Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I really enjoyed the relative clarity of complex action in Miura's own Gigantomakhia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s probably just harder this time because it’s dog action

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All that hatching can confuse the eye.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Disappointed dog did not carry Dragonslayer in mouth, like all famous anime dogs

Really love where this is going. The entire dream scene so far has been like a hosed-up cliffs note version of the series full with callbacks - like an immensely symbolic microcosmos. Now that they've actually reached the baby, the plot could go critical any moment!

Could, at least.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
the dream is an awesome idea for such a long manga

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

temple posted:

the dream is an awesome idea for such a long manga

I hope the next chapter is another Rickert chapter.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Disappointed dog did not carry Dragonslayer in mouth, like all famous anime dogs

:wrong:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ahem, clearly that is not a dog, but a dog-shaped robot buddy :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i should play through revengeance again

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nuebot posted:

I hope the next chapter is another Rickert chapter.

Unironically this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i should play through revengeance again

same

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I want the gang to leave elf island and return to the regular flow of time, where they discover that the timeskip has turned Rickert into a cyborg assassin.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand, Revengeance

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Going back to action sequences in manga, I though Hiroaki Samura did a good job in Blade of the Immortal.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Ahem, clearly that is not a dog, but a dog-shaped robot buddy :colbert:

There's a dog under that metal, dog.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, what if Guts Dog follows them out of the Dream and he becomes a lasting berserk buddy for Guts?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That'd be nice, Guts is a good boy (both Guts).

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Torquemadras posted:

I want the gang to leave elf island and return to the regular flow of time, where they discover that the timeskip has turned Rickert into a cyborg assassin.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand, Revengeance

I would, no poo poo, love it if they return to find out that Griffith has turned Midland into some demonic fantasy version of Blade Runner since they've been gone; we know Mirua loves Sci-Fi after all!

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

Going back to action sequences in manga, I though Hiroaki Samura did a good job in Blade of the Immortal.

For real? I read the first few chapters and gave up on it because it seemed like all build up and then just one panel of him unleashing every weapon at the same time... though it was boring. Maybe i'll have to give it another chance, any clue how the move is? Its Miike so I know its at least well shot.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Laputanmachine posted:

Some of the clearest action I've ever seen in a comic. Still need to read the last 3-4 volumes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I would, no poo poo, love it if they return to find out that Griffith has turned Midland into some demonic fantasy version of Blade Runner since they've been gone; we know Mirua loves Sci-Fi after all!

The deeper you go into Falconia, the more advanced and technological the inside of his great castle becomes, mixing machinery that Guts has no idea how it even works with living flesh and demonic organs stretching out from The World Tree and down, deep into the earth. The lower you go, the closer to hell you get.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Just updated a couple of lines in the mangastream version and released the torrent of #353.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

LordMune posted:

Just updated a couple of lines in the mangastream version and released the torrent of #353.

o.o Awesome, I was literally just about to head there upon reaching the end of the new posts in this thread.

I finally succumbed after years of holding out and read through Berserk (after watching about half of the old anime series in the mid-aughts) for the first time a couple of years ago practically to this day, during a crappy time in my RL, when I was sick as a dog, all alone in the house, and worried about a loved one thousands of miles away I couldn't get to in order to look after them. Perfect state of being for reading this series, right?

Well, the scanlations and the quality of the translations I was struggling through for about half of the series before I started asking myself if there was something better was really awful, so I went out looking, basing my search on the one chapter I had that was head and shoulders above the rest. It lead me to your site, and your group, which was something I was really grateful for, both at the time and today, as well, as I still have it bookmarked in my 'arts' section.

I just wanted to thank you for your (and any associates of yours) hard work and effort over the years. Even if I'm not generally very vocal, and not a regular in any circles you travel in, I really appreciate it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's appreciated! It is a bit strange to sometimes positively impact strangers through what is essentially a pirate activity, but I suppose that is also at least part of the reason why we spend so much time and energy on doing what we do.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

2. Throw them up on my plasma and benefit from it's great handling of deep blacks.
:circlefap: This was such a good idea why did I wait so long. I still need to set up symlinks to the best overall artwork, but even running a slide show through the wider images had been amazing.

I'm gonna check here directly, but has there been anything but speculation about Miura's drawing methods? I couldn't handle some of this detail at double size, but I guess he could just be using B4 and it's scaled down. Still is this shading done digitally or is it the half toned print showing up on the scan? Where are the 5ft prints?

Edit: I think the answer to "drawing methods" is "lots of practice". :) And the books look halftoned, so online images based on scans would pick up that (and more, possibly).

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 2, 2018

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I'm a bit torn right now. I've started reading Berserk again, and have decided that I want to actually own the series in some shape or form, but I'm not sure if I want to own it physically via the volumes, or digitally via Kindle/Comixology.

On one hand, it's always nice to own something physically, since that's something that can last a long time as long as you take care of it and doesn't require you to own any devices to read it on. On the other hand, digital would be cheaper and a lot more convenient to own, and also the spreads wouldn't look like poo poo. Oh, and it wouldn't be on that awful manga paper that doesn't give you the deep blacks or bright whites that digital versions have.

I wish Dark Horse would do a hardcover re-release on better paper. Does the series sell so poorly that they can't be bothered with something like that?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
First, I doubt your deep blacks because most people have their brightness turned up so high to counteract their oppressive overhead lighting and perpetual window glare that they don't have any room to adjust their contrast. Second, while digital may be cheaper it's... cheaper; if they're scans you see the printing artifacts anyway along with the contrast issue --- though I haven't seen the Dark Horse digital. Third, reading and flipping through the books is still considerably more enjoyable... if you can find them all.

It would be great to get some of these on higher gloss paper, but I figure that'll be like getting stuck on a boat.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Well, one disadvantage to going physical that's unique to me is that I currently have a problem where my arms are so frail and easily hurt that keeping manga volumes open makes my fingers ache. Although this can be mitigated with a book stand, and if I eventually get better, I'll be happy to still have the books. So maybe I'll go that route.

Also, the Dark Horse official digital version looks pretty good.

Unit24 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 4, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I just don't have the space to collect all volumes of it so I stick with digital for now (though I don't intend to buy all of them, tbh, I'm a bad person). If they had a nicer release someday I'd absolutely buy that, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

First, I doubt your deep blacks because most people have their brightness turned up so high to counteract their oppressive overhead lighting and perpetual window glare that they don't have any room to adjust their contrast. Second, while digital may be cheaper it's... cheaper; if they're scans you see the printing artifacts anyway along with the contrast issue --- though I haven't seen the Dark Horse digital. Third, reading and flipping through the books is still considerably more enjoyable... if you can find them all.

It would be great to get some of these on higher gloss paper, but I figure that'll be like getting stuck on a boat.

hdr phone and tablet screens now provide pure blacks at any brightness.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I just don't have the space to collect all volumes of it so I stick with digital for now
Curious about the quality. Are they just scans? Do the two page spreads connect correctly? Are any of the shaded areas blocky?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

scary ghost dog posted:

hdr phone and tablet screens now provide pure blacks at any brightness.

Wtf wow, are these mostly new?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

(He means OLED and not HDR. Separate technologies.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So there's a way to redeem Berserk 2016, you just need to turn it into a motion comic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4f0LcDabE

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LordMune posted:

(He means OLED and not HDR. Separate technologies.)

same effect

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

So there's a way to redeem Berserk 2016, you just need to turn it into a motion comic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4f0LcDabE

dope

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ccs posted:

This is great, I want more of this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

so yeah

i'm pre-ordering this as soon as it goes up
holy gently caress.

(reprint with blood added of the fig included with vol 37 that goes for like £200+)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's figma so it'll actually be affordable right? The only anime figure or statue I actually own is a figma of Griffith which I think wasn't too pricey.

GodFish posted:

This is great, I want more of this

There's a couple more though the editing is a bit rougher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHB45yxO0Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DIZRCt3c8

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 18, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It might be affordable but it's not up for pre-order yet so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

If it's figma that'll knock it into affordable-ish range for me.

One of my more hardcore friends showed me a berserk fig over 1k and when i said that was ridiculously expensive for me, she suggested i buy from a vendor that lets me pay in installments like this was a normal thing that she did. Terrifying. My most expensive figure to date was $150, i won't go much above that even for berserk