Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

rocknrollmachine posted:

Thank you! The color changes made the work seem a little less repetitive. I love Westknit patterns because they're simple...but I also get bored for the same reason. It's a double-edge sword.
I love the colors of your handspun, and that cowl has beautiful texture! What pattern are you using if you don't mind me asking? :)

Yeah I have that issue too - I really love super complicated patterns and get bored with simple stuff but then sometimes I have nothing to knit when I'm not able to put my full attention on it. I know, I should have a complicated thing AND a simple thing, but I just never seem to have any simple things.

The cowl pattern is called Khajiit - beautiful pattern but it definitely doesn't hold your hand with the explanations! If you ever decide to make one look me up I'll show you how I handled the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wow Bob, that handspun is really gorgeous. Rocknrollmachine, that spectra gradient knocks my socks off.

So here's my unblocked turd:

I haven't woven in the ends yet either because I'm still on the fence about it. I know I need to unpick the cast off and redo it looser/on bigger needles because it's too tight. I'm sort of thinking of redoing it with the lace sections beginning in the gray sections to make the color transitions a bit softer (and making the first blue section thinner). I do like it a bit more the more I look at it, I think it's just unsophisticated.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Wow Bob, that handspun is really gorgeous. Rocknrollmachine, that spectra gradient knocks my socks off.

I haven't woven in the ends yet either because I'm still on the fence about it. I know I need to unpick the cast off and redo it looser/on bigger needles because it's too tight. I'm sort of thinking of redoing it with the lace sections beginning in the gray sections to make the color transitions a bit softer (and making the first blue section thinner). I do like it a bit more the more I look at it, I think it's just unsophisticated.

Aw thanks! The lady who dyed that fiber closed her shop last fall and I legit had like a depressive episode over it, she always had such wonderful colors.

I think turd is a bit much! I love those colors. Maybe an icord edging or something ?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I think turd is a bit much! I love those colors. Maybe an icord edging or something ?

Yeah, definitely not a turd! It is definitely bold. Reminds me of some sneakers I used to have. I loved those sneakers.

Sometimes it takes me a bit to get used to something I don't usually go for, but I end up liking it. You know what you like, NancyPants, so if you know you won't be happy until you redo the transitions, have at it. I bet redoing the cast-off and maybe an icord edging like Bob says to round the colors together might just be all you need.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

rocknrollmachine, I love that spectra shawl, it looks great! The hat is cute too~

bobshadycharacter, that purse is super cute! How did you attach the lining/clasps? I've been considering getting into making some little bags with embroidery stuff I make, but I'm intimidated by actually putting the bag together.

nancypants, I like your shawl!!! I get your frustration about the grey gradient not going as well as you like, but I still think it looks pretty great, and second the recommendation for an icord edging--it's tedious but looks so good.

I recently finished some socks, and just in the nick of time--it got to -16c this week, and i needed all the wool I could get.

The pattern is Skandium for anyone interested. Getting fraternal twins like this takes almost exactly 50g of each color. I was sweating bullets near the end, since I couldn't get more of this yarn.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

rocknrollmachine, I love that spectra shawl, it looks great! The hat is cute too~

bobshadycharacter, that purse is super cute! How did you attach the lining/clasps? I've been considering getting into making some little bags with embroidery stuff I make, but I'm intimidated by actually putting the bag together.

nancypants, I like your shawl!!! I get your frustration about the grey gradient not going as well as you like, but I still think it looks pretty great, and second the recommendation for an icord edging--it's tedious but looks so good.

I recently finished some socks, and just in the nick of time--it got to -16c this week, and i needed all the wool I could get.

The pattern is Skandium for anyone interested. Getting fraternal twins like this takes almost exactly 50g of each color. I was sweating bullets near the end, since I couldn't get more of this yarn.

I hand sewed the lining to the purse, then applied the glue to the handles and used a flathead screwdriver to shove the edges in. Then I very gently used pliers to squeeze the frame a bit.

The pattern called for shoving some paper cording in afterwards, but that was not happening - there just wasn't room. And I'd already reduced the bulk by doing a cloth lining instead of a second knitted piece.

It seems pretty sturdy, at least so far!

Edit: those socks rule!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
More knitting, because I am avoiding studying Hematology.

Basic 1x1 rib scarf made from Wolle Rodel Mosaik - mohair/polyamid/polyacryl according to what little German on the label I can translate. Super long, super light and fluffy.

Baby mocassin-socks.

I hate blocking so much but I can't argue with the results of how it makes cables and lace pop.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the input and compliments guys. I was thinking of a border to bring it all together, problem is I think black would be too much and I'm out of both the mid gray and deepest teal so a bit SOL on which yarns to use. Might leave this as babby's first design attempt, lol.

Sehkmet that lace gives me life. It's gorgeous.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Stumbled across this in the MadTosh Rav group. Thoughts? Personally I'm firmly in the, "It's loving yarn, who cares what the name is and it fits the inspiration" camp.

Ridiculousness

rocknrollmachine
Jul 18, 2011

NancyPants posted:

I love the color scheme. I think once you block it it will look very chic. :D Someone once told me that if you want to "blend" the colors of a gradient together you can knit with two strands of the yarn for ~4-5 rows or whatever your preference is prior to starting the new color and it makes the transition a little softer. I've never tried it though. I would think the two strands would make that particular section noticeably bulkier than the rest of it.

rocknrollmachine
Jul 18, 2011

left_unattended posted:

Stumbled across this in the MadTosh Rav group. Thoughts? Personally I'm firmly in the, "It's loving yarn, who cares what the name is and it fits the inspiration" camp.

Ridiculousness

I also fall into this camp. Yarn is yarn, but I'll admit, I do appreciate cleverness with yarn names. My favorite independent yarn dyers have very...eclectic naming schemes.

https://awhimsicalwoodyarnco.com
https://squareup.com/market/yarn-geek-fibers

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rocknrollmachine posted:

I love the color scheme. I think once you block it it will look very chic. :D Someone once told me that if you want to "blend" the colors of a gradient together you can knit with two strands of the yarn for ~4-5 rows or whatever your preference is prior to starting the new color and it makes the transition a little softer. I've never tried it though. I would think the two strands would make that particular section noticeably bulkier than the rest of it.

Hm, never heard of that method before, I would think it would really bulk up those sections too. I was thinking of alternating each color for like 4 garter ridges or so coming up to each transition so it has the same effect as dithering on old 8 bit graphics. I wonder if that's what they were describing?

left_unattended posted:

Ridiculousness

If I ever start selling my hand dyed yarn, y'all can bet your sweet buns that I will be giving it ridiculous names. And my yarn don't run.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think it's hilariously dumb someone wouldn't buy it because of the name, but I also think it's hilariously dumb people do buy yarn because of its names. All you need to do is call it something related to Doctor Who and you'll double your sales, like who is that stupid, a lot of people apparently

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I had to google the yarn to see the color and it’s so gorgeous I tried to cram my phone in my mouth. Why are ‘tosh yarns sooooo delectable

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it's hilariously dumb someone wouldn't buy it because of the name, but I also think it's hilariously dumb people do buy yarn because of its names. All you need to do is call it something related to Doctor Who and you'll double your sales, like who is that stupid, a lot of people apparently

Marketing is all about giving customers an emotional connection to your product, so this isn't really that surprising. I roll my eyes at it now, but I'm sure I have been influenced to buy something because it had a name that struck a chord with me, sigh. On the other hand, BPAL makes a fragrance I like, but it's called Jailbait, and that makes me cringe, so I haven't bought a bottle of it. But that's different from just being a ridiculous name.

I only know the names of my yarns so I can tag potential projects for them. Because imagining finished projects is way easier than actually finishing them.....

Surely I'm not the only one with like 30 patterns tagged for a single yarn....

elise the great posted:

I had to google the yarn to see the color and it’s so gorgeous I tried to cram my phone in my mouth. Why are ‘tosh yarns sooooo delectable

After TWICE having so much variation within a single skein of Tosh that it hosed up the project, I have once again sworn to never buy it, but I just know I'm going to get suckered by it again.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

elise the great posted:

It's because they more than saturate the yarn with more dye than it's physically capable of holding, so the excess dye comes off on your hands and needles and clothes and in the wash :(

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh poo poo really? That sucks, guess I’m gonna have to eat straight dye for my fix

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Who takes a gauge off a washed and blocked swatch? How do you adjust your needle size if you need to wash and block it before you measure?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Who takes a gauge off a washed and blocked swatch? How do you adjust your needle size if you need to wash and block it before you measure?

I pretty much always do gauge off a wash and blocked swatch for any designing I do, even if the pattern is just for me. That way i know the yarn will behave and if the stitches still look right after.

Obviously if as I'm knitting it looks like poo poo, I'll change the needle size. But otherwise I'll finish the swatch--I tend to do a sample of the stitch motif I plan on using for whatever--bind it off, wash, and block. If it looks good, that's the needle size. if it looks a little too loose or too tight, I'll go up or down one size, and that's fine.

If writing a pattern for other people to use, then I'll figure out the gauge from that blocked sample since I know how many rows and stitches across the sample is and it's a little bit of math.

Otherwise I just start on whatever I'm making for me.

I'm doing this for a hat right now, and it's tedious, but it's saved me a lot of work already--I've had time to tweak the pattern, decide I prefer it denser, and catch some charting mistakes I made. Better to fix something that's only 30 stitches than something that's 120 stitches, you know?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

NancyPants posted:

I knit a few small swatches (1.5" Sq), wash/dress/measure, and then make a big swatch (6" Sq) with the one that looks closest. Measure, then wash, dress, measure again. If it's not right, either knit another big swatch, or adjust the pattern. If it's pretty close I might also just go up or down without making a new big swatch. Or make a medium swatch.

One nearly-ruined alpaca sweater and I will never consider knitting and dressing multiple swatches too much work again :( if you are using a heavy yarn, it's worth it to hang and weight your swatch as well, because the weight of the yarn can cause the garment to stretch vertically when worn. -- if I were doing a scarf or shawl or something, I would probably not bother to swatch at all though.

(I do still forget to measure the swatches BEFORE dressing them sometimes, which sucks for checking measurements and adjusting as I knit.)

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 29, 2018

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

One nearly-ruined alpaca sweater and I will never consider knitting and dressing multiple swatches too much work again :(

:highfive:

sup buddy at least my mom still loves it and wears it all the time and brags all the time about it

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I pretty much always do gauge off a wash and blocked swatch for any designing I do, even if the pattern is just for me. That way i know the yarn will behave and if the stitches still look right after.

Obviously if as I'm knitting it looks like poo poo, I'll change the needle size. But otherwise I'll finish the swatch--I tend to do a sample of the stitch motif I plan on using for whatever--bind it off, wash, and block. If it looks good, that's the needle size. if it looks a little too loose or too tight, I'll go up or down one size, and that's fine.

If writing a pattern for other people to use, then I'll figure out the gauge from that blocked sample since I know how many rows and stitches across the sample is and it's a little bit of math.

Otherwise I just start on whatever I'm making for me.

I'm doing this for a hat right now, and it's tedious, but it's saved me a lot of work already--I've had time to tweak the pattern, decide I prefer it denser, and catch some charting mistakes I made. Better to fix something that's only 30 stitches than something that's 120 stitches, you know?

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I knit a few small swatches (1.5" Sq), wash/dress/measure, and then make a big swatch (6" Sq) with the one that looks closest. Measure, then wash, dress, measure again. If it's not right, either knit another big swatch, or adjust the pattern. If it's pretty close I might also just go up or down without making a new big swatch. Or make a medium swatch.

One nearly-ruined alpaca sweater and I will never consider knitting and dressing multiple swatches too much work again :( if you are using a heavy yarn, it's worth it to hang and weight your swatch as well, because the weight of the yarn can cause the garment to stretch vertically when worn. -- if I were doing a scarf or shawl or something, I would probably not bother to swatch at all though.

(I do still forget to measure the swatches BEFORE dressing them sometimes, which sucks for checking measurements and adjusting as I knit.)

All of this makes perfect sense to me because it's why you swatch, especially when you're designing. I always do a gauge swatch even if I just need it to figure yarn requirements, but if there's no pre-blocking gauge given, isn't there a figure missing? Is it common in garment patterns to give only the blocked gauge? I use a gauge swatch to know if I'm on target, but without a pre-blocked gauge I'm just stabbing in the dark.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

NancyPants posted:

All of this makes perfect sense to me because it's why you swatch, especially when you're designing. I always do a gauge swatch even if I just need it to figure yarn requirements, but if there's no pre-blocking gauge given, isn't there a figure missing? Is it common in garment patterns to give only the blocked gauge? I use a gauge swatch to know if I'm on target, but without a pre-blocked gauge I'm just stabbing in the dark.

I sometimes see pre & post blocking gauges, but not often. As long as I have a target to shoot for (post-blocking gauge) I can keep my own notes on how my swatch's gauge changes pre to post block.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

NancyPants posted:

I'm not sure I totally understand the question. Especially about how you are stabbing in the dark without being given a pre-blocked gauge.

Yes, it's standard for designers to only give the blocked gauge, and no pre-blocking gauge. Using the blocked gauge is the only way to be sure all knitters will get the final sizes listed in the pattern. The problem with the designer giving you the pre-blocking gauge is that different yarns respond differently to blocking, so my 5.5 stitch per inch unblocked swatch and your 5.5 stitch per inch unblocked swatch might end up radically different after blocking. This is why I measure my own swatches pre-blocking (in theory, argh), so then I have the pre-block gauge for my yarn, so I can check as I go.

Is that answering the question any better?

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Is anyone going to Stitches West this year? This will be my second time going :)

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I taught myself Magic Loop from Youtube videos!!!!

I feel so smart right now. I had to tell someone because husband doesn't care until new socks materialize for him from this learning exercise, haha.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm far, far too lazy to do the full wash and block for my swatches. This is why I mostly make hats, socks, and shawls.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Sehkmet posted:

I feel so smart right now. I had to tell someone because husband doesn't care until new socks materialize for him from this learning exercise, haha.

Magic loop is amazing and changed my knitting life. Especially where socks are concerned. I also love Travelling Loop, because I prefer to knit hats in the round but hate small diameter needles and dpns . Too drat fiddly.

Eta: swatch chat. I don't bother swatching for anything other than garments, I just go with recc'd needle size. Garments I always swatch, after two sweaters that came out unwearably large. (And I have an excess of largeness to begin with).

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 30, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah I never swatch for socks, now that I've made enough to understand what the yarn & needles I like to use will do.

I do all my socks toe up and try them on to make sure they fit right. I use superwash, which will grow a bit in the wash, but it will also end up shrinking to slightly smaller than it was originally after about 5-6 wash/dry cycles. So I know to fit with zero ease when knitting and they'll come out right eventually.

Caveat emptor, of course. It took me several socks to gather this data.

rocknrollmachine
Jul 18, 2011

Sehkmet posted:

I need to get better at this technique. I've had luck with ML when I'm doing toe up 2 at a time socks but any ML project with more than 20 stitches and it never comes out right. :/ Any cuff down socks I've completed is always 2 at a time with DPNs.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I'm doing cuff-down ML with 64 stitches. I'm having a hard time wanting to go back to five needling socks; this is just so easy and convenient!

My next series of goals is to learn toe-up socks, then ML toe-up, then two-at-a-time.

How do you do two-at-a-time with DPNs? :aaa:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sehkmet posted:

I'm doing cuff-down ML with 64 stitches. I'm having a hard time wanting to go back to five needling socks; this is just so easy and convenient!

My next series of goals is to learn toe-up socks, then ML toe-up, then two-at-a-time.

How do you do two-at-a-time with DPNs? :aaa:

Knit one sock inside the other! It's double knitting in the round, but with no crossed stitches.

I will never try this method, as I'd end up with a Very Thick sock on accident. (Oh, wait, I knit chunky yarn on 2's to get thick socks, maybe I should do this.)

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

effika posted:

Knit one sock inside the other! It's double knitting in the round, but with no crossed stitches.

I will never try this method, as I'd end up with a Very Thick sock on accident. (Oh, wait, I knit chunky yarn on 2's to get thick socks, maybe I should do this.)

oh my god that's amazing

I have never double knit either, though. That's also on my list of things to learn.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I'm working on some double knit socks:

Other side:

The hardest part of these is always avoiding gaps at the heel, and I ALMOST did it this time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

Other side:

The hardest part of these is always avoiding gaps at the heel, and I ALMOST did it this time.

OOoh, pretty!

Heel gaps are so annoying. I've taken to knitting into the stitch in the row below, then knitting the two stitches together next round. It helps some.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah, I did that but for some reason one side is always worse than the other. It's not egregious but it's there. I will see about patching it later.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Those are some seriously awesome socks. How warm are they to wear? I'm guessing they'd be a winter-only thing.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

Other side:

Those are amazing! What pattern is that? I love double knitting, although I've only done a few projects with it.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Those are some seriously awesome socks. How warm are they to wear? I'm guessing they'd be a winter-only thing.

Thank you! I have only finished a few pairs in worsted weight so far, and they are really cozy whenever my feet are cold, which is most of the time. I haven't tried them with shoes because they're pretty bulky but make nice bed socks. The one above is in fingering weight, and those will be ok with shoes I think, I'll have to see.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Those are amazing! What pattern is that? I love double knitting, although I've only done a few projects with it.

Thanks! The pattern is just a regular cuff down sock done with double knitting, and I learned how to do DK short rows for the heel from the Sockmatician-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruXDro3ahLQ

There's some official patterns for sale but I haven't got any. If anybody is interested I can try writing it up.

E:

Here's one of the worsted weight ones:

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Just ordered some 100% silk laceweight from Norway. Because I need to be spending money at all right now, especially on yarn...but I saw a pattern for a shawl based off lord of the rings with GLOW IN THE DARK BEADS and I'm only human.

(It's called Reforged Lace*, if anyone wants to look it up).

*Minor nitpick that the blade that was reforged was not the blade that glowed in the dark but who gives a poo poo really GLOW IN THR DARK BEADS YO.