research stations makes a more than significant increase in total output.

I'm pretty sure that it's 10% per planet and 1% per pop, so your size 8 planet can end up being an 18% penalty, which isn't bad at first, but down the line is seriously awful.

e: As an example, a fully colonized size 8 planet's pops will cost 2.25% each. A fully colonized size 25 planet's pops cost 1.4% each. Over the long term that penalty can start stacking up to be very significant.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 28, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The AI just felt a little Hitlery this multiplayer session. :hitler:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally, found the two mods I need for my Rogue Servitors to feel complete.

Rogue Servitors can purge and enslave
Balanced and Large Food Stockpiling for Rogue Servitor

Now I can put these fallen empires to best use :chef:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

THE BAR posted:

The AI just felt a little Hitlery this multiplayer session. :hitler:
~just Axis things~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The thought occurs to me: if I leave biological populations on a world that I am terraforming to a machine planet, will this kill them all when it's finished?

In a way that feels even more pleasingly despicable than purging: don't even care enough to murder them on purpose.

• Locked thread