Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's the problem with casters exactly? I expect there's some subtle performance issue which obviously means it's all lovely gently caress poo poo trash for poo poo gently caress poo poo poo poo fuckers, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I play Bard so I'm biased but YoshiP good

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nessus posted:

What's the problem with casters exactly? I expect there's some subtle performance issue which obviously means it's all lovely gently caress poo poo trash for poo poo gently caress poo poo poo poo fuckers, of course.

black mage struggles a bit but summoner and red mage kick all sorts of rear end. BLM has fixes coming tuesday. There's nothing wrong with casters right now to any major extent.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Okay, so, the required ilevel for the new Omega wing is a lot higher than I expected, so I gotta figure out how to gear up quick. Will saving up my verity and exchanging it all for creation on patch day work for getting me some catchup gear, or is there some kind of flaw with that plan that I'm not seeing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zinkraptor posted:

Okay, so, the required ilevel for the new Omega wing is a lot higher than I expected, so I gotta figure out how to gear up quick. Will saving up my verity and exchanging it all for creation on patch day work for getting me some catchup gear, or is there some kind of flaw with that plan that I'm not seeing?

you'll be able to get 500 creation for 2000 verity. With creation being unlocked it shouldn't take too long to grab up 330 pieces to fill out any ilevel gaps you have. Not to mention 320 stuff will be basically freely available from omega normal since it will be unlocked (get a party to farm instead of DFing it)

Edit: If you get 7 goons that don't need gear to run with you through omega normal on tuesday you can get guaranteed 1 accessory, boots, gloves, and a helm for just a single run of 1-4 and with a couple more 3/4 runs you can get chest/legs. With lucky drops you can get legs on one go, too, and just need 2-3 runs of 4.0 to get the chest. That's a shitload of 320 gear, and then you can use a bit of creation to fill out to 325 for sigmascape. Can probably get a weapon from goons if you need.

Basically on tuesday it will be super duper easy to get geared up for 4.2.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 28, 2018

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They trade at a 4:1 ratio so it might get you an extra piece of gear or maybe spending them on the items to upgrade the Creation gear.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, what's the min ilvl for Omega normal?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Arist posted:

Wait, what's the min ilvl for Omega normal?

Item Level Requirement Average item level 325 or above

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Maguoob posted:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Here's a question about iLevel stuff: I saw something about premades being able to waive item levels for things like Skalla? What's up with that? The text is kind of vague.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Wait are we talking about o1-4? I figured it was for the ones, you know, coming out in less than a week.

Nessus posted:

Here's a question about iLevel stuff: I saw something about premades being able to waive item levels for things like Skalla? What's up with that? The text is kind of vague.

As long as you meet the party size requirements you can queue at any ilvl. It just means you if you have find someone via DF than you must meet the min ilvl requirement. This is also why you can't avoid the limit on 24 mans.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nessus posted:

As long as your party meets the size requirements for you're queuing for, you ignore all party ilevel and position requirements. Basically people can go to stuff in sub-par gear or with non-standard comps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maguoob posted:

Wow, I just hit that a week or two ago. Higher than I would've guessed, yikes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, she comes back? I thought her crying over the peace ceremony was the conclusion of her thing.

I mean, it was. Calling what happens with her in the DRK quest line the "conclusion" of her storyline is disingenuous. It's more of an epilogue.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Arist posted:

Wow, I just hit that a week or two ago. Higher than I would've guessed, yikes.

Since HW it has actually been pretty easy to guess requirements anyways for the same type of dungeon. Take whatever ilvl is dropped by the current dungeon, the next one is more than that because gently caress you. Since O1-4 is i320 gear there was no way O5-8 would equal or lower to that.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Ivalice has been dropping 330 for about 3 months now, and you've had 6 months to get 330 tome gear, and Ivalice letting you upgrade that to 340. And after the patch there will be no loot limit in Rabanastre, so getting 325 should be pretty easy.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

casters are perfectly fine for clearing content. it's just, if you care about numbers and performance, casters are all at the bottom. the only reason to bring a caster right now (and 4.2 changes this not at all) is to have extra raises to take pressure off of your healers.

ff14 is a game designed around classes being mostly homogeneous. there are subtle differences in feel when playing, but in the end the only thing that differentiates a dragoon from a black mage is how much damage they contribute. and all of the casters are below the physical dps, both ranged and melee.

this isn't to say ff14 is a horribly unbalanced game - the differences we are taling about are within single digit percentages - it's just annoying if you are a raider who plays at or near the high end (mind you, imo, most of the loudest complainers aren't anywhere near being considered high end, myself included).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gotta figure the new EXDR dungeons will drop 325 too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sarrisan posted:

ff14 is a game designed around classes being mostly homogeneous. there are subtle differences in feel when playing, but in the end the only thing that differentiates a dragoon from a black mage is how much damage they contribute.

uhhhhhh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isk posted:

uhhhhhh

Total party damage they enable might be better, idk.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Total party damage they enable might be better, idk.

i mean, what else is there?

in an ff14 fight you:

- perform mechanics and dodge or mitigate damage
- hit the bos with damage until it is dead

everything else is fluff. sure addle and mana shift are nice, but are they nicer than just killing the boss faster? only if the use of those abilities are absolutely needed. otherwise it's just window dressing.

edit: maybe i should say this as someone who loves blm and plays it in basically everything but current-tier savage.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 28, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real difference between classes is that some are cool and some are lame.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

need some coolness power rankings in here.

blm obviously #1
gonna say monk for #2

paladin is the nerd that warrior and drk bullied in middle school.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

cheetah7071 posted:

All classes are lame.

Jobs are cool though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragoon and summoner top the charts as the only classes that shoot dragon lasers

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Dragoon and summoner top the charts as the only classes that shoot dragon lasers

a strong argument.

stronger than constant explosions and kamehamehas? i'm skeptical.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Maguoob posted:

Since HW it has actually been pretty easy to guess requirements anyways for the same type of dungeon. Take whatever ilvl is dropped by the current dungeon, the next one is more than that because gently caress you. Since O1-4 is i320 gear there was no way O5-8 would equal or lower to that.

o1-4 is 295
o1s-4 is 310-320

the question was what's the ilvl for omega, not sigma

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

On the topic of Dragon Lasers. I really hate the Nastrond sound. Geirskogul has this great "pow" every time you use it, but Nastrond just sounds like weak baby poo poo.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Phone posted:

o1-4 is 295
o1s-4 is 310-320

the question was what's the ilvl for omega, not sigma

The question wasn't for the ilvl of Delta either, so assuming Sigma is perfectly reasonable (and probably correct) given it's something a lot of people would want to know before patch hits.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
vOv

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I have discovered the Augmented Boltkeep's Dreadnought and now my birb and I are matching. :kimchi:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sarrisan posted:

a strong argument.

stronger than constant explosions and kamehamehas? i'm skeptical.

If only we could aim the kamehamehas up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Y'all bitch too much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, Riddle of Earth applies the GL extension after you get hit, not just by popping the skill.

Well, guess you're never getting used.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

And I was just complaining about YoshiP being a middling designer who gets way too many free passes because he managed to stick together a decent MMO with the full resources of a giant company behind him. Half-assed updates, casters being back in the dumpster (just delete them and make Melee and Bard Fantasy already), and flailing random-rear end job overhauls are strangling any goodwill I had for the dev team personally.

On Exodus at least, >3/4 of the DPS I see are casters with the occasional Bard and MCH mixed in. I've been leveling WHM recently so I've done lots of 8 and 24 mans, and it's fairly common to have parties without a single melee.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking as someone who is middle aged and horrible at video games: a lot of that is because melee is just too loving hard to play right now. If you're young and have good latency then it's not that bad, but even then you tend to have to pay attention to lots of little things (maintaining buffs and debuffs, choosing the right combo(s), being in the right facing for particular attacks, managing TP during AOE, etc) and you tend to get hosed over hard if you mess any of it up. And god forbid you have more than 150 latency or something and try to do NIN mudras or double weave oGCDs whatever.

I'm sure someone is going to swoop in and go "but akshually melee is super easy you scrub!" and sure, I guess? I already said I'm horrible. But casters have to keep track of less stuff and are generally a lot more relaxing to play, outliers like current BLM in heavy movement battles aside. Even BRD and MCH are closer to the melee sort of juggling right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

And I was just complaining about YoshiP being a middling designer who gets way too many free passes because he managed to stick together a decent MMO with the full resources of a giant company behind him. Half-assed updates, casters being back in the dumpster (just delete them and make Melee and Bard Fantasy already), and flailing random-rear end job overhauls are strangling any goodwill I had for the dev team personally.

MMO fanbases are the worst

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Huh, Riddle of Earth applies the GL extension after you get hit, not just by popping the skill.

You put that skill back on your hotbar or so help me God.

It's actually really useful for when a boss jumps or otherwise forces you to move away.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

You put that skill back on your hotbar or so help me God.

It's actually really useful for when a boss jumps or otherwise forces you to move away.

yeah riddle of earth is one of the more useful skills monk got in stormblood. pop it for unavoidable damage

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

One of the most wrong things ever said in this thread.