Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

And to Helsing, the existence of Rob Ford is because the people most affected by his regressive bullshit aren't voting. The deceased Robert Ford's nephew, whose last name was not originally Ford, was elected ward councilor by something like 17% of the entire population of the ward, with over 70% of the vote IIRC.

His highest profile rival was Andray Domise, who received approximately a rounding error of votes.

The election that Rob Ford won had a pretty dramatic increase in voter turnout over previous years.

http://www.cbc.ca/1.884395

I think it's more that people tend to vote against their interests than not voting at all in his particular case. I'm not sure how those numbers broke out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Look I'm not saying it's rational or good, I'm saying it's comprehensible. People who are poorly served by transit don't tend to use transit, and thus don't see expanding transit as a good thing and are much more willing to vote for people who cancel transit projects even when those projects would have extended service towards them. You can argue all day about which came first, the poor service or the anti-transit attitudes, but they tend to go together.

War On The Car sells because there are legitimately a ton of people in the Toronto outskirts who never use transit and drive their cars every day and don't want to pay for other people's transit even if the transit gets extended to their neighborhoods, because they habitually use their cars and thus don't see the benefit of transit.

Incidentally, Rob Ford was also popular because he actually bothered to pretend he gave a poo poo about people in poor areas by doing things like returning their phone calls. When you don't tend to interact with city services because you're very poorly served by them because the city doesn't care about you (because you're poor, for example), even small things like pretending to give a poo poo when you get a call from a constituent can make a big difference considering how poor a grasp of policy most people have and how little they actually understand how Ford or any other politician's policy proposals would help or hurt them.

Oh, word. Yeah, engagement is definitely an issue for northern Etobicoke and Scarborough.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The election that Rob Ford won had a pretty dramatic increase in voter turnout over previous years.

http://www.cbc.ca/1.884395

I think it's more that people tend to vote against their interests than not voting at all in his particular case. I'm not sure how those numbers broke out though.

Rob Ford won two elections in Ward 2, his brother won one, and his nephew won one, I've posted the stats in Canpol and the Toronto LAN before. The engagement has been low each time and their vote margin never much under 70%.

tl; dr: The voters of Ward 2 would vote for a ficus with "Ford" sharpied on the side of the pot. Attempts to engage others have failed thus far.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Jan 27, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
By contrast, for the two elections in Toronto in which I've been eligible to vote, I lived in Parkdale. Both times we've elected Gord Perks, someone who in my opinion is an effective member of council who advocates our interests and has helped improve services in the neighbourhood.

South Parkdale was also a neighbourhood of low income people and new immigrants.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, if my only exposure to transit were Calgary Transit, I'd assume it really loving sucks as a concept too.

We need better examples to show people, "no, transit can be good, and not make you fear for your personal safety and pray for death as you wait an hour for your bus!"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

if any americans have come in here to ask about what's going on with u of t's jordan peterson aka the alt-right's favourite prof, this will get you caught up:

https://twitter.com/ergo_praxis/status/957089571044515841

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Posting pictures of literally hitler is actually illegal now according to c-16, please report to WLU for reeducation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's actually worse than Hitler and so are you, for buying his book.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm probably like 2.5 hitlers

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

He's actually worse than Hitler and so are you, for buying his book.

It was like $1.50 a commandment, that is good value.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Some discount fuckin' commandments if you ask me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The ByWay of self help.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Make June really fun

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/327/282/749/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. oh if only

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The new Saskatchewan premier looks like a fatter Andrew Scheer

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

well gently caress one of my ears is clogged, now i have to go see a doctor for free instead of being half-deaf forever

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Yinlock posted:

well gently caress one of my ears is clogged, now i have to go see a doctor for free instead of being half-deaf forever

they're gonna pour oil in your ear to loosen it up then flush it out with watter

feels weird man

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

DariusLikewise posted:

The new Saskatchewan premier looks like a fatter Andrew Scheer

That’s just how we look here.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Stickarts posted:

That’s just how we look here.

a province of large adult sons

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they're gonna pour oil in your ear to loosen it up then flush it out with watter

feels weird man

yeah it's happened before, i spend the majority of the day with headphones on and it gives me a buildup every couple years, getting older sure is fun

though it's amazing for a few days afterward when you can hear EVERYTHING up to and including any movement from your own clothes

me just standing there marveling at how i can hear my own pants

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It was like $1.50 a commandment, that is good value.

Don't hold out on us post some excerpts

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Don't hold out on us post some excerpts

Are you just trying to get me sued?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is the texture of the paper appropriate for wiping one's rear end? Because that's the only use I can think of for anything that moron writes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We have a real problem with the worst things we create leaking out of this country. Jordan Peterson, Nickelback, Ted Cruz, Justin Bieber. What the gently caress, Canada?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PT6A posted:

We have a real problem with the worst things we create leaking out of this country. Jordan Peterson, Nickelback, Ted Cruz, Justin Bieber. What the gently caress, Canada?

no, we export our terrible things to america, thus sparing us them

a country without ted cruz is a better place

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

So he's using Nietzschean psychology to spice what would otherwise be a rather bland serving of unobjectionable self help 101 stuff? Surely there's something more explosive in there?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

So he's using Nietzschean psychology to spice what would otherwise be a rather bland serving of unobjectionable self help 101 stuff? Surely there's something more explosive in there?

He fantasizes about assaulting a toddler, does that count?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

If I had to guess the tldr from the little bit I read, it's to stop worrying about changing/what's wrong in the world and work on yourself. And if everybody does that, it'll change the world. I can see the appeal to his audience, a university going cisheteronormative white male can go from being buried under a mountain of privileged guilt to permission to focus on themselves as a means towards social justice.

More random pages, we have anecdotes featuring Natives, Chris and self-loathing masculinity too. High school Ikantski can kind of identify with Chris, masculinity was confusing even back then.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I file an objection about associating Nietzsche with this scrofulous motherfucker

Also "the wages of sin is death" being actually Darwinian selection at work and that's what sin means is so hilariously wrong I don't know where to start

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-roberts-buying-old-f-18-jets-is-a-bad-idea-it-just-makes-our-existing-problem-worse

The NP is usually trash but this is good (non-Canadians: our two main newspapers are P and NP)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, who is "P"? Doesn't P==NP?

We've got NP, GM, and TS

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tar sands

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wait, who is "P"? Doesn't P==NP?

We've got NP, GM, and TS

A bad computer joke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I file an objection about associating Nietzsche with this scrofulous motherfucker

Also "the wages of sin is death" being actually Darwinian selection at work and that's what sin means is so hilariously wrong I don't know where to start

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-roberts-buying-old-f-18-jets-is-a-bad-idea-it-just-makes-our-existing-problem-worse

The NP is usually trash but this is good (non-Canadians: our two main newspapers are P and NP)

Actually that article is Tom Clancy imaginary bullshit.

quote:

These older series aircraft — a generation behind the enhanced Super Hornet — cannot carry current electronically scanned radar (which is effective at a much greater range than older models) or more advanced, long-range air-to-air munitions. But they will be faced with adversaries who have such long-range capabilities. They would start any engagement at a decided disadvantage.

Enormous [citation needed] growing bigger and bigger until it swallows the article

quote:

The mission computers of existing legacy Hornets are tapped out — not to mention concomitant limitations in power and cooling — thereby restricting the ability to introduce new sensors and other capabilities. Russian bombers able to launch advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD pose serious challenges to existing legacy Hornet capabilities.

If Russian bombers are launching advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD Canada will have zero influence on either side no matter what airplanes we have, because we are not a nuclear-armed state

quote:

The cost to keep such older aircraft flying continues to grow. The operating costs of an old Hornet are approximately double those of a new Super Hornet. It is increasingly hard to find spare parts for legacy Hornets. Military maintainers have been forced to cannibalize some jets to keep others in the air.

This is exactly the point of buying the old planes (well except the giant gently caress you to Boeing for going after Bombardier), so that we can cannibalize them for parts

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

obey the rich at all times, someday you too may be rich - Nietzsche

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

A bad computer joke

As if there were good ones

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

who is that goon who gets super pissed if you say tar sands instead of w/e the softer industry term is

energy beaches or w/e

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

vyelkin posted:

Enormous [citation needed] growing bigger and bigger until it swallows the article

It is true the state of the art has moved on - a lot - since the 1980s in sensors and p much everything else. The last actual air combat the CF-18s saw was 1991 AFIK against a somewhat-well-equipped adversary who wasn't well trained but you can't really write off NATO etc facing a peer opponent - or (much more likely) one equipped with excellent Russian SAMs in the future

vyelkin posted:

If Russian bombers are launching advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD Canada will have zero influence on either side no matter what airplanes we have, because we are not a nuclear-armed state

Fair point, in a nuclear war we pretty much die in a fire and hopefully so does the other guy.

vyelkin posted:

This is exactly the point of buying the old planes (well except the giant gently caress you to Boeing for going after Bombardier), so that we can cannibalize them for parts

This is also a fair point though it ignores the point the dude is trying to make: we need new fighters

Yinlock posted:

obey the rich at all times, someday you too may be rich - Nietzsche

:argh:

Don't make me get my books

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the proper plane for the canadian forces is whatever is the cheapest thing that technically allows us to fulfill our treaty obligations. they exist so that we can send a token squad of flying bricks to cheerlead in whatever hornet's nest the yankees are currently loving

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
lmao at the idiots posting about nato commitments in cspam of all places

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Helsing posted:

I mean the dude who wrote eight increasingly-syphilitic autobiographies does seem on brand for Professor Peterson.

He fantasizes about assaulting a toddler, does that count?

there's probably a pretty good collection to be made of instances where he gives different variations of "I could beat you up, but I won't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

the proper plane for the canadian forces is whatever is the cheapest thing that technically allows us to fulfill our treaty obligations. they exist so that we can send a token squad of flying bricks to cheerlead in whatever hornet's nest the yankees are currently loving

B-b-b-but Billy Bishop!!!