Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Dropped by my local goodwill and they actually had a very clean Genesis model 1 (the later with out HD audio or whatever written on it). Paired with 3 great condition controllers and a Nintendo power brick, but no video. They wanted $30 which looks to be reasonable compared to eBay prices. I was tempted to grab it but with my small genesis collection an already having a retrogen and retron5, I left it. Don’t want to deal with doing any mods to get better than composite and not too interested in buying more genesis games. But that was promising since it was my first time at this goodwill since moving here a year ago. Had a bunch of Wii’s and a 360 as well. So will continue to drop by there periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Dropped by my local goodwill and they actually had a very clean Genesis model 1 (the later with out HD audio or whatever written on it). Paired with 3 great condition controllers and a Nintendo power brick, but no video. They wanted $30 which looks to be reasonable compared to eBay prices. I was tempted to grab it but with my small genesis collection an already having a retrogen and retron5, I left it. Don’t want to deal with doing any mods to get better than composite and not too interested in buying more genesis games. But that was promising since it was my first time at this goodwill since moving here a year ago. Had a bunch of Wii’s and a 360 as well. So will continue to drop by there periodically.

Anywhere near Los Angeles? Long shot I know but I’ve been looking for a decent condition Genesis for a while now and that’d be exactly what I was looking for.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Rollersnake posted:

I recently replayed PS1 Lunar 2 and think it's held up well for the most part. The wacky translation works more often than not, it's still a fun cast of characters with lots of good party banter, and the gameplay isn't too mindless or too difficult. There are some homophobic jokes—along the lines of Jean telling a kid she's worried he'll grow up to be an interior decorator—but they're mild enough and infrequent enough that they didn't ruin it for me. (And that particular example sticks in my memory because it's weirdly out of character for Jean, probably the most likeable character in the game, and one of the more progressive female characters I can think of from JRPGs of that era.)

Japan still isn't over homophobic jokes in JRPGs. Not to open :worms: but even Persona 5 is guilty of it I think with the trip to the beach where the main dudes get hit on by a couple of gay predators. Just kind of tropey to lean on the predator thing for a gag.

To the discussion of PS1 RPGs I remember loving Legaia when I was a kid. I got it in maybe the 5th grade, printed out all the move-lists for the characters and had them in a binder that I discussed with my friends at school. Since the game didn't really have a big following I always felt like the game was "mine." Playground discussions of FFVII were amazing as well, but Legaia felt like a secret world just for me.

Not sure what else really holds up well for first timers. Xenogears definitely feels too slow but the story is still pretty ambitious for the time I think. I always stop playing after getting tired of running around the super long cave dungeons not knowing where to go. Playing with a guide might help speed things along.

Front Mission 3 is a bit repetitive but I think holds up relatively well. The in-game internet is really interesting for it's time but you really have to dig into it.

Anyone have any opinions on the PS1 Breath of Fire games? I got the PSP port of 3 but I think 4 was generally considered the better game.

I also remember really enjoying the wackiness of Thousand Arms when I was a young pubescent boy. I doubt it holds up at all though.

Slightly off topic but has anyone played the recent Romancing Saga 2 port?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm actually playing Xenogears right now, but that mostly because I did play that back in the late 90s and think again in the early 00s. Still enjoy the game a lot, even through still think disc 2 is just a sad state.

And about Beyond the Beyond, didn't the useless party member look like a Potato for some reason? I can only remember him and some party member you get back like 9/10 into the game who a black knight now or something. Man my dad loved that game, then again he loved the original Breath of Fire 1 a lot. Shame he doesn't play JRPGs anymore, only playing Civilization Revolution daily.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I was actually going to mention Front Mission 3 before I saw Pegnose Pete's post, but I really love that game. It's a tactical mecha RPG, so it's closer to Final Fantasy Tactics then it is a mainline JRPG, but it's fun and looks pretty good for a PS1 game. The story's not too bad, either, and between the two story modes it's a good but not too long game. I like any game that lets you build your own murder robots, and it's good for that.

Also, the 90's internet stuff is the loving best. I have no idea why the developers thought adding a fake internet to their game was a good idea, but it's amazing. Just feel free to look up a guide for how to poke around it.

Also, as much as I love Xenogears, don't play Xenogears. It's long and you'll know exactly when Square stole all of the dev team's money to throw at FF8. That said, you should watch or read an LP, as it has an interesting (and very 90's anime) story and some neat gameplay mechanics. Also, the soundtrack is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dKpeTEBYIA

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pablo Gigante posted:

Can’t believe you’re emulating GC games instead of mining with that baby

I'm seriously considering selling my 1070, they're going for like $700 used on ebay.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Not sure what else really holds up well for first timers. Xenogears definitely feels too slow but the story is still pretty ambitious for the time I think. I always stop playing after getting tired of running around the super long cave dungeons not knowing where to go. Playing with a guide might help speed things along.

Played through Xenogears back when it came out and all I remember, other than the battles being cool, was reading hours and hours of text.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm seriously considering selling my 1070, they're going for like $700 used on ebay.

this is a derail but is there any information on if/when new 10 series cards will become available to normal people again? I'm getting really sick of my GTX 550ti. I was planning on getting a 1080 and then they all disappeared from newegg. are people who play games basically forever condemned to buy used cards that have been mining internet money 24/7 for months at huge markups ?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rirse posted:

And about Beyond the Beyond, didn't the useless party member look like a Potato for some reason? I can only remember him and some party member you get back like 9/10 into the game who a black knight now or something. Man my dad loved that game, then again he loved the original Breath of Fire 1 a lot. Shame he doesn't play JRPGs anymore, only playing Civilization Revolution daily.

Potato-looking guy was Tont, an optional character. He was a kid who got transformed into some kind of monster, and I remember him being a not-terrible mage. Samson was the party member who was cursed to be dead weight. And I'm pretty sure he had the highest attack power of anyone in your party, on the occasion he actually got to successfully attack, which was especially frustrating.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Oh man, I just saw that Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom is on GOG. I played so much of it as a kid, time to see if it's as good as I remember.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Anywhere near Los Angeles? Long shot I know but I’ve been looking for a decent condition Genesis for a while now and that’d be exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry, 45 min outside of Washington DC.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

d0s posted:

this is a derail but is there any information on if/when new 10 series cards will become available to normal people again? I'm getting really sick of my GTX 550ti. I was planning on getting a 1080 and then they all disappeared from newegg. are people who play games basically forever condemned to buy used cards that have been mining internet money 24/7 for months at huge markups ?

It’ll settle out and more stock will come in, I wouldn’t worry. My friend sold his 1080 for $1250 and the next day they were already down to $900 (so the buyer conveniently asked for a refund before he shipped). It’s just volatile for the moment as people freak out.

That said I find it hilarious that 10 years ago when I considered mining I read that it was too saturated to be worth it. Same thing years later, and then again years later. Oh well, I’m not jumping in now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Japan still isn't over homophobic jokes in JRPGs. Not to open :worms: but even Persona 5 is guilty of it I think with the trip to the beach where the main dudes get hit on by a couple of gay predators. Just kind of tropey to lean on the predator thing for a gag.

I'd pin Lunar 2's particular example on Working Designs incredibly loose translation crap than the actual script of the game, considering they're not above putting really stupid jokes in.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is Grandia 2 actually a good game? I have it on Dreamcast but havent played more than 10 minutes in because surprise, I was incredibly annoyed by the main guy's spunky and radical voice acting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TeaJay posted:

Is Grandia 2 actually a good game? I have it on Dreamcast but havent played more than 10 minutes in because surprise, I was incredibly annoyed by the main guy's spunky and radical voice acting.

Yes, Grandia 2 is actually a very good game.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WELP! I stripped a screw trying to take apart the ray shielding to an Atari 2600. I gotta get it off so I can clean cart slot. :(

Any ideas?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

d0s posted:

Barring bitcoin somehow perpetually climbing, everything will normalize soon enough and you're going to see thousands of used graphics cards all over ebay for ridiculously low prices.

BigRed0427 posted:

WELP! I stripped a screw trying to take apart the ray shielding to an Atari 2600. I gotta get it off so I can clean cart slot. :(

Any ideas?

vice grips, drill it out, cut off the head of the screw, cut a slot in the top so a flathead can get at it, etc

https://lifehacker.com/5901738/how-to-remove-screws-with-stripped-heads

Probably depends how much torque you need to get it out of there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2hl3Zfi6Q

If you have a drill screw extractor bits work great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Barring bitcoin somehow perpetually climbing, everything will normalize soon enough and you're going to see thousands of used graphics cards all over ebay for ridiculously low prices.
Buying a used GPU after a crypto mining bubble seems like an excessively bad idea, unless you like buying heat-damaged, burned-out cards.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The problem with most PS1 rpgs is that they are incredibly slow. Super long unskippable animations every time you get in a battle? Long FMVs that look like poo poo and were translated terribly? Just a lot of wasted time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've been playing a fan translation of the Phantasy Star Generation 1 remake on the PS2 lately and it's got me falling in love with simple old style jRPGs again. It's not overly complicated, it's got a decent story, and it's just fun. A few years ago I did the same with a fan translation of the super famicom remake of dragon quest 1 & 2. Simple jRPGs with "modern" quality of life stuff like an action button instead of hunting through menus to open doors and go down the stairs. Good stuff! Any recommendations for when I finish PSG1 and 2? They don't have to be remakes, just looking for any jRPGs for any system really that don't become annoying with their control schemes, and are actually good.

Edit: and don't take 100 hours to get through

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 28, 2018

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Kins posted:

Buying a used GPU after a crypto mining bubble seems like an excessively bad idea, unless you like buying heat-damaged, burned-out cards.

Yeah gonna be a rough used card market for quite a while.

Either way, it'll drive down prices and gamers should be able to get them for msrp easily enough.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Thousand Arms is an okay-ish game that I'd probably feel like a creep if I ever played it again. The whole teenage dating sim angle kind of loses its luster in your mid-30s.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m really glad I built a new gaming PC two years ago before people went insane

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

I actually did the walk around of various thrift stores in my area a few times. No one had any real electronics to speak of unfortunately. I think Retro gamers have picked those places clean here.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My best (and only, really) retro pickup from a thrift shop was a CIB copy of Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron from Goodwill

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'f your into vinyl records of old soundtracks, polka and country music, my Salvation Army has you covered.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BigRed0427 posted:

I'f your into vinyl records of old soundtracks, polka and country music, my Salvation Army has you covered.

They have seriously the worst records for sale at goodwill and salvation army.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Salvation Army near me is always stocked with Boz Scaggs LPs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My "best" retro pickup from a second hand shop was a copy of Soldier of Fortune for PC, in a DVD style case, for five bucks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I picked up several years ago Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS2) from the pawnshop by my work for five dollars when it was going for 60 used at Gamestop.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I haven't had a decent pickup in years but my best was probably finding LoZ: Oracle of Ages and SMB Advance for $1 each.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got a ps2 at a thrift store for $8 with a "broken" drive door a couple of months ago. A little lithium grease solved that one. My local shop has a SNES with 2 controllers for $70, and the one by my work has a Dreamcast with 8 sports games, 2 controllers, and a couple VMUs for $100. Also if you ever wanted a Wii fit balance board, guitar controllers, dj hero controllers, and DDR mats, thrift stores have piles of them. Salt Lake City area.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 28, 2018

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

d0s posted:

If you live near a microcenter they'll negotiate graphics cards prices with you. If you're buying parts to build or substantially upgrade your existing system or depending on the manager just buy one and promise it's for gaming they'll adjust the price down to around MSRP.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Rollersnake posted:

I recently replayed PS1 Lunar 2 and think it's held up well for the most part. The wacky translation works more often than not, it's still a fun cast of characters with lots of good party banter, and the gameplay isn't too mindless or too difficult. There are some homophobic jokes—along the lines of Jean telling a kid she's worried he'll grow up to be an interior decorator—but they're mild enough and infrequent enough that they didn't ruin it for me. (And that particular example sticks in my memory because it's weirdly out of character for Jean, probably the most likeable character in the game, and one of the more progressive female characters I can think of from JRPGs of that era.)

Working Designs caught some crap over that particular joke when Lunar 2 came out. I remember Shidoshi (former GameFan writer, now in charge of EGM) yelling at Vic Ireland on Usenet. Even the people who normally liked WD localizations went "Nah, Jean wouldn't say that."

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

I was actually going to mention Front Mission 3 before I saw Pegnose Pete's post, but I really love that game. It's a tactical mecha RPG, so it's closer to Final Fantasy Tactics then it is a mainline JRPG, but it's fun and looks pretty good for a PS1 game. The story's not too bad, either, and between the two story modes it's a good but not too long game. I like any game that lets you build your own murder robots, and it's good for that.

Front Mission 3 has a lot to offer in gameplay, but man, did I hate the boring main character and his dipshit friend. Of all the games NOT to off the hero's buddy for dramatic impact in the first few hours...

There are some interesting strategy-RPGs on the PS1 margins. Kartia is kinda neat, and so are the Vandal Hearts games. Tactics Ogre is interesting but seriously outdone by the PSP remake (or even the SFC fan translation, which doesn't have the PS1 version's load times). I never made it more than an hour into Hoshigami.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Koudelka is interesting even though the battle system is complete garbo. It's the start of the Shadow Hearts series.

Vagrant Story in spite of being obtuse a lot of the time it's ridiculous impressive from a technical point and the plot/setting's pretty good.

Brave Fencer Musashiden is forever stuck on the PS1; at least Valkyrie Profile got a PSP port.

I only played the first Vandal Hearts game in 2006 or so and I had a good time with it. Nothing noteworthy, but worth a play if you already tried everything else.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

d0s posted:

nowinstock.net does the whole 10 series now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I do wonder how Vandal Heats would be if I played it again. I remember playing it and beating it around release, but never touch it ever again since.

Also bummed Musashi never got put on the PSN, as I love that game and SaGa Frontier a lot on the PS1 but they and Valkyrie Profile got ignored by Square when it came to put their back catalog up.

Speaking of Valkire Profile, since I am using a PSP Go to play the PS1 games on the tv with the OSSC, which version would better to use; the PS1 original or the PSP re-release? The PSP release would have to be scale up with the tv internal zoom since that the one thing the OSSC lacks over the Framemeister.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I finished Lunar:SSSC on PS1 last summer, then went straight to Lunar2:EBC and holy Jesus was the translation bad at points.

So many terrible jokes about women and the gays.

Clarity: I own Lunar on the SegaCD, so I was used to the bad jokes thanks to Kyle and Jessica's love-hate thing going on.

But fuuuuuuck it's like everyone in EBC gets to poo poo on ladies at some point.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Vic Ireland recently claimed that Lunar 2's original localization script was full of misogynistic jokes due to writer Zach Meston going through a breakup just before working on it.

The PSP version of Valkyrie Profile has some weird dithering/blurring effect when it's in motion. I don't know if that would carry over to a TV display or not.

If we're talking action-RPGs on the PS1, I love Vagrant Story and Threads of Fate. Polar opposites in tone and complexity, but both excellent. Brave Fencer Musashi is also fun, especially the action figure collecting.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I will never forget my best secondhand purchase. It was a fifty-cent copy of Tennis (torn label) for the NES that I bought from a pawn shop, only to crack it open a month later for cleaning and discover it’s a Gyromite cart with a famicom converter inside.