Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bluff Buster posted:

So apparently the expansion is going to adjust the starting positions so that each major civ have more distance between them, with city states occupying the space between major civs. I'd like to make some other suggestions, such as a minimum amount of land and a guaranteed luxury nearby:

that's the worst start i've ever seen in any civ. impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As good as this one:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's hilarious.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I would be up for this, but being in the UK, I suspect the timing will end up being awkward for me

Excellent. I'm currently visiting my hometown so I can't coordinate anything but once I go back to Lima I'll create a table or something so we can organize a proper Civ session.

Edit: those starting points were fantastic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bluff Buster posted:

So apparently the expansion is going to adjust the starting positions so that each major civ have more distance between them, with city states occupying the space between major civs. I'd like to make some other suggestions, such as a minimum amount of land and a guaranteed luxury nearby:

You may think that there must be land beyond that starting mountain, but ...

Oh, and if you were thinking that I could just rush Shipbuilding to get to the nearby mainland,

Cartography takes about 92 turns to research at this point, by the way.

What happens if you build a second warrior in that city?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What happens if you build a second warrior in that city?

I imagine you wouldn't be able to end turn until you delete one of them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Not to sound like a jerk, but any word on if the expansion is going to come with an AI?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Beamed posted:

Not to sound like a jerk, but any word on if the expansion is going to come with an AI?

<sarcasm>
The game already comes with a well-designed case of "All-natural Insanity" when it comes to the decisions of the other Civs.
</sarcasm>

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Beamed posted:

It has been confirmed not to by preview players on youtube.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

It has been confirmed not to by preview players on youtube.

yeah, when i was watching quill18's preview run as the netherlands there was a part where india was a turn away from finishing off his capital and then suddenly decided to peace out, even throwing in some gpt and some luxuries. it was cartoonishly bad

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

:smith: That really blows, at least for me Civ has never lent itself well to just being a sandbox. Oh well, I'll probably grab the expack on sale and play MP with it a couple times later.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, when i was watching quill18's preview run as the netherlands there was a part where india was a turn away from finishing off his capital and then suddenly decided to peace out, even throwing in some gpt and some luxuries. it was cartoonishly bad

That's actually the AI being really smart and avoiding the warmonger penalty and perma-hate from the other players due to taking another civilization's cities! :downs:

The AI played the war game the correct way all along.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
All these casus bellis and warmonger points dont interact with any game systems aside AI diplomacy?

I don't really like civs having bonuses that don't apply at all in multiplayer...

It would be interesting if these things existed at all in MP. I.e having a proper casus belli reducing war weariness, and high warmonger score giving a non-GG GPP penalty.

Mata fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 29, 2018

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Mata posted:

proper casus belli reducing war weariness,

This is in fact how it works.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

markus_cz posted:

This is in fact how it works.

It doesn't. War weariness is how your people are affected by war. Casus Belli only reduces how other civs view your war.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

It does.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/War_weariness_(Civ6)
"All war weariness you accumulate is increased if you declared war without using a Casus Belli."

https://civ6.gamepedia.com/War_weariness
"The type of war you fight. Fighting a war through a Casus Belli or a Holy War will cause you to gain weariness slower than declaring a Surprise War."

I'm also quite sure I've read it in a manual or Civilipedia but can't find it now.

In one of my PBEM games, I was Gandhi and two opponents declared a suprise war on me without a proper casus belli. They were wracked by war weariness.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

markus_cz posted:

It does.

"All war weariness you accumulate is increased if you declared war without using a Casus Belli."

"The type of war you fight. Fighting a war through a Casus Belli or a Holy War will cause you to gain weariness slower than declaring a Surprise War."

I'm also quite sure I've read it in a manual or Civilipedia but can't find it now.

In one of my PBEM games, I was Gandhi and two opponents declared a suprise war on me without a proper casus belli. They were wracked by war weariness.

Nice to know CB does do something. I really wish the UI would explain how much war weariness you have and why, instead of just subtracting amenities.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nice to know CB does do something. I really wish the UI would explain how much war weariness you have and why, instead of just subtracting amenities.

I read somewhere that even if you're at war, if you go a turn without battling you will decrease your war weariness. But if your troops are defending from attacks it still increases a bit. I don't know if multiple battles per turn increase it faster.

I say I read it 'somewhere' because I certainly didn't get that information from the game itself and resorted to looking up rando internet comments to learn how to play. Which loving sucks.

I propose a really giant, stupid looking cartoonish circular gauge in the corner of the screen when you're at war. When the dial is turned all the way down, your people are feeling righteous about war and you have no weariness. Every time you do something to increase war weariness, it moves clockwise a bit until you're all the way to the right which means your people are revolting against the war.

It's dumb but gently caress me is it better than getting nothing at all.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I propose a really giant, stupid looking cartoonish circular gauge in the corner of the screen when you're at war. When the dial is turned all the way down, your people are feeling righteous about war and you have no weariness. Every time you do something to increase war weariness, it moves clockwise a bit until you're all the way to the right which means your people are revolting against the war.

No. I like it. I don't think it's dumb at all. Even just a non-intrusive bar anywhere, or a value on the top panel would be great. War weariness is a global and constant variable for your empire. It should be available at all times just like culture and gold output.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Going to war should create a new UI element that does a bunch of things:

• Shows your war weariness over time
  • Displays the CB, if any
  • Shows warmonger penalties accumulating - even just a rough estimation
  • Shows your losses and enemy losses to provide a rough war score - you can get this later on in wars by seeing what your opponent would settle for in peace talks, but this would spare you going in and asking them to "make this deal fair" each turn
  • Add a layer to the map showing the effect radii of your great generals
  • Add a layer to the map showing what tiles you can hit when you select a ranged unit and what tiles can be attacked by a melee unit. If you select a unit and hover over a new tile it will show what you could hit from that tile.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I read somewhere that even if you're at war, if you go a turn without battling you will decrease your war weariness. But if your troops are defending from attacks it still increases a bit. I don't know if multiple battles per turn increase it faster.

I say I read it 'somewhere' because I certainly didn't get that information from the game itself and resorted to looking up rando internet comments to learn how to play. Which loving sucks.

I think it's a great idea. It might nudge you to try to take a city before you're 100% ready, to buoy morale that would otherwise drop to a lower level with delay or defeat.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think it's also really important when weighing the pros of a peace treaty. Sure, you're winning the war and grinding their troops down and pillaging their poo poo, but you're also losing some troops. If I had an indicator showing me that my population is sick of this war and that I can gain +4 amenities per city by declaring a peace treaty, that's a MUCH bigger incentive than 5 GPT and some lovely luxury.

Alternately, if I know my population is backing the war and isn't weary at all, I'm going to keep grinding my opponent down and potentially make some big gains.

There have been plenty of times where I have restrained from war against a small neighbor opponent due to the uncertainty of war weariness. I could potentially lose 30% production and growth across my civ with weariness, which puts me at a huge disadvantage to the larger more threatening opponents. And right now I can't make an informed decision on whether that small neighbor target is worth conquering, even with a CB, because the game doesn't loving want you to know how war weariness works (or possibly because the weariness system is borked as gently caress and the developers are ashamed to share how it works with players).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What's really stupid is that there are also government cards the reduce war weariness, but no way to measure if they are working.

If I were emperor, I would not accept my advisers providing me with no evidence of whether or not my mandate is showing results. :colbert:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And right now I can't make an informed decision on whether that small neighbor target is worth conquering, even with a CB, because the game doesn't loving want you to know how war weariness works (or possibly because the weariness system is borked as gently caress and the developers are ashamed to share how it works with players).

They don't know that it's broken.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

If I were emperor, I would not accept my advisers providing me with no evidence of whether or not my mandate is showing results. :colbert:

'sir, we've reduced war weariness by 25%!'
Ok what was it at before
'i don't know'
What is it at now
'beats me'
Did we reduce current overall weariness or did we reduce the amount weariness increases over time?
'well poo poo man'
Ok enjoy your vacation on the front lines

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
New civ teaser.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/957991811011592192

Almost definitely the Mapuche; that last thing is the face of a type of statue they built apparently. Looks like that leak was right.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Sorry man, looks like it was either the World Cup or this.

Also laffo.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

markus_cz posted:

It does.

If anyone's interested in the gritty details, there's a big post about it full of numbers here. Basically if a CB reduces your war weariness by a %, then that same % is applied to all instances of you gaining war weariness from combat. War weariness seems to only increase when you engage in combat (with non-barbarian units) and launch nukes. Surprise Wars generate quite a bit more war weariness than other wars. You also get more war weariness when your units die (on top of the normal amount from combat).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

New civ teaser.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/957991811011592192

Almost definitely the Mapuche; that last thing is the face of a type of statue they built apparently. Looks like that leak was right.

Seems like so, though that sword doesn't look too Mapuchey. Something about Spanish colonization, maybe?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

Seems like so, though that sword doesn't look too Mapuchey. Something about Spanish colonization, maybe?

Lautaro led the indigenous resistance against the Spanish. The sword looks like Philip's.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Lautaro led the indigenous resistance against the Spanish. The sword looks like Philip's.

While I do love Firaxis' cartoony/flamboyant rendition of Phillip the fact the he's constantly swinging that sword around never fails to crack me up, considering the real Phillip II was basically a pencil pusher.

I'm guessing they based the model on the portrait made by Titian when he was still a prince but still...

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo the Mapuche??? Gotta call my best friend right now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

turboraton posted:

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Adnor posted:

Holy poo poo the Mapuche??? Gotta call my best friend right now.

Ahahaha, those are some very different reactions there.

I assume the Incas will return eventually, turbo, so I wouldn't worry too much there.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Inca suck, and will never be in the Civ series again, and the Mapuche will reign forever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I hope they get the Nazca or Muisca on the next expansion pack just out of spite. :)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Somehow I am not hyped about this expansion, it doesn't seem to address the basic problem of the game. Which I can't even put my finger on, I just feel something's missing compared to Civ5 and can't even say what.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tahirovic posted:

Somehow I am not hyped about this expansion, it doesn't seem to address the basic problem of the game. Which I can't even put my finger on, I just feel something's missing compared to Civ5 and can't even say what.

The Inca.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Since an expansion is on the way, anyone fancy starting a new thread for it? I won't even be getting the expansion for a while so I'm probably not the best person for the job :shobon:

Also it's time for a new thread title, ideas plz

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Civilization VI: Watch enthusiasm Rise & Fall :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!