Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Lone Badger posted:

He also gets weapon upgrade kits from robots by punching them.
And he 'fixes' the argent energy converter lenses via a quick stomp.

To be fair he's not fixing them, he's rather deliberately breaking them because he doesn't want to have to do this poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I know it's just a gameplay abstraction, but the idea of BJ just taking day-trips to Venus to kill mid-level Nazi officers stretches the bounds of believably for me, even in this most absurd of games.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Crazy Achmed posted:

You know, I am a bit disappointed with how the "terror-billy" powerup/ability works. Why should it slow down time? What it should do instead is have all affected NPCs freeze in horror for a short duration - I was expecting a bunch of terrified "mein gott" soundbites, but instead we just get a little bullet time.

Conversely, if I could run this game, I can be absolutely certain I would love that ability. But then again I've loved bullet time in general ever since I found a mod to add it to classic Unreal Tournament, so I'm obviously biased.

Although I do agree that it's wasted potential, in that it's described as enemies freezing in horror at the sight of Terror-Billy coming back from actual death but depicted as nothing of the sort. Not enough games have enemies show actual, proper terror at the protagonist's ability to go through huge swathes of them without breaking a sweat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I know it's just a gameplay abstraction, but the idea of BJ just taking day-trips to Venus to kill mid-level Nazi officers stretches the bounds of believably for me, even in this most absurd of games.

I mean, if you had a nazi flying saucer wouldn't you take it out for a spin just to terrify the poo poo out of the Nazi Venus Command by showing up and killing a bunch of them at random intervals?

Cos I would.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

JT Jag posted:

What is unbelievable about BJ Blazkowicz going out of his way to murder a shitload of Nazis

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Maggy posted:

What is unbelievable about BJ Blazkowicz going out of his way to murder a shitload of Nazis

I agree, when he was stuck in a room with a single Nazi while he was supposed to maintain cover, he loving muscle memory'd that Nazi, blowing his cover (almost).

Him flying to Venus to perform done Nazicide seems well in character for him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The thing we've learned about BJ throughout these games is that he is single minded. If there's a Nazi around that he hasn't killed, he will go kill that Nazi. Just for the temerity to exist in the same universe as BJ.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

bman in 2288 posted:

I agree, when he was stuck in a room with a single Nazi while he was supposed to maintain cover, he loving muscle memory'd that Nazi, blowing his cover (almost).

Him flying to Venus to perform done Nazicide seems well in character for him.

I assumed his sudden ott outburst in that scene is because mere moments before it's 100% confirmed his mother was indeed killed at a concentration camp. Before then the game sorta keeps the small possibility that she's alive.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GUI posted:

I assumed his sudden ott outburst in that scene is because mere moments before it's 100% confirmed his mother was indeed killed at a concentration camp. Before then the game sorta keeps the small possibility that she's alive.
There's also the fact that BJ was within stomping distance of Hitler himself, yet actually offing the guy would blow his cover as shown in the video. I have no doubt that BJ was inwardly fuming that he couldn't cut the head off of the Nazi political structure even though he had what is most likely (barring any future DLC/sequels) the best opportunity to do so.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kadorhal posted:

Although I do agree that it's wasted potential, in that it's described as enemies freezing in horror at the sight of Terror-Billy coming back from actual death but depicted as nothing of the sort. Not enough games have enemies show actual, proper terror at the protagonist's ability to go through huge swathes of them without breaking a sweat.
Exactly. Both our idea and what the game does are exactly the same thing in terms of game mechanics - when the player is spotted, the enemy NPC slows/stops for a moment before resuming normal behaviour. Why the devs missed this opportunity is beyond me, given all the other crazy stuff that happens in this game.

Does anyone else think that the non-stomping-hitler scene was also an indication to the player that old uncle adolf's no longer more than a fgurehead? That is to say that things have moved on and the real problem is now the many other people under him who are actually running the reich. That said, I still hope there is a redux of the mecha-hitler chaingun duel from Wolf3D.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Does anyone else think that the non-stomping-hitler scene was also an indication to the player that old uncle adolf's no longer more than a figurehead? That is to say that things have moved on and the real problem is now the many other people under him who are actually running the reich. That said, I still hope there is a redux of the mecha-hitler chaingun duel from Wolf3D.

While watching the TNO LP, I figured Deathshead was the actual leader of the Nazis, whether there was still Hitler or anybody else formally above him or not. After all, he was in charge not only of their weapons R&D by that point, but also had the troops under his command. And look at where he was headquartered--he literally was a man in a high castle. And the final boss fight in that game was against him piloting what looked like a modern re-imagining of the mecha-hitler suit from Wolf3D. So you got your chaingun duel already. :colbert:

That Hitler is a figurehead at this point in the game seems to be a given. It clearly wasn't his leadership that won the war--Deathshead probably shipped him off to Venus at the earliest possible opportunity for "safety", giving himself free rein to take over. I recently played through RTCW again, and the notes you find reinforce this, in my mind. Deathshead had a really low opinion of the people he was taking orders from, and while he never mentions Hitler directly, it wouldn't surprise me if his disdain went all the way to the top.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I still want to know who the Mecha-Hitler from the original game is given that Hitler's apparently still around. Or maybe it's the same Hitler revived by Nazi science-sorcery and that's why he's really so obsessed with BJ.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Hitler clone, obviously.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I adore that he thinks of this movie as his great masterwork as an artist and forces people to claim he painted the great works from history.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I still want to know who the Mecha-Hitler from the original game is given that Hitler's apparently still around. Or maybe it's the same Hitler revived by Nazi science-sorcery and that's why he's really so obsessed with BJ.

It's still not 100% confirmed whether classic Wolf3D is in continuity with RtCW and everything later, but if it is, I think I already mentioned a file you can find in The Old Blood where a guy had the chance to meet Hitler around '46 and basically described a walking corpse with cold skin and the stench of rotting about him.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Kadorhal posted:

It's still not 100% confirmed whether classic Wolf3D is in continuity with RtCW and everything later, but if it is, I think I already mentioned a file you can find in The Old Blood where a guy had the chance to meet Hitler around '46 and basically described a walking corpse with cold skin and the stench of rotting about him.

There are some files later on that kind of address this discrepancy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Like I said we would, this is the episode where we complete our contraption collection and pick up the Battle Walker. What is the Battle Walker, you ask? It's a pair of stilts. No, seriously, you double tap jump and you get to be about five feet taller but move around slower and can sometimes hop on to platforms that were previously unaccessable. Each contraption has some limitation or another. You can only crawl through specific vents with the constrictor harness or charge through some walls with the Ramshackle, for example. Those two make up for it by giving you either really nice perks to go with them, like the Terror Billy perk or being able to deal damage by sprinting into enemies. The Battle Walker's perks are...ok, not amazing by any means, but not terrible. At the same time it's non-navigation abilities (not getting to higher platforms is what I mean here) are extremely limited. Being taller means you are just a more exposed target in this game, so there's not a really compelling reason to walk around with the stilts on. There may be some situations where popping over a wall could be helpful, granted, but they are kind of limited and the game is already designed to let you play it without that vertical element being a factor.

There is something to be said for taking the walker first, however. The constrictor harness is in New York, so you can get it on your first trip out if you know where to go (like I did) and the Ramshackle doesn't bring anything overly necessary to the game, especially if you are playing stealthily, so you can pick it up for a lower enigma card cost than going to Venus to pick up the walker. I think the only bad choice for first item is the harness, really. You can get it in ten minutes after you pick one of the other contraptions for three enigma cards, so why bother taking it right off the bat unless you really suck and need the terror billy ability that badly.

Also, I finally goomba stomp a nazi in this video. You are welcome.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

So, what exactly is the point of toggling the Magnum ability on or off for the pistol? All the others look to have at least some point to it afterwards - rifle's scope would hinder close-range shooting, shockhammer's triple-shell blast would be wasteful against weak singular targets, SMG's nailgun mode sacrifices fire rate that's the whole reason you'd use it instead of the rifle, and kampfpistole's rockets removes the ability to bounce grenades around corners if you're out of hand grenades - but the pistol's looks to be increased damage for nothing more than an unnoticeable increase in recoil and slightly louder gunshots that the suppressor still completely negates anyway.

I'm assuming, of course, that you actually did fire the pistol with Magnum toggled on at some point. This game gets pretty buggy about actually physically displaying its upgrades, I'm noticing (every other time you pull out the rifle now that it has jungle mags I'm noticing the left-side one already being empty), although I'm pretty sure I saw the right icon for it on the HUD earlier.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
How many episodes until the continuation of the story?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cryohazard posted:

How many episodes until the continuation of the story?

Hard to answer. I plan on doing Wyatt stuff in the period between now and the end game content. It'll be a minute either way.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some of these ubermensch are really ugly, case in point: This episode's title card.

The stuff we see in this episode is what I have been talking about with the game changing up the environments you had already played through for these side missions. Roswell's city streets were a parade grounds last we were there, now it's crowded with Nazis and KKK. BJ's childhood home has been recreated as a movie set that feels like the developers pulled a bunch of assets from the New Orleans levels on the edges (the wall to the right as soon as you start the level is pulled directly from New Orleans) and combined it with a bunch of unique stuff and totally redid most of the layout while also adding actual enemies to the area. Most of the other side mission areas are not a radical change from what you see in the main story the way these two are, which is why they are in the same episode (a fact I failed to mention in the video). One thing that bugs me about side missions is that almost every one of the "bosses" we kill has some specific task like deploying drones or collecting intelligence or what have you. It would have been appreciated if knocking these guys off effected the other missions or the main story in some way. I would have loved it if killing the guy building new drones for the Nazis would somehow reduce the occurrence of robots and the flying laser drones, for example. Sadly, MachineGames decided to not go this route and just gave us a reason why Grace wants us to kill them without causing downstream effects.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do the Klansmen speak German? Also, I don't think the hood protected that one Klansman against your shot; he only survived because I don't think there was anything important in there in the first place :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Do the Klansmen speak German? Also, I don't think the hood protected that one Klansman against your shot; he only survived because I don't think there was anything important in there in the first place :v:

Yeah, they have generic german enemy dialogue as far as I can tell.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

In the first Roswell mission there's some Klansmen learning/practicing/butchering German.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

CommissarMega posted:

The push for America prior to this is literally Mandated German by X date, so even the slowest Klansman is probably proficient in horribly broken German.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

In the first Roswell mission there's some Klansmen learning/practicing/butchering German.

Donkey Shaun.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think the main reason to get the SMG silencer is for the perk that boosts the damage of silenced weapons.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
If there's ever a Wolfenstein movie, I know where it must be shot:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Alexeythegreat posted:

If there's ever a Wolfenstein movie, I know where it must be shot:

Where's that?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

tarbrush posted:

Where's that?

St. Petersburg
https://www.google.ru/maps/dir/59.8437428,30.3255316//@59.8433386,30.3249308,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I actually prefer the silenced nailgun smg over the silenced pistol for stealth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Can you believe that's the best Wyatt picture I could get that fit on screen? Ugh.

I put it to the thread a little while ago if it would be better to do an hour or so summary of the changes in the Wyatt timeline or if I should do a full playthrough on easy to showcase it all. The choice was firmly in favor of the latter and so here we are. Not to worry, I'm still chipping away at the side missions in the background here, but I've made the decision that I'll show those off after the main game, but I still want to get the upgrades in the levels and work towards finishing off the perk tree before I head to the final mission. I don't want to leave the thread without content while I work my way through all the side stuff, so I though doing the Wyatt playthrough would be a good idea.

For the first episode you won't notice much difference between Fergus and Wyatt as neither has a major role to play in any of the cutscenes or in game interaction until the last couple minutes here. After this, though...well, some scenes are different whether Wyatt is the focus or not. Also you don't get the laser gun, but that's next episode. The neat thing I'll be pointing out a great deal is that if Fergus or Wyatt isn't needed for a scene they simply aren't in there. It's easy to miss the first time through the game, but when you come back like I am now it gets a bit more obvious. I think that's just smart budgeting to an extent, you can just insert the Wyatt or Fergus specific pre-rendered sequences in with cutscenes that they don't appear in and minimize how much you need to rework every scene. I do wonder if they had used in-game graphics if it would have been easier to change them out as necessary, but I don't think they lose anything by making this split either. I'm weird in that I find that kind of asset/time management interesting.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seeing that sequence again really makes me feel sorry for Sigrun, she literally saved everyone's lives and is getting poo poo for it. I erally hope she's not in the room when we put a bullet through Frau Engel's head, that would be the last thing she needs to deal with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno it might do her some good honestly, her mum's a right twat.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Can you shoot Wyatt/Fergus and Sigrun in that scene?

Also I like how Wyatt reacts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Donkringel posted:

Nah, no chance of that. Wyatt, I think, is a much funnier character than Fergus is naturally. I think that leads to better scenes at several points in the game because they try to play up the character you choose to survive at the start/in the previous game as a vehicle for a lot of jokes. Wyatt's Gee Whiz attitude works better in that role than Fergus' Go gently caress Yourself one.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Seeing that sequence again really makes me feel sorry for Sigrun, she literally saved everyone's lives and is getting poo poo for it. I erally hope she's not in the room when we put a bullet through Frau Engel's head, that would be the last thing she needs to deal with.

Fergus is immediately hostile, Wyatt thanks her for saving us and gives her a gun. I really do appreciate the differences in this scene and others as you don't feel like you just swapped out a name and character model when you pick one over the other.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Donkringel posted:

BJ will immediately put his gun down if you try to shoot while aiming at friendlies in this game and TNO/TOB. He even does it if you try to shoot NPC civilian/ally corpses.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GUI posted:

BJ will immediately put his gun down if you try to shoot while aiming at friendlies in this game and TNO/TOB. He even does it if you try to shoot NPC civilian/ally corpses.

Oh that is clever of the designers.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

GUI posted:

BJ is a responsible gun user. The most responsible going by how many Nazis he has killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

White Coke posted:

BJ is a responsible gun user. The most responsible going by how many Nazis he has killed.

His trigger discipline mantra is "pull the trigger if you are aiming at a Nazi."

• Locked thread