Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TildeATH posted:

These movies are so anti-loving that I think it’s more likely they’ll reveal a la Black Mirror that none of them have any genitals or erogenous zones whatsoever.

we need some nier up in this b*tch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CODChimera posted:

*Poe calling Hux scene*

*Any Rose scene*
Han getting called on Endor?

And Rose is a better written more rounded character than Luke in ANH, so I can't complain.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 28, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

And Rose is a better written more rounded character than Luke in ANH, so I can't complain.

She might have been better if they'd hired an actress who could act

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

She might have been better if they'd hired an actress who could act

Same with Rey, Holdo, Leia, Maz, and Phasma right?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I honestly would have liked Rose more if she weren't tied to what was essentially Finn going through the same character beats again, ending with him fighting a character he already utterly humiliated with no real build up and ending in a super meh way. That isn't really the character's fault though and it's definitely nothing against the actress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rose sucks. Finn sucks. Poe sucks. The First Order sucks. The Rebels suck. The movie sucked.

Rey is kinda cool. Luke was cool. Ren is kinda cool.

Best character was Benicio Del Toro and I don't even know what his character's name is.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

UmOk posted:

Same with Rey, Holdo, Leia, Maz, and Phasma right?

Carrie Fisher most definitely was terrible in both the new movies. I think it’s weird that we can’t just objectively admit that. She’s really terrible and wooden and has zero expressiveness. She was a pretty good actor before and a really funny and charismatic person but her acting in these movies was terrible.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rose is on the prequels rolling on the glass level of awfulness.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

whatever7 posted:

prequels rolling on the glass

Nice typo, but c'mon, it wasn't that bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

Was Anakin the heir to a royal bloodline?

they did do the stupid virgin birth pure force baby bullshit.

bushisms.txt posted:

Good thing it wasn't awful then. It's got some of the best moments in the franchise

i can understand digging the movie but loving lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 28, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Carrie Fisher most definitely was terrible in both the new movies. I think it’s weird that we can’t just objectively admit that. She’s really terrible and wooden and has zero expressiveness. She was a pretty good actor before and a really funny and charismatic person but her acting in these movies was terrible.

No dude. Carrie Fisher has been a bad actor always. Literally every one in the OT was except maybe Ford

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

UmOk posted:

No dude. Carrie Fisher has been a bad actor always. Literally every one in the OT was except maybe Ford

Noted bad actors Peter Cushing and Alex Guinness

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I almost feel bad for RJ. I mean what is the man supposed to do now? I’d just crawl into a hole and wait out the AI bitcoin war(s). Maybe direct some actually good episodes of BCS.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He has three more good Star Wars films to direct.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i do like riann johnson because his twitter defenses are hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They (secret Hollywood/Disney society) should replace him quietly with Rain Wilson and see if anyone notices. They look more or less alike and their names sound similar too.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He has three more good Star Wars films to direct.

Quoted for :toxx:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 28, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do like riann johnson because his twitter defenses are hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Citing some obscure tie-in reference book from about 10 years ago proves that he is the director Star Wars fanboys deserve.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

sponges posted:

Noted bad actor James Earl Jones

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sponges posted:

Cushing was good. I don't understand why Staar Wars fans think Alec Guinness was so good.

James Jones was a good voice actor I guess. The guy in the suit was really good at twisting his torso back and forth.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

UmOk posted:

Cushing was good. I don't understand why Staar Wars fans think Alec Guinness was so good.

James Jones was a good voice actor I guess. The guy in the suit was really good at twisting his torso back and forth.

I’d say the only mediocre actors in the OT are Hamill and Fisher. Everyone else is fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

UmOk posted:

It was about them being good actors in general, which Alec Guinness certainly was.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like Rian Johnson might do better with his own series just because the tone and themes will actually carry better a lot better. A lot of the ideas in TLJ were good, but it felt like he didn't want to follow from TFA very much, and that a lot of the non-Force stuff was just there to be there since the non jedi-y dudes needed something to do. Which honestly makes me sad because I honestly liked Finn best in TFA.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

UmOk posted:

Because he was an Oscar-winning actor who nominated for another Oscar for his Star Wars role?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Gorelab posted:

I feel like Rian Johnson might do better with his own series just because the tone and themes will actually carry better a lot better. A lot of the ideas in TLJ were good, but it felt like he didn't want to follow from TFA very much, and that a lot of the non-Force stuff was just there to be there since the non jedi-y dudes needed something to do. Which honestly makes me sad because I honestly liked Finn best in TFA.

I just don't get how you do a trilogy without having the basics figured out. I get that you have a lot of leeway to make stuff up as you move forward and change directions as appropriate, but the only thing tying these movies together is the fact you have the same actors, theoretically playing the same characters (and some people even question that).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

sponges posted:

I’d say the only mediocre actors in the OT are Hamill and Fisher. Everyone else is fine.

I think Hamill really improved over time, but YMMV :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will be surprised if Maz Kanata shows up at all in Episode IX.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas movies are tough since he aims for flat acting in most scenes .

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Citing some obscure tie-in reference book from about 10 years ago proves that he is the director Star Wars fanboys deserve.

that was great because every nerd site i saw was all "riann johnson claps back in tthe best way!!" and i'm thinking using some eu poo poo is the worst way to defend a dumb idea lmao

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 28, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Rian misdirection as expected. The majority of criticism isn’t directed at force projection but the execution. It’s as if execution means nothing as long as it’s in some EU book or is bold and not normal. It’s pretty much a free pass to do a Star Wars gay couple in the worst possible way because no one would dare critisize it and at least half of people will blindly defend it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What was wrong with the execution? The whole sequence with Kylo is good and it works well as a twist. The major criticism of it I've seen is the "we haven't seen it before" complaint.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TerminalRaptor posted:

I just don't get how you do a trilogy without having the basics figured out. I get that you have a lot of leeway to make stuff up as you move forward and change directions as appropriate, but the only thing tying these movies together is the fact you have the same actors, theoretically playing the same characters (and some people even question that).

Agreed. The more that comes out about the Last Jedi, the more obvious it is that they didn't even write an outline for this trilogy and seem to be winging it from film to film.

Here are just a few things that have come out to illustrate this.
Why weren't the Knights of Ren in 8? Because Rian didn't trust himself not to kill them
Who are Rey's parents? Rian went over every possibility before deciding they were nobody.
Luke at the end of 7's original introduction, he was supposed to be levitating with a massive amount of rocks. Rian didn't know this until Mark Hammill read the script for 8 and realized that didn't work with Luke abandoning the force.

I enjoyed 8 a lot, however this trilogy could have been much better if they had planned out at least the major plot points of all 3 before filming 7.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Spacebump posted:

Agreed. The more that comes out about the Last Jedi, the more obvious it is that they didn't even write an outline for this trilogy and seem to be winging it from film to film.

Here are just a few things that have come out to illustrate this.
Why weren't the Knights of Ren in 8? Because Rian didn't trust himself not to kill them
Who are Rey's parents? Rian went over every possibility before deciding they were nobody.
Luke at the end of 7's original introduction, he was supposed to be levitating with a massive amount of rocks. Rian didn't know this until Mark Hammill read the script for 8 and realized that didn't work with Luke abandoning the force.

I enjoyed 8 a lot, however this trilogy could have been much better if they had planned out at least the major plot points of all 3 before filming 7.

I seem to recall there at least being some broad points from Lucas which they are obliged to follow as an outline. That's really the only reason I think the trilogy might ultimately work as a whole, if only because I trust Lucas more than The Mouse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Rian misdirection as expected. The majority of criticism isn’t directed at force projection but the execution. It’s as if execution means nothing as long as it’s in some EU book or is bold and not normal. It’s pretty much a free pass to do a Star Wars gay couple in the worst possible way because no one would dare critisize it and at least half of people will blindly defend it.

i think the execution was poor but i find the idea stupid too.

Spacebump posted:

rey's parents being no one is fine (probably one of the better parts of the movie) but lol at that second tidbit.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 28, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

rey's parents being so one is fine (probably one of the better parts of the movie) but lol at that second tidbit.

It would seem that TLJ made TFA better simply by being in the planning stages.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hodgepodge posted:

I seem to recall there at least being some broad points from Lucas which they are obliged to follow as an outline. That's really the only reason I think the trilogy might ultimately work as a whole, if only because I trust Lucas more than The Mouse.

I'll try to find it, but I think Hamill said in an interview that he was disappointed Disney didn't use any of what George had tossed their way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was great because every nerd site i saw was all "riann johnson claps back in tthe best way!!" and i'm thinking using some eu poo poo is the worst way to defend a dumb idea lmao

I'm not too fussed either way but, on another forum, encountered a couple of people who are still mad about the old EU being thrown out getting pissy about "Johnson STEALING our EU to support the FAILING Last Jedi" and I enjoyed that.

TFA and TLJ are both movies Star Wars made by Star Wars fanboys, for better or worse.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Penpal posted:

I'll try to find it, but I think Hamill said in an interview that he was disappointed Disney didn't use any of what George had tossed their way.

I'd like to see it, but keep in mind that Hamill is a bit Mary Sue-ish about Luke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something I am curious about: what level of input does Disney (as opposed to Lucasfilm) have in the production of the Star Wars movies? How does it divvy up between them?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

TildeATH posted:

Regardless, it works for me in the films. People might change when their only son turns into a twisted tortured monster for reasons that may or may not be their own fault. As I see it, the pain of what happened to their family destroyed Leia, Han, and Luke. Just absolutely crushed the souls of the heroes we loved, broke their hearts to pieces. :smith:

Which is also why I absolutely demand an explanation as to how Snoke turned Ben. What Snoke did was a big mother loving deal if you look at the consequences.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will be surprised if Maz Kanata shows up at all in Episode IX.
I think she'll be there for exposition, since she somehow knows stuff she had no business knowing, and with no Leia to fill us in, other characters will be needed to explain all this poo poo they haven't explained.

TerminalRaptor posted:

gently caress yo' mystery box storytelling, JJ! It doesn't work if you show us a box and then toss it off screen and hope we forget the box was even there in the first place! :argh: Don't you loving dare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine they had an outline that said something like, "We want X to happen in 7, Y to happen in 8 and Z to happen in 9," but left it up to the directors how X, Y and Z would actually be achieved.

Daisy Ridley said that Colin Trevorrow made her cry when he told her how he envisioned Rey's story ending in Episode IX, so there are presumably ideas bouncing around at Lucasfilm, but who knows what's left of that now Abrams and Terrio are redrafting the script? (Don't know if that was before Carrie Fisher died or not either.)

• Locked thread