Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elizabethan Error posted:

phage(the root word) is pronounced PHAY-juh, so it's understandable why that's being mispronounced with a soft f.
Phagocytosis is pronounced with a hard f however(as in flag)

Are you talking about the 'a' sound? The f is the same either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

phage(the root word) is pronounced PHAY-juh, so it's understandable why that's being mispronounced with a soft f.
Phagocytosis is pronounced with a hard f however(as in flag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x82z0QKlRA

Do you mean soft/hard g?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
ITT goons don't know what it sounds like to F hard :mmmhmm:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

Do you mean soft/hard g?
yes :ssh:

kimbo305 posted:

Are you talking about the 'a' sound? The f is the same either case.
apparently i'm not :?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Strudel Man posted:

I think it's typically used by alien or extradimensional creatures masquerading as one of us, as in, "Greetings, fellow humans."

I use it a lot with my wife, because they’re both non-binary and an Undertale fan.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

it's Magemage, you're both being redundant

<hides under his desk in the hopes a mod doesn't stop by>

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Since we're on the topic, I'd like to confirm something. When someone adopts a new gender identity, do you use that identity when referring to events in the past when they had not yet done so?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The most notable case I can think of is that they still refer to Bruce Jenner's Olympic achievements.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Idg the phagocytosis one, how do you pronounce that word for it to make a class giggle?!

Maybe it's because I'm a) not a native English speaker and b) a biologist, but I don't see what's so funny about it :confused:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Volcott posted:

Since we're on the topic, I'd like to confirm something. When someone adopts a new gender identity, do you use that identity when referring to events in the past when they had not yet done so?

Case by case basis. Although those that don't like it refer to it, perjatorively, as deadnaming.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Idg the phagocytosis one, how do you pronounce that word for it to make a class giggle?!

Maybe it's because I'm a) not a native English speaker and b) a biologist, but I don't see what's so funny about it :confused:

Imagine the first syllable being heard as a homophobic slur.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh that's it? Disappointing.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

It varies. Some trans people don't mind and some would rather you use the "new" gender identity for everything.

Samizdata posted:

Case by case basis. Although those that don't like it refer to it, perjatorively, as deadnaming.

Deadnaming is actually just using the trans person's old name! We uh we don't like it when you do that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Oh that's it? Disappointing.

Yeah, innit?

dovetaile posted:

Deadnaming is actually just using the trans person's old name! We uh we don't like it when you do that.

Sorry about that. I clearly did NOT grok in fullness.

The trans woman I used to date was confusing. She used a gender-shifted spelling of her previous name (which sounded exactly the same).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's not that uncommon tbh, or at least wasn't with the people I knew. Using a feminised/masculine version of their name, or a name with the same initial, was a running thing. Pretty amazing at many people going through that knew one another, but given the relative scope in England (when I was familiar with the support network it was Charington Cross or nothing, effectively) I suppose that isn't too surprising.

Though the trans hive mind was slain sometime during the gender proxy war of 87, so there's a lot of individuality.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Volcott posted:

I’m far from an expert, but as I understand it you should think of their current status as who they always were on the inside and so only refer to them as such. You wouldn’t say “the Wachowski brothers made The Matrix in 1999,” because they were always women. At the time most people identified them as men, but with hindsight we know that was a mistake and shouldn’t perpetuate it now that we know better.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

In that particular case, you can always just refer to them as the Wachowskis, which is what they go by professionally now. Nice neutral phrase.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Didn't Caitlyn Jenner say in an interview that she's proud of what she accomplished as Bruce and thinks people getting pissy about other people deadnaming her is stupid?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
You could add a side note, where and when appropriate, that X happened while they were still using their former public identity.

Not appropriate in all cases, of course; it's more of a comprehensive biography situation.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Didn't Caitlyn Jenner say in an interview that she's proud of what she accomplished as Bruce and thinks people getting pissy about other people deadnaming her is stupid?

Well, that’s her choice for herself, but only for herself. Jenner is very much in the “gently caress you, got mine” school of conservatism, and is often willing to throw other minority persons under the bus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Just like with race, there's not a whole lot of agreement on LGBT issues and proper terms even among the people it's actually relevant to. One might tell you a term is offensive, another might tell you it's not, another might be actively using slurs to refer to themselves to "reclaim" the word. You can't really make an objective choice about who to believe because chances are you're not going to be able to get an accurate poll going with a big sample size to actually determine if one is "right", and one trans person doesn't have magical authority over all over trans people any more than one black person has authority over every other black person as to whether "African-American" or "people of color" is the only appropriate term.

Basically, there's no real objective fact about any of it and the best you can do with the extreme nuances is to just try not to piss off whoever's immediately relevant at the time. That being said, Caitlyn Jenner should not be treated as any kind of authority on trans issues purely because she's still a lovely right-wing conservative who supported Ted Cruz and Trump despite being part of a group both of them despise.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Let's re-rail please.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

People who actually carry pocket constitutions are insufferable. See Jillette, Penn.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

And then he tucked his constitution back into his bag full of C-4.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

"DOES EVERYONE GO TO PRESCHOOL" my literal toddler eloquently screamed at the top of his lungs, making sure the entire movie theater could hear him over the movie.

"No you guys, seriously, wait, this is going to be hilarious" my friend says 20 minutes after making his phone call, the Pizza Hut manager silently holding the door open, not understanding why we still haven't left. "Just give it ten more minutes guys, you'll see, I'm gonna blow their minds."

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
6 year olds shouldn't be in preschool anyway.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Seventh Arrow posted:

And then he tucked his constitution back into his bag full of C-4.
Everyone knows The Constitution burns terrorists like crosses burn vampires.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

Security didn't even ask the guy the recite it from memory, which he did successfully with hand on heart, followed by everyone in the queue singing the US national anthem? STDH isn't what it used to be!

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Everyone knows The Constitution burns terrorists like crosses burn vampires.

ah, but this terrorist...was George Washington.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

This reads two ways.

1) Whoever wrote it doesn't know anything about cars and just made up gibberish. Your fuel line is supposed to be flooded, it's a fuel line. The engine can flood, ie, fill with so much fuel that it can't ignite, but it was only really an issue on older cars with a carburetor, of which there are not very many on the road anymore, to the point where if someone nowadays is driving a car with a carburetor, they know enough about cars to get it going again. If it was flooded, you wouldn't be able to rev it at all, because the problem would be that it wouldn't start anyway. Catching fire is not in anyway the result of a flooded engine.

or

2) It actually did happen, and a lady who doesn't know anything about cars tried to sound smart and received a sexist reply from a man (sadly still common these days). In reality, an engine that was revving but not accelerating could have a transmission leak, and the oil could be leaking onto a hot exhaust pipe, which will, actually, start a fire.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I like how the movie theater patrons were all trying not to fight the teenage girls before clapping for Albert Einstein.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Or maybe it was a carbed motor and the mom knew the guy was flooding the carb and the child misunderstood all the terms involved -- bowl for fuel line; cranking while still pumping the gas but not catching for revving; not moving instead of but accelerating.

E: but yeah, unless there were a spark in the engine bay, nothing catches on fire.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kimbo305 posted:

E: but yeah, unless there were a spark in the engine bay, nothing catches on fire.

The fuel is what catches on fire.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

More like ol' sparkless.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

oldpainless posted:

The fuel is what catches on fire.

Gas lines can't melt engine bays.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Gas lines can't melt engine bays.

You'd have to basically nurse a burning match over a carb with the air cleaner off to get the gas in there to catch.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Security didn't even ask the guy the recite it from memory, which he did successfully with hand on heart, followed by everyone in the queue singing the US national anthem? STDH isn't what it used to be!

Nor did anyone salute Einstein for being a veteran and offer to pay for his plane ticket, which didn't matter, since the airline gave him free first class passage because of his service which was handy since he needed his carry-on bag full of guns he used to kill bin Laden...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

"If I was in danger of getting shot, I'd totally turn into Rambo or some poo poo" is my favorite genre of STDH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Haifisch posted:

"When I am in danger of getting shot, I totally turn into Rambo or John Wick."

Ftfy