Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I'm I'm in a well equipped airborne unit, and 85 percent of our guys rock EoTechs and Red dots, and minority have ACOGs. Also in full battle rattle we never run anywhere on the battlefield, mainly just dash from ditch to ditch tops. The autoriflemen carrying four-six boxes or so definitely just bumble about.
This is not an argument one way or other about game design, mind you.

To be fair, he could have been mistaking USMC for USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vahakyla posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I'm I'm in a well equipped airborne unit, and 85 percent of our guys rock EoTechs and Red dots, and minority have ACOGs.

It probably does vary, but as far as I know after 2005 the USMC bought over 100,000 of them with the intention of fitting one on every M4, and the US army appears to have done the same, because I can barely find any pictures of army infantry in Iraq without one.

e: Alright, I did find some where they don't.

Vahakyla posted:

Also in full battle rattle we never run anywhere on the battlefield, mainly just dash from ditch to ditch tops.

I mean preferably nobody would run everywhere in Squad, but a 64 player FPS game will and can never accurately represent the logistics and movement of a real military. This is a game where men materialize out of thin air in front of backpacks and radios. Full scale armed conflict between Russia and the USA is depicted as a conflict between a couple dozen guys. Infantry routinely walk through the open for miles because the only truck in the whole world bottomed out on a rock.

I'm comfortable with players in squad being able to run across a street without getting shin splints.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 28, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
muscle atrophy absolutely creeps its way into any game designed around armchair realism like this because the devs usually entrust their guys to go to an irl shooting range on occasion and shoot some mosin nagants or whatever weathered rentals are available

and after a year or two of flicking the safety on AKs at gunshows and struggling to rack the slide of anything in their hands they think they're experts and its reflected in game.

i'm just glad that even though Squad likes to lean on the "better safe than sorry" side of milsperging in terms of recoil and stamina they don't make you map out absurdly situational buttons to do poo poo like decide if you're gonna breathe through your left/right nostril or mouth while setting a eyelid squint meter to aim through the scope

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thief posted:

muscle atrophy absolutely creeps its way into any game designed around armchair realism like this because the devs usually entrust their guys to go to an irl shooting range on occasion and shoot some mosin nagants or whatever weathered rentals are available

and after a year or two of flicking the safety on AKs at gunshows and struggling to rack the slide of anything in their hands they think they're experts and its reflected in game.

i'm just glad that even though Squad likes to lean on the "better safe than sorry" side of milsperging in terms of recoil and stamina they don't make you map out absurdly situational buttons to do poo poo like decide if you're gonna breathe through your left/right nostril or mouth while setting a eyelid squint meter to aim through the scope

One of the guys I play Squad with had an M249 while he was deployed and IIRC he told me that the one in Squad handled like the character had never touched one before. While standing you are (supposed to, anyways) fire it with the stock under your armpit because the recoil of the gun pushes the back up, so if it's under your arm it has almost zero recoil. At that point you can just aim with tracers. You only actually bring the gun up to use the sights if you're pretty close to whatever you're shooting at and are worried about collateral damage. So, like, 99% of the time in real life, 0% of the time in Squad.

Meanwhile, in Squad

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 28, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If the gunner is taking potshots with an ACOG, he'll aim like a rifle. If you are hosing down an area, you put it to your armpit. i don't think Squad's issues are really the posture of the automatic rifleman. They seem to be bogging down in the weeds with weird minutiae, and forgetting the more fun aspects. Game is supposed to be light autism, yet able to keep the action going.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 28, 2018

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I'm I'm in a well equipped airborne unit, and 85 percent of our guys rock EoTechs and Red dots, and minority have ACOGs. Also in full battle rattle we never run anywhere on the battlefield, mainly just dash from ditch to ditch tops. The autoriflemen carrying four-six boxes or so definitely just bumble about.
This is not an argument one way or other about game design, mind you.

Aren't you a 12B? I was in the same unit as an infantryman and we had 100% ACOG issue for every M4 user.

edit:

turn off the TV posted:

One of the guys I play Squad with had an M249 while he was deployed and IIRC he told me that the one in Squad handled like the character had never touched one before. While standing you are (supposed to, anyways) fire it with the stock under your armpit because the recoil of the gun pushes the back up, so if it's under your arm it has almost zero recoil. At that point you can just aim with tracers. You only actually bring the gun up to use the sights if you're pretty close to whatever you're shooting at and are worried about collateral damage. So, like, 99% of the time in real life, 0% of the time in Squad.

Meanwhile, in Squad

Eh.. the recoil isn't eliminated by putting it under your arm, it's uncontrolled... basically you give up any sort of accuracy in order to be able to manage the recoil. It's decent for spraying poo poo when firing unsupported... but it's kind of a trick of the trade and not something that's officially doctrine last I checked.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 28, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
First batt has acogs like left and right, and second batt has mostly just reddots. I don't know why. I'm a 68W.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jarmak posted:

Eh.. the recoil isn't eliminated by putting it under your arm, it's uncontrolled... basically you give up any sort of accuracy in order to be able to manage the recoil. It's decent for spraying poo poo when firing unsupported... but it's kind of a trick of the trade and not something that's officially doctrine last I checked.

Yeah, and I don't care if the devs have inaccurate animations, incorrect scope distribution, or the color of green on the uniform of the VDV is wrong or anything. It's that there's just a weird trend of them making design decisions that are ostensibly for realism, and then just not caring about other parts of the game being unrealistic.

Like the thing with the blurry vision. It's intentional because the developers want the players with optics to see targets, call out their position while the rest of the players zero in in order to simulate realism and teamwork. So their solution was to unrealistically limit the number of optics and make the game blurry to force people to do that. Similarly, they're trying to stop infantry from running and gunning and instead have them RP walk at all times, so with the new patch you can't fire immediately after sprinting.

It's just really awkward and hamfisted ways to get people to roleplay to their standards

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, and I don't care if the devs have inaccurate animations, incorrect scope distribution, or the color of green on the uniform of the VDV is wrong or anything. It's that there's just a weird trend of them making design decisions that are ostensibly for realism, and then just not caring about other parts of the game being unrealistic.

Like the thing with the blurry vision. It's intentional because the developers want the players with optics to see targets, call out their position while the rest of the players zero in in order to simulate realism and teamwork. So their solution was to unrealistically limit the number of optics and make the game blurry to force people to do that. Similarly, they're trying to stop infantry from running and gunning and instead have them RP walk at all times, so with the new patch you can't fire immediately after sprinting.

It's just really awkward and hamfisted ways to get people to roleplay to their standards

You're missing the point, it's not unrealistic to fire the gun that way, at all, it's not a mistake. Your buddy probably had some crusty E-5 or E-6 tell him that only noobs shoulder fire the thing and I'm not going to get into a pissing match with an actual SAW gunner over the best way to do it but calling it "unrealistic" is just flat out not true and a dumb as gently caress nitpick.

For reference I carried a M240B for years and the handful of times I fired it unsupported standing I shouldered that bitch, *my* crusty E-5 told me only pussies tuck it under their armpit.

Vahakyla posted:

First batt has acogs like left and right, and second batt has mostly just reddots. I don't know why. I'm a 68W.

Yeah, I got to 1st in 2012 and the entire time I was there I don't think I saw an M4 without an acog attached.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty sure I said this in my post:

turn off the TV posted:

You only actually bring the gun up to use the sights if you're pretty close to whatever you're shooting at and are worried about collateral damage. So, like, 99% of the time in real life, 0% of the time in Squad.

and then posted

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, and I don't care if the devs have inaccurate animations, incorrect scope distribution, or the color of green on the uniform of the VDV is wrong or anything.

because I'm pretty sure in one of the screenshots I posted the dude winds up resting the stock on top of his shoulder because the animations are hosed up, janky and weird. And that's fine, because again, I don't care about that stuff. It is a video game and it will never be an accurate representation of the real world. The best you can hope for in a game like this is verisimilitude, and that's why I find a lot of the stuff that they went out of their way to try to be "more" realistic with really frustrating.

Like, the guy flips the sights up and down on the rocket launcher because I suppose that that's how you're technically supposed to do it, but it's really frustrating when you're trying to grab your pistol and your character is carefully flipping the sights down in the face of imminent death. On the other hand, you can run around hipfiring an LMG (which I've heard is something you should never actually do) and the amount of recoil is unrealistically strong, which can make it frustrating and unfun. In one of those situations they made something realistic too "realistic," making it frustrating, in another situation they made something unrealistic too unrealistic, making it frustrating.

Unless they figure out a contextual system where the character drops their empty launcher on the ground to grab their pistol, or they design a system where blindly spraying bullets in urban areas will get you discharged, they should probably go with the option that is going to feel best for the end user.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 28, 2018

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Have you guys seen this website that calculates elevation and bearing for accurate mortar firing? It's so nice to kick back with a beer and be the guardian angel for your squadmates pushing an enemy FOB 700 meters away without even trying.

https://squadmc.ende.pro/

e: Watch out for height of the target, which isn't factored in.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 28, 2018

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

because I'm pretty sure in one of the screenshots I posted the dude winds up resting the stock on top of his shoulder because the animations are hosed up, janky and weird. And that's fine, because again, I don't care about that stuff. It is a video game and it will never be an accurate representation of the real world. The best you can hope for in a game like this is verisimilitude, and that's why I find a lot of the stuff that they went out of their way to try to be "more" realistic with really frustrating.

Like, the guy flips the sights up and down on the rocket launcher because I suppose that that's how you're technically supposed to do it, but it's really frustrating when you're trying to grab your pistol and your character is carefully flipping the sights down in the face of imminent death. On the other hand, you can run around hipfiring an LMG (which I've heard is something you should never actually do) and the amount of recoil is unrealistically strong, which can make it frustrating and unfun. In one of those situations they made something realistic too "realistic," making it frustrating, in another situation they made something unrealistic too unrealistic, making it frustrating.

Unless they figure out a contextual system where the character drops their empty launcher on the ground to grab their pistol, or they design a system where blindly spraying bullets in urban areas will get you discharged, they should probably go with the option that is going to feel best for the end user.

That animation isn't perfect but it doesn't look janky to me and shouldering it like that when at high ready isn't weird. Also you flip those sights back down in real life because they're like the AT4's flip up sights they're flimsy as gently caress and a stiff breeze can render your precious AT weapon useless. Yeah if you were panic drawing on someone about to kill you obviously not but the game doesn't have a really good way of picking up on that context, the better question is why the gently caress is a LAW in the game instead of an AT4. Also loving LOL if blindly spraying bullets in an urban area during a firefight got you a discharge there wouldn't be an army left.

You have no idea what you're talking about, you've never touched a SAW or shouldered a weapon while wearing a plate carrier in your life. You're regurgitating some highly debatable opinions from people who have like it's the word of god and the devs are dumb as rocks and it's obnoxious as gently caress to someone who spent the better part of their adult life doing it for a living.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also when AT4 or LAW is slung back on the sling, the sights might snag on clothing or straps, so you do it. I see the point of panic rolling with the beretta, but Jarmak above me is a pretty decent authority on this poo poo, and as we have both said, there really isn’t anything super wrong about the weapons in this game, and the points you made are just a tad clueless.

I’m furiously searching, but there is a pic of me somewhere firing a SAW literally in almost 1:1 with that game pic you posted. And gently caress yeah I spray near corners like there’s no tomorrow, and I haven’t even been in a firefight where I fear for my life.

When soldiers roll in the woods, it just isn’t very aesthetically pleasing to the uninitiated, because the ”velocity of action” doesn’t really match up with what people expect. It can be just over-armored clowns stumbling from cover to cover, and they are lower-than-average speed with a decent amount of drag involved it it.

And shooting, even at practice enemies, falls often short of what the ”optimal” posture would be. If they are really far away, a guy with an ACOG might place the buttstock over his shoulder. He has no recoil resistane, but he wants a good look for one good shot. Or you might just eyeball rounds from barrel line withot looking at sights. Or hey, you might have the nicest of marksmanship prone positions when you can.

There are things that I wouldn’t really complain about in Squad. The game’s gameplay shortcomings are what bug me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vahakyla posted:

Also when AT4 or LAW is slung back on the sling, the sights might snag on clothing or straps, so you do it. I see the point of panic rolling with the beretta, but Jarmak above me is a pretty decent authority on this poo poo, and as we have both said, there really isn’t anything super wrong about the weapons in this game, and the points you made are just a tad clueless.

I’m furiously searching, but there is a pic of me somewhere firing a SAW literally in almost 1:1 with that game pic you posted. And gently caress yeah I spray near corners like there’s no tomorrow, and I haven’t even been in a firefight where I fear for my life.

When soldiers roll in the woods, it just isn’t very aesthetically pleasing to the uninitiated, because the ”velocity of action” doesn’t really match up with what people expect. It can be just over-armored clowns stumbling from cover to cover, and they are lower-than-average speed with a decent amount of drag involved it it.

Wow, it's almost like I've said that the animation only looks like that because it's a really lovely animation, but don't take my word for it, take the word of the animators who decided to entirely scrap the old system because it sucked. And I think I also said that I don't give a poo poo about how realistic the animations are because it's a video game, that in fact I think that some of the animations could stand to be much less realistic!

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Jarmak posted:

Also loving LOL if blindly spraying bullets in an urban area during a firefight got you a discharge there wouldn't be an army left.

Also loving lol if blindly spraying bullets like you do in Squad is okay in the US army because I'm pretty sure half of the deaths in any given match of are people TKing each other because all anyone does is blindly spray at anything that moves, but if the army really is a garbage as you say I can only pray to god I never go hunting with a vet.

Jarmak posted:

You're regurgitating some highly debatable opinions from people who have like it's the word of god and the devs are dumb as rocks and it's obnoxious as gently caress to someone who spent the better part of their adult life doing it for a living.

hahahahahahaha

My man, I was making fun of the lead game designer and the lead programmer for not understanding the mechanics of large scale shooters years before before Offworld Industries was even formed as a company and years before Squad was released.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Full scale armed conflict between Russia and the USA is depicted as a conflict between a couple dozen guys. Infantry routinely walk through the open for miles because the only truck in the whole world bottomed out on a rock.

I like this image paired with the thought of a Fulda Gap invasion 40 years ago.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Is your point that the game devs have made weird choices in what game mechanics would be realistic or not? I'm having a hard time pinning your point down between the arguing and defensiveness. If that's it, just say so and move on. A lot of us would agree.

...also you have a lot of weird and wrong misconceptions and opinions of this game, real life combat and weapons.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the most realistic thing implemented in the game is that reiki energy healing will revive and heal even the worst of combat wounds

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NJersey posted:

Is your point that the game devs have made weird choices in what game mechanics would be realistic or not? I'm having a hard time pinning your point down between the arguing and defensiveness. If that's it, just say so and move on. A lot of us would agree.

turn off the TV posted:

The dev team has a lot of talent for seeing where they should or shouldn't stray from reality and then making the worst possible decisions.

turn off the TV posted:

It's that there's just a weird trend of them making design decisions that are ostensibly for realism, and then just not caring about other parts of the game being unrealistic.

turn off the TV posted:

And I think I also said that I don't give a poo poo about how realistic the animations are because it's a video game, that in fact I think that some of the animations could stand to be much less realistic!

turn off the TV posted:

The best you can hope for in a game like this is verisimilitude, and that's why I find a lot of the stuff that they went out of their way to try to be "more" realistic with really frustrating.

turn off the TV posted:

In one of those situations they made something realistic too "realistic," making it frustrating, in another situation they made something unrealistic too unrealistic, making it frustrating.

Weird.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is there any chance that v10 will save this game?

I quit right around when vehicles were introduced and every game was people just bitching about access to vehicles and the ones who got it invariably trolled everyone by rolling it down a ditch or something.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MikeC posted:

I quit right around when vehicles were introduced and every game was people just bitching about access to vehicles and the ones who got it invariably trolled everyone by rolling it down a ditch or something.

so that's where all the red orchestra players went

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

pnutz posted:

Nah, I still play.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

pnutz posted:

No, those went to Rising Storm : Vietnam and hopefully Insurgency Sandstorm when that finally releases.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
New beta build out for play testing.

on the first it'll be a year since v10 announcement.
https://steamdb.info/app/393380/depots/

taels fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like guns and I greatly annoyed my squad lead by firing my RPG into an occupied enemy building because it was an inefficient use of ordinance.

It looked sick tho.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

taels posted:

New beta build out for play testing.

I can't find any reference to this anywhere, where did you see it?

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Squad: European Shovel Simulator 2018

taels
Oct 19, 2012

ubachung posted:

I can't find any reference to this anywhere, where did you see it?

Honestly can't find it ATM, was picked up from another forum could be incorrect
Edit: I didn't even really check the link just disregard that
Edit2: they added aaa gun emplacements apparently, why would we need that without helos?
[video type="youtu"]qcrJnHyRdAg[/video]

taels fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 31, 2018

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Triple post sorry. V10 playable build out via steam beta.
Code is threeweekslater

Also, called it

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Just want to say Post scriptum is looking really good. Looks like its going to put the squad devs to shame.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
It's kind of the same base game though right? I definitely prefer the era and locations more than Squad but I'm not too sure if it'll really blow it out of the water. TOW launchers, MBTs, and Helos are probably going to change the pace up a lot, and I'm excited to see what it evolves into.

Played V10 for like four hours last night and had a lotta fun, all the changes I encountered were great. I'm curious if the animation system is going to be included with Post Scriptum cause it's definitely better than it was.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ftfy

edit-- something that i'm pretty upset about with the new v10 thing is that they removed the "+connect ip:port" command line argument. Here in Asia, I cannot see any US servers on the in-game server browser anymore, much less via Steam in general, and so I had to join via third-party websites' server browsers. I can't do that anymore, so my server browser is nothing but Chinese and Russian servers now, with maybe a few European ones here and there.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 4, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So is PS made by same people, or what? Is it supposed to be a sister game?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

PS is basically a mod for squad but set during operation market garden of ww2. Think paratroopers, tanks, anti tank guns and bolt action rifles instead of optics. It's a different developer, Periscope or something, some indie group.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Hell Let Loose is basically Post Scriptum as well, but it doesn't have any relation to Squad.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

"What am i looking at here private?"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren:
Not only is the patch out for stable branch, but Squad is also 19.99 on a daily deal.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bought this game since I saw it on sale; come in to the thread and see the WarThunder crew arguing weird milsim poo poo with people making bizarre nitpicking complaints :hellyeah: Can't wait to play :c00l:

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, people get pretty upset at a lotta tiny details which is great. Get in and blow some poo poo up and don't focus too much on the realism claims. Hard to balance fun and arbitrary design decisions but I'm very happy with the current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AManWearingAHat
Feb 2, 2018
New to the thread and fairly new to squad. Just got it on sale with the last Steam Holiday sale. Veteran RO and Darkest Hour player. How's the fun / autism balance in Squad? Easy enough to pick up?