Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Exploding Ming in even a 100% war depends a lot on doing the "occupy every province, withdraw your forces, and wait until the entire country is occupied by spawned rebels before you sue for peace" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Russia and the Mamluks declared war on my ally, I killed 400,000 of them, and my ally accepted peace for 220 gold. What the gently caress AI.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sounds like you got owned.

(Never, ever do the heavy lifting for the AI)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You allied Perfidious Albion didn't you.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

StealthArcher posted:

You allied Perfidious Albion didn't you.

No it was Chagatai against Russia (I usually don't do the heavy lifting for the AI but I will take any opportunity to hurt AI Russia because gently caress AI Russia)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ming is stupid because they still get all the small countries as tributaries by requesting it diplomatically. If the AI does not share a border with Ming, it should have a -5000 modifier for that.

Right now if you play in Asia, becoming a Ming tributary asap is still your optimal playstyle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Second go at Inca and it appears by going faster at the initial conquering as Cusco (stop giving a gently caress about the diplo/aggressive expansion cost and ask for *everything*) sets you up pretty nicely for the long haul to the full religious reform. I kept Muisca around as a buffer for when Castile/Spain came knocking initially because they had much better mil tech and peaced when the majority of the army descended for basically a single province on my side. That area went back and forth a couple times before Muisca and I got out ahead. Then England got into La Plata but their attempts to drive me out didn't go far.

Of course I hosed up and didn't realize high religious authority equalled high Clergy influence, which had me in crisis for a good 20 years. Also had a bit of difficulty starting off reforms due to the european wars.

As it stands now, one Spain/Portugal/France war that I held off to some dumb territorial provinces recently taken from Portugal's CN in Brazil (have fun with all that religious zeal!) and the coastline is nearly filled out.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Hoo-ee. My Japanese playthrough is winding down with about thirty years to go, and because of how much money I made with my trade dominance I've built nearly all the buildings I could and half of my army is mercenaries. Now I'm on a mission from hell to gobble up as many provinces as possible. I think in the past 50 years I gobbled up a good number of provinces from Pasai, Khmer (also now my Vassal) Ayuthatta, Mamluks, Brunei, Shan, and a few other little guys I forget about. So now my goal for the next thirty years is to gobble up the rest of the Southeast Asia Peninsula and Singapore. If I'm lucky, I'll even get to invade India!

Wild to think I started as just the Uesugi. Fun times.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hrmm I guess I should have recruited Janissaries in Constantinople before I triggered the option to make it Capitol (which converts it)? Or do I lose the Janissaries if I convert the province that they came from?

Also I guess I should go ahead and recruit them as soon as I am able/can afford the Mil point cost?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't bother at all, janissaries aren't that great. -10% damage received is nice, but everything else about them is pretty weak. They still draw from your manpower pool to reinforce, and they actually cost twice as much money to do so. The bonus to drilling doesn't affect professionalism gain at all. So basically you're paying 10 MIL to save 10 ducats and 1000 manpower and get a marginally better infantry regiment.

Oh also you get a disaster if you have too many of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't bother at all, janissaries aren't that great. -10% damage received is nice, but everything else about them is pretty weak. They still draw from your manpower pool to reinforce, and they actually cost twice as much money to do so. The bonus to drilling doesn't affect professionalism gain at all. So basically you're paying 10 MIL to save 10 ducats and 1000 manpower and get a marginally better infantry regiment.

Oh also you get a disaster if you have too many of them.
:cripes: and yet Russia gets a unit that does more fire damage lmao. I may just uninstall and stop buying DLC the way they are going with things, and just wait for EU5.

edit: to add on so I sound like less of a baby about it - I was already losing interest in the game when it got to the point that it is so micromanage-y. There are a lot of little things that have added up that have eroded my interest and enthusiasm for the game. Little things like needing to remember to click the War Taxes button once I take the the era-related bonus button thing to make them free, micromanaging estates, and now bigger things like needing to remember to drill my armies between wars or I feel like I am losing out on important things or manually occupying ever province of my war target, needing to march into <far away place> in the 1450s just to kick my opponent's ally out of the war so I can end it now rather than in 5 years. Add all the micromanagement stuff to things like Ming, the new eras, and Russia getting OP free infantry when Russia is already ridiculous enough just burn me out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 28, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me a whole Sunday of restarting but I finally managed to get a good start (Not dying by 1450) with Byzantium. In 20 years of gameplay the Ottomans now have lost wars to Albania/Venice/Me, Mamluks, me solo, Bosnia/Servia Superbalkan Tag Team and finally one to Genoa.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:cripes: and yet Russia gets a unit that does more fire damage lmao. I may just uninstall and stop buying DLC the way they are going with things, and just wait for EU5.

edit: to add on so I sound like less of a baby about it - I was already losing interest in the game when it got to the point that it is so micromanage-y. There are a lot of little things that have added up that have eroded my interest and enthusiasm for the game. Little things like needing to remember to click the War Taxes button once I take the the era-related bonus button thing to make them free, micromanaging estates, and now bigger things like needing to remember to drill my armies between wars or I feel like I am losing out on important things or manually occupying ever province of my war target, needing to march into <far away place> in the 1450s just to kick my opponent's ally out of the war so I can end it now rather than in 5 years. Add all the micromanagement stuff to things like Ming, the new eras, and Russia getting OP free infantry when Russia is already ridiculous enough just burn me out.

Maybe you’re just a bit burned out? I took a year break before CoC came out and came back to game wanting to play a bunch of new nations. I think I’m down to maybe one or two more before I take another break.

Like I don’t disagree that the dlcs can be kinda ridiculous (Ming is still bullshit, Russia is OP, mana bars everywhere that don’t really integrate with anything), but maybe if you take a break for a bit the game will feel a bit more fresh to you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The bigger a nation is the more stable it becomes (just like in actual history :v: ). The more different religions and cultures you have supplying tons of men to die gloriously in mass slaughters over and over while shoveling in wagon trains full of taxes in a country the easier it becomes to manage.

Russia is ridiculous. Unless they get stomped repeatably early on before they swallow Novgorod they have no real threats at all until the Ottoman pain train heads north (this obviously doesn't happen if they start circle jerking together instead).

I keep forgetting edicts exist because they are hidden away behind a button on a tab I practically never use. :argh:

Oh, and if you want to feel some refreshing winds in EU4 the answer is custom nations. Not necessarily overpowered ones (unless you make them AI of course) but it can let you do so much fun stuff.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

if a fort gets besieged when the fort only has 30% or 60% garrisons, does that impact the dice rolls for siege progression?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

double nine posted:

if a fort gets besieged when the fort only has 30% or 60% garrisons, does that impact the dice rolls for siege progression?

Nope. If it's below 100 men, though, the next siege roll will occupy it.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I could have sworn you get a +1 to your siege roll if the garrison is below 50%.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Tendronai posted:

I could have sworn you get a +1 to your siege roll if the garrison is below 50%.

This is what I thought as well, but I'm not seeing the tooltip anywhere. The EU4 wiki seems to agree though.

Specifically with this- "Insufficient Garrison: Having less than half of the maximum garrison gives the attacker a +1 bonus. If the fort has no garrison whatsoever (i.e., if the fort has been mothballed during this month), then the province is treated as unfortified and the siege will automatically succeed. "

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's real.

Normally that would be -2.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

really queer Christmas posted:

Maybe you’re just a bit burned out? I took a year break before CoC came out and came back to game wanting to play a bunch of new nations. I think I’m down to maybe one or two more before I take another break.

Like I don’t disagree that the dlcs can be kinda ridiculous (Ming is still bullshit, Russia is OP, mana bars everywhere that don’t really integrate with anything), but maybe if you take a break for a bit the game will feel a bit more fresh to you.

I've stopped playing for now as well, maybe the next patch/DLC will do something entertaining but for now the game is worse than it was in 2016. Hopefully the HoI4 DLC will be out soon, so I can waste my time on that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don't understand Independence Wars at all.

Three vassals. One of them very desiring of liberty, one constantly on the edge and in the process of being annexed, one quite loyal (I thought) March. The trouble maker declares independence and the other two honour their alliance with them. This is a big mistake, I thought, because alone I can take them, let alone with my allies.

So I seal off the one I was annexing (that process is gone, sadly) and let my ally take that one, while I go to work on the March. The March is quickly out of army and out of forts starts giving me peace offers. But as far as I can tell, accepting the seperate peace doesn't put them back under my control. And there's not option to Vassalize them in the peace screens either. So they just get away free?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

doingitwrong posted:

I don't understand Independence Wars at all.

Three vassals. One of them very desiring of liberty, one constantly on the edge and in the process of being annexed, one quite loyal (I thought) March. The trouble maker declares independence and the other two honour their alliance with them. This is a big mistake, I thought, because alone I can take them, let alone with my allies.

So I seal off the one I was annexing (that process is gone, sadly) and let my ally take that one, while I go to work on the March. The March is quickly out of army and out of forts starts giving me peace offers. But as far as I can tell, accepting the seperate peace doesn't put them back under my control. And there's not option to Vassalize them in the peace screens either. So they just get away free?

Accepting a white peace or better with a vassal (or any peace that does not explicitly demand you give them independence) will return you to status quo of being the overlord of your March/Vassal/Colonial Nation/Jr Partner/etc.

You dont need to demand "Remain my vassal" as a peace option, that is the default result without your vassal demanding liberty in the peace

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Oh, thanks.

That’s great, makes sense, and is not at all clear in the UI.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's real.

Normally that would be -2.

You learn something new every day. Speaking of sieges, I'm really falling in love with the Artillery Barrage button.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Welp ... trying to do Auld Alliance Reversed and my allies Castille, Aragon and myself just can't put a dent into France's troops holy hellballs. White peaced out and will try to somehow get austria or someone else allied because motherhell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shroud posted:

You learn something new every day. Speaking of sieges, I'm really falling in love with the Artillery Barrage button.

Right? It's one of the reasons I almost always have MIL focus on. It even makes assaults viable. If you know what you're doing you can go full blitzkrieg and end a war in a few months.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I decided to try a Timurids game while waiting for the new patch, since I've never really played with them.

The first 10 years are a bit nerveracking. You basically have to be at war constantly to make sure your vassals don't rebel while simultaneously praying your ancient King-General doesn't die at a bad time.
The only reason the country can even work is that you still have cores on all your vassals so you integrate them instantly.
It is a lot of fun though, I'm starting to eat into India so I can form the Mughals.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

Yeah I think you're right. I've been with the EU franchise since the very beginning, playing it off and on for close to 20 years now (gently caress) so burnout is a very real possibility. I still enjoy the game but my patience is short when it comes to certain things so I should probably just take a break after I try this Ottomans playthrough a bit more. They have always been my go-to when coming back or post patch.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Second go at Inca and it appears by going faster at the initial conquering as Cusco (stop giving a gently caress about the diplo/aggressive expansion cost and ask for *everything*) sets you up pretty nicely for the long haul to the full religious reform. I kept Muisca around as a buffer for when Castile/Spain came knocking initially because they had much better mil tech and peaced when the majority of the army descended for basically a single province on my side. That area went back and forth a couple times before Muisca and I got out ahead. Then England got into La Plata but their attempts to drive me out didn't go far.

Of course I hosed up and didn't realize high religious authority equalled high Clergy influence, which had me in crisis for a good 20 years. Also had a bit of difficulty starting off reforms due to the european wars.

As it stands now, one Spain/Portugal/France war that I held off to some dumb territorial provinces recently taken from Portugal's CN in Brazil (have fun with all that religious zeal!) and the coastline is nearly filled out.

I haven't done it in many expansions, but last time I did an Inca run, I focused on going north. I then explored and vassalized the OPMs on the coast of Brazil. Then when the Europeans came over, they could only see that one province of mine. They colonized nearby, then I colonized next to them and used that to pass my last religious reform super early. They eventually declared war, but since they only saw those 2 provinces, that was all they could take. Then I went north and conquered Mexico. By then I was strong enough to duke it out with the European nations so I started to expand south and eventually took all of the Portuguese holdings then worked my way up north to take out the Spanish holdings.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am playing as the Ottomans - why is Tunis raiding my coasts when we are both Sunni?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Target province isn't Sunni. I had to go look that up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So next immersion pack seems to be about England? Suits me, it’s the great power I play the most.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

England is super boring to me, all you can fight is France or the HRE neither which are very fun. And you have the parliament penalties to deal with as well. :shrug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You are also one of the better nations to forms colonial empire with, which can be enforced by the strongest navy in Europe.

For some reason I feel compelled to start colonizing the new world as a European power, which leads to me barely ever touching countries east of France.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sage Grimm posted:

Target province isn't Sunni. I had to go look that up.
I had looked around and couldnt find it or missed it, so thank you! I was rather confused. I wonder if I play nice with Tunis they wont raid me...?

Poil posted:

England is super boring to me, all you can fight is France or the HRE neither which are very fun. And you have the parliament penalties to deal with as well. :shrug:
I agree but I think we will find out a lot more today about the nature of the Immersion pack....wasnt there a chance it was about Iberia?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speak of the devil, here it is: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-january-2018.1067260/

It is about England :v:

They are adding an England-specific church, Coal as a late-game resource (spawns in specific places replacing what is already there) and some QoL stuff.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Speak of the devil, here it is: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-january-2018.1067260/

It is about England :v:

They are adding an England-specific church, Coal as a late-game resource (spawns in specific places replacing what is already there) and some QoL stuff.

That's cool because the industrial revolution should honestly be the final institution

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I can see modders doing some cool stuff with latent resources.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jabor posted:

I can see modders doing some cool stuff with latent resources.

Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lawman 0 posted:

That's cool because the industrial revolution should honestly be the final institution

Ehhh, within the time frame of the game the industrial revolution was basically only a thing in Britain and was just starting to gain traction in Belgium and the Ruhr valley around the time the game ends. I can see why they don’t really want to get into it in the game.