Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah it rules that they're upfront about "Hey we designed and intend for this to be done without Assist Mode, but we recognize there are different kind of gamers out there, so go with god"

This whole game is really warm and friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Chapter 8... um... yeah. Looking forward to the b-side.

A lot of Madelines have been sacrificed for my learning. On the bright side, I am now a strawberry God.

Strawberry 3 and 5 in chapter 8 were hellish. Seriously. In case anyone is interested:

https://imgur.com/YdCANjB
https://imgur.com/bfQZLHF

e: Looking forward to 100% speedruns and watching people snag these first try no problem.

Asclepius fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man that chapter 6 bossfight was tedious as hell, but I have double jump now so I guess it was worth it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

goferchan posted:

People on Steam forums are reaaaaaal salty that you can unlock all the achievements etc using assist mode lol. I'm not gonna use assist mode in Celeste but I respect the devs philosophy in implementing it

this rules, gently caress achievements.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Are b-sides like the dark worlds of SMB? Dificulty-wise it was best to wait until you completed the regular worlds and then go through the dark worlds in order.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mindblast posted:

Are b-sides like the dark worlds of SMB? Dificulty-wise it was best to wait until you completed the regular worlds and then go through the dark worlds in order.

That's a reasonable comparison. Chapter 1 is very easy. Chapter 1-B is not a little harder, it is significantly harder than the next couple story chapters.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Then I'll save them all up and get to them once I completed all the regular stuff. Thanks!

Edit: and my game crashed. boooo. at least I didn't lose a lot of progress.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Got to the top of the mountain last night. The final stretch was incredible, just really well executed by the designers to make you feel as good as possible about what you've accomplished. Game is immediately the best-in-class challenge platformer and well worth the price of entry already even before touching the giant pile of postgame/optional stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This strawberry in Chapter 7 has stumped and frustrated me more than anything else in this game so far even the two B-Sides I've done. How the hell do you do it please someone tell or show me:

E: As I'd hoped the good fortune brought by complaining on the internet finally allowed me to do it after 100 more attempts. That one sucks

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How am I supposed to get up there?

https://twitter.com/IntelligenTom/status/957346454875484160

The dash doesn't reach that car and I can't get enough momentum.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Detective No. 27 posted:

How am I supposed to get up there?

https://twitter.com/IntelligenTom/status/957346454875484160

The dash doesn't reach that car and I can't get enough momentum.

go deeper into the area and there should be a red orb that will shoot you all the way up there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hot diggity. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Only through chapter 3 right now but I’ve done the B-sides (well, working on 3's right now). It’s a definite ramp in difficulty...but if you can handle it I think it’s fine to play them as you unlock them. I figure ultimately it’ll just force you to get better quicker.

For reference off the top of my head my deaths for 1 and 2 were around 90 each, while the B-sides around 250. But I played 1B while out the other day and couldn’t hear the music, so tried again at home and got around 90. So for that one at least, I figure a lot of deaths are just kinda figuring out what you’re supposed to do as opposed to just being harder in execution alone (...although yes, it’s also much harder in that sense too :v:). Like there’s definitely a few screens I remember where I’m just completely lost on how to get past it and trying everything I can think of, then eventually I figure it out and then it’s just a matter of pulling it off.

Hell two examples I just vid capped last night, I think this is from 1B:
https://twitter.com/japtor/status/957201174838431744
Not the best example and not necessarily that hard looking back, but it took me a billion tries to get to that point cause I kept trying diagonal dashes or going higher or whatever, cause it seemed like the straightforward way wasn’t possible when trying that a bunch of times first. Eventually I realized how small the execution window was and I was just sucking :downs:

This one is from 3B, all relatively straightforward cause it’s all laid out there, just gotta do it:
https://twitter.com/japtor/status/957202034385567744

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE STRAWBERRIES

Now the real game begins... at least I've already knocked out 2 B-Sides

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
^5 strawberrybro. I'm really curious if there will be anything after getting all the red hearts. Also slightly terrified.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
this game....is good

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

That Mario 3 reference out of nowhere was great. My girlfriend had been watching me play for a while, and was completely confused about what I did and why it worked.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am up to chapter 3 and this game is very very very good

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Chapter 5 is gigantic. I dunno where i'm supposed to be going but I'm enjoying exploring.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Got 3B done, last screen was actually one of the easier ones (...thank god). Anyway got to check the death counts: 248 for 3, 668 for 3B :stonk:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

japtor posted:

Got 3B done, last screen was actually one of the easier ones (...thank god). Anyway got to check the death counts: 248 for 3, 668 for 3B :stonk:

The B-sides are kinda magical how you get to the last screen and the 8-bit music starts and you feel relief. Only one more obstacle left...

I got 3B done too and it's wiped me out no more today.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I think I'm stuck in Chapter 5.

I can't go back the way I came, and I can't get up this room, the dashing platform doesn't get me high enough. help?

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
There is some amount of weird physics in the game, like trampolining inertia.

Dash down onto the platform, which launches it up, and jump is it reaches the apex, which will boost your jump, and then you can dash up again if needed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I think I'm stuck in Chapter 5.

I can't go back the way I came, and I can't get up this room, the dashing platform doesn't get me high enough. help?

Dash straight down and jump when it's at the apex. It'll fling you like crazy. It's a technique you'll need a lot in this area.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Dash straight down and jump when it's at the apex. It'll fling you like crazy. It's a technique you'll need a lot in this area.

Thank you, I thought I was trying that, but I wasn't getting it right. I've got it now.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

AAAAAAAAAND my game just crashed and I lost all my progress on this level. COOL!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Asclepius posted:

Strawberry 3 and 5 in chapter 8 were hellish. Seriously. In case anyone is interested:

https://imgur.com/YdCANjB
https://imgur.com/bfQZLHF

e: Looking forward to 100% speedruns and watching people snag these first try no problem.

Oh now that I finished Chapter 8 I clicked on these, and I'm very impressed by your performance on #3. When I finally got it, it didn't look nearly as smooth. Also it never occurred to me to use the top bumper, I always went for the bottom which saved a dash but sometimes wouldn't get me far enough if I didn't hit it perfectly.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Well, I was grinding at it for probably 20 minutes, most of my attempts were garbage looking. The last bit of getting the refresh gem, transitioning to ice, bouncing then dashing to the berry was seriously just a blur of reaction, since I had never actually got that far. Amazing how quickly muscle memory can kick in, even for novel situations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

AAAAAAAAAND my game just crashed and I lost all my progress on this level. COOL!

Mine has only crashed once, right as I finished chapter 8. Thankfully it saved. I wonder if the crash reports Nintendo allegedly send to the dev are actually helpful in sorting out these crashes for a future patch. I can see slamming the game out of the frustration of losing progress, when it already feels so precious to advance a screen sometimes.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm debating on getting this on the Switch or PC. The problem with the switch is the controller is not as good the xbox controller. On the otherhand I can play my switch at work so hmm...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm debating on getting this on the Switch or PC. The problem with the switch is the controller is not as good the xbox controller. On the otherhand I can play my switch at work so hmm...
I know there’s a DS4 adapter thing, maybe it works with Xbox or there’s another adapter for it. Best of both worlds!

Or do one of those joycon dpad mods, which I am very very tempted to do cause this game. Although honestly it’s been fine with the analog most of the time (but when it screws up :ughh:). If nothing else I’d kill for octogates like on the GameCube.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Regy Rusty posted:

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE STRAWBERRIES

Now the real game begins... at least I've already knocked out 2 B-Sides

actually you'll find that the real game starts after the B-sides :staredog:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

edit double post

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
What's the deal with ordering the Crystal Hearts in the UI? Is there a specific order once you've found them all to do something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

spongeh posted:

What's the deal with ordering the Crystal Hearts in the UI? Is there a specific order once you've found them all to do something?

So far I've found one blue and red that seem to be an obvious pair but I dunno. It'll probably become clear once one collects them all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

spongeh posted:

dev said no but it seems odd to be able to if so

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SeXReX posted:

dev said no but it seems odd to be able to if so

Huh really? maybe it really is just a fridge magnet poetry thing-- I was expecting a big meta puzzle

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ironically, the most stressful part of this game so far has been the feather breathing thing. I just don't know what the game wants me to do.

Edit: I figured it out. But goddamn are those parts frustrating.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 28, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just finished Chapter 4 and holy gently caress my fingers hurt

then I saw I missed like five strawberries and have to go back for the casette and crystal heart and also im like a quarter through the game's content and then i was madeline in the gondola

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ironically, the most stressful part of this game so far has been the feather breathing thing. I just don't know what the game wants me to do.

Edit: I figured it out. But goddamn are those parts frustrating.

Expect My Mom posted:

I just finished Chapter 4 and holy gently caress my fingers hurt

then I saw I missed like five strawberries and have to go back for the casette and crystal heart and also im like a quarter through the game's content and then i was madeline in the gondola

Just breathe, you can do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gosh, where the gently caress did this amazing game come from. Why wasn't I warned?
Bought it on a whim cause I heard the gameplay was good and blasted through the whole main story in two days, completely absorbed in the story and atmosphere. This is like Hollow Knight all over again. Indie games loving own