Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm actually at a point where I don't know how to progress the story. Am I meant to use the radio transmitter to get next steps?

I have been neglecting it and really haven't listened to many entries. I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do (go to the mountain island --> get scanned --> go to the lost river --> not sure at this point) but I don't know how to start this cascade of events.

What did you guys do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

Is anyone disappointed the sunbeam sort of... poofs?

Considering other ships crash landed and had survivors and generated wrecks it was actually really weird.

I was expected to have a cool bit with rubble falling behind me as the wrecked main body of the ship splashed into water in the distance but just... nothing? Weird as hell.

Yeah, i thought something like that too, only i thought "ooo, titanium!".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vasler posted:

I'm actually at a point where I don't know how to progress the story. Am I meant to use the radio transmitter to get next steps?

I have been neglecting it and really haven't listened to many entries. I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do (go to the mountain island --> get scanned --> go to the lost river --> not sure at this point) but I don't know how to start this cascade of events.

What did you guys do?

Stop neglecting the constantly beeping radio transmitter.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
I see a lot of complaining in this thread, but i just finished the game and it was amazing.

Guess i was lucky with no big bugs hitting me, but if i never return to the game again it was easily worth the money for the single blind playthrough. Ill take a break from the game now i guess, but i can easily see me return for another run.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Vasler posted:

What did you guys do?

The story is very subtle and come trough radio, scanable items of interest and data download. You won't necessarily get waypoints on your hud, sometime it is just a data entry in your PDA (in "clues") .

There are two chains to follow: the "escape" and another that is optional but give you some usefull stuff and leads you to various point of interests (the story from the trailer guy).
The second one is started by listening to a radio transmission from an Aurora officer that may found an island.

I made myself a list of stuff to pack so I can build a micro base with a scanner. Might interest some people, it fit in a seamoth with 3 cargo.
Both options for either Thermal or Bio powered (fuel not included)

Spreadsheet:https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhLcfTW_IYjlrDD_19c5WWudrLJw

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2018

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Speedball posted:

Excellent idea, and probably how the game is meant to be played, honestly, since there's no map.

I've seen people referencing map coordinates, so someone's got one somewhere, but I much more enjoy my own amateur cartography.

Krogort posted:

I made myself a list of stuff to pack so I can build a micro base with a scanner. Might interest some people, it fit in a seamoth with 3 cargo.
Both options for either Thermal or Bio powered (fuel not included)

Spreadsheet:https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhLcfTW_IYjlrDD_19c5WWudrLJw

...scanner room range upgrades stack? This is game-changing.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Bizarre Echo posted:

I've seen people referencing map coordinates, so someone's got one somewhere, but I much more enjoy my own amateur cartography.

They do, just don't expect to scan the whole map with one. It's like 500m maximum.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Comrade Koba posted:

Thanks for the advice. :)

Went to the Aurora and got everything in there (took 2 trips), now I need to farm Magnetite so I can build the next depth upgrade for the Seamoth. Is the Jellyshroom Cave a good place to look?
EDIT: It was! Managed to fill my entire inventory and the Seamoth storage unit with magnetite, diamonds and lithium

After that, I need to find somwhere to gather Gel Sacks and Rubies so I can make the aerogel needed to make the Prawn.

Also, when I was gathering Lithium in the Mushroom Forest, I kept hearing some sort of loud whistling/howling in the distance. Was that a leviathan?

Mountains can get you gel sacs, the dunes have a few open spots to grab rubies. You can also basehop your way down the Lost River to get to the Blue Tree chamber for easy access to most things.

Bizarre Echo posted:

Map coordinates are a console thing, but you can also just place beacons. Or figure out your coordinates by triangulating between the islands and Aurora.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Krogort posted:

They do, just don't expect to scan the whole map with one. It's like 500m maximum.

I'll take it! I initially played this game before moonpools were introduced, so finding out about scanning rooms and being able to make materials show up on your HUD was incredible to me. Being able to make them show up at longer range is even better!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Goddamn, just finished it. What a ride!

Almost feel a bit emotional, been following this game on and off since early beta, remember being so freaked by those reefbacks. Can't wait for VR to be properly patched/working (hope they're able to keep up working on that) because my first test gave me back all that initial fear multiplied several times over.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jusupov posted:

Every time I look at my scanner it seems to have different stuff it can scan. Worst was down to 1 page from 3

Right now I can't get my scanners to find fragments, which is really slowing me down, as I need that drat drill arm for my prawn. And the grapple :saddowns:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

GlyphGryph posted:

Considering other ships crash landed and had survivors and generated wrecks it was actually really weird.

I was expected to have a cool bit with rubble falling behind me as the wrecked main body of the ship splashed into water in the distance but just... nothing? Weird as hell.

Within the fiction of the game, this is explained: the Aurora is a massive cruise liner of a ship, the Sunbeam is a "six-seater" and much smaller, so it basically got evaporated. Sort of like the difference between a freight train and a camper van.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has anyone else had a bug where the mobile vehicle bay doesn't unfold once it reaches the surface?

How do you get around it?

Edit: Turns out dropping it from your inventory doesn't work, you have to put it on a hotkey then drop it from there.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 29, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did they just remove the ability to find scannable items in the sensor room? I was using it like last week and that option isn't there anymore.

As in Fragments? No, but the Scanner Room is a bit...special. Sometimes you need to go around and load surrounding areas for it to realize that things exist in range of the room

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Probably intentional because that thing is tiny compared to the Aurora.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
yeah i didnt expect aurora level wreckage, but one just a few small pieces would have been nice.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I wish I could finish this game but the FPS is murdering my eyeballs. Just the most ridiculous swings from high 80s to low 20s for no reason, constantly.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
Fun bug: Started a new playthrough, made a run for the mountain island right away, used the QEP interface, and it... turned off. Sure enough, self-scanning myself revealed no sign of infection. So, uh, I guess in this playthrough I'm playing a naturally immune character.

I assume the plot is completely broken at this point.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
You're not sick at the beginning, there's some trigger event (time? player action?) that results in you getting infected.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I think you're supposed to be sick no matter what when going to the gun island, i beelined there too to get easy access to the multipurpose room blueprint and i got the infected message before i got there. Keep us posted about what happens to the Sunbeam!

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Maybe you started in creative mode. Story is disabled there I think.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Saving Sunbeam was impossible, at least for me. I got cured and turned off the cannon before Sunbeam arrived, and it was still destroyed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When I read the Wiki last month, it mentioned turning the QEP off before the Sunbeam arrives.

The Sunbeam stays in orbit, telling you there's too much debris to attempt a landing (from the Aurora) and that they'll tell someone at their next stop.

I don't know how true it is, the Wiki is godawful.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Dongattack posted:

I think you're supposed to be sick no matter what when going to the gun island, i beelined there too to get easy access to the multipurpose room blueprint and i got the infected message before i got there. Keep us posted about what happens to the Sunbeam!

"Aurora survivors, this is trading ship Sunbeam. We've tracked your distress signal, but your ship's left a substantial debris field up in orbit, we can't attempt a landing. We're gonna have to head home. We'll send our data to Alterra as soon as we can. Hold on in there. Sunbeam, out." Hooray?

Looks like they did a decent job of defensively programming against a sequence break. I've also gotten the radio message from Alterra HQ about the code to get the escape rocket. I'm going to stop playing for the night, but when I start again I'll try heading for the disease research facility and see what happens.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm still pretty early on, like I haven't gone to the Aurora yet. Do I need to ever set flipper in the Void, because I really don't want to have to if it's not plot essential.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If by void you mean off the edge of the map then nah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So apparently exploring the Aurora is impossible in VR. Number pads just plain don't work! Will have to finish exploring the ship on a flat monitor.

Ah well. Crazy to see how big they've made this place now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ShoulderDaemon posted:

"Aurora survivors, this is trading ship Sunbeam. We've tracked your distress signal, but your ship's left a substantial debris field up in orbit, we can't attempt a landing. We're gonna have to head home. We'll send our data to Alterra as soon as we can. Hold on in there. Sunbeam, out." Hooray?

Looks like they did a decent job of defensively programming against a sequence break. I've also gotten the radio message from Alterra HQ about the code to get the escape rocket. I'm going to stop playing for the night, but when I start again I'll try heading for the disease research facility and see what happens.

Did you get that in 1.0? Because I disabled the gun after clearing the main storyline before the Sunbeam arrived, and I sure got the Sunbeam shot down.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

endlessmonotony posted:

Did you get that in 1.0? Because I disabled the gun after clearing the main storyline before the Sunbeam arrived, and I sure got the Sunbeam shot down.

I'm on whatever is stable on steam right now; which I assume is 1.0?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

So apparently exploring the Aurora is impossible in VR. Number pads just plain don't work! Will have to finish exploring the ship on a flat monitor.

Ah well. Crazy to see how big they've made this place now.

You need to turn gaze based cursor on in the options to use things like the number pads and the screen in the scanner room. It's also off center so look down and left(or right. I cant remember right now) of what button you want to push.

Also the sunbeam's arrival timer wont show up in VR. I ended up missing it while exploring the Aurora.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

You're not sick at the beginning, there's some trigger event (time? player action?) that results in you getting infected.

No, you're sick from extremely early on; you're thinking of stage two symptoms, most likely.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You're sick from the second you touch the water both in the lore and game mechanics. The scanner won't reveal it immediately though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

yeah i didnt expect aurora level wreckage, but one just a few small pieces would have been nice.

Well the gun is bigger than the ship.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Game good. Wish I could find a third laser cutter part though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: that was a bad miss

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 29, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Decided to try to explore the Blood Kelp Trench in my fancy new Prawn, got lost and stumbled into Lost River. Punched a Ghost Leviathan in the face. Wandered aimlessly into the Deep Grand Reef, back through Lost River, then finally managed to find the exit back to the Blood Kelp. Made futile attempt to jump back out of trench, then my power cell ran out as I was standing on a thin ledge halfway up a huge drop. Swam away, managed to get to the Grassy Plains before dying of dehydration like a chump. Went back with a fresh power cell, jumped my way back out of the trench and found the drill and torpedo arm upgrade fragments I'd been looking for in the first place lying around on a random shelf.

Also found all fragments for the nuclear reactor, but I'm not sure it's worth building until I've got a base that's in a deeper location?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nuclear Reactor is never really needed imo, there's just not enough you need on a base that draws that much power unless you wanna have like 4 water filtration systems going or something. So build it wherever you want to.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Do the nuclear reactor need refueling frome time to time or can you set it up once and forget about it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Krogort posted:

Do the nuclear reactor need refueling frome time to time or can you set it up once and forget about it?

2,500 energy per rod goes away surprisingly fast. But it should last you a good while unless you want to use water filtration machines.

No, seriously. The wiki cites 1,175 energy per bottle, 2,350 for a full cycle of the machine :v:

The big perk to nuclear power is that it's the highest output in the game, and it's all in one internal base object. Sometimes you want an outpost that can do heavy lifting without stopping to set up several thermal plants or dealing with at times wonky power relays.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao half a nuclear fuel rod to make a bottle of water what the living hell