Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anybody else has a problem with Nova Launcher where the option to forget the app drawer position after you close and reopen it does not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I literally didn't know that option existed thirty seconds ago, but now I'm annoyed that it doesn't work for me either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does anyone else has issues with Spotify recognizing Chromecasts/Google Homes/Home sspeaker groups? Some times it works perfectly, others they just vanish from possible cast options and I have no clue how to get them back.

Humerus posted:

Not Spotify but BeyondPod frequently won't see my Home Mini, despite not having issues with my full size Home. Or if I cast to "all speakers" (which is only the two) it will play through the Home and the Mini will come and go. I thought it might be because I had to replace the power cable on the Mini with a generic wall charger and it didn't work right? But it's never been a problem with playing Google Play Music, so who knows.

Did you install the Play Services beta which solved the router DDOSing? One of the symptoms is that casting devices appear to require setup and thus are unavailable to cast to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LastInLine posted:

Did you install the Play Services beta which solved the router DDOSing? One of the symptoms is that casting devices appear to require setup and thus are unavailable to cast to.

Nope, I'm on 11.9.51 which installed on 6 Dec. Should I try the beta and see if that does anything?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, I'm on 11.9.51 which installed on 6 Dec. Should I try the beta and see if that does anything?

Most definitely. I have no idea why they didn't push this out in the regular channel.

It's so nice to have working lights again!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LastInLine posted:

Most definitely. I have no idea why they didn't push this out in the regular channel.

It's so nice to have working lights again!

Holy gently caress that fixed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy gently caress that fixed it.

Told you, bro. Did you notice how much faster it makes your Google Home? I'm so glad I didn't replace my Time Capsule.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Apparently, MediaTracker isn't under active development anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that scan in new DVDs and BluRays and provide a way to track their location? I need location because every time my shelf space fills up, I move another bunch of disks to a storage bin, and so those bins have no coherent organization scheme. Since I have the inventory in MediaTracker right now, CSV import would also be a really nice feature.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Apparently, MediaTracker isn't under active development anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that scan in new DVDs and BluRays and provide a way to track their location? I need location because every time my shelf space fills up, I move another bunch of disks to a storage bin, and so those bins have no coherent organization scheme. Since I have the inventory in MediaTracker right now, CSV import would also be a really nice feature.

I use Libib for similar purposes, but not sure how you'd do location other than setting up different libraries and manually shifting them around. No idea about the CSV import either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm looking for a screen sharing app that can "cast" the phone screen to a PC. Could be over USB, wifi, whatever, just need something reliable that can let me show my screen for a presentation. No Chromecast/HDMI in is available for this, already thought of that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking for a screen sharing app that can "cast" the phone screen to a PC. Could be over USB, wifi, whatever, just need something reliable that can let me show my screen for a presentation. No Chromecast/HDMI in is available for this, already thought of that.

Vysor or allcast maybe

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Blue Train posted:

Vysor or allcast maybe

I'll give those a try, thanks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll give those a try, thanks.

You may also want to see if the pc supports miracast

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=die.diewithme

:lol:

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not free, but there's also AirServer, which makes a PC/Mac an AirPlay, Miracast and Google Cast receiver.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What is a good call screening/blocking app? I have been using CallControl but its wildcard filters don't seem to work, and it tends not to work when calls come in via WiFi VoIP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can get 4 free months of Google Play Music Unlimited right now. For new users only, of course.

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/sulp

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
As a Google music subscriber I'm really interested to see what the supposed hybrid YouTube music/Gmusic app is going to be like when it launches this spring.

I love the ability to upload my own tracks to Google music and have it integrate seemlessly into my library, but my fiance just got Spotify and god drat does it feel miles ahead of Google Music in terms of features and quality of life.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As a Google music subscriber I'm really interested to see what the supposed hybrid YouTube music/Gmusic app is going to be like when it launches this spring.

I love the ability to upload my own tracks to Google music and have it integrate seemlessly into my library, but my fiance just got Spotify and god drat does it feel miles ahead of Google Music in terms of features and quality of life.

I feel you. The main thing I envy is that most curated playlists by artists or record labels (or any kind of promotional playlist) only get published on Spotify, since it's the de facto leader in the market.

If it wasn't for being able to upload my own tracks and the YT Red subscription bundle, I think I'd have jumped ship by now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Anyone else here use the Firefox app? Is it just me, or do password managers seem unable to peer into websites viewed through it? It seems the browser simply gives "Firefox" to the manager when username and password prompts are visible on a page so the manager has no idea what credentials to autofill. I'm enjoying the new app a lot but this is really annoying me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

IAmKale posted:

Anyone else here use the Firefox app? Is it just me, or do password managers seem unable to peer into websites viewed through it? It seems the browser simply gives "Firefox" to the manager when username and password prompts are visible on a page so the manager has no idea what credentials to autofill. I'm enjoying the new app a lot but this is really annoying me.

Works fine for me, so you have lastpass accessibility turned 6 on in your settings?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Works fine for me, so you have lastpass accessibility turned 6 on in your settings?
I'm using 1Password here, not even LastPass offers to autofill in Firefox. 1Password works fine in other apps, though - it seems like it's related to Firefox. I'll poke around in Accessibility, maybe I have too many things trying to autofill.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is amazing. Sadly owning both a powerbank and a phone with fast charging makes this app almost impossible to use. 5/100, app doesn't work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IAmKale posted:

I'm using 1Password here, not even LastPass offers to autofill in Firefox. 1Password works fine in other apps, though - it seems like it's related to Firefox. I'll poke around in Accessibility, maybe I have too many things trying to autofill.

Wait, there are password fillers that can fill out username/password fields in browsers? AFAIK, on Android, that's not possible without the ability to have an extension like on Firefox.

Are you saying 1Password works fine in Chrome? It can tell which page/url you're on and fill the username/password fields?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastPass will detect and fill in usernames and passwords in Chrome on Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well, huh. I don't remember that from back when I was using it...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

people started making form filler apps for Android a while ago. the first ones worked by abusing the accessibility APIs. developers realized they could use these systems to make form filler apps because the accessibility APIs allow you to "peek" into other apps on a device and do things like scrape text from them and inject text into text input fields

this is really sloppy from a security standpoint though, and a lot of malware has abused the accessibility systems already. so in Android 8.0, Google added some dedicated form filler/password manager APIs. a lot of password manager apps are still using the old methods though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

people started making form filler apps for Android a while ago. the first ones worked by abusing the accessibility APIs. developers realized they could use these systems to make form filler apps because the accessibility APIs allow you to "peek" into other apps on a device and do things like scrape text from them and inject text into text input fields

this is really sloppy from a security standpoint though, and a lot of malware has abused the accessibility systems already. so in Android 8.0, Google added some dedicated form filler/password manager APIs. a lot of password manager apps are still using the old methods though

Yes, I knew you could do it in most apps, but I was sure Chrome didn't expose the url and the necessary HTML/CSS data to other apps to fill out. It's kind of weird that it does so.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've been using lastpass on my phone to autofill passwords into Chrome for years now. It's a loving godsend.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are there any apps that make my phone a controller or input device for my computer so I can just use my phone to skip to next Netflix episode instead of getting up

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Unified Remote

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

DemonMage posted:

Unified Remote

+1 on this, been using it for years as one of the coolest android apps I've got.

You can fully control the mouse, keyboard, or basically any other PC function with it. I love using it for volume control or to shut down my PC from the other room.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been using lastpass on my phone to autofill passwords into Chrome for years now. It's a loving godsend.

Just to be clear, I knew it would autofill into Chrome. I did not know (or remember) that it would find the correct password for you based upon the url. As far as I can recall, I'd have to search for the correct username/password, make sure the carat was in the username field, then it would do its thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It automatically searches for password fields on a screen and then pops up, so combined with the fingerprint login it's very slick

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

It automatically searches for password fields on a screen and then pops up, so combined with the fingerprint login it's very slick

Again, this is what I already knew it would do. It's what all password managers do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You appear to be getting very grumpy with people explaining how something you said you didn't know about works but ok dude

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

You appear to be getting very grumpy with people explaining how something you said you didn't know about works but ok dude

Hmm? I'm not grumpy about anything?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Just to be clear, I knew it would autofill into Chrome. I did not know (or remember) that it would find the correct password for you based upon the url. As far as I can recall, I'd have to search for the correct username/password, make sure the carat was in the username field, then it would do its thing.
It's come a long way since those days. With 1Password you don't even switch apps anymore! After you focus on an input, 1Password detects that a username or password entry input now has focus. It then presents you with a small popover that shows you what it thinks are matching logins. When you select an option, the popover disappears and the username and password are then filled in automatically.

If auto-detect doesn't work, you typically have to switch to the password manager's own keyboard input (just like switching keyboards at the OS level), tap something to switch to the password manager, find the credentials you want to autofill, then switch back to whatever you're trying to log into and focus each input individually before tapping a button on the keyboard to autofill that value. It's basically what you described and is still decidedly less user-friendly than when the popover is available.

The one thing I miss from LastPass is the ability to spawn two notifications that will copy the username and password respectively when you tap them. This foregoes the need for the password-manager-specific keyboard and deals with the frustrating issue of that keyboard sometimes hiding when you switch between inputs (which would require manually loading the credentials back into the manager's keyboard :suicide:).

Password lockers on mobile aren't perfect, but when apps allow for autofill (dammit Firefox for Android get your poo poo together :argh:), it's generally a friction-less experience. Form fill in Android O should hopefully smooth things out in the future.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IAmKale posted:

If auto-detect doesn't work, you typically have to switch to the password manager's own keyboard input (just like switching keyboards at the OS level), tap something to switch to the password manager, find the credentials you want to autofill, then switch back to whatever you're trying to log into and focus each input individually before tapping a button on the keyboard to autofill that value. It's basically what you described and is still decidedly less user-friendly than when the popover is available.

That is exactly the experience I always had until I switched to KeePass a year or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IAmKale posted:

Form fill in Android O should hopefully smooth things out in the future.

I'm sure you're aware that Oreo autofill works neither in Chrome nor in webviews meaning that it works almost nowhere in practice. LastPass had to move the Oreo stuff to a completely separate app because as a beta it was entirely unusable so you could either verify it didn't work or have a functional password manager but not both.