Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I missed the rules for my unnecessary apostrophe barbies coming out soon! I have not yet assembled my main HQ (a single commander), and I'm hoping they make wargear/subsystems more appealing or just axe weapon slots so that I don't have to try and make quad-wielding look good.

Better performance for the rank and file suits would be great too, but the thing's already written I imagine, we'll just have to wait and see.

(edit) Here's my ethereal conversion, pretty much done, still not great at painting =(

BurlapNapkin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Pandemonium in Michigan. The store that posted this on the front door and gained a small modicum of Internet fame because of it:

See that sign should be in front of Pandemonium in Cambridge, but they'd alienate 99% of their clientele.

I've had a bit of painted stuff just lying around lately and only just got around to taking pictures recently.
First, High Marshal Helbrecht, an absolute joy of a model to paint:

A space dildo, because teleport homers are actually kinda useful now:

The crashed Aquila Lander from Battle for Macragge that I've had forever:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BurlapNapkin posted:

I missed the rules for my unnecessary apostrophe barbies coming out soon! I have not yet assembled my main HQ (a single commander), and I'm hoping they make wargear/subsystems more appealing or just axe weapon slots so that I don't have to try and make quad-wielding look good.

Better performance for the rank and file suits would be great too, but the thing's already written I imagine, we'll just have to wait and see.

(edit) damnit I need to go and take a picture of a model now.

I'm a big fan of fielding Commanders with triple Cyclic Ion Blasters with an ATS because it's much more versatile than the all-Fusion Commander and can reasonably handle big groups of infantry of any stripe in a pinch.

EDIT: I also field multiple Broadsides, so I am demonstrably Not Good at Tau.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is really cool. It is definitely a good way to explain why they keep their numbers so low when all they mainly do is sit in a castle and breed.

In addition to that, their apotheosis is done through genetic manipulation as opposed to implantation, so between that and the nature of what and how much they must learn tending to break minds they have a failure rate of thousands per successful recruit. That's why they have a practical upper limit of 10,000.

Which is 40k as gently caress considering the recruit intake are infants, and the younger the better.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 28, 2018

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Pendent posted:

That'll get you started. Assuming you aren't looking for something hyper-competetive most units are pretty playable these days and I honestly can't think of anything that I would consider to be a flat out trap.

I'd argue the only real trap in the SM codex are Assault Marines. Vanguard Veterans give you +1A, +1Ld, access to the armory and storm shields and take up the 0-6 Elite slot in a battalion for the mighty cost of an extra 2 points per model.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

I'd argue the only real trap in the SM codex are Assault Marines. Vanguard Veterans give you +1A, +1Ld, access to the armory and storm shields and take up the 0-6 Elite slot in a battalion for the mighty cost of an extra 2 points per model.

Yes, but Blood Angels can give them 2 plasma or melta guns per 5 marines which makes them at least usable. There's definitely better options but that's not terrible.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Strobe posted:

I'm a big fan of fielding Commanders with triple Cyclic Ion Blasters with an ATS because it's much more versatile than the all-Fusion Commander and can reasonably handle big groups of infantry of any stripe in a pinch.

EDIT: I also field multiple Broadsides, so I am demonstrably Not Good at Tau.

Yeah, I can't complain really about the lack of killy customization going on in the index. I just wanted to build mine as more of a force multiplier with the pointing-hand from the kit and such. Obviously also not super good at the actual game part, I guess deep strike and hitting really hard are things they keep repeating so it may be folly to expect that to change.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you're just running one, particularly as your warlord, a shield generator is a good investment. Commanders otherwise have no built-in Invuln, which means that anything higher than -1 AP gives them a very bad day.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So are there any new synergies that have been sussed out between the Death Guard and Nurgle Daemons now that the Daemons codex has been out a while? One of my next purchases for my Death Guard is probably going to be the Daemons of Nurgle Start Collecting box (partially for allies and partially for conversion material for Daemon Princes) and I'm wondering how nice they play together.
I'm also wondering if it would be worth picking up a GUO at some point, but am worried that Mortarion will just do everything he could do better and the GUO will just end up being a (very nice looking and fun to paint) paper weight outside of a pure Daemon army.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM posted:

See that sign should be in front of Pandemonium in Cambridge, but they'd alienate 99% of their clientele.

I've had a bit of painted stuff just lying around lately and only just got around to taking pictures recently.
First, High Marshal Helbrecht, an absolute joy of a model to paint:

A space dildo, because teleport homers are actually kinda useful now:

The crashed Aquila Lander from Battle for Macragge that I've had forever:

I had this sweet Aquila lander terrain set for years and now I can't find it :saddowns:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with the Games Workshop Warhammer store in Bowie (Maryland), but this is the second loving time I've tried to swing over there for the store to be closed on a Saturday. One man stores are idiotic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

In addition to that, their apotheosis is done through genetic manipulation as opposed to implantation, so between that and the nature of what and how much they must learn tending to break minds they have a failure rate of thousands per successful recruit. That's why they have a practical upper limit of 10,000.

Which is 40k as gently caress considering the recruit intake are infants, and the younger the better.

The fluff sounds awesome. How does the army avoid dying to say, a horde of Orks?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fluff sounds awesome. How does the army avoid dying to say, a horde of Orks?

Their jetbikes have Hurricane Bolters, T6, and 4 wounds with a 2+ save for 90 points.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’d like to add a knight to my death guard at some point. The renegade knight box doesn’t seem to be in production anymore. If I’m going for an Imperial and converting it, am I best going for a Warden? From what I can tell that comes with all the weapon options where as the other kits just have one load out

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mef989 posted:

New respect for anyone who primes white.

dexefiend posted:

Airbrushes for life.

I do both.

Pendent posted:

Man, the Death Company box is one of the best sources for Blood Angels bits for the rest of your army. I'd absolutely pick up a box or two, if not that Death Company bundle that I can't seem to find on the webstore anymore.

yeah that box is good for the bits but I'm more fond of the old metal sculpts for DC.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there any way to see what the top tier lists are in LVO?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The 30k tables at LVO are pretty weird.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d like to add a knight to my death guard at some point. The renegade knight box doesn’t seem to be in production anymore. If I’m going for an Imperial and converting it, am I best going for a Warden? From what I can tell that comes with all the weapon options where as the other kits just have one load out

There was never anything specific to a Renegade Knight kit beyond transfers, the actual model they usually show for it is just one of the heads in the kit that have been converted. You've gotta go to Forgeworld if you want actual Chaos Knight bits. All Knight kits now have the accessory sprue which has all the equipment options in it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Fourth place in a 22 player tournament at my LGS! First tournament, and I've been playing for about two months. I used the Tyranid list I posted earlier.

Match one was against Ultramarines, ran by my friend. We took an hour to set up, and his wife dropped off his kid in the first round, who was adorable and would not stop talking. We just started round two when time was called. Lesson learned about how fast to play. When we practice we're going to time our matches.

Match two was against Eldar. I felt bad, he didn't kill a single unit. :smith: Even 27 Hormagants had one left. I didn't know what anything did because none of my friends play Eldar and it's not like Imperium units where I can just make an educated guess, but... none of it was very scary. Nice guy though, we've talked here and there for years and he was surprised I was playing 40k.

Match three was against Orks. Almost all his dudes were in four transports that had 16 wounds each. I blew two of them away with my Tyrannofex plus Hive Guard, and Genestealers chewed on the delicious treats inside. It was a mess figuring out what could attack what (learned a lot about base-to-base, targeting, and piling in) and gave me a headache. I was about to table him when he conceded.

My friend got second with his Tau Commander spam list, and everyone cheered that it was probably the last event at the store where he could run it. He was a good sport about it.

It's a lot more standing than a Magic tournament.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So here is something I am a bit uncertain what to do in future situations, some time after one of my games this week I realized that the other guy list tailored when it was a prearranged assumed to be casual game. I did not realize at the time since I was focused on the game, but for the future how do you react to this? It's not even like I sent my list beforehand since it was thrown together a few hours before, I think he has just been watching what I have been building at the store so it kinda feels a bit creepy too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I went to LVO today, didn't play any games, just hung out, checked out other people's armies and attended a couple airbrush classes, and spent too much money on Forgeworld stuff.

I saw a lot of happy hams. My favorite thing was a guy playing Bloodbowl with a TMNT themed team on bases painted like pizzas. I wish I had thought to take a pic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Warhammer 40,000: It's a lot more standing than a Magic tournament.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

So here is something I am a bit uncertain what to do in future situations, some time after one of my games this week I realized that the other guy list tailored when it was a prearranged assumed to be casual game. I did not realize at the time since I was focused on the game, but for the future how do you react to this? It's not even like I sent my list beforehand since it was thrown together a few hours before, I think he has just been watching what I have been building at the store so it kinda feels a bit creepy too.

I remember the first time The Sex Cannon brought a list tailored to take out mine when I had just brought the same Ork list I played the first time. Down to including Yarrick. I shrugged and still beat him. :getin:

Was his list specifically tailored to counter what you had, or was it more that he knew what army you played?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems to me you're meant to use a combination of Land Raiders and deep strikes (you can pay 3cp to teleport two squads) to avoid getting shot at while you get your men into the position. Maybe use the Allarus ability to spread out (after they kill their target) and make the enemy chase down hard as nails single guys. And if you know ahead of time that it's Orks or whoever, bring the bikes. Then rely on your sword & shield troops to protect the rest of their squads.
I'm terrible at warhammer though, so this is probably dumb.

As noted, the bikes are T6 with hurricane bolters. Everyone else is T5 2+/4++ (if battleforged) across the board. Everyone bar bikes and terminators can get that to 2+/3++ with a storm shield. Within 6" your Vexilus standards can either make the enemy -1 to hit you when shooting, or give you +1A.

When it comes down to combat, I think you have a pretty good chance of mincing them. In melee you're looking at 3-5 WS2+ S5 (S6 with spear, S8 with axe) attacks per man, with weapons doing D3 damage. And if they don't have a shield they can use a knife that allows an additional D1 attack per fight.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I remember the first time The Sex Cannon brought a list tailored to take out mine when I had just brought the same Ork list I played the first time. Down to including Yarrick. I shrugged and still beat him. :getin:

Was his list specifically tailored to counter what you had, or was it more that he knew what army you played?

I think it was to counter what I had since he knew I had a bunch of little guy with few big things and he primarily brought anti horde stuff, since the other people at my store with the same army are mostly big stuff.

Some of it is that I am just not a good enough player to handle being tailored against I guess.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
40K Friendly continued:

Game Four was against Blood Angels and I honestly don't remember much about it - it was early, it was quick, and it was pretty much decided when I asked 'what are you doing for anti-tank' and he said 'I've got a multi-melta'.

Game Five was against Guard, and it was probably the best match of the entire tournament. He was the only Guard player I've ever played who has understood the concept of screening tanks with infantry. He was a really skilled opponent and I really appreciated the challenge. The game was a ridiculous slugging match and came down to the wire. I'll skip ahead to the final turn:

Three objectives on the table. We don't know how much VP any of them are worth. We roll for that at the end of the game.

His assets: A Valkyrie with 7 wounds. A Leman Russ with 1 wound. His warlord, a generic company commander, getting charged by a full health Wraithlord.
My assets: A single Wraithblade with two wounds. A Spiritseer on two wounds, and a Farseer on one wound. Three Rangers. A full health Wraithlord with the blood of three tanks on its sword.

Objective one was being contested by the Valk and the sole surviving Wraithblade*. His Russ Punisher spent its last round of firing blowing my other squad of Rangers off objective two and parking on it. The Farseer and the Spiritseer had both failed their charges against it (and miraculously survived 20 overwatch shots despite having 3 wounds between them) so he had that objective on lock. The company Commander getting charged by the Wraithlord miraculously made 3 5+ invuln saves.

*Technically fliers can't contest objectives but who gives a poo poo it's a Friendly

So literally that entire bitter, bloody game came down to a single dice roll to see which of the two occupied objectives was worth the most VP. On a 4+ I would win the game. "What's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?" I asked as he rolled the dice. (It was a two, but fuckin' A)

Game five was against a really bright and wide eyed kid, like 12-14. Really nice guy, lived in the country so he didn't get many games and was really excited to be there. Wound up winning best sportsman. He was actually really close to tabling me before I won on objectives. He did good, and took advice really well - I gave him some painting advice which he soaked in.

Game six was against a really cool loyalist Emperors Children list. While Wraithguards slaughtering elite infantry remained a consistent theme throughout the tournament, this was my first look at what a monster Celestine was.

Game seven really was the final boss of the entire tournament - a Demons of Tzeentch army with Kairos Fateweaver. My army relies a lot on heavy AP weapons and high toughness, both things very poor against smite and invuln saves. It was also on the most terrain-filled board of the whole lot, really dense city terrain. His army was gorgeously painted - in the painting comp he got third, I got second, and the dude with the army full of hand-built grot helicopters won (and justly so).

The battle itself was a brutal, bloody slugfest. A wraithlord got melted by smites turn one. A unit of wraithblades got bogged down forever on some pink horrors - they just couldn't carve through those invulns. Treason of Tzeentch actually went off(!) and took my Spiritseer, who charged into my Wraithlord and got cut in half for her trouble. The Wave Serpent clowned around playing bumper cars with his shooty demons and wrecking havoc with its shruikens.

At the end of the game, last battle round, Kairos was on a single wound remaining in the wreckage of the board centre. The Wave Serpent opened up with its shruikens. These were the two MVP units of the game, each having killed at least double their points worth of stuff. 9 shots, 5 wounds - a spectacularly lucky roll given it wounded on a 5+.

"He saw this coming weeks ago," he said as Karios made every save.

Tournament was amazing fun, I'm super glad I went. The emergent theme of my Eldar army is that they always come extremely close to winning and then lose due to hubris - which is exactly perfect.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 28, 2018

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Tourney Today!

It was 2000 points. I posted the list the other day.

Round 1 was against Tzeentch Daemons. Relic Mission
Magnus, Lord of Change, Screamers, Pink Horrors, and Brimstone Horrors

Won by a minor victory!

Round 2
Tzeentch Daemons again! Control objective mission.
Magnus, Lord of Change, Be'lakor, two other princes, and Pink Horrors
Smite Spam City

Lost in a minor defeat.

Round 3
Alpha Legion this time. Kill points based on power level.
Berserkers, Prince, Sorcerer, Warpsmith, Bunch of Cultists, three Predators, and some other stuff.
-1 to hit over 12" sucks when you're Guard.

Highlights include, Col. Strackin plasma overheat, failing a charge at 5 inches, Berserkers eating a squad of Bullgryn
Lost BIG TIME!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

AnEdgelord posted:

So are there any new synergies that have been sussed out between the Death Guard and Nurgle Daemons now that the Daemons codex has been out a while? One of my next purchases for my Death Guard is probably going to be the Daemons of Nurgle Start Collecting box (partially for allies and partially for conversion material for Daemon Princes) and I'm wondering how nice they play together.
I'm also wondering if it would be worth picking up a GUO at some point, but am worried that Mortarion will just do everything he could do better and the GUO will just end up being a (very nice looking and fun to paint) paper weight outside of a pure Daemon army.

I have been a fan of summoning one classic herald of nurgle. The one that gives +1 str to nurgle demon units in 6". This guy buffs your blight drone or plagueburst cralwer's flamer weapons since they use the model's str, and it makes your demonprinces go up to the ever important S8 if you are using the 2x claws setup. Also he can take a power to heal demons that once again are useful for princes or drones(or morty if you crazy).

If you don't want to summon then a small detachment of 3x nurglings 2x Heralds should be good. Nurglings are great stand-ins for chaos-scouts since they deploy outside deployment zones and can really mess with alpha-deepstrikes. If you are less focused on beating people then take whatever you want in the detachment. The cavalry looks decent and even basic plaguebearers look ok with enough support.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mef989 posted:

New respect for anyone who primes white. Decided to just go Deathwing instead of converting Fallen and painting over white is an interesting experience. Dark Angels green in particular is annoying as poo poo to make look ok

Priming white is awesome if you find shading easier than highlighting.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From a friend’s feed:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

lol is that second one Abbadon + 5 Fire Raptors? It's too funny if GW made serious efforts to balance Guilliman + 5 Stormravens and then FW hosed it all up again because they can't price anything to save their lives.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Booley posted:

I'd think about getting a piece of steel bar that you can just magnet everything onto.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-36-in-Plain-Steel-Flat-Bar-with-1-8-in-Thick-801767/204225765

Sorry for the late reply, I was out last night :cheers:

That's actually a really good idea. If I get one I can wedge it in/cut it down till it fits at the bottom of one my cases and then just stick everything on it.

Also dude your AV wtf

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I know I shouldn’t tell other people to have fun, but seriously, how weird is this? Everyone has a different vision for their army, I know. Some people want an armoured list, some people want nothing but super-heavy units, some people may want nothing but characters. But this represents a complete separation from any of the imaginative aspects of the game. There really isn’t any visual appeal in an army like that imo, they’re just massively expensive resin game tokens. Why would someone go to the effort of assembling and painting those Fire Raptors for such a purpose?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

I know I shouldn’t tell other people to have fun, but seriously, how weird is this? Everyone has a different vision for their army, I know. Some people want an armoured list, some people want nothing but super-heavy units, some people may want nothing but characters. But this represents a complete separation from any of the imaginative aspects of the game. There really isn’t any visual appeal in an army like that imo, they’re just massively expensive resin game tokens. Why would someone go to the effort of assembling and painting those Fire Raptors for such a purpose?

For the simple reason you have any crazy list design or forge world heavy list: to win.

In my opinion its as a result of tournament scene and the players. I always found it strange that 40k comp allows some many game breaking unbalanced things.

I know from the ETC fantasy tournaments back in the day, a balance was tried to be met through list restrictions. Curious why it never happened with 40k.

Have not been to a 40k tournament in ages, is forgeworld essentially as 'pay to win' as it used to be?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I also put together this rough list for a Battalion Detachment, it comes out to 101pl or ~1950 points. It's 21 men and a tank.

A friend of mines starting custodes, hes had to rethink his plans after realising that 2 land raiders and valoris was 1050pts for 3 models.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

Because tournaments are dumb and attract some of the worst people in the hobby.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I know from the ETC fantasy tournaments back in the day, a balance was tried to be met through list restrictions. Curious why it never happened with 40k.

Have not been to a 40k tournament in ages, is forgeworld essentially as 'pay to win' as it used to be?

The trouble with list restrictions is that consistency with 40k codexes went out the window as soon as they started bringing in sub-factions as their own codexes. If you start putting limits on duplicate units or % ratios by role, that makes armies like Harlequins or Custodes unplayable because they have so few unit options to pick from. I don't think there's an easy way to balance those factions against the SM/Eldar/Nids that have access to 30 years worth of unit bloat.

GW are getting pretty good with quickly stomping on clearly broken list builds these days (see: Boots on the Ground, Commissar / Conscripts, Culexus Assassins, Malefic Lords). If you really want to go to the effort of buying & painting up the latest spam list, you can't realistically expect to use it more than a few times. I don't know enough about the tournament scene to say so for sure, but I'd hope that's preventing at least some people from investing in the more ridiculous lists.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

lol is that second one Abbadon + 5 Fire Raptors? It's too funny if GW made serious efforts to balance Guilliman + 5 Stormravens and then FW hosed it all up again because they can't price anything to save their lives.

I wouldn't like them to ban forge world stuff again but for the live of god confiscate all their rules writing and have GW proper do it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ijyt posted:

Because tournaments are dumb and attract some of the worst people in the hobby.

Every sport i have played or competed in has come down to who can exploit wealth or the rules the best. Shooting sports, motorcycle racing, drag racing, in the end there are always people who will pony up the cash or exploit the rules to win something that is supposed to be friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

I wouldn't like them to ban forge world stuff again but for the live of god confiscate all their rules writing and have GW proper do it.

This is my feeling on the issue. At leas we know there will be fixes midyear if the list is too dominant