Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Don't even get me started on the cash grab that the Castrum/Praetorium changes obviously are, or the recycling of gear from less than a year ago. The whole 4.x cycle really feels like an exercise in profit-taking for minimum effort, and at least for me it's burning off my considerable goodwill from ARR and HW.

...Cash grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The amount of new content per patch has decreased since ARR but that's because they're trying to find a sustainable development pace that doesn't utterly burn out the studio. The reason 3.1 was a month later than usual was because everybody in the office was completely frazzled after months of pushing out 2.x series patches while trying to get Heavensward out the door. They've decided to maintain the quarterly patch pace, but creating less art assets per patch.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 28, 2018

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
People can't get into CM/Prae, therefore they buy skip potion, therefore cash grab.

It's just as logical as the people who were crying cash grab for WoW's HP changes to leveling mobs so they live for 10-15 seconds instead of being 1 shot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so now that i'm settled, how does the fc work w/r/t worlds? can i not join if i'm not on excalibur?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Inflammatory posted:

so now that i'm settled, how does the fc work w/r/t worlds? can i not join if i'm not on excalibur?

Yes, that's right

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UHD posted:

There are better solutions but maybe not ones to be implemented in a patch that already contains a bunch of other stuff.

Like, the proper solution is to turn it into a solo duty with some NPC helpers. You could probably get away with making Ultima Weapon and Lahabrea a separate trial and sticking it in the trial roulette, but just make the two dungeons solo duties, because it's clear that no one in the West wants to watch 30 minutes of cutscenes that they've already experienced. Would this take development time away from current content? Of course. Is it worth it? If you care about the new player experience, absolutely.

If they absolutely had no resources to spare and had to put this in as the only change, then at least make the rewards consummate with the time spent. 200 Poetics is an insultingly low reward for what's potentially an hour of your time doing trivial content you've probably already done a hundred times before. Gimme some Cracked Clusters or 150 Mendacity or something and I'll at least do it occasionally.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Axle_Stukov posted:

People can't get into CM/Prae, therefore they buy skip potion, therefore cash grab.

It's just as logical as the people who were crying cash grab for WoW's HP changes to leveling mobs so they live for 10-15 seconds instead of being 1 shot.

That's... What I thought they meant. Ech

Vermain posted:

Like, the proper solution is to turn it into a solo duty with some NPC helpers. You could probably get away with making Ultima Weapon and Lahabrea a separate trial and sticking it in the trial roulette, but just make the two dungeons solo duties, because it's clear that no one in the West wants to watch 30 minutes of cutscenes that they've already experienced. Would this take development time away from current content? Of course. Is it worth it? If you care about the new player experience, absolutely.

Idk about making the boss fights into separate trials, but they could (and should) definitely make prae into a solo instance. Especially given how expensive some of the solo content is in 4.x, I feel like a designed solo prae instance could breathe a lot of life into arr content

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Praetorium and Castrum are both trash, and there's almost no reasonable way for a new player to have a good experience in either of them.

Mandatory cutscenes will help some, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of both dungeons are pointless trash pulls and backtracking over nebulous objectives. Prae is even worse, because most of it is sprinting past a pack and clicking a teleporter, while the actual new player gets instagibbed because they don't know what's happening. Meanwhile the rest of the group is running past at a breakneck pace. The new player is skipping cutscenes but still won't be able to view the content.

My ideal fix would be to see them cut into three smaller dungeons with cutscenes intact. You can remove most of castrum and no one would notice. Prae can see a lot cut and end after Nero. Cut the dumb teleporters and poo poo so a new player has an easier time of following. The Gaius, Ultima, Lahabrea boss rush can be the entirety of the final dungeon. Now the roulette players are in for 20-25 minutes max, new players can watch the cutscenes and contribute, and the end game events for 2.0 are still an epic scale multiplayer event.

At some point dev time is going to have to fix the new player experience, and with all the assets there I don't think that would be the worst way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The "fix" to Castrum/Prae is outright the worst possible solution they could have come up with.

They'd have been better off disabling the dungeons and saying "we're making these a solo scenario in 4.3, for now, enjoy the cutscenes in sequence without combat between them for now, you'll be able to access the solo scenarios if you are past this via the Minstrel, please understand." And the thing is, without actually making the content a challenge by ilvl syncing you to the gear levels that were current when you did them in 2.0, that's all the new versions of those dungeons are. A newbie will have absolutely squat to contribute to the fights in those dungeons because they're so easy.

The "your time is so precious" argument is hollow as hell because yeah, it is precious.
Whether you have all day or 2 hours a day, you're choosing to spend it to help someone in ancient, uninteresting, challenge free content for the sole purpose of helping someone out. There should be an expectation of the person getting carried through a rewardless gate in the content that maybe you shouldn't take up a solid hour or so of their time where they could be doing absolutely anything else and have it be a more productive use of time.

You could also trim Castrum/Prae down to a dungeon each and have Ultima/Lahabrea be a trial instead of them being solo scenarios. Hell, make the Ultima/Lahabrea trial a new fight, still at a reasonable difficulty for new players and throw in a couple of cute glamours or a mount to give it an incentive. Make an Extreme version if you're desperate for new content down the line.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I don't get why they don't make it a squadron style dungeon. Make the scions and maybe some grand company soldiers as your NPC allies. In its current state, there is nothing to stop trolls from joining a party, and not advance their cutscenes so everyone is locked out of finishing the dungeon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenik posted:

I don't get why they don't make it a squadron style dungeon. Make the scions and maybe some grand company soldiers as your NPC allies. In its current state, there is nothing to stop trolls from joining a party, and not advance their cutscenes so everyone is locked out of finishing the dungeon.

What I'm curious about is if there's actually going to be a cutscene gate that waits for everyone to finish before you can progress, because that would unambiguously keep me from ever setting foot in either of those dungeons again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I legitimately hadn't even thought of someone just going AFK mid cutscene being possible but god-drat, you're right, that could feasibly happen.

e:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7tl414/warrior_in_42_buffed_optimized_and_badly_designed/

Apparently 4.2 is actually a big buff for Warrior afterall, just that it'll feel rear end to play instead?

With berserk now being a 10 second burst, doesn't that mean trick attack windows just got real real? I dunno, I don't ever play WAR.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 28, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
With 4.2 days away and the entire game soon to be ruined forever, I wanted to take a moment to shill!

You an EU goon and NOT in Please Calm Down? Well you might have your reasons, but if those reasons included "No one will transfer" and "Omega is full!" I can tell you that the guild is alive and Omega is open for transfer!

Come join us. We have a tastefully decorated house that totally does not have a nightmare maze leading to a lewd bedroom! Those rumours are unfounded! UNFOUNDED!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can blame me if you think the maze sucks. ('cos I made it)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tenik posted:

They should, and maybe even want to do this. But this change would be way more involved than just flipping a switch.

Making the cutscenes unskippable is almost literally just flipping a switch. The master scheduler for the dev team is probably a lot happier with this one.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can blame me if you think the maze sucks. ('cos I made it)

Never. :allears:

E: Oh and we have 3 raiding statics if that's you're thing too!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 28, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tenik posted:

Also, speaking of squadrons, just lol at them adding Darkhold and Copperbell Hard to command missions.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

I legitimately hadn't even thought of someone just going AFK mid cutscene being possible but god-drat, you're right, that could feasibly happen.

e:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7tl414/warrior_in_42_buffed_optimized_and_badly_designed/

Apparently 4.2 is actually a big buff for Warrior afterall, just that it'll feel rear end to play instead?

With berserk now being a 10 second burst, doesn't that mean trick attack windows just got real real? I dunno, I don't ever play WAR.

The WAR rotation in 4.1 is this pretty interesting dance of Beast Gauge expenditure that requires a bit of forethought and rewards in kind.

The proposed 4.2 rotation is binding one big red button to Fell Cleave and smashing your face into it as often as possible.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I applaud anyone that does squadron missions with any regularity. They're infuriating to control and I'd probably have an easier time multiboxing.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I applaud anyone that does squadron missions with any regularity. They're infuriating to control and I'd probably have an easier time multiboxing.

Tanking them is a breeze at least.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Click enemy hit engage, watch netflix until combat ends. Repeat until dungeon ends. What's there to control?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've got through two seasons of Serial and am halfway through S-Town thanks to squad missions

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bolow posted:

Click enemy hit engage, watch netflix until combat ends. Repeat until dungeon ends. What's there to control?

Depends which one you're doing and what role.

AI tanks can get you merked in Stone Vigil as a deeps.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd be okay with losing a dungeon from the next patch to get a redone Castrum/Praetorium that's good for newbies, and a bard mode of the same thing that's exactly the same but the bosses are actually hard.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bolow posted:

On wanderer's palace last boss, leaving the ai up to their own devices will have the tank running around trying to pick up each add, while the boss kills the group. If I keep spamming engage on the boss, the tank still decides to move to the last known position of one add (even if I kill it immediately) so I have to disengage/rengage on the boss. Tank usually loses aggro to the other dps and the healer can't keep up with everyone's grudge. If I rotate the group around engaging each add, the healer usually pulls boss aggro and dies.

Any boss with small adds goes roughly as stupid, but most can be brute forced anyways.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I got Monk, Samurai and Dragoon to 70. Time for a new project. I'm thinking Black Mage or Red Mage because I'm itching for some pew pew explosions. I played both a bit and enjoyed them both (despite only getting Black Mage to 20, I got an idea of the mechanics). Opinions from people who taken these classes to 70?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

So I got Monk, Samurai and Dragoon to 70. Time for a new project. I'm thinking Black Mage or Red Mage because I'm itching for some pew pew explosions. I played both a bit and enjoyed them both (despite only getting Black Mage to 20, I got an idea of the mechanics). Opinions from people who taken these classes to 70?

Black Mage is funny because your rotation changes like once every 10 levels. I'm at 61 now, and while I loved the 50 rotation, it's still fun. The explosions from the void brought forth are bad rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Probably better off asking again on Tuesday when people have had some hands-on time with BLM changes but as of now, RDM is simple and good for casual zoned out play and BLM is like chewing sawdust.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jimbot posted:

Red Mage is fun but is, ultimately, very mechanically simple. The "rotation" such as it is, is simple, and as much fun as Verflare and Verholy can be at first, it does become kind of boring after awhile because it's the exact same combo every time.

That having been said, I main it now and I really enjoy it.

I have no experience with Black Mage, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Probably better off asking again on Tuesday when people have had some hands-on time with BLM changes but as of now, RDM is simple and good for casual zoned out play and BLM is like chewing sawdust.

You have to only be talking about Savage. Last I checked BLM is fun as hell.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

On wanderer's palace last boss, leaving the ai up to their own devices will have the tank running around trying to pick up each add, while the boss kills the group. If I keep spamming engage on the boss, the tank still decides to move to the last known position of one add (even if I kill it immediately) so I have to disengage/rengage on the boss. Tank usually loses aggro to the other dps and the healer can't keep up with everyone's grudge. If I rotate the group around engaging each add, the healer usually pulls boss aggro and dies.

Any boss with small adds goes roughly as stupid, but most can be brute forced anyways.

Don't do Wanderer's Palace. Halatali is a giant pain in the rear end but you have to do it maybe 5-6 times total. Wanderer's is slower than Stone Vigil and doesn't reward enough xp to be worth the headache

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Jimbot posted:

I main BRD and greatly prefer BLM to RDM - i like the style of RDM and the quests were fun and interesting, but RDM is just really simple to do well on compared to BLM, and I like that challenge. If you want a more simple experience RDM is for you - a few people I know who main casters basically use RDM to learn fights and then swap over to either BLM or SMN after they know the encounter.

You will scream in frustration on BLM bc you dropped your self buff, its up to you if this is a feature or a bug.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You have to only be talking about Savage. Last I checked BLM is fun as hell.

I don't do savage, but I find BLM a little frustrating for any fight that requires lots of movement and/or for you to kill a mob right now, rather than 10 seconds from now, when your MP is full, you're back in Astral mode, and you're ready to cast a Fire IV again.

I'm sure the latter scenario is just me being bad at the class, but the former is just universally frustrating from listening to other people's complaints. The class is fun when it's at its best, but some of the fights in this game just hate black mages. It's more fun now than in HW though, since keeping Enochian up doesn't require you to keep track of a separate set of mechanics.

I like RDM but I totally understand why people find it boring. For me, I like the simplicity of it so I can just turn off my brain and focus on the mechanics of a fight rather than also having to stress about pushing all the right buttons at the right time, but it's not a challenging class at all.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't do savage, but I find BLM a little frustrating for any fight that requires lots of movement and/or for you to kill a mob right now, rather than 10 seconds from now, when your MP is full, you're back in Astral mode, and you're ready to cast a Fire IV again.

I'm sure the latter scenario is just me being bad at the class, but the former is just universally frustrating from listening to other people's complaints. The class is fun when it's at its best, but some of the fights in this game just hate black mages. It's more fun now than in HW though, since keeping Enochian up doesn't require you to keep track of a separate set of mechanics.

I like RDM but I totally understand why people find it boring. For me, I like the simplicity of it so I can just turn off my brain and focus on the mechanics of a fight rather than also having to stress about pushing all the right buttons at the right time, but it's not a challenging class at all.

First of all I'm sure you're fine at the class. But yeah, for sure movement effects black mages badly and that can be an issue of the class, I just think saying the class is like chewing sawdust is a bit much

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ok, it's like gargling sawdust as mouthwash.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Personally I find that any flaws with BLM are smoothed over by a sweet quadflare, but I don't raid with it so YMMV.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

e:

My girlfriend mains WAR for our static and she's nothing but excited for the changes so I dunno if it'll be too bad to play.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
people who complain about blm being hard are bad at the game hth

blm is both simple mechanically and fun at the same time. people bitch about enochian being hard but it just boils down to having a bare minimum of awareness and dealing when you need throw in an extra fire 1 occasionally. unfortunately it is a completely different class at level 60+ so lvl 20 isn’t really enough to say you’ll like it. maybe give potd a try.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Sarrisan posted:

blm is both simple mechanically and fun at the same time. people bitch about enochian being hard but it just boils down to having a bare minimum of awareness and dealing when you need throw in an extra fire 1 occasionally. unfortunately it is a completely different class at level 60+ so lvl 20 isn’t really enough to say you’ll like it. maybe give potd a try.

I wanted to play BLM just to see if I'd like it and it ended up being my second job to 70 because it was that simple and fun, for the reasons you stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Nobody is saying BLM is hard to play in optimal conditions. They are saying that the mechanics of boss/raid fights disproportably influence Black Mage's ability to fight compared to the other two caster classes, which is entirely fair to say. Both RDM and SMN are more mobile and have overall fewer punishments for mechanical failures. This doesn't mean BLM is unplayable but that it is probably the class single mostly heavily punished by boss mechanics in the game, except maybe MNK/DRG.

That said I love playing BLM so v:shobon:v It's easily my favorite caster class which I never expected prior to leveling it.