Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

only 80s kids will remember this [brief video of ronald reagan in sequinned cowboy clothes w hat chaps and boots, crawling thru a viet nam jungle toward an unwary big bird, who is lecturing children in russian]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

It's an appeal to consistency. At this point, I don't know why anyone expects it to work. Reagan himself said "A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." How the gently caress do you talk about being a consistent and good faith actor when they venerate a dude who's famous for saying some complete weaselly bullshit like that?

i don't know what's dumber: this excuse or the fact that it actually worked

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squizzle posted:

only 80s kids will remember this [brief video of ronald reagan in sequinned cowboy clothes w hat chaps and boots, crawling thru a viet nam jungle toward an unwary big bird, who is lecturing children in russian]

Spitting Image at its prime.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

today’s succ tweet of the day is.....

https://twitter.com/jenashleywright/status/957698883517386752

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When you think about it, really, the Habsburg dynasty was the best group of people to be running that empire

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my presumably mainline Protestant pastor started talking in the sermon today about how Israel is an apartheid state backed by the USA and I snapped out of my stupor for a few seconds with a ! over my head before returning to my patrol route

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the divine right of kennedys

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The replies to that tweet are all "but we shouldn't reject someone out of hand just because of who their ancestors were :angel:" and it's like whoa what happened to my goalposts they were right here a second ago

I thought we were talking about whether we should immediately coronate a Kennedy as President, not about whether we should deny him service at Dunkin Donuts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I swear monarchism is well and alive in the american population, I thought we purged all these goddamn idiots out

so many people are pulling at the reins to leap forward and worship and venerate hereditary elites and invent justifications for why they're actually incredibly good and important that they have control over us

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I swear monarchism is well and alive in the american population, I thought we purged all these goddamn idiots out

Someone post that "Chelsea 2024, Malia 2032, Sasha 2040" bumper sticker.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Author of IT ENDED BADLY and GET WELL SOON (@henryholt) and KILLER FASHION. Feminism for @harpersbazaarus. I am the witch who is hunting you.
New York

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Behold, the most qualified candidate in history:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

mastershakeman posted:

my presumably mainline Protestant pastor started talking in the sermon today about how Israel is an apartheid state backed by the USA and I snapped out of my stupor for a few seconds with a ! over my head before returning to my patrol route

Glad to see the mainline Protestants getting pissed at this poo poo :yeah:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Someone post that "Chelsea 2024, Malia 2032, Sasha 2040" bumper sticker.

please don’t, it ruins my day

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

In hindsight, this was always the logical end point of the "qualified candidate" thing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

so many people are pulling at the reins to leap forward and worship and venerate hereditary elites and invent justifications for why they're actually incredibly good and important that they have control over us

seriously between them and the goddamn nazis its like everyone we went to war to kill has come back to gently caress up the country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

glad to see the dems are falling in line behind the jenna bush candidacy

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

"actually being anti-dynasty is racist" - joy reid in a week

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

please don’t, it ruins my day

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i count 5 bead necklaces

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
one, two, three, fouuuuur, fiiiiiiive. five beaded necklaces ha ha ha

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they're made of iron, #resistance training b*tch

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

seriously between them and the goddamn nazis its like everyone we went to war to kill has come back to gently caress up the country

first as tragedy, then as farce

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:sigh:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I wasn't alive during Reagan but I was alive during Bill Clinton and that was almost as bad

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

first as tragedy, then as farce

the nazis, then the monarchists, I guess next comes the communists

:getin:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

joe kennedy iii is when the grandson doctor only passed because his doctor grandfather made a donation for a new university wing. i totally want that guy as my doctor.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

literally an argument for castes

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Regular brain: Washington and the founding fathers were shortsighted in writing a constitution that would resist changing to meet the needs of new times

Galaxy brain: Washington and the founding fathers were shortsighted in writing a constitution rather than installing themselves as a sitting monarch and landed aristocracy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

*Zizek voice* My god, pure shucc

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
I too think W did an amazing job and was a perfect president.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

in retrospect, this post was so incredibly prescient re: wright's tweet

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's essentially the same thing that happened to the Soviet Union, which was bureuacratic ossification. To reach a high place of power in the Soviet Union required building up like a Party CV if you will - if you weren't an original bolshevik or a hero of the Great Patriotic War then you had to build up your credit from an early age by joining the Young Pioneers, which was like the Soviet boy/girl scouts. Then once you were 14 or 15 you could apply to join the Komsomol, or the Young Communist League - and while the Komsomol in itself wasn't a powerful organization it did serve as a vetting mechanism to establish Party loyalty and indoctrination from a young age, which was considered a big requirement for bureaucratic position. General Secretary Andropov himself established his credentials by working as the First Secretary of the Karelian Komsomol during WW2.

So the end result of this formalistic process of vetting and bureaucratic climbing meant that, by the 1980s when all the old guard had died off, the Soviet Union was effectively ruled by a professional political class that had never known any life other than communism. And unlike the old guard communists who all came from peasant, proletarian, or military backgrounds, the Soviet political class didn't have any real ties to proletarian labor. What they did have though were perks, and while the perks of being a nomenklatura were a lot better than what the average prole could get - it was still nothing like being a rich capitalist class. So by the end of perestroika, while the Soviet masses were demanding the transformation of the Soviet economy into a more democratic worker-directed system, the nomenklatura were conspiring to dissolve the Soviet Union and privatize everything. And they got their chance when all the Soviet satellite republics started declaring their independence, which cleared the way for Yeltsin to supplant Gorbachev after resisting the August Coup and to dissolve the Soviet Union. It was also the old nomenklatura that profited the most from Russian privatization schemes, because they could exploit their special knowledge of the political economy to buy up all of the most productive and profitable industries before anybody else.

To become a politician in the United States requires a similar process of vetting and political climbing. You need to come from at least a middle class family which could finance your way through college, earn a law degree, become a lawyer, then become a lawmaker and eventually work your way up political offices to national politics. That's the career path Obama took, and every step of the way his academic and legal work was building up a case which vetted him for consideration as a presidential nominee. That's also why there was so much insistence that Hillary Clinton was the "most qualified presidential candidate ever," because she had so much political experience. Outside of this career path, you pretty much have to either be a popular military general, or an independently wealthy businessman who can buy their way into office.

That's basically what Trump did. He financed his own entry into the primaries, and then leveraged his charisma into outmaneuvering Hillary Clinton and the entire Republican field politically. Obama was similarly a 1 in a million force of charisma who came out of left field to throw off the Clinton political machine in 2008. Typical American politicians don't have those kind of qualities, because they've been institutionally distanced from the lives and concerns of regular people by their professional commitment to politics, and their indoctrination by elite institutions. That makes them easy to be overtaken suddenly by outside figures, the same way the Soviet Union was taken over by Yeltsin.

But there's also a fourth type of politician embodied by Joe Kennedy, which are the aristocratic dynasts of the capital elite. They come from families with old money, and they've been going to all the elite schools since the day they could talk - and these elite schools are first and foremost institutions which inculcate the ideology of power and rule. That's also why Joe Kennedy is such a void of charisma and a repulsive ghoul, because they have absolutely nothing in common with the national electorate, except in the rich districts they represent. And Joe Kennedy represents one of the oldest and wealthiest districts in the country. They are first and foremost driven by class interests, and any pretense to noblesse oblige was wiped out by the triumph of Neoliberalism.

e: sorry for all the :words:, but a lot does have to be established to understand the historical process that causes a socially distant political class.

good job pener kropoopkin

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'll see your pasty NE virgin and raise you the absolute hunk Jeb Bush 2020.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hahah she got mad at the replies

https://twitter.com/JenAshleyWright/status/957747050329886720

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how many of the replies are "excited that you are endorsing jeb bush"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Frijolero posted:

I'll see your pasty NE virgin and raise you the absolute hunk Jeb Bush 2020.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

that 90% in your camp reminds me of the “Hillary’s platform is the most progressive of all time!!”. it misses the point in the exact same way.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bernie would have lost because..... he wouldn’t have won southern states??

https://twitter.com/jenashleywright/status/957747407982333953

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

the divine right of kennedys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doctors are dumb as poo poo.

• Locked thread