Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cheese-cube posted:

Any idea on which Lockheed product? I'm guessing one of their radar products for the market not already cornered by Raytheon or some fire control system.

Edit: ALQ-157 maybe?

Evidence says it’s a P-3, but I cannot confirm.

Wasabi the J posted:

IME those wires are labeled

Ya, there’s individual roll-marks on the wire lengthways every so often. The problem crops up when some dickhead fixes something with a splice, reassembles the harness/cannonplug/bundle, and doesn’t roll-mark the loving wire.

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always thought it would be cool to make a house or office on top of those huge concrete silos.

This is an abandoned concrete silo a couple of hours from where I live. You can obviously build on top of them, I'm surprised more people don't.

I know this is from pages back, but a local construction company actually renovated old concrete silos into living/office space: Covington Towers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Evidence says it’s a P-3, but I cannot confirm.

Lmao nah yeah that would make sense, they crammed a fuckton inside that airframe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The Zeros in that scene didn't serve in the war- but that wasn't their first flight or dogfight against US aircraft- they were originally built and flown in Tora Tora Tora.

Well, they weren't really Zeros in either film, they're modified T-6s. There are very few flying Zeros, and I think only a single one that has the original Japanese engine in it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We use lapp ölflex for almost all of our out-of-cabinet cabling and it is awesome, each wire is individually numbered along it's entire length inside the sheath.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got a nasty email from olflex once for asking what product I could use to recolour the exterior sheathing of their coiled cable. Turns out they really don't want us to spray one cable another colour to prevent our idiots mixing two cable sets up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PopeCrunch posted:

Sure, but the vast majority of circuits you'll encounter on a 110v line are 10 amp - still enough to kill you fifty times over in ideal circumstances, sure, but there's a few moments where rescue is possible. If you're dealing with 3ø circuits, the available amperage - and amps are what kills you - range from what, 20? to well into "well, at least nobody had to splash out for cremation" territory.

Most 3-phase outlets in europe are usually 16A, as with 400V you get by on a lower amperage, lower volts require higher amperage for the same amount of work, or something like that.

The fuses for this 4kw 3phase motor I got are set to 9 amps or so, meanwhile I think a smaller (<1kw) single phase motor draws like 10 amps or more from a 120V outlet based on videos I've seen from north america involving motor current draw.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
In our short-sightedness, we destroyed most of the 0s that were left over when we beat Japan, not realizing we would need them for movies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The size of overcurrent protection on a circuit has absolutely no bearing on the electrical shock hazard.

Broadly speaking there are three distinct hazards of electricity which are each mitigated in seperate ways:

1: Electrical Shock

You touch an energized conductor. You become a parallel leg of the circuit and current flows over and through you to the ground in accordance with the laws of circuit analysis.

Worse possibility: You touch two energized conductors on different phases, or an energized conductor and a neutral conductor, or an energized conductor and a bonded part of the equipment chassis or building structure at the same time. You are now part of a series circuit.

The current flowing through your body is proportional to the resistance of your skin, the resistance of the contact points between you and whatever you're touching, and the voltage. For a given resistance, doubling the voltage will double the current flow.

The range of variation in resistivity, however, is much wider than the variation in common voltages. For example, if you're standing barefoot in a puddle of water, your feet have much more surface area in contact with the ground than they would if they were dry, and the resistance is correspondingly much lower. If you're sweating, the salt water in and on your skin makes it much more conductive.

The current flow to stop a human heart is on the order of 0.1 Amps.

People can and have been shocked to death by 12v batteries when all the variables line up the wrong way.

The technology used to reduce, not eliminate, reduce electrical shock risk is the ground fault circuit interrupter, or residual current device. These monitor the flow of current into a circuit on the hot wire and back out of the circuit on the neutral. If there is an imbalance greater than a set threshold, it is assumed that current is leaking to the ground, possibly through you, and disconnects the power.

2: Electrical Fire

When current flows through any material, even copper wire, some amount of heat is generated due to the resistance of that material. The resistance of copper wire is a function of its diameter and length. The amount of current allowed to flow through a given wire must be limited to an amount which will not create so much heat as to damage the insulation of the wire or the building materials nearby.

This the bulk of where electrical codes concern themselves. When planning a circuit, the first question to ask is how much current the equipment on it will require to operate. Then, a wire size that can safely pass that much current is chosen and a fuse or circuit breaker is installed to stop the flow of current if that amount is exceeded. Other considerations such as the length of run of the wire or high ambient temperatures may require "derating", the use of a larger diameter wire than would otherwise be neccessary.

These heat buildup concerns are also the driving force behind conduit fill limits, wiring box fill limit, conduit diameter requirements, and the like.

3: Arc Flash

Air is a good insulator but not a perfect one. At a given voltage, there is a distance at which current will flow between two conductors which are not in direct contact. As the voltage increases, so does this distance.

Once current flow begins, the air in the path of the current becomes superheated plasma with much lower resistance than air. Current will continue to flow, and over longer distances. This is where lightning and all those youtube videos of panel exploding in a cloud of green copper mist come from.

Switches for large loads are carefully designed to contain and break up these plasma arcs before the currents involved become too large to control.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/ehmYc4M.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

I believe the cables are numbered on the outside.

Given the complexity of the systems, I can imagine that you'd soon run out of colours:

'So, the interior heater is a green/red striped wire and the make-bomb-go-boom system is an avocado/crimson stripe. Better not get them mixed up'

Yeah, I think people have overlooked this post but this is almost certainly the real reason.

Here's the wiring diagram for my 1971 Honda CL350 motorcycle

orange
dark green
light green
light blue
dark blue
brown/green
green/white
black
brown/white
black/white
yellow
red
pink
white
red/white

Fifteen wire colors, and some are still duplicated in different circuits (yellow and dark blue), and the most complex electronic device in this machine is a silicon rectifier.

Color-coding, beyond a few basic things like marking power/ground, absolutely does not work for anything even moderately complicated.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 28, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Instead now it's really easy to tell the white wire from the white wire.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Meanwhile AT&T was all YOLO and built a rainbow-barf monstrosity that could identify up to 28,800 conductors in a single cable

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Meanwhile AT&T was all YOLO and built a rainbow-barf monstrosity that could identify up to 28,800 conductors in a single cable

Getting a pair wrong would need a pretty extraordinary event chain to get people killed, though.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

vortmax posted:

I know this is from pages back, but a local construction company actually renovated old concrete silos into living/office space: Covington Towers

And to continue this resurrection, I work in the white building, and the silos are an indoor climbing gym. Part of the filming set from for the Flaming Lips' 'Christmas on Mars' is still in the buildings on top of the silos.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

One of my claims, a couple years back:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So for all the talk for the color cables, is there a fluke or Fox and hound kinda thing where you clip on and it tone generates like network cables do? (Assuming there is but who loving knows)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A friend of mine is a property manager. He has a block of 8 apartments in a nice neighbourhood where the roof partially lifted off in the big storms we had here in late 2016. It lifted up in a big gust of wind, then slammed back down, causing structural damage to the building as well as messing up a lot of the plaster and paint inside. They got an engineer to get into the roof from the inside and check out the roof ties, which were obviously hosed in one way or another.

Turns out the roof ties didn't exist. The roof was re-done in the early 2000s, and no ties were installed. So how did the roof stop from blowing away from any gust of wind?

Bricks. Large bluestone bricks, holding it down.

Hundreds of bluestone bricks.

Big pile on the corner in case it lifts up!

Better make sure the aerial doesn't blow over! How are we going to do that? I know, bricks!

What loving gets me is that some contractor in the last ten years or so must have been up there to install a satellite dish and just went "Oh yeah, bricks. That's not normal. I'll file those under N for Not My Problem".

edit: you used to be able to make the lines of bricks out on Google Maps but I guess they've just updated the imagery for that area.

Memento fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 29, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I bet that's at least 400 lbs of bricks. Nobody stole the roof.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

spankmeister posted:

One more: Three phase supplies are more dangerous because the voltage between two phases is higher than between a single phase and neutral (208v vs 120v in US) and thus will deliver more current into your dumb rear end

208 is for babies. Up here in Canada, 600V 3ph is pretty common for industrial and commercial buildings.

I work in a heavy equipment shop, and all of our ceiling lights, welders, and automatic bay door motors run off of this. Last week a contractor was in to fix an issue with one of the bay doors, where the motor would continue to run even after the door was shut. It turned out to be dirt buildup on the sensor and was easily fixed, but I guess he also wanted to show the new guy a few things about the setup. After re-energizing the motor, he was demonstrating how to use a (non-insulated) screwdriver to engage the contactor manually, and because I'm posting in here, you can guess how that went. He slipped, and shorted two phases with his screwdriver. I was in the office at the time, and all I heard was a boom, as if someone had slammed a bulldozer blade down on the concrete floor or something, but others in the shop said it was quite the spectacle. Amazingly, nobody was hurt and the only damage was to the screwdriver (and I imagine the new guy's underwear), although it could have easily been much worse.

PopeCrunch posted:

Sure, but the vast majority of circuits you'll encounter on a 110v line are 10 amp - still enough to kill you fifty times over in ideal circumstances, sure, but there's a few moments where rescue is possible. If you're dealing with 3ø circuits, the available amperage - and amps are what kills you - range from what, 20? to well into "well, at least nobody had to splash out for cremation" territory.

This akin to saying "it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end." Technically true, but the magnitude of the second is directly proportional to the magnitude of the first. Higher voltage = higher amperage.

shame on an IGA posted:

The current flow to stop a human heart is on the order of 0.1 Amps.

People can and have been shocked to death by 12v batteries when all the variables line up the wrong way.

Don't forget about the guy who got confused about what "internal resistance" meant, then poked himself in the fingers with a multimeter set to measure resistance, and died when the current from the nine volt battery went across his heart.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

EKDS5k posted:

Don't forget about the guy who got confused about what "internal resistance" meant, then poked himself in the fingers with a multimeter set to measure resistance, and died when the current from the nine volt battery went across his heart.

Wasn't it determined that story was technically possible, but apocryphal?

Edit: A quick look around, and everything mentioning this links back to the Darwin award entry from 1999. And someone claims they knew the sailor in question.

I'm somewhat suspicious of stories like this that are of military origin. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 29, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently this is what happens when you fall asleep browsing the forums

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sagebrush posted:

apparently this is what happens when you fall asleep browsing the forums

Should have posted that and retired your account.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Wasn't it determined that story was technically possible, but apocryphal?

Edit: A quick look around, and everything mentioning this links back to the Darwin award entry from 1999. And someone claims they knew the sailor in question.

I'm somewhat suspicious of stories like this that are of military origin. :v:

Someone posted (in this thread?) that they had been sceptical until they were in a position to see the official incident report.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Memento posted:

A friend of mine is a property manager. He has a block of 8 apartments in a nice neighbourhood where the roof partially lifted off in the big storms we had here in late 2016. It lifted up in a big gust of wind, then slammed back down, causing structural damage to the building as well as messing up a lot of the plaster and paint inside. They got an engineer to get into the roof from the inside and check out the roof ties, which were obviously hosed in one way or another.

Turns out the roof ties didn't exist. The roof was re-done in the early 2000s, and no ties were installed. So how did the roof stop from blowing away from any gust of wind?

Bricks. Large bluestone bricks, holding it down.

Hundreds of bluestone bricks.

Big pile on the corner in case it lifts up!

Better make sure the aerial doesn't blow over! How are we going to do that? I know, bricks!

What loving gets me is that some contractor in the last ten years or so must have been up there to install a satellite dish and just went "Oh yeah, bricks. That's not normal. I'll file those under N for Not My Problem".

edit: you used to be able to make the lines of bricks out on Google Maps but I guess they've just updated the imagery for that area.

For a so called nice neighborhood those pictures remind me more of a shantytown than anything else. All that rusty sheet metal I guess.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

208 is for babies. Up here in Canada, 600V 3ph is pretty common for industrial and commercial buildings.

Oh sure, I just took it as an example because we were talking about 120v 3ph.

I live in Europe so our electricity is twice as dangerous at 400v phase to phase anyway. :v:

quote:

This akin to saying "it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end." Technically true, but the magnitude of the second is directly proportional to the magnitude of the first. Higher voltage = higher amperage.
That's right and it's so common to hear this and while technically true it's just plain dangerous to think that.

So stop parroting it people!

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
The low voltage directive gives 70Vdc and 42Vpk ac for hazardous live conditions in a dry environment. The ratings drop a lot lower in wet conditions. It will still suck at lower voltages and varies with body part (the elbow is pretty sensitive, don't lick your 30V PSU ).
Always assume your wall power source has more than enough guts to drive its full voltage into you.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

I bet that's at least 400 lbs of bricks. Nobody stole the roof.

:golfclap:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

PainterofCrap posted:

One of my claims, a couple years back:

I had a very similar incident a few weeks back. Only it was smallish piece of a slab of concrete from a third floor balcony which fell on my car and dented/scrapped one of the passenger doors. Who pays for the repair? Unfortunately my building doesn't have accident insurance, as my country doesn't require it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have comprehensive insurance for your car, your insurance company covers it at first, and then works out on their own time who's actually responsible for that cost.

If you don't, then in theory it's someone else, but in practice it's probably gonna be you unless it's such a large cost that it becomes worth filing lawsuits about.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Patient's relative 'dies after being sucked into MRI machine'.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TerryLennox posted:

I had a very similar incident a few weeks back. Only it was smallish piece of a slab of concrete from a third floor balcony which fell on my car and dented/scrapped one of the passenger doors. Who pays for the repair? Unfortunately my building doesn't have accident insurance, as my country doesn't require it.

The car was stolen. It was driven down that alleyway, and took out the support posts. That is a 4” concrete slab on a steel pan.
Claim was made by the homeowner beyond; the car hit her house, too. We didn’t insure the house with the patio, which resulted in an impasse, as the insured couldn’t fix her house until the car was moved...which meant moving the slab first...and no one could raise a living soul there. I tried, even got the owner’s name through a skip trace. I paid our insured & wished her good luck.

West Philadelphia, btw.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder if this happened in a worse or a less :stonk: way that I'm imagining it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Szymanski posted:

The low voltage directive gives 70Vdc and 42Vpk ac for hazardous live conditions in a dry environment. The ratings drop a lot lower in wet conditions. It will still suck at lower voltages and varies with body part (the elbow is pretty sensitive, don't lick your 30V PSU ).
Always assume your wall power source has more than enough guts to drive its full voltage into you.

It's not the amps *or* the volts. It's the joules!

I zapped myself with 1 kV once but it was on the low-current side of the transformer and it didn't do anything but hypercontract every muscle in my upper torso, and I grunted and dropped the offending device. Everyone in the lab looked at me for a second and then we all realized what happened at the same time and started laughing. You know how they still use ECT to treat severe clinical depressives? I can see how that works because that shock must have dumped a quart of serotonin into my system, I was in the best mood for about the next week.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phanatic posted:

It's not the amps *or* the volts. It's the joules!

I zapped myself with 1 kV once but it was on the low-current side of the transformer and it didn't do anything but hypercontract every muscle in my upper torso, and I grunted and dropped the offending device. Everyone in the lab looked at me for a second and then we all realized what happened at the same time and started laughing. You know how they still use ECT to treat severe clinical depressives? I can see how that works because that shock must have dumped a quart of serotonin into my system, I was in the best mood for about the next week.

Nearly everyone has experienced a shock in the tens of kV from good old static electricity.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I wonder if this happened in a worse or a less :stonk: way that I'm imagining it.

The article says the oxygen tank he was cleared to bring into the MRI room crushed his hand against the machine, ruptured, and his lungs collapsed because an “Excessive quantity of oxygen entered his body from the cylinder”. Not sure how your imagination stacks up against his lungs popping like flesh balloons.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
As a dumbass kid....

as a REALLY dumbass kid who was loving around with a TURNED ON CRT TV
I got a really good zap from the flywheel transformer and am a bit lucky to be around.
Gained some healthy respect for electricity and learned not to pull that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

kiss me Pikachu posted:

The article says the oxygen tank he was cleared to bring into the MRI room crushed his hand against the machine, ruptured, and his lungs collapsed because an “Excessive quantity of oxygen entered his body from the cylinder”. Not sure how your imagination stacks up against his lungs popping like flesh balloons.

I was on a conference call and skipped that second part (lungs) entirely. Different from how I pictured it but just as bad.