Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Boys, all these squats are making my dick look small. Is it time to cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Been going to the work gym to do a bunch of clean and press, and/or standing overhead press, on breaks. Union type job with long breaks. The only problem is that the ceiling is too low, so I have to be careful not to slam the bar into the lights. :11tea:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gorman Thomas posted:

No need for something that drastic, have you considered angry poetry or possibly growing out your fringe and getting spider bites first?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bruh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shoulder pain is just about gone, replaced with slight numbness in my hand.

In a dramatic third-act twist, everything is revealed to come back to the same ulnar nerve problem (played by William Shatner).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Today I am going to work my legs until they are spaghetti and then somehow try to have sex with a person later, despite half my body being spaghetti

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
My pensi is spagheti

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

much like your biceps your penis is a muscle which needs to be worked out regularly to grow. sadly that's not going to happen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Penis DOMS is the worst

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Never skip kegel day

Real question: is it feasible to stay at a specific mass/physique once I've reached my intended goal? I'm starting to look good naked and after a few more months I might not want to get any bigger. Or will I?...

Kazak fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 28, 2018

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Lol not want to get bigger

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kazak posted:

Never skip kegel day

Real question: is it feasible to stay at a specific mass/physique once I've reached my intended goal? I'm starting to look good naked and after a few more months I might not want to get any bigger. Or will I?...

Feasibility depends mainly on how much you want that and if you are willing to do the needful for that goal.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

doverhog posted:

Feasibility depends mainly on how much you want that and if you are willing to do the needful for that goal.

I've had success eating clean and lifting regularly so I've been willing to do the needful this past year. My goal has been fitness, not body building.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

I've had success eating clean and lifting regularly so I've been willing to do the needful this past year. My goal has been fitness, not body building.

Fitness for what?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
loving

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

sassassin posted:

Fitness for what?

sex, hiking, biking, general athleticism. lugging heavy things around a campsite is good too but I have no desire to approach 800lbs or whatever some of you are up to.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Are normal people so out of shape that they need to train to hike, bike, gently caress, or move things around?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

sex, hiking, biking, general athleticism. lugging heavy things around a campsite is good too but I have no desire to approach 800lbs or whatever some of you are up to.

Yes yes you're so different and special, not like us weirdos at all.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

Are normal people so out of shape that they need to train to hike, bike, gently caress, or move things around?

I want to be better at these things and also look better while doing them.

sassassin posted:

Yes yes you're so different and special, not like us weirdos at all.

I think you misunderstand me, I say good on anyone who wants to keep pushing their personal records, thats just not what I'm in the gym to accomplish.

naem
May 29, 2011

There's a certain fitness level where I look my best and I tend to either push past it and gain a bunch of muscle mass and not look as good, or the opposite and run a bunch and get too skinny. Fortunately the cure for those is "be lazy awhile"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

naem posted:

There's a certain fitness level where I look my best and I tend to either push past it and gain a bunch of muscle mass and not look as good, or the opposite and run a bunch and get too skinny. Fortunately the cure for those is "be lazy awhile"

thanks for an answer

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The more general the goal the more generally you're going to fail.

Chase every rabbit and you'll catch none.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Kazak posted:

I want to be better at these things and also look better while doing them.

I think you misunderstand me, I say good on anyone who wants to keep pushing their personal records, thats just not what I'm in the gym to accomplish.

I take fitness to mean ability to do x and performance to mean get better at x, just dumb semantics.

To answer your question, if you keep training and eat at maintenance and mostly avoid eating garbage you should maintain the look you want.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
For example most good cyclists look like poo poo. Do you actually want to keep getting better at "biking" or would you prefer to look like the guy on the cover of the fitness magazine posing next to a bike?

These are both worthy goals.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
There's always going to be some level of maintenance required.

Regardless of individual metabolism, age slows you down and your BMR will change. If you want to maintain a physique you obtained/have/desire from X day and X year, it won't be set in stone. This doesn't translate into an obsessive calorie count (nor should it) or a schedule in the gym so regimented that you sweat bullets because you're tending to a family emergency but poo poo MY LATS ARE SHRINKING LIKE RIGHT NOW

I've come to learn it's a necessary, overall change in lifestyle and it's one I really appreciate. Tackling it like a temporary situation- a fad diet, a New Year's resolution, a membership at Orange Theory- that's a key to failure, where you'll look back a year from now and feel like the exercise and diet was a waste. I've been up and in the gym at 4:30 most mornings, 4 times a week, with only 2 exceptions since last June (Christmas obligations and Hurricane Irma). In that relatively short time, a lot's changed but I've never been more dedicated to exercise than I have now.

I eat cleaner in general, but I can also eat like a hog in poo poo one day of the week and be good. I tweaked my back being an idiot with a deadlift six weeks ago, but it's healed nicely because I'm not babying it and rushing along. I also notice my clothes fit better, I like how I look, and it was mildly amusing to see a student lightly mock the "can't put my arms down" look as I walked by a couple days ago. For the record, I'm nowhere NEAR that big.

My plan is just to keep this up as long as I can for as old as I can get. I admire the septugenarians and older that I see in the gym, I think Jack LaLanne was a badass, and I can only hope to keep myself together for as long. I also hope I can inspire my wife, friends, and family with what I do too.

Bottom line: it's not work to me anymore, it's life. Putting up numbers is just a neat little bonus.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

I take fitness to mean ability to do x and performance to mean get better at x, just dumb semantics.

To answer your question, if you keep training and eat at maintenance and mostly avoid eating garbage you should maintain the look you want.

thanks. I've grown to love going to the gym and the eating right is something I'm also growing into, basically I enjoy this being my new routine.

sassassin posted:

The more general the goal the more generally you're going to fail.

Chase every rabbit and you'll catch none.

Also good advice

Kazak fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 28, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone know what piece of gym equipment is best for tightening the anus

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This might point you in the right direction

https://www.amazon.com/How-Good-bye-Depression-Constrict-Everyday/dp/0595094724

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Is there a secret you Englishman aren't telling us about?

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Meal prep today. I had made a stew with veggies, potatoes, and meat a few days ago. Like the goon I am, I picked out and measured the leftover ingredients and they all weighed out to be just over 5 days.

I also had chicken that I slow cook and shred, and when that was done it measured out to be exactly 5 days worth of meat. This is a good day, everything is in nice little microwaveable containers.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm drinking beer and eating salt and vinegar potato chips right now.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I have too many muscles what do I do :confused:

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Garrand posted:

Is there a secret you Englishman aren't telling us about?

The secret British workout is to do anal vacuums before stomach vacuums.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Just wanna let you all know, the bulk was saved. I cut back on the carbs and stabilized at ~224 and lost the 2" lovehandles I managed to gain in 3 weeks in 2 and look decent.

Still looking forward to returning to my 93kg home for the summer, but for now I'm chilling at around 100kg.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
A pork bratwurst has the same or similar protein/calorie ratios as many protein bars, and they're cheaper (at least where I am).

Whelp I know what I'm doing now.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is a real problem if you wear a wetsuit sometimes and don't want to have to get one custom made. Off the rack don't really account for big guns in proportion to a non-fat waist.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GORDON posted:

This is a real problem if you wear a wetsuit sometimes and don't want to have to get one custom made. Off the rack don't really account for big guns in proportion to a non-fat waist.
you're not supposed to keep your guns in your wet suit you dunce

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nooneofconsequence posted:

Crossfit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

THIS IS THE NO CROSSFIT ZONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

you're not supposed to keep your guns in your wet suit you dunce

Well I don't like to always wear the gun harness...

But for serial, it's difficult to pull wetsuits arms up when you've got bigger biceps/triceps, and only a 34 waist. Going a size higher means it's too baggy in the waist.

Scuba problems.