Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

hackbunny posted:

I'm horribly tone deaf + my spoken English is awful, but, it looks like it sounds good, too, doesn't it? At least, it's made of parts that sound good

It's really easy to make something sound at least serviceable in reading, which is why you get lots of stupid people who are like "poetry is prose with line breaks when i was 14 i gave a teacher a thing that was prose with line breaks and they, the eternal arbiters of The Poetic, said it was poetry" because generally anything you write it'll sound fine. Honestly inserting line breaks in prose gets you something that at least sounds better than a lot of modern poetry written by people deliberately trying to make poems because it's really easy to gently caress up the sound of something if you're thinking hard about it without actually knowing what you're doing. Someone like Steve Roggenbuck is an example of this where his poetry sounds dreadful because he's trying to be Walt Whitman without any understanding of the sound of poetry that Walt Whitman achieves.

Writing generic "poetry" (something that sounds fine and has nice images) is fairly easy so long as you're not dumb, writing poetry that deserves to be called poetry because of the way sound interlaces with meaning is unbelievably difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

“This guy is the best,” she says, noticing an edition of Kafka’s complete stories; she’s referring to Peter Mendelsund, the book’s designer. “The dream is to have him design my next book."

I'd bet serious money that she owns every Murakami book with a cover designed by Chip Kidd, because they're pretty dope, though maybe don't include enough minimalist pencil sketches and empty space for Instapoets

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Moscow to The End of the Line by Venedikt Erofeev is ludicrously good and I've heard people call it prose poetry

really there's a lot of good books by obscure europeans that get called that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Moscow to The End of the Line by Venedikt Erofeev is ludicrously good and I've heard people call it prose poetry

amazon says thats like 150 pages at which point it definitely just becomes a novel

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's loads of good prose poetry. Mercian Hymns kicks absolute rear end

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Poetry as an art form peaked when the guy from Black Sabbath wrote the line "people think i'm insane because i am frowning all the time"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

personally I'm a fan of Soya's 1960s "A Love Story":

hand in hand
that in hand
hand in that
that in that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The travelogue mention reminds me. A while ago someone posted in here about a travelogue of the Balkans and when the guy got to Slovenia he said something like "I don't belong here, it's too happy here like a western European country." Anyone have an idea what the name of the book is? (that's funny as hell)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

The travelogue mention reminds me. A while ago someone posted in here about a travelogue of the Balkans and when the guy got to Slovenia he said something like "I don't belong here, it's too happy here like a western European country." Anyone have an idea what the name of the book is? (that's funny as hell)

I'm reading Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, which is an extremely cool travel book about the Balkans, however I don't think that's the one you want because the author is a woman but also because she doesn't go to Slovenia. It's really good and worth reading though!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Douk Douk posted:

this is a great story actually, lol I love hearing stories of huge miscommunication between teachers and students that leads to this poo poo

my friend during college took a creative writing poetry class during summer, and one week the teacher wanted everyone to write a fourth of July poem. so my friend just writes this cute, dumb little rhyme about a group of plucky kids firing off roman candles in the middle of the neighborhood on a school night while eating cold hotdogs. one line was something like "torturing the dogs 'til they howled in fear" or something like that, just some clever way of saying "the fireworks were loud and dogs hate loud things"

I swear at first I thought the line referred to the hotdogs, I missed that they were eating them cold, and I thought "that's an original way of describing the whistling sound hotdogs sometimes make when you grill them". Maybe I would give it a low grade because the other descriptions of mundane things weren't as vivid. So there you have it, a second way to misunderstand the poem based on that line

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

A human heart posted:

I'm reading Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, which is an extremely cool travel book about the Balkans, however I don't think that's the one you want because the author is a woman but also because she doesn't go to Slovenia. It's really good and worth reading though!

This sounds really really good to me but I'm not feeling up to a 1k page tome right now

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

This sounds really really good to me but I'm not feeling up to a 1k page tome right now

I just finished reading a part that talked about the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, and there's a very cool passage that imagines the hotel he was in before he left to get shot being filled up by all the thousands of animals he killed in his life time.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
shiiiit I'm gonna buy this book

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DisDisDis posted:

thats from On the Road to Babadag by Andrzej Stasiuk

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
If I want to be less of a heathen and read The Iliad, is there much consensus on a best translation/edition of it? I'm planning on reading it on my Kindle (though if this is a bad idea, I can buy/borrow a hardcover copy).

I've got the version off Project Gutenberg, which was translated by Samuel Butler. Amazon has the the Richmond Lattimore version for free, and a newer one by Caroline Alexander for a price. I'm sure I'd benefit from easily-accessible footnotes and such so I'm leaning toward one of the two Amazon ones.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 27, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've got the version off Project Gutenberg, which was translated by Samuel Butler.

no

quote:

Amazon has the the Richmond Lattimore version for free,

fine

quote:

and a newer one by Caroline Alexander for a price

absolutely not under any circumstances.

Read Lattimore or Fagles. I like Fagles. I think mel likes Lattimore

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

speaking of poetry, I found a copy of June Fourth Elegies by Liu Xiaobo which I’m eager to get into

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

If I want to be less of a heathen and read The Iliad, is there much consensus on a best translation/edition of it? I'm planning on reading it on my Kindle (though if this is a bad idea, I can buy/borrow a hardcover copy).

I've got the version off Project Gutenberg, which was translated by Samuel Butler. Amazon has the the Richmond Lattimore version for free, and a newer one by Caroline Alexander for a price. I'm sure I'd benefit from easily-accessible footnotes and such so I'm leaning toward one of the two Amazon ones.
Butler's translation is ehhhhh. my exposure to Butler was the Iliad transformed into prose which really isn't how the story should be told and quite a bit of the rhythm was lost. ebook vs. hardcover doesn't really matter as long as you're sure to read everything aloud to yourself, as it is an oral poem first and foremost. bonus points if you go the full mile and bang a giant staff to a constant beat while hollering it.

I've read parts of Lattimore's Iliad and all of Fagles', and by far had a lot more fun with Fagles. if you just want to choose between lattimore and butler definitely go with lattimore.

I can see Lattimore being the standard in most universities because it's very direct and specific, but when read aloud as the Iliad should be, Fagles' words really bounce off of each other and create such passionate imagery. both are excellent though and so it comes mostly to preference, if you like literalness or flowery prose more.

here's Lattimore's translation of early on in book I:

quote:

'Smintheus, if ever it pleased your heart that I built your temple,
if ever it pleased you that I burned all the rich thigh pieces
of bulls, of goats, then bring to pass this wish I pray for:
let your arrows make the Danaans pay for my tears shed.'
So he spoke in prayer, and Phoibos Apollo heard him,
and strode down along the pinnacles of Olympos, angered
in his heart, carrying across his shoulders the bow and the hooded
quiver; and the shafts clashed on the shoulders of the god walking
angrily. He came as night comes down and knelt then
apart and opposite the ships and let go an arrow.
Terrible was the clash that rose from the bow of silver.

and here's Fagles':

quote:

"Smintheus, god of the plague!
If I ever roofed a shrine to please your heart,
ever burned the long rich bones of bulls and goats
on your holy altar, now, now bring my prayer to pass.
Pay the Danaans back-your arrows for my tears!"
His prayer went up and Phoebus Apollo heard him.
Down he strode from Olympus' peaks, storming at heart
with his bow and hooded quiver slung across his shoulders.
The arrows clanged at his back as the god quaked with rage.
the god himself on the march and down he came like night.
Over against the ships he dropped to a knee, let fly a shaft
and a terrifying clash rang out from the great silver bow.

Fitzgerald is also a good translation. Caroline Alexander can suck a fat bronze spear. Alexander Pope's translation is a mangled bastard mongrel version of the original Iliad that might as well rewrite the entire story, but an extremely well-written and gorgeous bastard mongrel that you might want to check out if you're still interested after finishing one of the actually good translations.

hackbunny posted:

I swear at first I thought the line referred to the hotdogs, I missed that they were eating them cold, and I thought "that's an original way of describing the whistling sound hotdogs sometimes make when you grill them". Maybe I would give it a low grade because the other descriptions of mundane things weren't as vivid. So there you have it, a second way to misunderstand the poem based on that line

to his credit he wrote the poem in like 10 minutes and pulled some fairly clever rhymes out of his rear end in that short span of time and that's the most I can say about it lol

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 28, 2018

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
How can anyone argue that the first version is better... Is the second guy playing fast and loose with the meanings or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

derp posted:

that dinosaur example of poetry is what has always confused me about what poetry actually is. I remember i had a creative writing class in like, 10th grade and i couldn't get my teacher to explain to me what makes something a poem. so for a poem i had to write for an assignment, i just wrote out a paragraph about how i didn't understand what poetry was, spaced it out to have the shape of a poem, and turned it in and got full credit for it. I was kind of hoping he would explain to me why it wasn't poetry but i guess it was.

so since then i've always had a vague understand of of poetry as being 'prose with weird line breaks'

bukowski might be more your thing then

i'm not crazy about him but sometimes he doesn't give a poo poo about anything so hard it wraps back around and becomes incisive

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

derp posted:

How can anyone argue that the first version is better... Is the second guy playing fast and loose with the meanings or something?

pretty much. both translations are much more faithful to the original dactylic hexameter that the poem was written in than Pope or Butler. I think Lattimore's translation is only as popular as Fagles' mainly because Fagles' wasn't published until 40-ish years later and is still the university standard, and yeah Fagles plays pretty loose with the beats sometimes, but makes up for it with stellar visuals.

Pope's version straight-up buttfucks the original poem's beats, but god drat is it beautiful.

quote:

Patroclus mark'd him as he shunn'd the war,
And with unmanly tremblings shook the car,
And dropp'd the flowing reins. Him 'twixt the jaws,
The javelin sticks, and from the chariot draws.
As on a rock that overhangs the main,
An angler, studious of the line and cane,
Some mighty fish draws panting to the shore:
Not with less ease the barbed javelin bore
The gaping dastard; as the spear was shook,
He fell, and life his heartless breast forsook.
Next on Eryalus he flies; a stone,
Large as a rock, was by his fury thrown:
Full on his crown the ponderous fragment flew,
And burst the helm, and cleft the head in two:
Prone to the ground the breathless warrior fell,
And death involved him with the shades of hell.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Aside from the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid, the poems I'm most interested in reading are the works of William Blake.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

william blake was a wonderful goofy lunatic. his poems are the only ones I've read that manage to instill in my blackened poo poo heart a nostalgic sense of childlike awe and wonder.

I recommend The Portable Blake for 2 reasons: one is that it has an absolutely phenomenal 60-page write-up of Blake's biography, giving you a great background as to who he was and what his life was like, and two is that it has Songs of Innocence and Experience in their entirety, which is unquestionably his best work. the rest of the book are some of his illustrations and the rest of his major works, which will give you a great perspective on just how crazy Blake really was.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Appreciate all the info on Iliad translations. I think I'll go with Fagles probably.

What's so bad about Caroline Alexander's version? Just wondering.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
While you're on about translations, I don't need anything for Greek or Latin because I wasted my time taking classical languages in school, but where should I look for a good translation of the Divine Comedy? Not just Inferno, I want the whole thing. I don't want it to take too many liberties with the original Italian, but if a direct translation can't sound florid enough, I'll permit a bit of creative interpretation.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Alvarez IV posted:

While you're on about translations, I don't need anything for Greek or Latin because I wasted my time taking classical languages in school, but where should I look for a good translation of the Divine Comedy? Not just Inferno, I want the whole thing. I don't want it to take too many liberties with the original Italian, but if a direct translation can't sound florid enough, I'll permit a bit of creative interpretation.

Allen Mandelbaum does a stylish pentameter one, Robin Kirkpatrick's for Penguin is also good and is facing page with notes, so as a book is probably better.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

If you have Latin then Italian shouldn't be too hard for you to pick up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Douk Douk posted:

william blake was a wonderful goofy lunatic. his poems are the only ones I've read that manage to instill in my blackened poo poo heart a nostalgic sense of childlike awe and wonder.

I recommend The Portable Blake for 2 reasons: one is that it has an absolutely phenomenal 60-page write-up of Blake's biography, giving you a great background as to who he was and what his life was like, and two is that it has Songs of Innocence and Experience in their entirety, which is unquestionably his best work. the rest of the book are some of his illustrations and the rest of his major works, which will give you a great perspective on just how crazy Blake really was.

poo poo I was gonna say exactly that. It's especially great for someone new to Blake.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

portable blake is going on my list

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i put a blake collection on my kindle a while back but i was going through a real bad depressive episode at the time and was fixated on the idea that i was getting too old to accomplish anything meaningful in life and i read the intro to the e-book and it said some of the poems were written when he was like 16 and i turned my kindle off and havent touched it since

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Whenever I feel like that I think of Laurence Sterne who wrote his first published works when he was 46 and went on to pretty much transform all of English-language literature

(I hope you're not over 46, Tim)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Forktoss posted:

Whenever I feel like that I think of Laurence Sterne who wrote his first published works when he was 46 and went on to pretty much transform all of English-language literature

(I hope you're not over 46, Tim)

Saramago first gained success at the age of 55 and went on to enjoy universal acclaim and a Nobel

Lampedusa wrote his only novel at 58 but sadly didn't get to enjoy the fruits of that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alvarez IV posted:

Durling and Martinez are good translators but unpoetic, Clive James did a worthy job but restricted himself to couplet rhyme and took lots of liberties (for the better in most cases, IMO). Try the James, but the Durling & Martinez set has incredible annotations and essays if you're interested in studying further.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Alvarez IV posted:

Robin Kirkpatrick dammit!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Appreciate all the info on Iliad translations. I think I'll go with Fagles probably.

What's so bad about Caroline Alexander's version? Just wondering.

Alexander's, like literally 4 other translations released this decade, are pretty much lovely copies of Lattimore's translation where she gives her own "personal touches" at the cost of completely ruining the flow. she gets bonus poo poo points for marketing her translations literally on the sole fact that it's A WOMAN TRANSLATING THE ILIAD????? and not the merit that it's actually a good translation. which it isn't.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
she's also convinced that the poem is essentially an anti-war polemic and adjusts the wording to conform to that interpretation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Remains of the Day was pretty good. I wasn't expecting the sentimental turn near the end.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Finally got a hold of Lincoln in the Bardo and it's so good, finishing makes me want more. Then I remembered I've only read an abridged copy of Gogol's Dead Souls. Tracking down a more complete version of that should satisfy nicely.

Anyone know of a good translation for that?

E. gently caress while looking it up I realized I was actually thinking of Bobok by Dostoyevsky, but reading more Gogol would also be good.

VV Thanks

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 29, 2018

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Guerney was the only translation that Nabokov thought was worth a drat fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Epitaph of a Small Winner is another fun corpse book.