Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also after neglecting the game for months I finally got back in to finish the MSQ up through 4.1. That final quest was ridiculously good.

Now I just need to do pretty much all of Rabanastre and Deltascape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Frontlines warsteads will be able to fly soon. Finally Normal Horse takes to the skies.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Y'all bitch too much.

Blockhouse posted:

MMO fanbases are the worst

:yeah:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So is garo going/already been gone?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah riddle of earth is one of the more useful skills monk got in stormblood. pop it for unavoidable damage

nuru posted:

One of the most wrong things ever said in this thread.

Yeah, you're not going to be using it constantly on cooldown, but you'll use it every time you're taking an immune phase for example and you're refreshing stacks.

It's a clunky mechanic and not ideal but it's really good for what it is and its flaws are more tied to the fact that this game is pretty unwieldy.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 28, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leal posted:

So is garo going/already been gone?

Garo still here. Doesn't look like it's going anytime ever.

Mounts are said to be obtainable as long as you have the titles forever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean RoE isn't dead useless like some other skills, but MNKs who weren't already turning on Fists of Earth for those phases aren't going to start using Riddle of Earth. The GL refresher is very unwieldy to use, too, and near impossible to use well while levelling since anything that you'd be taking damage for is either an attack you shouldn't be taking, or something where you probably won't get the benefit of the following damage reduction or GL refresher anyway (or you'll just keep using Fists of Fire and have the healer worry about it).

If it was, say, 'turn on Fists of Earth, refresh your GL stacks, and gain a buff that grants an additional 10% DR that lasts 30s or til you turn Fists of Earth off' it'd be much more worth remembering to pop it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no point in worrying about using RoE in levelling content or if you're doing dailies or whatever. You'll just have to deal with the fact that Monk is atrocious in the open world.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I mean, it's self evidently important for EX primals and raid and just like anything else it gets easier to use as you learn the fight. As for normal old dungeons, you don't really need it but it still helps and I'm kind of pleasantly surprised no healer has ever yelled at me for intentionally running into the random AoE puddles that pop up between pulls in some dungeons.

Also playing the 'Can you keep your stacks during the second coin toss' game is the only thing that makes Yojimbo tolerable as a Monk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's fair, I'm still levelling MNK so I'll take the word that it's useful in endgame stuff. It was just a bit of a wet fart thinking when I got it it'll be a way to keep my stacks up during boss invul phases and have it be basically... just there.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's fair, I'm still levelling MNK so I'll take the word that it's useful in endgame stuff. It was just a bit of a wet fart thinking when I got it it'll be a way to keep my stacks up during boss invul phases and have it be basically... just there.

I used it all the time while running O4. Yeah, it's basically useless in the open world, but Monks aren't really super great there anyways.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're going to press Riddle of Fire way more often, but switch to Earth to keep GL3 up when the boss does a big ol' attack.

It's usefulness going forward is kind of a big question right now due to the changes to both Riddle of Wind and Perfect Balance. It's still going to be useful if you can get it to proc, but there isn't going to be nearly much of a penalty if you mess it up going forward since Form Shift x3 + Wind Tackle + Wind Tackle + Snap Punch/Demolish = GL3 if I'm reading the patch notes right.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Phone posted:

You're going to press Riddle of Fire way more often, but switch to Earth to keep GL3 up when the boss does a big ol' attack.

It's usefulness going forward is kind of a big question right now due to the changes to both Riddle of Wind and Perfect Balance. It's still going to be useful if you can get it to proc, but there isn't going to be nearly much of a penalty if you mess it up going forward since Form Shift x3 + Wind Tackle + Wind Tackle + Snap Punch/Demolish = GL3 if I'm reading the patch notes right.

I read it as one stack from using RoW not a stack from each of the tackles, but I could be wrong. Perfect Balance cooldown time decreased will be the real hero I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I read it as one stack from using RoW not a stack from each of the tackles, but I could be wrong. Perfect Balance cooldown time decreased will be the real hero I think.

Your phrasing makes me think you're right on that, so it's just a way to get 1 GL stack for "free" with a stance change.

I'm curious how the timing is going to work for the 60 vs 90 second timers; I will probably just keep doing what I'm currently doing and have 30 seconds of downtime on Riddle of Fire + Brotherhood so I can stack it with Inner Release + Friends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

And I was just complaining about YoshiP being a middling designer who gets way too many free passes because he managed to stick together a decent MMO with the full resources of a giant company behind him. Half-assed updates, casters being back in the dumpster (just delete them and make Melee and Bard Fantasy already), and flailing random-rear end job overhauls are strangling any goodwill I had for the dev team personally.

Lol this is dumb. The mechanical imbalances in this game are super marginal, especially by comparison to it's peers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lol this is dumb. The mechanical imbalances in this game are super marginal, especially by comparison to it's peers.

Was it Warlords of Draenor where Blizzard dumpstered Demonology because they just didn't want anyone playing it, or was that MoP?

FFXIV's dev team has occasionally been somewhat tone deaf to class balance, even for casual play (Warrior in 2.X being garbage for a long time, Paladins having zero AoE through all of 2.X and 3.X, etc.), but they're also one of the few MMO dev teams that I've seen actively admitting that they were wrong and backtracking instead of retrenching themselves further in their decisions. I can't remember the last time I saw MMO devs doing something even remotely similar to the removal of the movement restrictions on BRD/MCH once 4.X rolled around.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

:lol:

FF14 defense brigade, assemble!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Huh, Riddle of Earth applies the GL extension after you get hit, not just by popping the skill.

Well, guess you're never getting used.

the wording on the tool tip is a bit weird
it's a very good button by the way

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think yoship is considered a superstar within SQEX less because he's God's own gift to game design and more because he took them from a position of near financial collapse into making a poo poo ton of money. Things were pretty dire for a while after 1.0 wet the bed.

And yeah, by MMO standards they are still pretty responsive to players even if they sometimes get shackled by things like old code or differences between what the Japanese players want and what the western players want (or continuing to employ lead developers with their heads stuck in circa 2000 game design).

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Instead of calling other people names, why not give a reasonable explanation to why this guy is wrong in your opinion?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

Was it Warlords of Draenor where Blizzard dumpstered Demonology because they just didn't want anyone playing it, or was that MoP?

FFXIV's dev team has occasionally been somewhat tone deaf to class balance, even for casual play (Warrior in 2.X being garbage for a long time, Paladins having zero AoE through all of 2.X and 3.X, etc.), but they're also one of the few MMO dev teams that I've seen actively admitting that they were wrong and backtracking instead of retrenching themselves further in their decisions. I can't remember the last time I saw MMO devs doing something even remotely similar to the removal of the movement restrictions on BRD/MCH once 4.X rolled around.

It was WoD. I think it was WoD where they also rolled back the Hunter changes they added in Cataclysm I think? And forced them to stand still and cast again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, i already miss Berserk. Dang, these 4.2 WAR changes. Running 50 dungeons with the new WAR will loving suck, and even 60s to some extent. The whole makeover seems designed solely with level 70 in mind.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FF14 is well balanced for an MMO, but they still have these really dumb quirks they refuse to get rid of and some them change the perception of how balanced it actually is, such as slashing/blunt/piercing resistances which seemingly minor also go a long way towards dictating group compositions and other bad things they won't let go of like locking the defining mechanic of most jobs, such as Mudra to level 30 up, not letting you have proper AoE until level 50 or so, not letting you have a rotation until level 26, or the brand new forcing you to watch the cutscenes in a dungeon which changes the dungeon from 20 minutes but it gets done for the noob who needed it to a solid hour+ or poorly written tripe that no one in their right mind will ever queue for again.

They probably need to take a long hard look at utility in general for the game and then pare it back, spread it around and/or create genuine competition for each type of vital utility like trick attack or AST cards or just remove them entirely. That's an expansion level thing easily though.

Bolow posted:

It was WoD. I think it was WoD where they also rolled back the Hunter changes they added in Cataclysm I think? And forced them to stand still and cast again.

At least they're rolling back Grimoire of Sacrifice to its Mists of Pandaria iteration in the new expansion from the look of it. No pet huge chaos bolts Destro Lock back again??? :getin:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 28, 2018

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

orcane posted:

Compare FFXIV balance : https://www.fflogs.com/statistics/17/#aggregate=amount

Top is summoner at 4900, bottom is red mage at 4300, difference of 14%.

To WoW : http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/targets-1-ilvl-960-fight-real/

Top is demo warlock at 2.5M, bottom is outlaw rogue at 1.55M, difference of 61%.

I'd say FFXIV is pretty balanced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philonius posted:

Compare FFXIV balance : https://www.fflogs.com/statistics/17/#aggregate=amount

Top is summoner at 4900, bottom is red mage at 4300, difference of 14%.

To WoW : http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/targets-1-ilvl-960-fight-real/

Top is demo warlock at 2.5M, bottom is outlaw rogue at 1.55M, difference of 61%.

I'd say FFXIV is pretty balanced.

Those WoW numbers are a bit out, the gear for that link is quite a bit behind the curve compared to the real live game right now too.
It has Demo Locks top of the pack in general for example but Affliction is definitely the best Lock spec right now.
I mean, just look at the top parses in the world for the third to last and penultimate bosses in the final tier.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that WoW specs generally have a niche to fill and are only really overpowered or unbalanced when they're doing really good in the niche that isn't theirs, so comparing Demonology to Outlaw isn't necessarily fair.

Because if you look at actual logs, Outlaw's actually doing better than Demo but they're pretty close.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/17#class=Rogue&spec=Outlaw

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/17#class=Warlock&spec=Demonology

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 28, 2018

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

vOv posted:

That made me realize: this is probably a dumb question, but is the 'orchestral-sounding' for this game like Moebius actually recorded or is it all made on computers?

Except for Answers/Dragonsong/Revolutions, all the orchestrations in FFXIV are synthesized. They're very high-quality synthesis, but still synthesis nonetheless.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hey be salty about the unskippable scenes if you want, it's a good thing people are gonna be able to see the cutscenes. You think you're time is so important and could be better spent? Do something else then, no one has a gun to your head.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I know it's all relative, mudflation happens in all MMOs, and stats have greatly inflated since I last played in Cata, but it still strikes me that the difference between first and second place on Aggramar is almost 300,000 dps

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They could see the cutscenes before.

This isn't something that suddenly enables the option.

World War Mammories posted:

I know it's all relative, mudflation happens in all MMOs, and stats have greatly inflated since I last played in Cata, but it still strikes me that the difference between first and second place on Aggramar is almost 300,000 dps

The second place player has the higher ilvl but first place has a relinquished 910 Arcano with a socket and the 1000 legendary Argus trinket which isn't part of the 2 legendary limit so without looking at second place, I'd assume #1's gear is significantly better by default, and might have just had a good pull to boot as it's an old parse as well.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 28, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The second place player has the higher ilvl but first place has a relinquished 910 Arcano with a socket and the 1000 legendary Argus trinket which isn't part of the 2 legendary limit so without looking at second place, I'd assume #1's gear is significantly better by default, and might have just had a good pull to boot as it's an old parse as well.

Oh yeah, if they went to the journal after the fact. For anyone who wanted to experience the story as it was happening, you had to find patient people beforehand, now no one has a choice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The logic probably goes something like: if a newbie doesn't already have a high level friend telling you to not DF those two dungeons they will DF them, everybody else wants to speed run, and 15 minutes later they're asking "what the gently caress was that" and sour on the game especially when they see they have literally a hundred quests to go before HW. Meanwhile the people running MSQR aren't going to quit the game over this.

e: they may quit doing MSQR in the west though at which point the devs will probably be forced to come up with an actual solution :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Do something else then, no one has a gun to your head.

That's the problem with the change: no one wants to spend 50+ minutes looking at cutscenes they've already seen and doing trivial snoozefest fights for 200 Poetics. The previous problem (seeing the cutscenes and nothing else of the dungeon) is replaced by a different problem (new players can't even get into the appropriate dungeons because no one wants to do them).

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vermain posted:

That's the problem with the change: no one wants to spend 50+ minutes looking at cutscenes they've already seen and doing trivial snoozefest fights for 200 Poetics. The previous problem (seeing the cutscenes and nothing else of the dungeon) is replaced by a different problem (new players can't even get into the appropriate dungeons because no one wants to do them).

Exactly. I've been farming poetics for a bit to get another anime weapon, but I won't even consider doing main story roulette NOW, with skippable cutscenes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm actually not even convinced this will solve the main issue of the dungeons (new players stuck in cutscenes while everyone else rushes ahead), because you can still just mash the dialogue button to zoom past most of it while the new players are taking their team reading. I can especially see this happening in Praetorium on Gaius, because his intro cutscene is like four solid minutes of talking and a few choose-your-own-response popups. People are also still going to do the speedrun strats that will leave new people lagging behind as they try to figure out where the heck to go. It's a cosmetic band-aid that doesn't fundamentally fix the issue with either of the two dungeons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also lol at getting indignant when someone shits on a game in its thread and people go "uh no"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The only time I've ever done MSQR dungeons is with other goons while running newbies through them unsynced.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I can't speak for everyone but I sure would have liked to see the cutscenes in context when I did MSQR for the first time. "Go back to the inn and watch them later" isn't really an acceptable solution in that sense either.

There are better solutions but maybe not ones to be implemented in a patch that already contains a bunch of other stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still haven't watched those cutscenes.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

orcane posted:

Thank you, I love that everyone circles the wagons when someone suggests that FF XIV has some serious underlying issues that the developers seem to be perfectly fine with. Does the meta in WoW at least change every once in a while? Because for DPS it's basically been the same for three years now.

Don't even get me started on the cash grab that the Castrum/Praetorium changes obviously are, or the recycling of gear from less than a year ago. The whole 4.x cycle really feels like an exercise in profit-taking for minimum effort, and at least for me it's burning off my considerable goodwill from ARR and HW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Thank you, I love that everyone circles the wagons when someone suggests that FF XIV has some serious underlying issues that the developers seem to be perfectly fine with. Does the meta in WoW at least change every once in a while? Because for DPS it's basically been the same for three years now.

Don't even get me started on the cash grab that the Castrum/Praetorium changes obviously are, or the recycling of gear from less than a year ago. The whole 4.x cycle really feels like an exercise in profit-taking for minimum effort, and at least for me it's burning off my considerable goodwill from ARR and HW.

lol what