Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We made it to 1000 pages. Take that, Video Games!

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Weedle posted:

By checking to make sure that the Nintendo account logged into the system has purchased that title? Not sure why this would work any differently than using one SD card.

We’re talking about the context of the Nintendo service no longer being available.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can’t decide when or if to sell my WiiU. When are we gonna know for sure that all of its good games are going to get Switch ports? I don’t need the actual ports in my hand yet, just to know they’re coming someday in case I want to play them again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just beat the epilogue. Done two of the b sides and got all the hearts except chapter 3, 7, and epilogue. Got all the B side tapes so I can go do those now. Got about 130 strawberry's I think

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We made it to 1000 pages. Take that, Video Games!

The OP is really outdated

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can’t decide when or if to sell my WiiU. When are we gonna know for sure that all of its good games are going to get Switch ports? I don’t need the actual ports in my hand yet, just to know they’re coming someday in case I want to play them again.

I guess just make a list of every Wii U game you consider good and check them off as ports are announced?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pakistani politics posted:

Rime on Switch is no bueno. Bad optimization, blech. Btw what's up Feenix I haven't seen you in many years.

New phone. Who dis?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are there any Subnautica/No Man's Sky style exploration games out on the switch? Just something I can wander around in and take in the sights.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

We’re talking about the context of the Nintendo service no longer being available.

I expect that if Nintendo ever shuts down the eShop completely, they’ll give people a way to back up their purchases in a manner that doesn’t require authentication, much as Valve has said they’ll do if they ever shut down Steam. I doubt this will happen until Nintendo folds, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Reality Loser posted:

Are there any Subnautica/No Man's Sky style exploration games out on the switch? Just something I can wander around in and take in the sights.

Morphite?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Reality Loser posted:

Breath of the Wild

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Are there any good rear end classic style RPGs on this thing? Think turn based, like old FF or Earthbound or whatever. Preferably without twelve year olds with anime titties. Octopath isn't out yet.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Weedle posted:

I expect that if Nintendo ever shuts down the eShop completely, they’ll give people a way to back up their purchases in a manner that doesn’t require authentication, much as Valve has said they’ll do if they ever shut down Steam. I doubt this will happen until Nintendo folds, though.

Doesn’t sound like that’s the plan for the Wii next year.

quote:

Dear Nintendo fans,

On January 30, 2019, we plan to close the Wii Shop Channel, which has been available on Wii systems since December 2006. We sincerely thank our loyal customers for their support.

You can still add Wii Points until March 26, 2018, and purchase content on the Wii Shop Channel until January 30, 2019. In the future, we will be closing all services related to the Wii Shop Channel, including redownloading purchased WiiWare, Virtual Console titles, and Wii Channel, as well as Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system.

If you have Wii Points to spend, content you want to re-download, or content you’d like to transfer from a Wii system to a Wii U system, we recommend you do so while the services are still available.

If you have any questions, please see our Q&A.

Thank you for supporting the Wii Shop Channel and for being such great fans of Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Nintendo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

We're just waiting on Mario Maker, Mario 3D world and captain toad at this point right? I'd guess the first one is a sure thing. I've got my fingers crossed for the other 2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

We're just waiting on Mario Maker, Mario 3D world and captain toad at this point right? I'd guess the first one is a sure thing. I've got my fingers crossed for the other 2

There's a lot more good Wii U games than that

Pikmin 3 is an important one for instance

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pug Rodeo posted:

Doesn’t sound like that’s the plan for the Wii next year.

That’s different. The Wii Shop Channel is a discrete, Wii-only thing, separate from the eShop which has been used across 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. The Wii Shop Channel also only sold a small subset of Wii games, while most of them were disc-only, so the bulk of every Wii user’s library is physical. The 3DS, Wii U, and Switch have their entire game library available digitally through the eShop; shutting that down would be massively more impactful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Regy Rusty posted:

There's a lot more good Wii U games than that

Pikmin 3 is an important one for instance

I liked Yoshi's Wooly World a lot too, though I wonder if that'll get released any time soon if there's what looks like a follow-up to that game late this year.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nintendo pretty consistently puts good games out on the Switch most months, all those good Wii U games stand to be good filler for months they don't necessarily have a big launch coming for

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they should rerelase the wonderful 1001 to the switch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

I got to the final chapter of Celeste but my will to continue just disappeared entirely and I ended up deleting the game. The first game I've regretted buying for my switch for sure.

what the gently caress

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ColdPie posted:

Are there any good rear end classic style RPGs on this thing? Think turn based, like old FF or Earthbound or whatever. Preferably without twelve year olds with anime titties. Octopath isn't out yet.

Romancing SaGa 2 is literally a 90s RPG and available on the Switch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ColdPie posted:

I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear are true to form if not inspiring.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wouldn’t say either of them are good but they’re certainly not bad games and should scratch a classic RPG itch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What does assist mode in Celeste do? I like the graphics and i do enjoy platformers, but those kind of platformers that are made to be real hard always have a point where I'm gonna be stuck and be unable to progress without help

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can turn on multiple or infinite dashes, invulnerability, or slow gameplay in ten percent increments down to 50% speed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just wonder if someday soon the floodgates will open on WiiU to Switch port announcements.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

What does assist mode in Celeste do? I like the graphics and i do enjoy platformers, but those kind of platformers that are made to be real hard always have a point where I'm gonna be stuck and be unable to progress without help

Al answered your question about assist mode, but the nice thing about Celeste is that the different parts have different degrees of difficulty. If you just play through and beat the main story you'll have a challenging and satisfying but certainly not overly brutal experience. Getting all the strawberries and other secrets gets a bit harder. And then tackling the B-sides and what lies beyond is when it gets truly evil.

Since you can turn on Assist mode at any time, and tweak the settings freely, you can play as far as you feel like without it and then if you still want to see the harder stuff but with some help you can turn it on later.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, if you can get either of them for $20 or under then go for it. Will be harder with Lost Sphear because it only came out a few days ago.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can turn on multiple or infinite dashes, invulnerability, or slow gameplay in ten percent increments down to 50% speed.

Regy Rusty posted:

Al answered your question about assist mode, but the nice thing about Celeste is that the different parts have different degrees of difficulty. If you just play through and beat the main story you'll have a challenging and satisfying but certainly not overly brutal experience. Getting all the strawberries and other secrets gets a bit harder. And then tackling the B-sides and what lies beyond is when it gets truly evil.

Since you can turn on Assist mode at any time, and tweak the settings freely, you can play as far as you feel like without it and then if you still want to see the harder stuff but with some help you can turn it on later.

Thanks, sounds like it's pretty customizable then, I'm gonna def pick it up when I can

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I prefer to buy physical when I can, but my brain is not so broken that I don’t understand why people would feel differently and like digital only.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

I just reached Chapter 8 of Xenoblade 2.
Does this ludicrously overwrought anime story get any better going forward?
I don't give a ratfuck about a single one of these characters after spending 150 hours on it.
The only reason I keep playing is for the mindlessly mechanical stuff like battles and questing, but if I were to lose the save file now I can't see myself ever starting up again.
I hate the weird system of leveling at inns, too. It seems like a weird layer of user-unfriendly bureaucracy that contributed to making Xenoblade Cross such a tedious, unlikable slog.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does BOTW ever go on sale?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just wonder if someday soon the floodgates will open on WiiU to Switch port announcements.

We just got Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze announcements so they’ve been pretty steady. Smash 4 will probably be one I think but who knows at this point. Mario Maker will probably just be a sequel.

I’d like to see Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, Twilight Princess HD and Wind Walker HD but I think they’re unlikely. Then again I didn’t expect any of the 3 I just listed so who knows.:)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Virtue posted:

Does BOTW ever go on sale?

Ahahahahaha.

no.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/kirby25thjp/status/957810564620730368
Star Allies confirmed for GOTY 2018.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Ahahahahaha.

no.

I found The explorer edition on sale at Wal Mart for $45 around Xmas. Although, it wasn't listed as a sale...so maybe they just hosed the price up?

The only big switch release I see on sale regularly is Mario Rabbids. I'm guessing the market for TBS is limited.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 29, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

veni veni veni posted:

I found The explorer edition on sale at Wal Mart for $45 around Xmas. Although, it wasn't listed as a sale...so maybe they just hosed the price up?

Wow, yeah I'd say you got pretty lucky.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

I hate the weird system of leveling at inns, too. It seems like a weird layer of user-unfriendly bureaucracy that contributed to making Xenoblade Cross such a tedious, unlikable slog.

Battle exp is applied immediately. It's only exp from location discoveries and sidequests that aren't. It was implemented to deal with the issue of being really easy to overlevel if you did a lot of the side stuff in the first game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

First party stuff on Nintendo systems pretty much holds value forever. Fooooorrrrreeeevvvveeeerrrrrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Lobster posted:

First party stuff on Nintendo systems pretty much holds value forever. Fooooorrrrreeeevvvveeeerrrrrrr.

Unless it's really, really bad and even then it's a toss-up.

• Locked thread