Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zereth posted:

You know, I want to know what that section of the bible where God loses a wrestling match is like in the Scion world.

Jacob would be pretty perfect as a PC if you wanted to go way back into mythic days, given he's kind of a conniving rear end in a top hat who is good at fighting and has a divine destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would suspect that a Catholicism that resembled the actual one would have some kind of category like saints that includes dudes like Zeus and Thor. They would probably acknowledge their power especially if they are generally pro-social but I suspect they would take some pains to say, no, we're VENERATING Ascendant Thor with the Thursday masses, we WORSHIP the ACTUAL God on Saturdays and Sundays.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
The developer has talked about monotheism being, in part, a useful way for some pantheons to undermine other pantheons, but he's also said he won't leave the Abrahamic religions in the lurch. We might need to wait until later books to see the in-setting status of Yahweh and whether he has scions or anything (Past, you know, the one.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc Aquatic posted:

The developer has talked about monotheism being, in part, a useful way for some pantheons to undermine other pantheons, but he's also said he won't leave the Abrahamic religions in the lurch. We might need to wait until later books to see the in-setting status of Yahweh and whether he has scions or anything (Past, you know, the one.)

Backdoor relaunch of In Nomine coming!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I mean, people retroactively deflect or gloss over their failures all the time, so while it's a bit unsatisfying and boring from a world-building angle, it's not completely incredible that Christianity would develop exactly as-is no matter how many times the Chosen One's pants fell down in front of everybody.

Cool, thanks. This meshes a lot better with the Scale rules.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I like the reveal that apparently the gods just sometimes set up a fake mortal town and raise their scions in it to get them ready to go real earth. Mostly because it makes me want to do a game where everyone has that origin and then have them slowly figure it out in character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so basically reverse The Good Place

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, basically.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean, keep in mind, a lot of the stuff being mentioned did happen. Christianity spread alongside colonialism because it just kept incorporating poo poo from native religions and going "ok but check it: what if it was actually Jesus the entire time?!" Then vaguely gesturing with weapons, because, well, again, colonialism. Those native religions also never fully went away, they just became sort of a sidecar. Religion, after all, is cultural. And Christianity wasn't spread by literal Divine Adventurers, it was spread by armies.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Henotheism is cool and I'm glad that Scion 2e will give me a chance to use the word so I get to talk about it to players who never heard it before.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It'd be amazing if you changed almost nothing about Catholicism in Scion. Like they are still going around just yoinking the poo poo out of the cultural practices of the areas they are trying to convert while actual gods are yelling at them. I mean some of the Norse gods are profoundly stupid, I could see a charismatic enough evangelist convincing one they are actually Jesus. Catholics as the used car salesmen of the theological world would be a hoot to see.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You could make a setting where syncretic belief systems, specifically, are actually the correct ones, but that'd probably require making some bolder (and potentially awkward) decisions beyond just saying "everything is real."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mulva posted:

It'd be amazing if you changed almost nothing about Catholicism in Scion. Like they are still going around just yoinking the poo poo out of the cultural practices of the areas they are trying to convert while actual gods are yelling at them. I mean some of the Norse gods are profoundly stupid, I could see a charismatic enough evangelist convincing one they are actually Jesus. Catholics as the used car salesmen of the theological world would be a hoot to see.

Odin and Jesus sit in a bar. 'I hung on a cross for six hours, you know." "Pussy. I made it nine days on a tree." "Yeah, but you don't have to put up with those guys who keep trying to convince me I'm a Christian and not a Jew. I'm pretty sure that sucks more."

EDIT:
Literal Angry Jewish Jesus vs All-American Blonde Jesus showdown in the parking lot??

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

EDIT:
Literal Angry Jewish Jesus vs All-American Blonde Jesus showdown in the parking lot??

Cold open for season 2 of American Gods please.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Book owns but hopefully the Hero text is on the way too so it can be actually ran

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

I like the reveal that apparently the gods just sometimes set up a fake mortal town and raise their scions in it to get them ready to go real earth. Mostly because it makes me want to do a game where everyone has that origin and then have them slowly figure it out in character.

Now I'm going to have to set that stuff in high school and call it Class of the Titans, aren't I?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm still reading, but so far I'm finding it difficult to conceive of how the god-tier of play would work. Do you just play incarnations on earth, or do you just have adventures in the overworld where fatebinding isn't an issue? Or is it both? Something else? How'd it work in 1e?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Desiden posted:

How'd it work in 1e?

It didn't.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slimnoid posted:

It didn't.

In this way, it was functionally identical to the other tiers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

EDIT:

Supply Side Jesus and Murrican Jesus team up to try to kidnap and assume the identity of Actual Jesus, but forget that there's only one thing that can make him mad enough to take a whip to some dudes: Making his father's house a den of thieves.

Alternately: Are your syncretic scion buddies bad enough dudes to rescue Actual Jesus?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

In this way, it was functionally identical to the other tiers.

Who knew that taking Epic Dexterity as your characters focus would break the game?

Everyone

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Who knew that taking Epic Dexterity as your characters focus would break the game?

Everyone

To this day it baffles me. It was so blindingly obvious, yet they did it anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Everyone

That's not really fair, I mean, Scion 1E released 11 years ago, in 2007. It's not like there were decades of game design they could have paid attention to or anything.

I kid. I bought the Scion books almost entirely because of the totally :krad: art. 2E is looking like a really pleasant surprise though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really liked the idea behind first edition, but 2nd is looking a lot better. The world seems way more interesting this time, and having more pantheons to choose from is great.

I do want to commend them on doing so much work making the pantheons better and more sensitive to the cultures they come from. My friend is doing a lot of research on African religion for the 7th Sea and it sounds like a ton of work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's sad that a big step in 2E's right direction was not basing everything around the adventures of a handful of pregens. Admittedly I'm kinda curious as to how functional those characters are from a mechanics perspective, although even as I type that I know it boils down to how many dots of Epic Dexterity they have.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hah, “deal base damage on a success, deal damage +1 on an exceptional success, that’s it for damage” is an idea I had like last year. I’m not too enthused with the skill and attribute list, though, or the weirdly elaborate way dots are assigned.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I talked with Neall a few months back about how they’re going to handle God tier, and he described is as much more rules light, story focused game. I don’t know how that’ll work in practice but I’m definitely interested.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm really only hearing about 2e through this thread, is it going to be similar to the original where the power tier levels are split out into different books?

e: far more important question, is there going to be lots of Michael Komarck art?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 29, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

food court bailiff posted:

I'm really only hearing about 2e through this thread, is it going to be similar to the original where the power tier levels are split out into different books?

e: far more important question, is there going to be lots of Michael Komarck art?

Yes to the first, not sure on the second.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Yes, backers should be getting a text version of Hero Soon(tm). Demigod and God will be in the works after the companion and bestiary most likely.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
OPP newsletter says the Aeon kickstarter goes live tomorrow. I love Aberrant in all its broken, meta plot driven glory, so I'm down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Soonmot posted:

OPP newsletter says the Aeon kickstarter goes live tomorrow. I love Aberrant in all its broken, meta plot driven glory, so I'm down.

Same, except I don't care about Aberrant so Trinity and Adventure! instead.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Aberrant is great if you ignore the rules, and the metaplot, and most of the characters!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there any info about the new edition out there? I never really cared about Trinity, but I have a soft spot for Abberrant (IT'S NOT ABOUT TOY SALES) and I really genuinely like Adventure! quite a bit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The basic idea of a world where superhumans show up and society has to adapt to their existence, including everything from terror to celebrity worship, is compelling and good. Everything past the pitch on Aberrant is not. Aberrant is the exact sort of thing that could do great with a modern reboot starting from core concept.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Night10194 posted:

They might contest their divinity, mind. But things would've diverged a lot if you could demonstrate, for reals, that Babylon took over Judah specifically because Marduk actually beat up Yahweh rather than allowing the innovative development of the idea that Yahweh had allowed his peoples' defeat on purpose.

There are plenty of things that you can demonstrate for reals did/didn't happen that large swathes of people still vehemently insist went down differently. So many of the things "everybody knows" are oversimplified misunderstandings at best and outright lies at worst. i mean, we have Christopher Columbus on record, in his own writings, saying things like "boy, the natives keep being so nice to us. it'll be super loving easy to brutally enslave these trusting idiots and take all their stuff", and people still act like suggesting that maybe he wasn't such a great guy is an act of libelous historical revisionism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose there's also the thing we've all got to keep in mind, which is that most people in history's religions are real to them already. Like, default history is 'these things are important and have power' even without people directly shooting lasers from their eyes regularly. I think that's the angle I'd lean into more if I wanted to justify the world being much like it is now for something like Scion.

I'm a religious studies person so the idea of a world without monotheism would just be inherently fascinating to me, it just wouldn't look like ours. So I get why they kept monotheism around.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Aberrant was a ton of fun once you realized that it was in almost no way a super hero game.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Trinity Kickstarter is up. Doing the changeling style preview excepts. 2 per week, first 2 weeks core last 2 Aeon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/trinity-continuum-aeon-rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I had to really read the pledge levels to figure them out.