Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has a BLM cleared ultimate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Has a BLM cleared ultimate?

Yes groups have cleared ultimate with BLMs. Though looking at the top 50 clears on fflogs there is a grand total of 1 BLM, so it isn't exactly well represented.

Looking at the top 50 clears on fflogs: (Job(% appearance in 50 clears)
Tanks: PLD(100%), WAR(76%), & DRK (24%)
Healers: SCH(100%), WHM(82%), & AST(18%)
Melee: NIN(98%), DRG(86%), MNK(10%), & SAM(4%)
Ranged: BRD(66%) & MCH(46%)
Casters: SMN(84%), RDM(4%), & BLM(2%)

Obvious caveats, data is self-reported and weighted towards faster clear times.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I mainly play BLM for exdr. The dungeons usually don't throw too much rear end in a top hat moves your way and because four player content is paced right for it. I don't mind doing Deltascape normal as BLM but the only one I really enjoy is O4 because it's pretty easy to anticipate everything. I'll never do Alliance raids on a BLM. They're not really suited for multiple fouls and flares, and you're chipping away at the boss' health. I usually run them with a MCH whether it's alliance roulette or Rabanastre. Simple yet effective enough that I can be lazy and still feel like I'm contributing, and being able to move around while attacking means I can do mechanics that can wipe the raid. I thought RDM would fill this slot naturally but it feels a lot less satisfying without your full kit for the alliance roulette and I don't like having to clean up after mistakes.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
There is no denying that blm is probably one of worst choices to bring to a savage fight - it’s one of the reasons I don’t main it, since my static is semi-serious about optimization and dragoon is too loving good - but I think people overstate it’s inability to do mechanics or that it requires your party to baby you. You have to think a bit harder than bard for example about your positioning but that is just part of the class. It’s fine if that’s not your play style but it’s like saying machinist is poo poo because you don’t like wildfire despite it being one if the best jobs in the game right now. It’s disingenuous at best.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Shere posted:

The proposed 4.2 rotation is binding one big red button to Fell Cleave and smashing your face into it as often as possible.

And the last finger on the monkey's paw closes.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Sarrisan posted:

it’s like saying machinist is poo poo because you don’t like wildfire despite it being one if the best jobs in the game right now. It’s disingenuous at best.
do you even read this thread

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

It’s fine if that’s not your play style but it’s like saying machinist is poo poo because you don’t like wildfire despite it being one if the best jobs in the game right now. It’s disingenuous at best.
There's a difference between numerically bad - which no class really is right now, except maybe RDM - and annoying and unfun to play. :ssh:

I don't blame you for mistaking the two complaints, since even the developers seem to do so. Which is why MCH is still loving obnoxious to play.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Given how many fights in this game have a boss go "That's bullshit, why are you still alive" after hitting you with attacks that should logically kill a normal person several times over, I have to wonder if the canon Warrior of Light is Hildibrand.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sarrisan posted:

It’s fine if that’s not your play style but it’s like saying machinist is poo poo because you don’t like wildfire despite it being one if the best jobs in the game right now. It’s disingenuous at best.

It's not really the same because MCH can handle movement and if you can get through how the class plays, you can adjust Wildfires (which is all that really matters).

Like, I won't stand the chance of losing something like Hot Shot just because I had to move to avoid an AOE or three when I needed to get off one more attack with a cast time (while doing absolutely 0 damage in the process of moving).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Still doing MSQs from ARR at a glacial pace:

- The sylph situation in Gridania: That was a nice change of pace from the Ul'dah missing persons case. I get the feeling I'll still have to fight Ramuh sooner than later, but for now I enjoyed befriending the sylphs.
- Ala-Mhigans: I just rescued this injured guy who ran off to die so his friends wouldn't have to treat him. Someone please tell me they get better.

Also I tried out Rogue for a bit and boy it's kinda fun. I'm still thinking of a melee DPS to main, but my experience is very good so far. (although I've always wanted to be a Dragoon in earlier FFs)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
4.1 spoilers:

So after it clicked that Lyse wasn't actually immune to primal influence, the next thought was 'wait, the Scions let her help fight Primals all this time?' Granted she never actually does fight one since Warrior of Light handles everything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I get the feeling I'll still have to fight Ramuh sooner than later

Nah, he's later. Much later.

Schneider Heim posted:

I just rescued this injured guy who ran off to die so his friends wouldn't have to treat him. Someone please tell me they get better.

He gets better. :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

4.1 spoilers:

So after it clicked that Lyse wasn't actually immune to primal influence, the next thought was 'wait, the Scions let her help fight Primals all this time?' Granted she never actually does fight one since Warrior of Light handles everything.

Paplymo probably would’ve knocked her out of range if push came to shove

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Did Yda have the echo?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Incidentally, I actually can't recall but is it ever properly stated that Alphinaud/Alisaie have the Echo/immunity to Primals? I know Alphinaud joined the Scions way back but thought that was kind of a formality.

Thinking back it makes sense that they are immune, since the whole Alisaie and the Coil, but it's weird that this is the first MSQ content where it's actually an important power that they have.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did Yda have the echo?

She was an actual part of the Scions, so she had the immunity probably.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

4.1 spoilers:

The majority of the Scions never actually fight primals. The reason they're so eager to recruit you in the first place is because you're the vanishingly rare combination of someone who possess both the Echo and a taste for combat. The past methods of defeating Primals otherwise tend to involve sending in human wave attacks until the primal's too overwhelmed to temper them all, then killing anyone who does get tempered after.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Incidentally, I actually can't recall but is it ever properly stated that Alphinaud/Alisaie have the Echo/immunity to Primals? I know Alphinaud joined the Scions way back but thought that was kind of a formality.

Thinking back it makes sense that they are immune, since the whole Alisaie and the Coil, but it's weird that this is the first MSQ content where it's actually an important power that they have.

Tempering only seems to be possible at relatively close range. Bahamut was far enough away (and too immobile) to try and temper them.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 29, 2018

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ApplesandOranges posted:

I believe only the WoL, Minfilia and Krile are said to have the echo.
No one else is stated to. (that I can remember)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

4.0 Alisaie takes off with Lyse just before you fight snakemom in the MSQ

The twins are there because the scions need their cash

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Incidentally, I actually can't recall but is it ever properly stated that Alphinaud/Alisaie have the Echo/immunity to Primals?

Judging by what happens when Ms. Sandman comes to town, they do not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The main thing would be that tempering, if the 4.0 quest can be believed, is an actual thing the primal has to do, not just some ambient power. Presumably Cid, for instance, would be reasonably safe if he was giving you air support in the Enterprise-D.

So who all does have the echo anyway, other than the WoL, Krile, Minfilia and Arenvald?

4.2 speculation: Does Yotsuyu have the Echo or is that just the flashback? It would actually be a reason for her to keep floating around, given how rare it seems to be.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

So who all does have the echo anyway, other than the WoL, Krile, Minfilia and Arenvald?

Just them and Fordola. It's why the Garleans are so eager to try and unlock it.

With regards to 4.2, I doubt it. There's nothing that's indicated she has it before (the flashback is you having it from the memories of the dude you meet), and I feel it'd be a little too on-the-nose to give both of your main female villains with possible redemption stories in the books the same mystical superpower.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 29, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like the idea of Arenvald being one of the Important Echo People but not being nearly as competent as the other people. There's lots of potential for him to grow as a character from there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

The main thing would be that tempering, if the 4.0 quest can be believed, is an actual thing the primal has to do, not just some ambient power. Presumably Cid, for instance, would be reasonably safe if he was giving you air support in the Enterprise-D.

Unless this is has changed already Ramuh states otherwise. Even though he's peaceful and can coexist with others, his mere presence tempers the Sylphs. That said, they play it fast and loose with that, so it's hard to say for sure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vermain posted:

The majority of the Scions never actually fight primals. The reason they're so eager to recruit you in the first place is because you're the vanishingly rare combination of someone who possess both the Echo and a taste for combat. The past methods of defeating Primals otherwise tend to involve sending in human wave attacks until the primal's too overwhelmed to temper them all, then killing anyone who does get tempered after.

Ah, the Zapp Brannigan approach.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Unless this is has changed already Ramuh states otherwise. Even though he's peaceful and can coexist with others, his mere presence tempers the Sylphs. That said, they play it fast and loose with that, so it's hard to say for sure.
True. Could vary from primal to primal, could be a thing that's unlikely to happen with brief exposure, could be the beast tribes being inclined towards their gods already, could be all of them! Or it could be that they're playing dramatically loose and fast with the concept for a cool story, but what are the odds of that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think Shiva has any thralls despite being a leader of some actual people, but she's a bit of a more unique situation.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That its played completely straight adds to the horror of it. :stare:

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think Shiva has any thralls despite being a leader of some actual people, but she's a bit of a more unique situation.

Yeah. Wearing Shiva's idea like a scarf is probably closer to a summoner invoking Teraflare or Dreadwyrm trance. "Invoker", someone who wears a egi over themselves instead of a full summon, is something I'd love to see (and give some of the other primals a chance to be egi'd too) but doubt we'll get.

I figure tempering depends on the primal but ultimately is a aura they cannot completely suppress. Summons are godlike things. Awesome images in the classical usage of the word. Beholding them would probably be traumatic by itself, nevermind the risk of the tempering.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like the idea of Arenvald being one of the Important Echo People but not being nearly as competent as the other people. There's lots of potential for him to grow as a character from there.

I kind of like him as a character too, and I'm glad that they have played Arenvold straight so far and he didn't turn out to be a traitor like I felt them might have done. But he's still no Hoary Boulder.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Thundarr posted:

I kind of like him as a character too, and I'm glad that they have played Arenvold straight so far and he didn't turn out to be a traitor like I felt them might have done. But he's still no Hoary Boulder.

I hope the next expansion has Arenvold join us on our Garlean road trip. Fighting beside the WoL will turn him into Hoary Boulder v2

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I laughed, but it's true.

Edit: Actually I laughed because it's true.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like they're pointing to the story nudging ArenvaldxFordola personally, which might be... interesting.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

The reason they're so eager to recruit you in the first place is because you're the vanishingly rare combination of someone who possess both the Echo and a taste for combat.

More like possesses both the Echo and punches well above their weight by kicking a disproportionate amount of rear end. We're only going in with the eight instead of an entire army, after all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Elentor posted:

I laughed, but it's true.

Edit: Actually I laughed because it's true.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've mained BLM ever since I started playing in 2.55 and I've cleared O4S with it with some pretty good FFLogs parses but I don't have any savage experience on RDM or SMN so I can't really compare. But I will say that stuff like Grand Cross Alpha is immensely aggravating because of how much motion it forces you into.

(On the other hand, cheesing Grand Cross Delta's knockback by BtLing to your Ley Lines is incredibly satisfying.)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

4.0 Alisaie takes off with Lyse just before you fight snakemom in the MSQ

The twins are there because the scions need their cash

This does explain how Alphy could afford art school/lessons.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So, where are you kids logging off before maintenance? What's first on your list come patch day?

I've signed out at the inn because I have a lot of glamour work to do first and foremost. I'd also really like to try Sigmascape totally fresh Tuesday night and die with everyone to the Phantom Train. :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some people are telling me we're going to have a 24 hour maintenance. Is this confirmed?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some people are telling me we're going to have a 24 hour maintenance. Is this confirmed?

Yes, and it starts in a few hours.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I always do the MSQ first, and considering the primal is gated by it this time, I think a lot of people will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leofish posted:

So, where are you kids logging off before maintenance? What's first on your list come patch day?

Dissida NT, and then Opera Mania a few days after.

Stormblood is going on the backburner.