Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
They made a gamejam game over 4 days in july 2015 and then realized it loving owned and decided to make this version of it. Originally announced in either late june or early July 2016

Matt Thorson has a bit of a history with really hard performers, go find some videos of his mario maker levels they're pretty sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
He did the old newgrounds Jumper games right? I don't entirely remember my timelines but I'm pretty sure that even predated the old Flash version of Meat Boy

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yup

Thats why ogmo is a guest in super meat boy

They actually still use a version of the ogmo level editor for celeste

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

goferchan posted:

He did the old newgrounds Jumper games right? I don't entirely remember my timelines but I'm pretty sure that even predated the old Flash version of Meat Boy

Yep, and there are some other games he made with Game Maker as well.

Some of the earlier ones are a bit rough, but I really liked An Untitled Story and Runman.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A lot of lovely games come out nowadays but man it's too loving cool to get to play something f truly excellent made by some dude whose flash games I was playing in my highschool library 12 years ago lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

goferchan posted:

A lot of lovely games come out nowadays but man it's too loving cool to get to play something f truly excellent made by some dude whose flash games I was playing in my highschool library 12 years ago lol

:same: I really enjoyed his old games several years ago too, so it's very nice to see that he's doing well now with regards to game development.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Towerfall did pretty good but this is some next level poo poo. They gonna be living large (paying off the loans they probably took to make this)

It was in the top 5 sellers on switch eshop last i checked

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nintendo switch ftw baby. I'm really glad small devs have been doing well on the platform. Definitely curious to learn what % of their sales were there if that info ever gets released

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha i just unlocked the original pico 8 game and it got added to the main menu. this game really owns

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finished 4 to the tune of a shitload of deaths, then proceeded to 4B of course.

:argh::ughh::negative::suicide:

MOTHER FUCKER

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I never 100% games. I always find it a waste of time and there's always so many other games I could be playing.

I'm gonna 100% this game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Zaggitz posted:

The chapter 4 blue heart was a great reference.

I saw that block and thought "...surely not!" and then was like "what the hell, lessee" and was very happily surprised.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
6-B ughhhh. 700+ deaths. So far 7-B is a lot easier

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

What's with the room in chapter 6 with a statue, some triangle carvings and coloured floating diamonds?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

frameset posted:

What's with the room in chapter 6 with a statue, some triangle carvings and coloured floating diamonds?

Did you get Chapter 1's Crystal Heart? If not don't worry about it until you do.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/957673481952362496

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/957673649707794434

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

game is hard. game is good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

have three berries left in the middle section of chapter 8 and then im taking a break for a day or two before starting B sides hell.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SeXReX posted:

Towerfall did pretty good but this is some next level poo poo. They gonna be living large (paying off the loans they probably took to make this)

It was in the top 5 sellers on switch eshop last i checked

got featured in the newsfeed and is now number 2 behind the game it is the dark souls of (mario) :3

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know the game barely came out, but is there a list of where the B-side tapes can be found? I've only found one so far, and I'm on chapter 6. So I might as well finish and then find them.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

-Chapter 7 berry-
How bad would you feel if I told you the easy way to get that is to go to the next checkpoint,. and take the golden feather there backwards

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know the game barely came out, but is there a list of where the B-side tapes can be found? I've only found one so far, and I'm on chapter 6. So I might as well finish and then find them.

When you go back to a level, the section of the chapter that has the tape will have it in silhouette like missing strawberries. Otherwise, we can always give you hints and spoilers here if you get frustrated trying to find one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This game has me tearing up a little, in between electronica zen platforming moments.

It's really, really good. I'm just in heaven.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Asclepius posted:

How bad would you feel if I told you the easy way to get that is to go to the next checkpoint,. and take the golden feather there backwards

That's cheating

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just finished chapter 5 and have a question. I found myself obsessively lighting every lamp I could throughout the chapter, but I think I missed some because I decided to head up to where the mirror was thinking that was a secret path and missed a couple rooms. Was there any meaning to doing that, and therefore will I want to do it again when I replay the chapter to get what I missed?"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

grand theft grotto posted:

Just finished chapter 5 and have a question. I found myself obsessively lighting every lamp I could throughout the chapter, but I think I missed some because I decided to head up to where the mirror was thinking that was a secret path and missed a couple rooms. Was there any meaning to doing that, and therefore will I want to do it again when I replay the chapter to get what I missed?"

naw, they're just for decoration

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Chapter 7 is kicking my butt. The sections are so long. I'm almost at the end though I think. The signs are counting down and I only have 4 left.

edit: and just like that I finished the game apparently. Woot. time to go back and find all the strawberrys and poo poo.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 28, 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Chapter 7 is kicking my butt. The sections are so long. I'm almost at the end though I think. The signs are counting down and I only have 4 left.

You're almost there my brother, the view from the top is brilliant!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

SeXReX posted:

You're almost there my brother, the view from the top is brilliant!

you caught me as I was editing, just made it to the top!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

naw, they're just for decoration

Oh I'm so glad.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god drat the soundtrack to this game is very very good. i wasn't convinced until halfway through chapter 2 (when dark maddy starts wreckin your poo poo), and now i think it's just bananas good. can't not listen to it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

alf_pogs posted:

god drat the soundtrack to this game is very very good. i wasn't convinced until halfway through chapter 2 (when dark maddy starts wreckin your poo poo), and now i think it's just bananas good. can't not listen to it

yeah I really hope the composer finds one of those indie game record labels that is interested in pressing copies, although it being on cassette would probably make for better lore

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

SeXReX posted:

yeah I really hope the composer finds one of those indie game record labels that is interested in pressing copies, although it being on cassette would probably make for better lore

It's on spotify.

alr
May 14, 2009
Game is amazing, hits a perfect balance of story and gameplay that makes me want to keep playing. Difficulty is perfect, the normal maps sometimes have a hub world feel to them with the B sides existing purely to wreck your poo poo. Also happy with how many of the rooms aren't necessarily about frame perfect action or whatever, but almost feel like a puzzle game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

It's on spotify.

yeah and I pre-ordered it on bandcamp once she posted the link. I want physical copies though because I'm a huge dork record hoarder

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
The last bits of 7-B... Jeez that was surprising. I wonder if knowing that would have helped in any earlier sections. I'm terrified in how it might be used later on. Having to do it once at the end of a long spiky cloud section was bad enough. I couldn't hit it consistently.

Although I did find you can do basically the same thing at the ground, which launches you forward. I've only used that like once for easier traversal.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Asclepius posted:

The last bits of 7-B... Jeez that was surprising. I wonder if knowing that would have helped in any earlier sections. I'm terrified in how it might be used later on. Having to do it once at the end of a long spiky cloud section was bad enough. I couldn't hit it consistently.

Although I did find you can do basically the same thing at the ground, which launches you forward. I've only used that like once for easier traversal.

the game teaches you that one too..... eventually

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Yeah. Let's go with that. That works.

(from this tim rogers review for kotaku)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHKg_0fFJs4

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah. Let's go with that. That works.

This is gibberish and it angers me that someone was paid to write it and someone else was paid to say "Yeah, that's acceptable."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's interesting, because I generally agree with it.

Just breathe, you can do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1stGear posted:

This is gibberish and it angers me that someone was paid to write it and someone else was paid to say "Yeah, that's acceptable."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yii1u2Lz-II