Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Once per game, if your flag does not have a gold fringe...

Also check out this art of what seems to be the big kit.

Gnarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah that's loving dope.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SteelMentor posted:

Once per game, if your flag does not have a gold fringe...

Also check out this art of what seems to be the big kit.

Gnarly.

Ah yeah everyone originally thought that was Malekith. But there is now a good chance that is Morathi.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If your opponent asks to see the stats for a unit, you do not have to comply

If the stats for a unit are printed in all capital letters, this represents the lien the state has created for the unit's identity and not the unit itself

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

If the stats for a unit are printed in all capital letters, this represents the lien the state has created for the unit's identity and not the unit itself

:perfect:

so uhhh, how awful are Skaven? I can get ahold of a Spire of Dawn box or two.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

:thunk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

:perfect:

so uhhh, how awful are Skaven? I can get ahold of a Spire of Dawn box or two.

They are not horrible. But they could use some improvements. Skaven will really appreciate a battletome that combines their factions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
True story once when I was a kid I asked to see a rule in my opponent's army book and he told me if I wanted to see the rule I had to buy the book myself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

True story once when I was a kid I asked to see a rule in my opponent's army book and he told me if I wanted to see the rule I had to buy the book myself.

What a Jerk glad nothing like that has happened with me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just had the guy in my high school gaming group who created an all Chaos Terminator list in 5th edition because he "wrote GW and they sent him rules to let him do it" or something along those lines. In hindsight, he fudged his dicerolls and points values all the time and never let us see a list, so I'm not too surprised.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rules question: If my unit has a 3" melee attack and charges a unit but I stay exactly at 3", can they attack back or would they have to wait for their next fight phase to pile in?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

Rules question: If my unit has a 3" melee attack and charges a unit but I stay exactly at 3", can they attack back or would they have to wait for their next fight phase to pile in?

I think they have to pile in still.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pfft, just use universal language.

"Excuse me, I, GENERAL:SMASHFUCKER, THE LIVING MAN demand and invoice upon you a Warscroll without the Admiralty fringe of skulls."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they have to pile in still.

On that note: if a model has a 3" melee attack (this being the Slann Starmaster in this case), its charge has to end within 1/2" of the enemy unit anyway right? If that's the case how do they ever make use of their 3" range?

Could they roll enough to potentially be within 1/2" but stop at 3" and be able to attack? The range of melee attacks is confusing me, lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deified Data posted:

On that note: if a model has a 3" melee attack (this being the Slann Starmaster in this case), its charge has to end within 1/2" of the enemy unit anyway right? If that's the case how do they ever make use of their 3" range?

Could they roll enough to potentially be within 1/2" but stop at 3" and be able to attack? The range of melee attacks is confusing me, lol

Having a long melee attack generally is there so it can attack over the top of a screening unit. So that Slann could be behind a unit of skinks and still be able to attack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Having a long melee attack generally is there so it can attack over the top of a screening unit. So that Slann could be behind a unit of skinks and still be able to attack.

And likewise the enemies won't be able to swing back at him on their combat. Cause he is out of reach.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted up the first 20 dudes for a mob of Free Company Militia (Freeguild Guard with militia weapons) recently:

Still need to do a musician and banner, and round out the mob to 30 or 40.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay I think really I'm just looking for a faction where I can play a couple monsters in a 2k game and be cool with that. Ironjawz I could do the Maw Krusha and I guess a giant but I have no clue if giants are worth it. Death seems like it's got plenty of good monster sized stuff though.

Can you ally with more than one other faction or just one?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

S.J. posted:

Okay I think really I'm just looking for a faction where I can play a couple monsters in a 2k game and be cool with that. Ironjawz I could do the Maw Krusha and I guess a giant but I have no clue if giants are worth it. Death seems like it's got plenty of good monster sized stuff though.

Can you ally with more than one other faction or just one?

each Grand Alliance has a decent selection of big things but most of Destruction's are forgeworld I think. The Rogue Idol, Troggoth Hag and Colossal Squig can ally into Ironjaws but are Forgeworld. I think the Gargants (giants) are okay but very random. Fun to play with but very unreliable and squishy with a 5+ save.

Allies are just whoever you can fit in the point allotment. You can mix grots and a gargant or whatever.

edit: they really should have made Spiderfang Grots an Ironjawz ally.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 28, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you're after a monster faction you really can't go wrong with the Beastclaws.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

If you're after a monster faction you really can't go wrong with the Beastclaws.

Yeah that's fair, plus not needing to paint very many models :v: I Honestly Orcs, Skaven and VCs have always been the armies in WH that have interested me the most (I used to play Orks in 40k for quite a while). From what I understand playing actual vampires/non-monster characters can be quite a liability since individual characters can get sniped so easily. Any grapevine info about what's coming after the Brides of Khaine?

Danimo posted:

edit: they really should have made Spiderfang Grots an Ironjawz ally.

It's funny that they aren't since GWs warscroll builder on their website lets you.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

S.J. posted:

Any grapevine info about what's coming after the Brides of Khaine?

Nothing concrete. Current speculation points to another updated Aelves army (High Elf flavoured this time) and Moonclan Grots as they didn't get updated in the current GH, like Brides.

One rumour I keep hearing is for an updated Slaves to Darkness/Darkoath faction focused around the Warqueen and featuring new Marauder barbarian types, but it's based on nothing and I only bring it up because I seriously hope it's real.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

...Darkoath? I should just read the wiki. Most of the story stuff I skipped out on because it sounded like poo poo and the game's launch didn't help much.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

S.J. posted:

...Darkoath? I should just read the wiki. Most of the story stuff I skipped out on because it sounded like poo poo and the game's launch didn't help much.

They're literally 2 models strong at this point so there ain't much on them. Pretty much just Norsca, but Sigmar'd.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We are also hoping for character targeting rules like in 40k to prevent characters from just getting sniped.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

We are also hoping for character targeting rules like in 40k to prevent characters from just getting sniped.

Yeah you'd certainly loving hope so. Otherwise all those undead guys being able to res multiple units won't mean poo poo.

Oh hey, if I'm thinking about Skaven, would it be a good purchase to get the Spire of Dawn starter if I can get ahold of it? I don't even know if I can put all of those models in the same drat list.

e: Also, thanks for answering my questions, guys. It's still blowing my mind just how much loving nothing GW tells people about the game without spending money on the rules. I mean, I work at my FLGS, so I know, but holy poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

God I hope they port it over. I dusted off my Sigmars for a change of pace the other day and turn 1 my general got pin-cushioned half to death.

Though I would argue they'd need to retrofit some sniper style abilities otherwise cheap-rear end Arcane Missile spam wizards behind walls of chaff will be the most obnoxious thing.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
With the leaked rules for death, something has to give on hero sniping. They are taking a very challenged allegiance and making them distinctly worse with these new rules, unless hero targeting gets a complete overhaul.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

TKIY posted:

With the leaked rules for death, something has to give on hero sniping. They are taking a very challenged allegiance and making them distinctly worse with these new rules, unless hero targeting gets a complete overhaul.

I like how 40k does the hero targeting. The main problem was conscript spam with commissars. Totally abused it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gruknor posted:

I like how 40k does the hero targeting. The main problem was conscript spam with commissars. Totally abused it.

Well, and, ya'know. Guilliman :v: But that's GW's classic problem. They make rules that sound fine in a vacuum but they don't design half of their models in context of the actual god drat rules of the game.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 28, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another issue in 40k was characters screening for characters. Which they are fixing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

S.J. posted:

Yeah you'd certainly loving hope so. Otherwise all those undead guys being able to res multiple units won't mean poo poo.

Oh hey, if I'm thinking about Skaven, would it be a good purchase to get the Spire of Dawn starter if I can get ahold of it? I don't even know if I can put all of those models in the same drat list.

e: Also, thanks for answering my questions, guys. It's still blowing my mind just how much loving nothing GW tells people about the game without spending money on the rules. I mean, I work at my FLGS, so I know, but holy poo poo.

If you can get hold of a SoD, given that it's OOP now, the skaven half is almost a 1k army straight out the box, it's amazing value.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If you can get hold of a SoD, given that it's OOP now, the skaven half is almost a 1k army straight out the box, it's amazing value.

I can probably get 2 or 3, so, yeah. Good to know, thanks.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Just finished my first babby game of Aos. Played about 500points of Nurgle Daemons VS. Stormcast. I was kind of down on the plague drones models, but holy crap. If you can keep a hero around them, they put out a lot of attacks and last a really long time.

I was thinking of building into more of a mix of plaguebearers and blight kings, but now I'm thinking to load up on plague drones and maybe a DP or Lord of Affliction to ride with them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This Saturday's pre-orders are up on the community site;

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/28/next-weeks-pre-orders-death-coming-good-way/

Best news? Skullvayne Manse returns.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

I can probably get 2 or 3, so, yeah. Good to know, thanks.

2 will get you two max size units of Clanrats if you want to flood the board with 80 troops.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bonesplitterz feel so weird to play. Each regular Boy is 2W/6+ (5+ in melee). So they play like a horde army but without the actual number of models.

Also they get a special damage table for fighting monsters that make them scary good at killing big stuff even with chaff units.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/28/next-weeks-pre-orders-death-coming-good-way/

gently caress yeah

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

Yeah, it was definitely one of the ones I always wanted and put off buying. Hopefully I won't miss it this time.

• Locked thread