Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Trying to get back on this ole wagon as I've been craving a crafting mmo recently and runescape just isn't hitting the spot.

I'm still super little and low level so I'm cutting down trees and cooking fish while I wait for my mana to regen. Is that still the way to go when you're low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Crescent Wrench posted:

04:47:16 Grumpy Aspersa : I wouldn't imagine there are any guilds of size 2 or greater that share freely
04:48:02 Bruce Bruce bone : you mean any besides us right?
04:48:08 Grumpy Aspersa : I mean anybody

This is either proof positive that he doesn't read our guild chat/look at our stuff or him being deliberately obtuse. I'd say the former to be honest.
Remeber the last few guest pubs we had in? They couldn't believe their eyes when they saw guild storage. It's like the difference between some mangy dogs growling at each other over bone scraps and fat mutts too full to eat and fridges overflowing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LeFishy posted:

Trying to get back on this ole wagon as I've been craving a crafting mmo recently and runescape just isn't hitting the spot.

I'm still super little and low level so I'm cutting down trees and cooking fish while I wait for my mana to regen. Is that still the way to go when you're low?

You might want to mine some, we're always kinda low on magnetite since low level smithing eats gobs of it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Ratzap posted:

Remeber the last few guest pubs we had in? They couldn't believe their eyes when they saw guild storage. It's like the difference between some mangy dogs growling at each other over bone scraps and fat mutts too full to eat and fridges overflowing.
Yeah, that's definitely why goons are the best in this game. I heard from a lot of other people that they basically trade resources at market price to each other in their guild. Which is hilarious. The whole time I was playing I never "owned" anything, but always had everything I need.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

RabbitWizard posted:

Yeah, that's definitely why goons are the best in this game. I heard from a lot of other people that they basically trade resources at market price to each other in their guild. Which is hilarious. The whole time I was playing I never "owned" anything, but always had everything I need.

Goonunisum always seems to work out well for us, in a wide range of games. I rarely, if ever, see people take advantage of it too.

Why people feel the need to "own" things in this game is a little silly. Like, what is the point of playing then?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Ratzap posted:

You might want to mine some, we're always kinda low on magnetite since low level smithing eats gobs of it.

Mining it is. I'm happy to watch numbers go down to make numbers go up in any area of the game as long as I'm helping.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Solvency posted:

Goonunisum always seems to work out well for us, in a wide range of games. I rarely, if ever, see people take advantage of it too.

Why people feel the need to "own" things in this game is a little silly. Like, what is the point of playing then?

This is my pixel. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My pixel is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my pixel is useless. Without my pixel, I am useless. I must be true to my pixel.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Solvency posted:

For goons, the tie between players is much stronger than the tie between the player and the game itself, especially when the game in question isn't particularly good and most of the fun comes from chatting with other goons and making fun of pubbies. If you get kicked for goonfucking, you'll probably end up quitting the game altogether because the alternatives are "play this bad game solo" and "play this bad game with even more terrible pubbies". This also incentivizes our high-level players to prioritize "what does the guild need" over "what makes the most xp/hr", ensuring that even the fattest goons can eat their fill and still have mountains of food left over.

If you consider guild productivity as "actions per day that contribute to guild-owned stuff", our players can get more actions/hr than the average (because timer foods for everyone) and tend to contribute more of them as a percent (because goons :effort: at the idea of owning things but pubbies hate sharing), AND we have far more players than the other guilds, so our assets climb a lot faster than that of other guilds. Stuff that would be a serious multi-month undertaking for solo players or smaller guilds would be considered a casual side project for us.

My favorite part of having pubbie pets is definitely when we just hand over storage access and go "yeah no one cares, help yourself" and we all get to see their minds blow when they realize just how much stuff we have. And then they tell us stories about how lovely and not helpful the other guilds are.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
It's been too long since we had a guest in the guild (probably because there are so few pubbies we'd care to hang out with...)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sal

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm actually not sure what I'd even do with all this crap I'm gathering/grinding if not shove it into a guild storage somewhere, and always assumed it was the same for everyone else. In this game especially, what is the actual benefit in having things you're not directly using? What is the benefit of holding back the other people in your guild, for that matter?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sell for copper, or go jack off all trade.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Not sure how active I'll be, but I signed up as fortior.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Invite sent.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
In world chat there's this guy that pretends to be a cat all day, every day, and these people encourage him. This is what it means to be a pubbie in this game. These are the same people who as far as I understand, resent us being in the game because somehow by our very presence we 'ruin' this 24 hour shitshow they've got going on.

I barely even pay any attention to what's going on in this game and never do anything useful but just the thought that by simply earning XP doing anything at all I'm contributing to the number of active guildmembers and our place on some leaderboard I never bother to look at and thus making these people angry is enough to keep me coming back. Anyone considering making an account really should, it's immensely satisfying considering the very small amount of non-work and attention it requires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 21, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
/me pets Zoe :3

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

U g h

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Also, it costs 1 USD to change your name, so every change from “mordaq” to “mordaq the cutest kitty” or “mordaq the fattest kitty” is a dollar.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What I posted wasn't even the worst of it, it's just that the scrollback doesn't go back very far. I'm paying more attention to bot checks and keeping my timers optimized because of the birthday event and I was always sort of aware of this guy because he's in there every day, I just never realize before the sheer number of hours he sits in the chat doing inane emotes with people and nothing else.

Colin Mockery posted:

Also, it costs 1 USD to change your name, so every change from “mordaq” to “mordaq the cutest kitty” or “mordaq the fattest kitty” is a dollar.

...huh. Well that puts a new wrinkle on things. No wonder Grumpy likes him.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 21, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you are on at strange hours he's still there and will emote in world chat every hour or so hoping for a bite.

I'm not sure if he's really lonely or a massive troll. I want to believe he's just really high huffing gas. He works at a gas station and will drone on about customers being stupid. Which is ironic and often extremely mundane.

Seriously get him to talk about his life it's a poo poo show.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm not surprised. There's some real messed up people playing MMO/MUDs, just look at this subforum.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So according to Grumpy, guild storage is soon going to be accessible from anywhere on that map.

This also apparently means Xerol will have to do some things that I don't understand because all I know how to do is use pickaxes to make my inventory number go up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zoe posted:

So according to Grumpy, guild storage is soon going to be accessible from anywhere on that map.

This also apparently means Xerol will have to do some things that I don't understand because all I know how to do is use pickaxes to make my inventory number go up.

Don't worry about it. Just dump your stuff wherever looks ok and someone spergy will move it around.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

After chatting with grumpy about how new storages will work for a bit yesterday, I'm basically thinking we'll build new ones where we would have free slots if we converted our old ones over 1:1, but leave the old ones as-is until the conversion tool is available. Basically that means building 3 new storages in Northern, 1 in Torrid, and 1 in DI. They're going to be one slot per island location like new houses, so we'll have to consolidate our AB storages a bit. Probably just merge all the cooking-related ones together, then have one for gear, one for consumables, one for mining/smithing, one for carpentry/woodcutting, and one for everything else (alchemy / tailoring / defunct items). It's also seeming likely that new storages will be linear increase per material added so we're going to have a pretty big woodcutting/mining/carpentry project coming up soon.

GLUFRU
Nov 10, 2010
This kind of reminds me of Vagabond's Quest, so I'm down to give it a shot. I'm in as Beedlebux.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Invite sent.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Ign: SuperRad

Is the OP still up to date or should I just start playing the game however? I probably won't be playing often but I love dumb games.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Invite sent!

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Just restarted again. Who do I message to join a guild?

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

HeartNotes3 posted:

Just restarted again. Who do I message to join a guild?
What's your name in-game?

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Heartnotes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

more goons should come and play.. goon stockpile has lots of stuff to make your noob experience easy and fun.. You don't need to spend hours doing poo poo to sell poo poo to get other poo poo to do what you really wanted to build up. Goon stockpiles are piled high waiting for you to come and use the stuff to do your bidding. As a noob I haven't really NEEDED to buy anything, there's equipment with buffs that would take days to save up for that I can just liberate from the goon storage. I buy things here or there when I don't feel like going back to storage but that's about it.

Pubbie guilds are very protective of their stuff, their members are surprised at our level of sharing.
The more people we have doing things the more the numbers go up, and the more pubbies cry about our ability to keep going. The Developer has tried to stifle goons here or there but the swarm just switches focus and finds a way around it.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
yeah if you're new it's no effort and you get to dominate the scoreboards with like 2% of the attention eve online or something requires

edit: i say, having been busy for a bit :x :x :x

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
PapaCowBoy started wringing his hands over being 'harassed' by people misspelling his name, repeatedly demanding they do it correctly, then getting angry and going on about how he didn't need a grammar lesson when his own typos were helpfully corrected.

Mods handed out warnings to the cruel typo correctors to protect him.

Some other guy got his panties in a twist about all the mean people too:

....and we won't even get into the constant roleplaying.

It can't be said enough, joining is easy, everything you need is there and free, it takes pretty much zero effort to start reaping XP for the guild, and you anger terrible people simply with your presence.

e: passive aggressive public ignorer got his too, noice:

Zoe fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2018

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Please keep posting more chat stuff! If you think it's funny, post it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's also a channel in the discord for it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
What discord? It's not in the OP! Lazy OP!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It was in the OP just buried, I've unburied it now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Roflex posted:

It was in the OP just buried, I've unburied it now.

This is in the OP too and is out of date:

Don’t start with combat, it’s a quick way to lose all your stuff. Ask in guild chat before you click on anything combat-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All but confirmed that Sal is a mod. I've suspected him of being Thor for awhile. No way Grumpy would back this up, Grumpy gave us a mute for the phrase "tossing salad" in a conversation about the worst jobs we've had. Sal is using the term without any context.

For reference there is no item named bundle of sticks, he was just abusing the link mechanic.

After Telling Grumpy this is serious and to take it seriously.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 8, 2018