Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i love that colin lost the job because he made such an absolutely lovely movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Found it: https://www.metro.us/entertainment/movies/mark-hamill-george-lucas-star-wars

quote:

What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.

He didn't say they threw it out, but googling there's another quote from Kathleen Kennedy in 2015 talking about how they were moving in a different direction with the trilogy. So I doubt Disney is using anything he provided.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Let's just cancel 9. The broom kid scene was a fulfilling cap on the whole thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Let's just cancel 9. The broom kid scene was a fulfilling cap on the whole thing

I honestly agree . I have no idea what they are going to do with 9 as it seems 8 finished a lot of stories.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

I honestly agree . I have no idea what they are going to do with 9 as it seems 8 finished a lot of stories.

Things I expect to see in 9.
A funeral for Leia.
Ghost Luke and maybe a few more ghost Jedi talking to Rey.
Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren will die, likely by Rey's lightsaber.
Rey might make a new light saber that is double edged.
The film ends with Rey starting a new Jedi Order.
Poe will help in an important space battle and may sacrifice himself.
No idea what Finn will do.
Lando will get a cameo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The thing is I'm trying to envision any way it all ends without it just being a return to the status quo we got left with in RotJ.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Rey and Kylo's son, Luke Ren, is corrupted by the sinister and shadowy Snope. Only a Force sensitive orphan from desert planet of Tatthreeine and her new friend, an ex-Neo Stormtrooper (played by a Native American actor, a first for the series) can save the Insurrection and defeat the malevolent Last Order.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its going to be a phantom menace rehash im calling it now

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ren will go on a pilgrimage to the planet Damas Kus and on the way will be blinded by a bright light and hear Luke's voice crying, "Ren! Ren! Why do you persecute me?" When he gets there, he goes to the house of Ju'Das the Hutt on Straight Street, where he's healed by Maz Kanata. From that day forward, he is known as Kylo Ben, and becomes the foremost Jedi apostle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

yeah walking out it felt like i'd watched the end of a trilogy not the middle part.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Captain Splendid posted:

The thing is I'm trying to envision any way it all ends without it just being a return to the status quo we got left with in RotJ.

Assuming they don't gently caress up:

Rey will not kill Ren. You don't follow "light side wins by refusing to kill the dark" with "light kill dark."

In the first two movies, Ren makes an offer which Rey refuses, but with de-escalating conflict. A third offer will be made, perhaps even by Rey to Ren, which will not be refused.

The fact that both the Resistance and the First Order are forces formed outside of the Republic, reacting to it and formed with the support of tendencies within it, will have to be acknowledged. The degree to which TLJ devotes it's time to illustrating the conflicts within the Resistance is notable; the message, however muddled, is that the Resistance is not a collection of saints.

My preferred resolution would draw somewhat from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin:

quote:

Gordon Liu plays Liu Yude, a working class student in Qing Dynasty Guangdong. He's the son of a fishmonger, sick of seeing his family and friends persecuted by the Manchu oppressors who rule the province with an iron fist. Although he joins a group of revolutionaries, their plans are discovered by the Manchus and a bloody massacre ensues. Liu escapes and manages - starving and injured - to literally crawl his way through the woods and up the mountains to Shaolin Temple, the place where he’s heard they teach kung fu. Although Shaolin is closed to outsiders, the monks take him in and heal him, seeing his arrival as an act of providence. There's initial resistance to training him but, when it's clear he's not giving up, they give him a monk name (San Te) and allow him to enter the 35 training chambers.

It's quite a daring narrative in that at least an hour of the film is devoted to training sequences (something most films get finished in a five minute montage) but it’s never dull. Most of the chambers are iconic and imaginative. The earlier ones play San Te's incompetence for laughs but, as he moves through the chambers and improves his skills, the tasks become harder and more exciting. Some focus on training individual parts of the body, such as the incredible 'Head Chamber' where he has to fight his way through hanging sandbags using only his head. There are chambers devoted to the practice of individual weapons. Others focus on mental discipline, like the 'Eye Chamber' where he stands between two flaming sticks and tries not to move his head while watching a pendulum swing. It’s almost like a Saw trap!

Eventually, San Te creates his own weapon - a three-jointed nunchaku that needs to be seen in action to be believed - and becomes both physically and mentally ready to become true Shaolin. Having completed the training in record time, he petitions the Temple to open a '36th Chamber' that allows laymen to learn kung fu, thus creating a force of highly-trained martial artists ready to start a full blown revolution against the Manchus. The rest is, literally, history.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 29, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

i love that colin lost the job because he made such an absolutely lovely movie.

Which one was that?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

porfiria posted:

Rey and Kylo's son, Luke Ren, is corrupted by the sinister and shadowy Snope. Only a Force sensitive orphan from desert planet of Tatthreeine and her new friend, an ex-Neo Stormtrooper (played by a Native American actor, a first for the series) can save the Insurrection and defeat the malevolent Last Order.

I mean we'll certainly be getting this at some point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

UmOk posted:

Which one was that?

Book of Henry.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Spacebump posted:

Things I expect to see in 9.
A funeral for Leia.
Ghost Luke and maybe a few more ghost Jedi talking to Rey.
Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren will die, likely by Rey's lightsaber.
Rey might make a new light saber that is double edged.
The film ends with Rey starting a new Jedi Order.
Poe will help in an important space battle and may sacrifice himself.
No idea what Finn will do.
Lando will get a cameo.
After 8 I have no idea what to expect because expectations are made to be unmet nowadays. But I do expect 5 things:

Rey holding Kylo/Ben in pieta pose, dead or alive
Kylo's body will get loving rekt like Anakin, either by friends or foes, whether he's redeemed or no
Ben Solo appears (in flashback or present), and his goodness will be telegraphed by revealing his gigantic goofy un-Darkside ears
Hux dies unredeemed
BB-9E is redeemed

euphronius posted:

8 didn't finish poo poo. Only Kylo and Rey accomplished anything, and even then it amounted to nothing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ema Nymton posted:

After 8 I have no idea what to expect because expectations are made to be unmet nowadays. But I do expect 5 things:

Rey holding Kylo/Ben in pieta pose, dead or alive
Kylo's body will get loving rekt like Anakin, either by friends or foes, whether he's redeemed or no
Ben Solo appears (in flashback or present), and his goodness will be telegraphed by revealing his gigantic goofy un-Darkside ears
Hux dies unredeemed
BB-9E is redeemed

8 didn't finish poo poo. Only Kylo and Rey accomplished anything, and even then it amounted to nothing.

??? The rebellion died . Liea is ideologically dead . Luke is dead .

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm calling that the Knights of Ren return from wherever they are and rebel against Supreme Leader, causing him to have to team up with the Rebsistance to destroy some new faction of First order(second order?)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

euphronius posted:

??? The rebellion died . Liea is ideologically dead . Luke is dead .

Few important questions were answered. The rebellion isn't dead either, because "hope" or whatever and we know another movie's being made. And I actually liked TLJ, but it just accomplished so little and Episode 9 has a lot of poo poo to finish up because of TLJ.

UmOk posted:

I'm calling that the Knights of Ren return from wherever they are and rebel against Supreme Leader, causing him to have to team up with the Rebsistance to destroy some new faction of First order(second order?)
I also assume that some of them will have conveniently died since the time it was supposed to be when Rey saw them in her vision

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Opening crawl: "Kylo Ren has vanished"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The opening crawl should just be
gently caress YOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOU...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

CelticPredator posted:

The opening crawl should just be
gently caress YOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOU...

Star Wars Episode IX:
God Help Us All

Oh poo poo we are so hosed
We have to wrap up this
iconic series and we've
turned to JJ Abrams

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Star Wars Episode IX:
On Second Thought This Is A Fine Helmet

KYLO REN has decided to wear
his old helmet. The remarks about
it’s dumbness have been discarded
along with the adjusted location
of his scar. With his actually BADASS
HELMET he leads the search for
the last remaining merchandising.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

TildeATH posted:

Star Wars Episode IX:

Per SMG, wouldn't the helmet represent his faith in Christ?

No wonder the dude iced Snoke for making fun of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rey is dead. So is Poe.
Finn too. But Rose is still alive.
Leia was turned into a Dug.
Kylo Ren changed his name to
Dagger Bonetrain.
He also ate Vader’s ashes which
tasted good with some titty milk...

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

TildeATH posted:

Star Wars Episode IX:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can understand digging the movie but loving lol

Please point to better acted more nuanced scenes than anything where Daisy and Driver share the screen. The throne room shot where Snoke is cut in half to the sword flying to Daisy is the best shot in the series. Sorry you didn't enjoy the movie.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ingmar terdman posted:

No. In the scroll...40 years have passed....broom kid is the most powerful Sith in the galaxy....super weapon....

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

The whole Knights of Ren thing intrigues me. I can't help but think it's referring to the Chinese concept:

quote:

Ren (Chinese: 仁) is the Confucian virtue denoting the good feeling a virtuous human experiences when being altruistic. Ren is exemplified by a normal adult's protective feelings for children. It is considered the outward expression of Confucian ideals.

Yan Hui, one of the Four Sages, once asked his master to describe the rules of ren. Confucius replied, "One should see nothing improper, hear nothing improper, say nothing improper, do nothing improper." Confucius also defined ren in the following way: "wishing to be established himself, seeks also to establish others; wishing to be enlarged himself, he seeks also to enlarge others." Confucius also said, "Ren is not far off; he who seeks it has already found it." Ren is close to man and never leaves him.

I mean, that sounds like an ideal the Jedi should be living up to, and could be called a balance between the light and the Dark Side.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hodgepodge posted:

I mean, that sounds like an ideal the Jedi should be living up to, and could be called a balance between the light and the Dark Side.

It does sound very similar to Anakin's line, "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life."

It also sounds like a complete refutation of what most Jedi claim the dark side is, so I don't see how would in any way be a balance.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

It does sound very similar to Anakin's line, "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life."

It also sounds like a complete refutation of what most Jedi claim the dark side is, so I don't see how would in any way be a balance.

The Jedi Code is self-denying altruism. The Dark Side is total selfishness. This is seeking to ennoble oneself through altruism.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Please point to better acted more nuanced scenes than anything where Daisy and Driver share the screen. The throne room shot where Snoke is cut in half to the sword flying to Daisy is the best shot in the series. Sorry you didn't enjoy the movie.

https://youtu.be/QMk0-pZfx5Q

https://youtu.be/lhX5V-wICuw

I mean, really, the lightsaber going to Rey isn't even a great shot within the movie itself, let alone the entire series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hodgepodge posted:

The Jedi Code is self-denying altruism. The Dark Side is total selfishness. This is seeking to ennoble oneself through altruism.

I don't see how "altruism is ennobling" is meaningfully distinct from "compassion is essential" in this context.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Cameo posted:

I mean, really, the lightsaber going to Rey isn't even a great shot within the movie itself, let alone the entire series.

God drat ESB is so good. O_O

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't see how "altruism is ennobling" is meaningfully distinct from "compassion is essential" in this context.

It points out that altruism isn't necessarily self-deprivating.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This thread is so much better when we just embrace Star Wars for what it is.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Cameo posted:

You really think those are on the level thematically as two characters thinking about tossing out the philosophy of the entire series? A hot rogue and princess falling in love, and a cool lightsaber fight between good and evil? Vader is still a 2d cut out in ESB. And rey catching the light saber is framed well and has more layers to it than most moments in the series.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 29, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Two characters thinking about tossing out the philosophy of the entire series, and then not doing it.

Truly inspiring.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you search "trade federation" on wikipedia, it takes you to the article for "Galactic Republic" :buddy:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Rey, true to Luke's wishes, abandons the Jedi and creates a new order of her own: the Knights of Stimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

You really think those are on the level thematically as two characters thinking about tossing out the philosophy of the entire series?

Rian Johnson made bad movie where most of the screen time was spent placating people like you as opposed to telling a good story. It followed through on next to nothing. The past wasn't thrown out or killed, it was blatantly borrowed from to recreate scenes from.

All of the original content does is flirt with the idea of going in a new direction, but then Rey refuses Ren because he is a loser espousing a philosophy of losers. It says a lot about the people who think he has anything meaningful to say both about Star Wars as a franchise, or the fictional history of the galaxy far far away.

This is a movie that frames a kiss between two characters with a titanic explosion in the background that kills who knows how many rebels, and people are defending this scene/movie as trying to show that ACTIONS have CONSEQUENCES, as though that's never happened in Star Wars at any point in time, ever. Nuance is nowhere to be found in TLJ, and if we're giving brownie points to films for hinting at something greater than what we actually got on screen, I'm surprised the entire board isn't just filled with nothing but pseudo-SMG style posting where we all pretend the prequels were brilliant pieces of cinema.

• Locked thread