Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Please correct me if I’m wrong anyone (especially lawgoons) but it seems to me like discovery itself would be an annihilating fire that consumed what remains of Chris Roberts’ tarnished reputation and denied him safe harbor even in the “at least they tried” respite for posterity. Even assuming Roberts felt CIG might only be at risk of minor damages for contract breaches, that seems secondary to his potential reputational damage if things excavated via discovery entered the public record, for the reason recently mentioned by nnnotime:

The only likely 2 ways for discovery to happen is a) Crytek is not doing this for the money and is instead aiming to gently caress them, or b) CIG is in such a dire financial situation that that Crytek is unwilling to believe that they have so little money to offer in a settlement. I doubt any of them will happen, so just get ready for CIG to pony up an undisclosed amount of money (10m or so) to settle.

Yeah, yeah, it's grumpy cat, but hear me out, it's relevant:

https://www.techspot.com/news/72928-grumpy-cat-wins-over-700000-copyright-lawsuit.html

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

Discovery is "irrelevant" for similar reasons - Chris doesn't think he did anything wrong, and Ortwin won't be the guy directly responsible for the undead horde of financial skeletons discovery will reveal.

You don’t know how much I hope this is true. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and I’d like to see some crypts opened up, even if that means some vampires get vaporized by the golden rays of truth.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

In Actual Space Games You Can Play news, Helium Rain is on Steam Early Access for fifteen bucks and has some pretty rad space battles in skirmish mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDdDcimaqk

You can also build space stations and stuff in sandbox mode, here's a cool screenshot I took

Are there multi-player capital ships ala Allegiance? This is like my space wet dream.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The only thing funnier than both of those things is realizing that this is the company and engine Chris Roberts chose to work with lmao.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This disaster is headed for trial. Don't underestimate Ortwin's hubris.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
In case you just can't get enough Leonard French, he is doing the thing now:

https://www.twitch.tv/thebaseradio

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
I still believe the most likely option is CIG declaring bankruptcy soon after the MtD is denied. Simply because I cannot fathom that they will allow discovery to happen, and I don't think Crytek is doing this for money.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I still believe the most likely option is CIG declaring bankruptcy soon after the MtD is denied. Simply because I cannot fathom that they will allow discovery to happen, and I don't think Crytek is doing this for money.

CIG will allow it to happen if everyone involved has deluded themselves as thoroughly as they've deluded backers. I refer you to a recent court case when a certain backer, caught in one of the most horrific crimes imaginable, practically went with the Costanza defense of "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?"

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I refer you to a recent court case when a certain backer, caught in one of the most horrific crimes imaginable, practically went with the Costanza defense of "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?"

I missed this and I don't want to miss a thing. :allears:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

The only likely 2 ways for discovery to happen is

a) Crytek is not doing this for the money and is instead aiming to gently caress them, or

b) CIG is in such a dire financial situation that that Crytek is unwilling to believe that they have so little money to offer in a settlement.

I doubt any of them will happen, so just get ready for CIG to pony up an undisclosed amount of money (10m or so) to settle.

This remains the big unknown to me. I assume CIG would have motive to settle and an urgent desire to close this chapter, as each month it drags on harms them and undermines their ability to keep selling the future dream.

But what really does Crytek want? What is their real goal here?

I know Derek says “it’s personal” and I’d not discount the possibility that they really might want to force Chris to endure the full burn of discovery and a possibly protracted trial that becomes the all consuming PR narrative of Star Citizen for 2018. That’s easier to do if you’re not looking for cash. The rumors of them securing big funding don’t seem especially well sourced yet neither is it easily to believe the “Crytek is penniless and this is a last ditch effort at squeezing money out of someone else.” Why would a prestigious firm like Skadden bother?

It may be that Crytek’s true motives are known only to themselves and counsel. It seems to me from a distance that if they want to make Roberts life miserable more than they want to squeeze some money out of him, they’re in the position to do so if the MTD fails.

So what do they really want? :iiam: to me.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Visions fill the head of Ortwin, Chris, and Sandi hauling giants bags marked $$$ from the secret room at CIG LA to the armored car they jointly own in the days before the MTD ruling. Then they spend the timing remaining in front of mirrors, rehearsing the old “pull out your empty pockets, stick your bottom lip out in a hangdog frown as your shoulders slump defeated” gesture before their mirrors.

“Waaaaah? Where did it — I mean I thought for sure — I don’t even know whaaahappened? I thought we had some left but it’s all gone! Oooh mannnn.”

Oh well. At least we tried.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 28, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SoftNum posted:

I missed this and I don't want to miss a thing. :allears:

You want to miss this, trust me

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Has anyone said Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione yet?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

This remains the big unknown to me. I assume CIG would have motive to settle and an urgent desire to close this chapter, as each month it drags on harms them and undermines their ability to keep selling the future dream.

But what really does Crytek want? What is their real goal here?

I know Derek says “it’s personal” and I’d not discount the possibility that they really might want to force Chris to endure the full burn of discovery and a possibly protracted trial that becomes the all consuming PR narrative of Star Citizen for 2018. That’s easier to do if you’re not looking for cash. The rumors of them securing big funding don’t seem especially well sourced yet neither is it easily to believe the “Crytek is penniless and this is a last ditch effort at squeezing money out of someone else.” Why would a prestigious firm like Skadden bother?

It may be that Crytek’s true motives are known only to themselves and counsel. It seems to me from a distance that if they want to make Roberts life miserable more than they want to squeeze some money out of him, they’re in the position to do so if the MTD fails.

So what do they really want? :iiam: to me.

Does taking on CIG really look like an easy payday? How many years has Chris been loving over everyone he's worked with? And where would Chris be right now if Crytek hadn't basically dressed him up, brought him to the track, and run the first few laps for him? With Chris spending money like it's water nobody in the industry assumes he's got tons stashed away, particularly with how aggressive the ongoing sales pushes are. There will not be a settlement. Crytek is aiming to disrupt.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

kw0134 posted:

The preliminary injunction will certainly be denied. There's no irreparable harm that cannot be remedied by a liquidated judgment (i.e., cash money) at the end if Crytek prevails.

Yeah, except for the fact that CIG continues to show CryEngine source code on BugSmashers, the show where beyond incriminating themselves, they also show irrefutable proof of their incompetence, in code.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess a Diff of the last build of the CryEngine as provided by CryTek against the current build of Star Citizen should show what's "original CIG Code".

Doesn't really matter imo, since CryTek is entitled to it as bug fixes and enhancements as a part of their GLA. So showing it to the public still violates the licensing agreement which, above all else, is designed to protect proprietary intellectual property.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
But I'm not a lawyer, so who the gently caress knows.

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

Preen Dog posted:

The theorycrafters are right. It is lazy.

What happens if your car gets stolen, lost or destroyed repeatedly in real life? Your premiums and deductibles go way up. Some people pay so much it's like buying multiple new cars per year.

If your ship is lost often in the game, your deductible should keep going up until it's nearly the full price of the ship. Conversely, a thief can only sell the ship for 25% of it's value. Insurance fraud would not be profitable, long term, but theft would still be somewhat lucrative. Solved.

The warlords will be totally cool with paying huge deductibles on their ganked Javelins.
Even if they add the increasing insurance stuff, it's all useless because of other flaws they likely can never fix.

CIG's big problem is that if there is ANY bug, glitch, or exploit that can cause a player to lose a $1500 ship (for example, another player glitches through the windshield and steals it) it motivates a desperate email to support staff. (cost of support per active player goes through the roof, or support ignores it and it turns into a reddit stink when news outlets eventually get involved over the ridiculousness of the whole situation)

The anger over an unfair loss will be proportional to the insurance costs.

Given the implausible prospect of a rock solid bug free PU *ever* appearing (5+ years in and you're practically guaranteed to lose your ship in a random explosion within an hour of gameplay), the "release" version will have to work much like the current PTU:

1. Claims are free or near free (making all those tricks and extra cash to get LTI useless)

2. Guns/missiles/addons are included in the claim, and maybe even cargo

3. Stolen ships always have to despawn to avoid free ships for all which would kill sales

4. Armour/guns on your character also can't be looted or lost when you die

5. Claim timing is always generous and will never take too long no matter how many claims (hours, not weeks)

So far they are laying the groundwork for 3, but I expect to see the others happen as well, if they get that far.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

You want to miss this, trust me

Listen to this person.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beexoffel posted:

Next up, they'll ask Citizens to pay for travel and Chris will visit them at home. Preference goes to Citizens living near the Mediterranean.

Sounds like Ben's next series.

We'll call it Couch Crashers.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

That’s probably why Skadden took the case.

Imagine having a library of videos that can be used in a court of law where it’s not a “he said she said” thing but rather a “here’s you literally saying this, let’s play the video!” type of environment.

I can’t imagine the trial will be anything but a slaughter of CIG unless they can get it taken out by some technicality or tiny caveat.

I guess…

…but that still means that Skadden forced some poor associate or intern to watch all of that. That makes them just as evil and guilty of warcrimes against humanity and minors as Crytek. Bastards!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

happyhippy posted:

I hope CIG has been the last few weeks replacing Crytek comments in the code with random 'Made by Chris' dates on them.

Me too, since that would be even more incriminating. All you'd have to do is set into a commit any time in the past to prove they were in breach of contract, and the fact that they've suddenly scrambled to comply with the GLA is an admission of guilt.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

Me too, since that would be even more incriminating. All you'd have to do is set into a commit any time in the past to prove they were in breach of contract, and the fact that they've suddenly scrambled to comply with the GLA is an admission of guilt.

Whoops! We lost all our source code. Well everyone just check in what you have today, that will be our new baseline! These things happen.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wait so you can't just throw the engine code onto some cinderblocks and run it in reverse?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

I guess…

…but that still means that Skadden forced some poor associate or intern to watch all of that. That makes them just as evil and guilty of warcrimes against humanity and minors as Crytek. Bastards!

They'll probably buy the rights to use Mirificus tech to do so

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Watching all this poo poo with CIG is like watching the helicopter footage of a police chase. You know it's a foregone conclusion, but it's not only impossible to tell how the chase will end, but it's impossible to tell moment to moment what will happen. Will the criminal get on the highway? Off? Will he speed through a school zone? Will he stop the car and run on foot through an abandoned building?

No idea moment to moment, so you sit transfixed at the spectacle. Oh, it will end. You already know how it will end. Maybe not exactly though - a bullet to the head? A suicide? Gunned down by cops? Arrested successfully? Car going off a cliff?

When they march Chris Roberts into the courtroom I want the Bad Boys song playing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

Does taking on CIG really look like an easy payday? How many years has Chris been loving over everyone he's worked with? And where would Chris be right now if Crytek hadn't basically dressed him up, brought him to the track, and run the first few laps for him? With Chris spending money like it's water nobody in the industry assumes he's got tons stashed away, particularly with how aggressive the ongoing sales pushes are. There will not be a settlement. Crytek is aiming to disrupt.

I'd suspect the only wise settlement for Crytek would be bulk cash payout. Not shares of the company, or percentage of sales. How could you have faith in CIG not attempting to continue with shenanigans, or outright fail as a company. That makes the question be: Could CIG afford a bulk payout that Crytek would be happy with?

Outside of that, Crytek is likely going for wrecking crew, and looting whatever it can from the shambling corpse.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Serious men sitting around a table discussing imaginary spaceships and the legal implications thereof.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I like disappearing ships better than actual theft of ships. Imagine grabbing the wheel of some commando's chariot, having him FPS sprinting up to the cockpit from the gravity room, then logging off and the ship despawns, insta-podding him. Or, more likely, lawsuitELE. Can't stop us from winning.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I can't stop pronouncing the Pace in the thread title like "requiescat in pace" help

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

I'd suspect the only wise settlement for Crytek would be bulk cash payout. Not shares of the company, or percentage of sales. How could you have faith in CIG not attempting to continue with shenanigans, or outright fail as a company. That makes the question be: Could CIG afford a bulk payout that Crytek would be happy with?

Outside of that, Crytek is likely going for wrecking crew, and looting whatever it can from the shambling corpse.

There's no game, no idea for a game, and no tech progress in years. Just more fake demos to keep bringing in money. Crytek is better positioned than most to see through the smoke and mirrors and know exactly how their engine is being used to create the illusion of a space game. They know that CIG has nothing of lasting value - if they don't take what they're owed soon, it will be too late to take anything.

The funniest part of all this to me is that CIG is still taking money, acting as if they're still developing a game, and as if they've been making progress. Hundreds of completely faked videos and demos that, even if they were real, show complete and utter poo poo - poo poo any self-respecting game developer would be embarrassed to admit they had a hand in. The kind of execrable garbage that would compel a fruit fly who landed in it to explain himself.

Keep doing what you're doing, CIG - taking money every day to do literally gently caress-all is a great look for you and your employees.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Bootcha...when's the next vid? :( I now need it as badly as this otter needs this arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WH0ZxvF9Nw

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I’m not disputing this. I understand Chris’s motives and personality pretty well at this point, as do many of us here through “immersion”, through familiarity with his type, some through personal experience.

I know very little of Yerli beyond what Google serves up. Even so, he seems on enigmatic and mercurial, a much harder read than Roberts, who quickly confirms to expectations of type and rarely defies them, except when owning himself in some way so much more epic than you previously thought possible that you realize “I have to stop underestimating this guy.”

Anyway, I’m not arguing — he’s just still a mystery to me .

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

I’m not disputing this. I understand Chris’s motives and personality pretty well at this point, as do many of us here through “immersion”, through familiarity with his type, some through personal experience.

I know very little of Yerli beyond what Google serves up. Even so, he seems on enigmatic and mercurial, a much harder read than Roberts, who quickly confirms to expectations of type and rarely defies them, except when owning himself in some way so much more epic than you previously thought possible that you realize “I have to stop underestimating this guy.”

Anyway, I’m not arguing — he’s just still a mystery to me .

He's like the old gypsy woman in Drag Me to Hell.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

CrazyLoon posted:

Bootcha...when's the next vid? :( I now need it as badly as this otter needs this arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WH0ZxvF9Nw

My arm needs that otter as badly you need Bootcha's next vid :kimchi:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

G0RF posted:

Visions fill the head of Ortwin, Chris, and Sandi hauling giants bags marked $$$ from the secret room at CIG LA to the armored car they jointly own in the days before the MTD ruling. Then they spend the timing remaining in front of mirrors, rehearsing the old “pull out your empty pockets, stick your bottom lip out in a hangdog frown as your shoulders slump defeated” gesture before their mirrors.

That won't happen. Two of them don't reflect in mirrors.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am just waiting for the judge to rip off his latex mask to reveal Derek, who was calling it all along.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

G0RF posted:

Kotaku UK’s journalistic ‘discovery’ destroyed the false narrative propping up a Star Marine fiction and had Roberts looking flustered, foolish and more than a little fraudulent as it also put his past record of backer guidance into the harshest light possible. The same is true of Derek forcing Roberts public acknowledgement of his formerly hidden marriage to Sandi, a lie that told via constant acts of omission and one employees were coerced to support that looked sleazy, suspicious and ridiculous after exposure.

What happened here exactly?

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 29, 2018

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Whoops! We lost all our source code. Well everyone just check in what you have today, that will be our new baseline! These things happen.

You say this as if CIG is competent enough to know all the different repos, hard drives, and cloud servers their source is currently residing on :)

What I fully expect (and I have seen first-hand) is that, upon entering discovery, all relevant computers, laptops, and servers are physically confiscated. All cloud-based source-control repos are frozen, with credentials given to the proper authorities. If they really enter discovery, I would expect this to bring CIG's development to a complete stand-still. The funny thing is, this stand-still will be completely imperceptible, because CIG has no feature velocity in the first place.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

You say this as if CIG is competent enough to know all the different repos, hard drives, and cloud servers their source is currently residing on :)

What I fully expect (and I have seen first-hand) is that, upon entering discovery, all relevant computers, laptops, and servers are physically confiscated. All cloud-based source-control repos are frozen, with credentials given to the proper authorities. If they really enter discovery, I would expect this to bring CIG's development to a complete stand-still. The funny thing is, this stand-still will be completely imperceptible, because CIG has no feature velocity in the first place.

They don't develop anything anyway aside from ship art, and the occasional tweak to the camera movement in the model viewer they're calling the PU. I think they'll be able to keep selling ships just fine without computers on which to build them. Particularly since backers have proven beyond reasonable doubt that they'll buy anything on the website as long as it has a price tag, which let's face it, everything at CIG does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I know there's a lot going on right now but I have an important question: does anyone know the development status of spaceship parking sensor modules?