Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can you cite the "mediocre sound" reviews? Because all the ones I've seen have praised it, with the worst I can find noting that it lacks in midrange compared to treble and bass or that it's maybe not quite worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Khablam posted:

all the competition work with Apple music.

In what way?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah all the reviews I’ve read have praised the sound quality compared to similar units. I’m not on the market for one of these devices (I might buy an echo dot, but that’s it) but it doesn’t sound like it’s worse than anything out there beyond maybe the personal assistant part.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah every review that just focuses on the sound has said they’re incredibly good. Honestly the biggest flaw I currently see on HomePod (outside of the stereo and multi room which will come later with airplay 2) is the lack of multiple profiles for individual siri use. Only the person setting up the HomePod gets to use the calling/texting features which I can see as a dealbreaker in households with More than 1 person

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

In what way?

As far as I'm aware, every other talking cylinder at least has Bluetooth (maybe not the Cortana one?). Sonos has whatever protocol they use, and are adding AirPlay 2 at some point this year. You don't get voice controls, though. But going by that, every audio streaming service can use AirPlay, which you can target at a HomePod.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I'm aware, every other talking cylinder at least has Bluetooth (maybe not the Cortana one?). Sonos has whatever protocol they use, and are adding AirPlay 2 at some point this year. You don't get voice controls, though. But going by that, every audio streaming service can use AirPlay, which you can target at a HomePod.

Yeah, that's what I thought. When I hear "compatibility" I hope they have some special provision for AM but no one but Apple does.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a 6 Plus here thats hosed. You can get the apple logo but thats about it. Connect to itunes and it tells me it needs to be updated, that fails and then I try to restore, that fails. Extracts software, I see the logo and progress bar on the phone but the progress bar never moves and it reboots again and I get error 9. Itunes updated, PC updated, tried OEM cable, not getting anywhere. Any tips?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope, not yet. People might be talking about it in the Home Automation thread which is where Echo and Google Home chat usually resides, but HomePod should probably get its own thread.
OK I made one:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847698

Khablam posted:

For the ... 3 buyers?

Even the Apple friendly blogs have not a lot of good to say.
Critical flaws:

- No stereo (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- No multiroom (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- No smaller (cheaper) versions so multi-room will have exorbitant costs
- Voice control only works with Apple music (software update to fix! Coming . .)
- Siri's worst-in-class voice recognition struggles worse here.
- 2x the price of a Sonos Play:1
- Mediocre sound

Not even sure there's a use-case here. Even if you're 50ft buried in Apple's ecosystem, all the competition work with Apple music.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

codo27 posted:

I have a 6 Plus here thats hosed. You can get the apple logo but thats about it. Connect to itunes and it tells me it needs to be updated, that fails and then I try to restore, that fails. Extracts software, I see the logo and progress bar on the phone but the progress bar never moves and it reboots again and I get error 9. Itunes updated, PC updated, tried OEM cable, not getting anywhere. Any tips?

I have have a hot tip. You might even call it a life hack :ssh:

Take it to an Apple Store — you might know it as a <checks notes> “Fruit Stand :xd:”.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have have a hot tip. You might even call it a life hack :ssh:

Take it to an Apple Store — you might know it as a <checks notes> “Fruit Stand :xd:”.

How kind and insightful of you, good sir! I'll leave right now and make the 9 hour drive to the ferry to go to the next loving province so I can reach the nearest apple store so I can have some schmuck tell me it will cost approximately $9000 to fix this piece of poo poo device. Thanks for your help!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

codo27 posted:

How kind and insightful of you, good sir! I'll leave right now and make the 9 hour drive to the ferry to go to the next loving province so I can reach the nearest apple store so I can have some schmuck tell me it will cost approximately $9000 to fix this piece of poo poo device. Thanks for your help!

$9000? That's a little high. Usually when I take my iPhone to the Fruit Stand to be repaired, the repair bill is $6900.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Da mufuggin fruit stahnd

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

codo27 posted:

You’re welcome.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Can you cite the "mediocre sound" reviews? Because all the ones I've seen have praised it, with the worst I can find noting that it lacks in midrange compared to treble and bass or that it's maybe not quite worth the price.
So like, all vocals, and most instruments? That's not an insignificant complaint.
But sure, I was mentally comparing it to a Sonos:1 pair (same price) or a Sonos:3 (bit cheaper); either is going to sound significant better.

carry on then posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. When I hear "compatibility" I hope they have some special provision for AM but no one but Apple does.
AM is built into Sonos, you don't need to do anything weird. https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/apple-music-on-sonos

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's weird to have to use a piece of poo poo app and think it's fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khablam posted:

So like, all vocals, and most instruments? That's not an insignificant complaint.
But sure, I was mentally comparing it to a Sonos:1 pair (same price) or a Sonos:3 (bit cheaper); either is going to sound significant better.

AM is built into Sonos, you don't need to do anything weird. https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/apple-music-on-sonos

"Compared to" is the key phrase there. Not "completely." And it was literally one that said this. Every other one has praised the sound, and multiples compared it to other devices, including the Google Home Max and said it sounds better than any of them. Also better than a Sonos One, and more like a Play:5. You still haven't produced anything saying it's "mediocre." I genuinely want to see these reviews.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 28, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Pack your stuff before you make the drive and find a place to live closer to Da Fruit Stand.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

"Compared to" is the key phrase there. Not "completely." And it was literally one that said this. Every other one has praised the sound, and multiples compared it to other devices, including the Google Home Max and said it sounds better than any of them. Also better than a Sonos One, and more like a Play:5. You still haven't produced anything saying it's "mediocre." I genuinely want to see these reviews.

Ignore the poo poo posting until at least 1 homepod has shipped to someone's house.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Khablam posted:

:jerkbag:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sonos shill here:

get yo' self a pair of Sonos play 1 or ones and stereo pair them 👌

(play1 and one don't stereo pair tho unfortunately)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Asking Khablam to back up his poo poo posts is like asking Donald Trump to explain his tax bill.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/first-listen-apple-homepod

"Not enough punch for the price"

I've ignored general Apple blogs, because they went on for pages about how much better the airpods sounded than earpods, then when Apple confirmed they were the same exact sound drivers they quietly stopped mentioning it. They're not the place for audio reviews.
I dunno why you're trying to pin me on this - my inference here is [for the price] they are medicre sounding. If you have another one, then OK.
Thin mid-ranges are one of the worst speaker characteristics to have.

This does all ignore that to have something sounding moderately decent, you need a pair. And they don't support that (yet) and will have an insane price-tag for 2 when they do.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Khablam posted:

I've ignored general Apple blogs, because they went on for pages about how much better the airpods sounded than earpods, then when Apple confirmed they were the same exact sound drivers they quietly stopped mentioning it. They're not the place for audio reviews.
I dunno why you're trying to pin me on this - my inference here is [for the price] they are medicre sounding. If you have another one, then OK.

This does all ignore that to have something sounding moderately decent, you need a pair. And they don't support that (yet) and will have an insane price-tag for 2 when they do.

Nah.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Khablam posted:

jesus you're an abrasively bad poster.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Can’t we be friends here in the iPhone thread

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can’t we be friends here in the iPhone thread

People get snippy about Apple stuff, myself included. No idea why; I guess it’s the Power of the Brand.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

People get snippy about Apple stuff, myself included. No idea why; I guess it’s the Power of the Brand.

People tie their identities to the brands they consume. This is heavily encouraged by marketing since it's the best form of brand loyalty.

When someone criticizes a brand you identify with, it becomes a personal attack.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

codo27 posted:

Try another USB port and/or PC, and if it wasn’t a brand new OEM cable try another cable.

If it keeps happening, the phone is hosed, more than likely some kind of logic board issue.

[Edit] Being as it’s a 6 Plus, a logic board failure is a real possibility. They have an issue where chips may start to come loose and eventually connections break when the phone flexes or gets bent. The touch IC is the big one because it’s right between two screws and the board flexes a lot there, but it can happen to others.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 29, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

jesus you're an abrasively bad poster.

They told me the thread deserved it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Proteus Jones posted:

People tie their identities to the brands they consume. This is heavily encouraged by marketing since it's the best form of brand loyalty.

When someone criticizes a brand you identify with, it becomes a personal attack.

Keep your identity small.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/29/apple-said-to-be-cutting-iphone-x-production-in-half-due-to-slow-sales

quote:

Apple has reportedly told suppliers that it's dropping March-quarter iPhone X production from the more than 40 million it predicted to about 20 million, delivering a multi-billion dollar impact to the supply chain.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The Dave posted:

Which device do you have? His screen looks like it’s from a SE.
Yep.

Weedle posted:

Probably because you’re on a 4” phone and Apple no longer cares about making sure stuff looks right on those displays.
I kind of figured that was the case. Oh well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's phone cord is dying. In Android land there are some cables to avoid, especially for USB C. What's the situation for Lightning cables? Anything decent that's less expensive than Apple's? How about a good dual-port charger? She doesn't need it to be particularly fast since her phone and iPad charge overnight.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anker.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hooah posted:

My wife's phone cord is dying. In Android land there are some cables to avoid, especially for USB C. What's the situation for Lightning cables? Anything decent that's less expensive than Apple's? How about a good dual-port charger? She doesn't need it to be particularly fast since her phone and iPad charge overnight.

Anker /Amazon basics/ monoprice.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Apple would add a Settings shortcut to the new custom control center icons. I don't see why they wouldn't want to add it.

Also, can anyone recommend a good alternative to Facebook Messenger? Not like Skype or Kik, but a lite version or alternate app that can log in to Facebook. I found "Friendly" and it seems okay, just wondering if there are others. Android has Facebook and Messenger Lite, which are official Facebook apps, but they aren't available on iOS... yet?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

loving hell Siri is garbage. I just tried 6 times to ask how long a basketball game is and got the helpful answers of "here's some upcoming nba games" or "4 quarters" each time.

Much as I love my iPhone X I really miss having a half way competent assistant.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

And each time she got the question I'd asked correct, she just didn't have the capacity to give a useful answer.

E: hfs "how many minutes does a basketball game last?" Got me the nba schedule. Seriously? Useless loving garbage.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 30, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Siri is had such promise at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Siri is some shameful poo poo