Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

... Maybe it's time for a recap or a snapshot in time of what's left and where you are?

Ok, let's go ahead and do that. Since I brought this thing home, the following has been done:

• Installed new cheapo Walker muffler complete with soupcan muffler clamp spacer after blowing up the original. Kept one of the internal baffles as a trophy.
• Yanked the front subframe out, cleaned it, painted it, and reinstalled with new solid mounts.
• Replaced steering box with one from a '91 Z28. Adapters installed in order to reuse factory P/S lines. New rag joint.
• New brakes

- Master cylinder, booster, calipers, and rotors all from various late 4th-gen F-bodies. New rotors and pads, obviously.
- Front custom caliper brackets - picture found online with dimensions, converted to dwg file by helpful and generous goon, laser cut from 1/4" steel by some other goons (company now defunct).
- Custom stainless lines from Kore3. Shameless plug for those guys. They're super knowledgeable and very friendly.
- Custom parking brake brackets and shortened F-body cables.
- Wilwood distro block/proportioning valve with custom hardlines.
• "New" rear end
- Pulled 8.2" 10-bolt and replaced with 8.5" 10-bolt from '73 Nova. Worked out well as it had deeper perches for multi-leaf springs.
- Pulled open carrier and 2.73 gears out of 8.5". Replaced with LSD carrier from an '80 Trans-Am and 3.42 gears out of a '92 GMC 1500.
- Painted diff cover red to add horsepower.
• New wheels and tires
- Cragar Soft 8s in 17x8 and 17x9.
- BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2s in 245/45 and 275/40.
• New suspension
- Bilstein shocks.
- Front springs from BMR. Again, red for more fastah.
- Rear springs from Hotchkis.
- New swaybars. 1.125" in front and .875" in the back. Rear bar is brand new as it didn't come with one from the factory.
- Subframe connectors.
- CPP tube control arms.
- Poly bushings everywhere with the new hardware.
• Interior rework
- Yanked out all the old crusty green poo poo. Headliner scraps (mostly gone when I bought it), seats, carpet, dash pad, door panels, trim pieces, etc.
- Cleaned trim pieces and painted/dyed black. Dash painted as well.
- Floor cleaned up. No patches or hard work needed as it was all solid. Any surface rust present was wire wheeled off.
- Trans tunnel extension built and installed.
- Floor painted and insulation installed.
- New headliner installed. Additional headliner material used to cover sail panels and sunvisors.
- Rear package tray painted and reinstalled.
- New carpet installed.
- New dash pad installed.
- Old back seat and belts reinstalled. Belts will be replaced outright, but I need to find a place to rebuild my back seat. Frames are still good but I'll get new foam built and then recovered with fabric from Corbeau to match the front seats.
- New steering wheel installed.
- New Corbeau front seats and brackets installed.
- New front door panels assembled and installed. Still need new front armrest pads. Once I get those the armrests will go on and the front doors will be totally done.
- New console designed and built. Finished with the construction. Working on getting the storage bin area lined with felt and am waiting on some USB and aux plugs. Figuring a mounting solution will be next.

And that pretty much brings us up to now. As far as yet to be done?

• Finish the console - mounting solution, cables, some kind of top panel, cup holders, stereo (won't do much until the car gets rewired. Original harness was butchered from the previous install)
• Front seat belts are ordered so they'll get banged out once they show up.
• Rear door panels.
• Rear seat belts.
• Something with the rear seat. Looks dumb as poo poo having a green seat in a black interior.
• Rewire the whole loving car. Chassis harness is a bit of a mess. New headlights, taillights, and front turn signal lamps will come with this. Battery will get moved to the trunk as well.
• Build the LQ/LS, find a trans, and dump all that poo poo in. New fuel, cooling, and exhaust systems to match.
• New gauges to go with the swap.
• New hood.
• Bodywork/paint.

Not bad, I suppose. Doesn't really feel like I've done that much but I guess it's just from it taking for-loving-ever. Still happy with the progress. I'm doing everything exactly the way I want it and that makes me feel pretty good about things. Also feels pretty good to have done all the work myself. I figure the only things I'll farm out is the engine machine work, back seat reupholstering, and the bodywork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

LloydDobler posted:

Never don't post. A lot more people are watching than you think. And we live for this poo poo. Nice work.

100% this. For some reason, I always read this thread and think of how I can add an encouraging reply other than "holy poo poo this tread is awesome and yo're doing amazing work", but I never manage to come up with anything and I would just end up with me posting a load of low-content posts all over your thread.

Thread is great. Car is great. Post more great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

100% this. For some reason, I always read this thread and think of how I can add an encouraging reply other than "holy poo poo this tread is awesome and yo're doing amazing work", but I never manage to come up with anything and I would just end up with me posting a load of low-content posts all over your thread.

Thread is great. Car is great. Post more great.

Trying not to emptyquote. My best friend growing up had a 73 Nova coupe that wound up being a fun car, another friend had a 73 or 74 hatch. :swoon:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Never don't post. A lot more people are watching than you think. And we live for this poo poo. Nice work.

Absolutely this.

I've been meaning to step out of lurking to say I've been following your thread intently.

Amazing work, excited to see this one finished.

E: what I'm trying to say is this:

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

For some reason, I always read this thread and think of how I can add an encouraging reply other than "holy poo poo this tread is awesome and yo're doing amazing work", but I never manage to come up with anything.

glyph fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 30, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thanks for the kind words, guys. And gals? I have no idea who's out there. You might all be dogs. And that's ok.

Anyway, got curious about the order status of my front belts still being 'Pending' so I called up customer service and apparently the manufacturer had to get the recertified or some drat thing so they're waiting on new parts. ETA TBD. Lame.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So my belts just showed up. Order still 'Pending' on the website. Whatever, I'll take it! This weekend will be nice and cold and terrible so perfect weather for working out in the garage. No loving stickers, though. Lame.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Got my other poo poo, too! I'm now fully ready for the head unit I want. USB for ipod, USB for phone, AUX in for other crap. Sorry the picture sucks but I was taking it inside a box lit by a flashlight.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's not straight. C+.

:lol: I wish I had half the interior skills that you do, or at least can convince us that you do. I spent 20 minutes wrangling the trunk carpet in my new used car to get it lined up with the trim tree holes. The trim trees are in, but it's still not fitting right.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I also follow along and hardly ever comment. I don't follow many build threads so maybe that should be a compliment?

Dunno what phone you have but if you have one with wireless charging you should incorporate that into your console while you're in there, I think it's a option on some new trucks and it's kind of a cool idea. "plop phone here, it's charging due to magic"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

It's not straight. C+.

:lol: I wish I had half the interior skills that you do, or at least can convince us that you do. I spent 20 minutes wrangling the trunk carpet in my new used car to get it lined up with the trim tree holes. The trim trees are in, but it's still not fitting right.

Cs get degrees. :downs:

A wireless charging pad would be pretty drat neat, but I'm gonna get a head unit with Android Auto so I'll happily leave the phone plugged in whenever it's in the car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I got belts, yo!

Couldn't help myself so over the past few nights, I've gone out and swapped the belts out. Everything is installed, but I'm waiting to tighten the female ends down until I get the console mounted. It'll be nice just having one buckle to deal with.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
More parts incoming! Front arm rest pads and rear belts should be here tomorrow. I'll get the pads on the bases and then on the doors probably not long after they arrive and the front doors will be finished. I've got rear door panels on the way as well, but they'll take a bit longer as I think they come from the manufacturer. I've got a battery hold down clamp coming too, but that's currently on backorder. No rush on that one, but I do need one and it put me over the $99 to get the free shipping. Once I get those rear panels done, the interior will be done with the exceptions of the back seat and the console/stereo situation.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well, the panels and pads both showed up today. Panels look great and I've got every reason to believe that they'll turn out as nice as the fronts. Pads look good too, but don't really fit for poo poo on the arm rest bases. Common problem when you're fitting repro parts to OEM parts. The bases are pretty haggard anyway - even with the coat of paint I put on them - so I'll pick up some new ones here soon. Belts are being shipped separately according to the invoice, so those should turn up before too awful long. Gonna need to find an upholstery shop to take a look at that back seat. Supposed to continue to be cold as a motherfucker all weekend so maybe I'll try to do some work on the panels indoors.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Maybe one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pui-72xs10c/applications

If not there are a wide variety of others available as far as I can tell. I mean, the door panel place should have seat covers right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LloydDobler posted:

Maybe one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pui-72xs10c/applications

If not there are a wide variety of others available as far as I can tell. I mean, the door panel place should have seat covers right?

Wow, good find. I'm wanting to do something a little more involved, though. I plan on reusing the frames, but I'd like to get new foam and fabric to sort of complement the fronts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm just catching up on a few months of posts in this thread, drat fine work on the center console and door panels!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm just catching up on a few months of posts in this thread, drat fine work on the center console and door panels!

Thanks dude!

So the only real hurdle left with this thing is putting a literal lid on things. I was originally going to do it with aluminum, but I figured that might actually be a bit soft for this so I picked up just a cheap sheet of zinc plated steel. Once I get everything fitted up right, I'm going to hit it with some Scotchbrite pads and see if I can put a bit of a "brushed" look on it. If that turns out like rear end I'll just paint the drat thing.

It started as so many projects do with some CAD. Actually used my caliper on this to get it halfway accurate. I had to do a bit of trimming on the passenger side (far side in the picture) to get it to go all the way to the back of the opening.

Marked out where the brace is and where the plug is for the cables and got my cupholders fitted. Cupholders are a pretty beefy so that required the offset.

Once everything was groovy with the CAD prototype, I transferred it over to the steel. This stuff is thin enough where the snips make pretty short work of it.

You can see in that last picture what I was talking about when I said I had to trim the CAD piece a bit to get it to slide all the way back. I can kinda tell where it's tight so I'm thinking I'll throw a flap disc on the grinder and kinda work it down. But being that it's way too cold outside for me to give enough of a poo poo to go stand out in the garage, that will be waiting until the weekend when we might hit thirty. Same goes for the rear door panels. Really don't want to use spray adhesive in the house.

Not sure how I want to make the holes for the cupholders yet. Dropping $30+ on a hole saw for 2 holes seems a bit much. I'm not above hacking away at them with the Dremel. The cupholders have pretty good lips on them so they'll cover it up as long as I don't totally mangle the loving thing. I can't imagine how many cutting wheels I'll go through though. Sometimes it seems like those things are made out of cheese. Enough words for now. Until next time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Clamp a piece of plywood over and under it, and use a hole saw. It's worth the expense, even if you buy a cheap set and burn out the size you're using.

I don't know if they're still available, but there's been some holesaw deals on GJ.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
On one hand you don't really need a hole saw, and cheap ones really do suck, plus you'll need to clean the edge up anyway.
OTHO, without a hole saw you're looking at a lot of ~5mm holes and then dremel time with loving expensive grinder and sander bits and a poo poo load of time. If you have hours to spend and lots of dremel bits you didn't need anyway, go without a hole saw. If you don't want to spend that much time, spend au$80 for 2min with a quality hole saw.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Fo3 posted:

OTHO, without a hole saw you're looking at a lot of ~5mm holes and then dremel time with loving expensive grinder and sander bits and a poo poo load of time.

You're on the right track here, but I'd lobby for a- the holes are going into aluminum, right?- unibit/step drill and a hand file. I think it'd go a lot quicker than all of you might think.

Oh, it's steel? Still, unibit so the bit doesn't walk, or a center drill before a twist drill. Or just the center drill.

Otherwise, sharky has it right- clamp that fucker down, you need all the rigidity you can get. Know that if a hole saw is the plan, whatever you wind up doing is going to make a hell of a racket.

E: What's the diameter you'd be buying the hole saw for? Because we have two of these Greenlee 2-25/32" sheet metal punches basically mothballed here at work. Cover shipping and promise to give it back before the next decade and you're welcome to it. It's probably not big enough, but it'd be a pretty good start.

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 3, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
^^^ That's pretty drat neat and I absolutely appreciate that offer. I probably won't take you up on it but I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thank you. I'm heading down to my parents place this weekend and my dad thinks he might have a 3 3/8" hole saw down there. I'll dig through his poo poo first and then I'll figure out which direction to go in from there.

Still generally cold as a well-digger's rear end this weekend, but it managed to creep up to about 28 degrees or so outside. That's about -2 for you metric folks. With the tiny heater cranking hard, the garage actually got up to a balmy 48 (again, just under 9 metric degrees). While not horrible to work in, I figured the spray adhesive wouldn't work for poo poo and just passed entirely on the rear door panels. Focused on the steel console panel instead and I'm very happy to say that my slightly cockamamie plan actually loving worked.

First order was throwing a 120 grit flap disc in the grinder and easing down the edges to get the panel to actually sit where it needs to in the console. Took quite a few passes but I eventually got it pared down to where it needed to be in order to sit all the way back against the storage compartment. Picture turned out a bit rear end, but the fit is perfect now.

So now that it fits, I had to figure out a way to mount it. I'd been hunting around for a bracket with at least one hole on one leg and a threaded hole on the other leg. This would let me screw the non-threaded side to the console and then run a machine screw down into it to hold the steel panel. I hunted around and found something similar to what I wanted on some electronics supply website, but eventually I just decided to build my own. They don't need to be super pretty as they're completely invisible once installed. I picked up a drill bit and tap set a while back and planned to use that today. Surprisingly enough, it actually worked perfectly.

Before I proceeded with building brackets, however, I needed to set my depth. I didn't want the panel flush with the top of the sides of the console, but I couldn't just ballpark the loving thing and have it be all wavy and stupid. In a stroke of genius, I flipped the console over, put a piece of cardboard down between the sides (the template for the steel piece, actually), and pushed the steel down right on top of that. This gave me a nice even depth of about .15" below the tops of the sides. I wanted the mounting screws to be at least somewhat uniform, so I made a little gauge to mark 1/'2" away from the side and then just spaced them out where I thought they'd look good and work well.

Pictured here is the gauge (cut down paint stick) and one of the screws that hold the brackets to the console side.

So the brackets themselves are made of 1" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum stock. Bent in the vice to 90* and then cut to a completely arbitrary length. One side gets 2 holes and then that side gets screwed to the console. Push it down against the steel, lay out the 1/2" and distance front to back on the other side, then drill a hole there and tap it. Screw it back into place and make a mark on the steel through the hole with a center punch. This gives me a target to drill through later.

Then make 5 more. Here are the bracket blanks.

Once they're all done up and attached to the console, I flipped it all back over and checked the fit from the top side. All good.

You can see the bracket layout here. Eventually, there's going to be a shifter boot about halfway between the front and middle brackets.

With the marks made in the steel based on the brackets, I went for it and put some holes in the drat thing. Picked up some stainless 10-32 button-heads and to my absolute surprise and delight, they were right on the loving money.

Four more holes and we're in loving business.

So with that finished up, I plopped it back in the car. Bottom mounting brackets are right where they need to be. Sunk a screw in it just to check things out and once I get all four in this thing should be rock solid.

Had to pop the steel back on to see how everything would look.

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. I'm not so sure about the finish, though. I hit the whole thing with a green Scotchbrite pad to give it kind of a "brushed" finish, but it's still not quite as clean as I'd liked it to be. I'm thinking I'll probably paint it eventually. That won't happen until it warms up, though. In the meantime, I need to cut a couple holes for the cupholders in this piece and then I need to build another panel (and brackets) for the front where the stereo will mount. Once that's done, I'll actually install this thing in the car. Also, I know that stainless fasteners into aluminum isn't always a great idea, but being that all this is inside the car and absolutely none of this is really structural at all, I'm not worried about that. Next weekend might bear fruit for the hole saw, but there won't be any real progress. Maybe I can get that front panel done the weekend after. We'll see.

Edit: Almost forgot. Some bad news for the day: fuckin' heater died about 4:00. RIP.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 8, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That came out awesome. You've got the hard part done anyway. Refinishing it later is easy by comparison.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Welp, struck out with hole saws in dad's Workbench of Wunder. I've still got some cutoff discs for the Dremel so I think I'll see how it cuts this steel and then go from there. I can get the right size saw and arbor for about $25 so I'm guessing I'm gonna go that route anyway. This coming weekend is supposed to be the mid 40s as of right now, so I'll probably try to do some work on the door panels if that actually holds out. We shall see.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
A productive weekend.

On Saturday, first step was get some adhesive on a door panel and get it clamped down to give it a chance to really set up so I could maybe get it finished on Sunday. The rear panels don't have the plastic layer like the front ones so these went a little faster. First step for both was getting the metal top panels in place and then spray glue on the batting material. That stuff sticks well and just gets trimmed down so it goes pretty quickly. The outer vinyl goes over that and gets clamped down around the metal piece.

While that was setting, I turned focus back to the console. Like I said earlier, no luck on a hole saw so I figured I'd try my luck with the Dremel. With the revs cranked to the moon, it actually made pretty quick work of things. Went through 4 or 5 wheels, but I don't think it took me 10 minutes to do both holes. The holes aren't real pretty, but they're not butchered to the point where it pokes out past the cup holders.

I like it.

With that in place, I cranked out a front panel pretty quickly. Same deal with the brackets and holes and tapping.

Looks pretty good in the car. Still not attached yet, but soon.

That pretty much wrapped up Saturday. Sunday was almost all focused on the door panel. Clamps (clips) came off and luckily everything stayed where I put it. Then began the process of trimming, wrapping, gluing, and adding weight to hold things together. I can't really clamp the stuff around the sides as that would leave marks on the front of the panel and that's no good.

While that was setting, I threw some primer and paint on the console panels. They're not super perfect, but I figure if I ever actually get this car painted, I'll make some new panels (easy now that I have a working shape to copy) and have the shop paint them to match.

Eventually, I got the panel all glued down and attached the window felt. Took a little bit of wrestling, but it's back on the door. That metal piece at the top is a tight fit. You can see some wrinkling in the top of the panel in the pictures, but the flash of the camera makes it look really bad. It's barely noticeable, if at all, in person.

So that's one door panel out of four completely DONE. I'm gonna get some new window cranks and door handles eventually, but that's just cosmetic poo poo. Factories are completely functional. The driver side panel got the vinyl glued up and is currently clamped and setting. I wanted to give it at least a day but probably won't touch it until the weekend. Paint oughtta be cured by then, too. I think I'm going to try to work on something to cover the seam in the vinyl on the console this week. If I can get that figured out and attached, Maybe I can actually fasten the console down to the car this weekend.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. I'm not so sure about the finish, though. I hit the whole thing with a green Scotchbrite pad to give it kind of a "brushed" finish, but it's still not quite as clean as I'd liked it to be. I'm thinking I'll probably paint it eventually.

Paint is all fine and good but may I introduce you to the good word of the lord vinyl wrap. Choose any finish you want, once you start wrapping you won't stop.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
A little bit more work indoors. I had a bunch of poo poo to do this morning so while we were out I swung by a fabric store to look for some ribbon. Why ribbon?

Seam status: covered. I also zip-tied the cables out of the way of the cupholders. With that done, I can get this thing actually attached to the car and call the console DONE. Then I'll get the seat bolted back in and probably finish up the other rear door panel tomorrow.

I found a place that does custom auto upholstery nearby so I think I'll drop them a message and see if they can get me any kind of number on redoing the rear bench. I'll probably have another update tomorrow with the door panel. Almost done with this drat interior.

Edit: Might as well tack in on here instead of another reply.

Console status: DONE.

Wheel and seat are back in as well. Really need to get those front arm rest bases...

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 27, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

That looks amazing! Well done. Watching you make this has given me the confidence to start thinking about building an armrest for one of my cars.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The color combination is looking great in that thing. Love the liberal use of paper purse clamps.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

clam ache posted:

The color combination is looking great in that thing. Love the liberal use of paper purse clamps.

Binder clips are awesome. I've got a whole drawer full in the garage. Between those and spring clamps...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

Binder clips are awesome. I've got a whole drawer full in the garage. Between those and spring clamps...

Fuckin' a right they are. Robbed all these from my model bench.

It was cold and lovely today so I managed to convince myself that the spray adhesive wouldn't stick very well. I'm still waiting on another 'free shipping over $99' code from Ground Up to get the arm rest bases and some other poo poo so maybe that will happen soon and I can coordinate finishing the front panels and that other rear one. Might pull the back seat out again and replace those belts since I have them. Winter sucks.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Weather was just warm enough yesterday for me to be able to convince myself to go out and bang out that last panel. Just imagine my previous progress pics but mirrored. With this done, the back doors are finished. Still need to reach out to that upholstery place about the back seat. I'll drop them a line today and see if they can get me any numbers.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grakkus posted:

That looks amazing! Well done. Watching you make this has given me the confidence to start thinking about building an armrest for one of my cars.

Go for it! I'm still a turbo amateur at this stuff. All it takes is an idea and a little effort. Get some cardboard and start planning stuff out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I took Friday off because I had a bunch of poo poo I wanted to go get done but then we ended up getting like a foot of snow so I ended up not even leaving the loving house. I did take care of the last new parts I had though. Took me a bit to wrestle the back seat out, but I eventually won that fight. I remember my old car being a lot easier to remove. It must have been out quite a few times before I'd bought it because my dad and I were able to just give it a push on the bottom and it came right out of the clips. I had to give this one hell (again) by pushing against it with my leg. Close quarters back there with the front seats still in, too.

Anyway, once it was out, all it took was a few baps of the big impact to get the belts changed.

I didn't put the seat back in because I'd rather save myself the stress of another removal if I can get it rebuilt soon. Still need to get in touch with that upholstery shop.

So that's it for the time being. I have no more parts. I do need to paint the inside of the defrost vents, though. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I don’t think I’m alone in wishing I had the tracking numbers for your next parts shipment because I’m dying for MORE NOVA

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
poo poo, you and me both. I've currently got no new parts to go on and nothing's currently on order. I sent the upholstery shop a message, but they're closed on the weekends. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow. Interior really only needs the front arm rest bases and that seat to really be DONE, but it's definitely driveable now. Well mostly, anyway. I want to give the carb a good cleaning and throw a new distributor cap on the engine just as some general "tune-up" items. I really wanted to flip the air cleaner lid to free up a couple horses, but there's a big dumb thing in the air cleaner base that prevents that. Ah well.

I still need to hog out some holes in the rear shackles because I want to move the leaves down a notch to bring up the rear end end just a little bit. Not much room between the rubber and the quarter panel so I'd like to get that rectified. Problem is, it's still barely over freezing outside and if it's not something that I have to do, I've got a real hard time convincing myself to go out and sit on the frozen concrete floor. I've been kind of a lazy shitbag about it lately. Next MAJOR project on the car will be all new wiring and then lights. That's getting into $$$ territory though and I'd like to actually drive the car before then.

Spring is near. Hopefully the first "new" test drive will follow not long after. The monster nearly lives.

Since updates without pictures suck, here's a pie I made a couple weeks ago.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Have you got room to do the Engine Masters salad bowl air cleaner trick?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slothrop posted:

Have you got room to do the Engine Masters salad bowl air cleaner trick?

Only if I wanna put a bigass hole in my hood :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Who said you had to put a hood on? :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elmnt80 posted:

Who said you had to put a hood on? :v:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Never heard from the first shop so I fired off an email to a second. Got a reply in about a half hour. For a full re-foam and re-cover to match the fronts, he came back with $950. I have no frame of reference at all for upholstery stuff so I don't really know how that compares to the market. Any of you guys every had any seats redone by a shop?

Edit: called up the first shop and the dude actually answered. Sounded nice enough so maybe he's just not a text guy. Bullshitted a little bit about what I'm looking for and he gave me a softball number. $450-$500 for foam and labor. I like that number a lot better. I'll be getting the fabric from Corbeau so that'll probably be another 200 or so, but poo poo. Gonna see if I can find another place or two and get some more numbers, but that dude's at the top of the list now.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 16, 2018